PDA

View Full Version : Kickass Jimmy Caras...

Peer
10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Jay Helfert wrote:
> Here we go again.
> [...]
> 3. Crane and Caras

As a kid, I had the pleasure to meet Jimmy Caras. While touring Scandinavia, he stopped by our pool-hall to play an exhibition 14.1 match, and to give us prodigy kids instructions.

However, what I remember most wasn't his teaching, but later that night, while playing our top guy, I was stunned by how this old fart could be so "lucky" -- every shot he made was easy, short and straight in. While the shots that our guy had to endure were all difficult -- long, cut-shots, etc. Needless to say, boring & old Jimmy Caras beat our flashy homie -- big time.

So this was the first time I realized that I was living like in a fishbowl -- seeing our local guy, my idol, getting smacked senseless by some old dude from the shallow continent.

Well, little did I know that I would later pick up this silly game again, and worse yet, that would be in California. My life is just an ongoing irony.

-- peer

jay helfert
10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Jay Helfert wrote:
> Here we go again.
> [...]
> 3. Crane and Caras

As a kid, I had the pleasure to meet Jimmy Caras. While touring Scandinavia, he stopped by our pool-hall to play an exhibition 14.1 match, and to give us prodigy kids instructions.

However, what I remember most wasn't his teaching, but later that night, while playing our top guy, I was stunned by how this old fart could be so "lucky" -- every shot he made was easy, short and straight in. While the shots that our guy had to endure were all difficult -- long, cut-shots, etc. Needless to say, boring & old Jimmy Caras beat our flashy homie -- big time.

So this was the first time I realized that I was living like in a fishbowl -- seeing our local guy, my idol, getting smacked senseless by some old dude from the shallow continent.

Well, little did I know that I would later pick up this silly game again, and worse yet, that would be in California. My life is just an ongoing irony.

-- peer

Caras came back after a ten year absence to win the U.S. Open Straight Pool in 1967 at age 57! Yes, the old dude could play a little. Mosconi did not like playing Caras, Crane or Cranfield. The three "C's" were his toughest games. But Willie was the best of them all. I'll give him that.

Peer
10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Jay Helfert wrote:
> Yes, the old dude could play a little.

Well, as a kid it was dreadfully boooring to watch, even though I later understood that this was the only way to play if you wanna win.

-- peer