PDA

View Full Version : Do you get "cold" in the chair waiting on your next match during a tournament?

mattman
10-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Last night I went to play in a weekend tournament...nothing too big...around 20 players or so. Start off with a break and run. I shoot pretty good, but lose the match. I go to the losers bracket and play a decent play, but was really on a roll. I beat him 3-0 within about 10 minutes. Next, I have to wait about 1.5 hours for my next match. Missed way too many balls that I shouldn't of, couldn't get my speed down and just couldn't basically get anything going.

Am I making excues, or do you get cold waiting on a match?
Thanks
Mattman

Drawman623
10-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Eddie Robin told me to watch a match while waiting for my next opponent. Stay focused on pocketing balls well and play strategy in your mind as the players shoot. You will be eager to get an inning when your match comes up and your head will be in the game.

StormHotRod300
10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes it does happen getting cold while sitting in the chair.

Unless your playing matches back to back and not getting a break. If you get a break that, is that long. about 30mins or so before the match, start to just hit some balls, playing position, basically getting warm again.

Atleast then your not comming in totally cold.

mattman
10-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Actually I did what draman suggest. Watching matches and thinking what I would do one each shot. When the match that I was waiting on was about 15 minutes from ending, I was going to shoot some balls, as you suggested, but all the tables were full.

arsenius
10-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Sometimes I get cold, othertimes (especially if the tournament starts in the morning) it gives me a chance to rest and I play better. One thing I have found is that practicing between matches usually makes me colder.

However, the last really big tournament I played in, I totally got cold. Here's what happened. There were two different brands of table (Min and Kangaroo, Korean brands), with a different brand of cloth on each. Completely different play. I played my first match (on a Min table) and won. Then I waited an hour or two for the next match. It comes up on a Kangaroo table with fresh carom cloth. The guy I was playing had caught a bye and the rule at this tournament is that you can't have any time to warm up--unless it's your first match!! So I get to play cold, on this weird (super fast carom cloth, and funny pockets and rails) table, and my opponent gets to warm up.

Well, he wiped the floor with me. I only made about 5 balls the whole match.:)

That day felt like I went to one room for the first match, and drove to another room for the second match!

Snapshot9
10-15-2007, 04:12 AM
it really bothers me is when I am in the hot seat, and I have to wait for about 3 matches to catch up before I play again. Anything over a 45-60 minute wait starts to get long.

I was on the flip side 2-3 weeks ago though, after Randy Copeland and I had a player's discussion about what I called a foul in the hill-to-hill game. We ended up playing it over with him breaking again, and he ran the table, and won the match.

I ended up seeing him in the final match, and he had been sitting awhile waiting while I played through 3 matches. I ended up zipping him both sets, and won the tournament.

Richardson
10-15-2007, 06:45 AM
this weekend i played in a tournament where i won my first 3 rounds (playing very well) and then had to wait for a little over 2 hours. i lost the flip and my opponent broke dry...........i missed a straight in ball and the rest of the match was terrible.

sucks :(