PDA

View Full Version : Banking on a Diamond

gpeezy
10-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Help my brain here. I'm having the hardest time being even remotely consistent banking on a Diamond table. We have a pool room that opened up here and it has 7,9 ft Pro Ams. I know they bank short but I am still having a hard time getting a feel for it. Short angle banks are made easily but banks with an open angle are about to make my head explode! Anyone have any idea of anything that may help? I plan on practicing more drills when I'm in my next practice session.

bomber
10-15-2007, 07:10 AM
I grew up playing on gold crowns up until the last few months when I moved to Louisville...home of Diamond Billiards. I am still getting adjusting to banking on them. I have a hard time banking on the Diamonds just like you do. They seem to play alot shorter than brunswicks and pocket speed is tough as well. I also have a difficult time holing up balls when I am playing one pocket. I play about two balls worse on a diamond, but I am getting better. All I can say is just practice, practice, practice. Time will get you adjusted to the tables. Work on your banks consistently...you will get there.

jay helfert
10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Help my brain here. I'm having the hardest time being even remotely consistent banking on a Diamond table. We have a pool room that opened up here and it has 7,9 ft Pro Ams. I know they bank short but I am still having a hard time getting a feel for it. Short angle banks are made easily but banks with an open angle are about to make my head explode! Anyone have any idea of anything that may help? I plan on practicing more drills when I'm in my next practice session.

Don't shoot any banks soft. Hit everything with speed and you will be consistent. Only time I slow roll a bank on a Diamond is playing One Pocket. Then I play it to run long, and just play pocket speed.

gpeezy
10-15-2007, 07:33 AM
They difinately have me in a fit. I usually bank pretty sporty but the banks on a diamond just react totally different to anything I've played on.

Actionhound
10-15-2007, 07:48 AM
thats funny cause i cant bank worth crap on any table other than a diamond... i bank GREAT on a diamond, but on any other table i cant bank for anything.

gpeezy
10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
by the way, just how much cash did that kitty cat have on him.

Actionhound
10-15-2007, 08:23 AM
not enough to brag about... i have a question for you by the way... i am sending you a pm gpeezy.

gpeezy
10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
pm answered////.....

gpeezy
10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
pm answered////.....

ez2h8
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Great thread and question!

I have always had a problem adjusting from a Gandy or GC to Diamond tables for banks as well. I wondered if it was my eyes or the equipment as the rails on the Diamonds seem thicker (from tip of rubber all the way back to the outside edge of the rail). I thought this depth perception messed with me or if the more solid feel/hit of the rails compared to other tables caused a quicker or more reactive bank. I also think the pockets on a Diamond are a tab deeper too which can jaw/hold up alot of shots. Maybe I am crazy. :)

No disrespect to any tables/brands here. I love Diamonds but always banked better on GC's, Centennials and Gandy's. Kim Steel's are a dream to play banks on as well. :D

ez