PDA

View Full Version : Commentators?

Seminole Pro Tour
10-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Who's your favorite commentator while watching the pool shown on TV?

Blackjack
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
TV... not much to choose from besides Mitch...

AccuStats...
My favorite is the Billy Incardona - Grady Mathews combination. They present pool the way it is supposed be presented.

MikeJanis
10-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Contact the guys that do the Matchroom Sports (Batty Hearns) commentary. It is the VERY BEST with knowledgeable commentary and awesome COLOR commentary. I get excited everytime I listen to them.

"YES, YES, he makes the jump-shot, The Crowd is going wild!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG what a wondeful pot of that ball we just witnessed her in Cardiff........." The guy is always soo excited when he comments that it actually makes me want to be there and after being a witness to over thousands of events that is saying something.

You should also take into consideration how you want to market the event coverage. If you are just doing something for billiard internet sites you can get away with the same old thing as everyone else of having top pros speculate on what's gonna happen in the next shot. If you are going for television you need to get something way better than a few old pro's sitting around and guessing. You will need someone that can add excitement to your event.

I highly suggest you get a copy of the Cardif 9-Ball Tournament and listen to the commentators befor making anykind of decision.

Mj

JCIN
10-15-2007, 02:57 PM
In no particular order:

Buddy Hall
Billy Incardona
Grady Mathews
Kim Davenport

Most of the non-player commentators just don't do much for me. Spoiled by Accu-Stats :D

bigskyjake
10-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Danny D. "now here's da shat..... in 1964 I was on da road wit Junior Goff and..."

Jerry Forsythe- he's just straight up solid

Billy Inc. " uhhhhhh I'm going to disagree with you Danny I don't believe that would prove to be a prudent shot at this juncture"

Keith " oh man that'll get the colonel's troops outta the hot sun"

Drew
10-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Danny D. "now here's da shat..... in 1964 I was on da road wit Junior Goff and..."

Jerry Forsythe- he's just straight up solid

Billy Inc. " uhhhhhh I'm going to disagree with you Danny I don't believe that would prove to be a prudent shot at this juncture"

Keith " oh man that'll get the colonel's troops outta the hot sun"

You forgot

Danny D- "Well now he's gonna come around 6 rails to play the...oh no wait...he chose to just stop the ball for a straight in shot. I don't like Efren's shot choice here, I wouldn't have done it that way."

bigskyjake
10-15-2007, 03:22 PM
You forgot

Danny D- "Well now he's gonna come around 6 rails to play the...oh no wait...he chose to just stop the ball for a straight in shot. I don't like Efren's shot choice here, I wouldn't have done it that way."

You got it " Now here's da shat I been callin for all match, go two rails tin da 6, knock it on your side and leave im froze to da headrail"

asbani
10-15-2007, 03:28 PM
two of these three people would be the best for me. I prefer it to be Billy with option of the other two

Billy Incardona ; With

Grady Mathews

OR

Jim wytch

Gerry
10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Grady or Billy, but not together.....it gets distracting tho I like them both.

I really loved Weenie Beenie with that southern drawl.....RIP!

Buddy & Grady might be a good pair...talk about knowledge of the game!:D

Gerry

3andstop
10-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Danny D is the great! Stick him together with Grady and Billy, IE Cook vs Hopkins in One Hole, and you have a classic. (too bad Pat didn't let em ramble a little more) :)

Never-the-less, his style and sense of humor are right up my alley. Knowledge as well is tremendous. One person I wish I could have met personally.

Great work Danny if you are reading .... :)

(love that guy)

Thecoats
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I really like Danny and Billy together, they really compliment each other, Billy is kind of structured and solid in his thinking and Danny is kind of a wild maniac. Freddy the Beard is kind of fun as well and Howard Vickery and Nick Varner make a good pair I have a few one pocket tapes with those two and they do good analysis. Beanie Weanie was really awesome, too bad he did not do more, I also like Jim Rempe with that back east accent.

-don

pooltchr
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Here's a unique thought. Turn the volume down and just watch. If you go to see a live event, you don't have anyone talking all the way through it, and it is a nice experience. There are many times when I don't want anyone telling me what I just saw, or what they think about this shot or that shot. I enjoy watching a match and absorbing what I see for myself.
Steve

Jimk
10-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Mark Wilson. Insightful, passionate and articulate. Also Kim Davenport and Billy I.

3andstop
10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Many of the videos I own are purchased completely on the basis that Danny D. is commentating. Turning it down may be an option during one session of viewing, but I get lots of belly laughs hearing him talk.

I've been around this game for quite a few yrs and so many of the things he says hit home.

One that comes to mind is a 14.1 match where Ervolino was playing Strickland. Ervolino was working on an 80+ ball run and Billy asked Danny if Ervolino wore contact lenses. Danny replies ... I don't think so, I don't think he can afford them.

Then Billy says ... (LMAO) ... we aren't gonna start this again are we? Ha ..

Danny says something like, no, no this isn't a joke, this is just the way pool players are. If he had 20 thousand in his pocket he wouldn't waste it on contacts. Inferring that Ervolino would rather leave it in his pocket to gamble with. Thats great stuff :) How do ya turn that off? :)

lfigueroa
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Who's your favorite commentator while watching the pool shown on TV?

Of the regulars I've watched on the 1pocket tapes:

Hands down, Freddy is the best.

Knowledgeable, insightful, and flat out funny, with his comments and anecdotes.

Billy is #2. A very analytical approach, always willing to listen to the other guy's point of view (unless its Grady's :-)

Grady is #3, a bit pompous, but always very knowledgeable.

Danny is #4, a bit too full of himself, often making disparaging comments about the play of guys on the table, when he's already been knocked out of the very same event.

Lou Figueroa

3andstop
10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Danny is #4, a bit too full of himself, often making disparaging comments about the play of guys on the table, when he's already been knocked out of the very same event.

Lou Figueroa

I can attest to age effecting execution, :) but it doesn't mean it would effect knowledge. Since he's my hero :) LOL, I'll defend his remarks by saying there's always more than one way to move in one pocket. I do understand your feelings on that however. :)

Most all the commentators are great to listen to.

I do believe Billy Incardona is an excellent one pocket player with an outstanding eye for great moves.

The worst commentating I've heard is when George Fels and Jeremy Jones did a 14.1 tape. I can't remember off hand who the players were for sure, I think it was Rempe and Engert, but dry... oh my god, saltine crackers couldn't be drier. And Jeremy was sniffling every 15 seconds throughout the tape, like he was doing lines while he commentated ... :) Now there is a candidate for turning off the volume.

Short of that one, I like them all quite a bit.

George Fels
10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
IMO that's a very good call, Ifigueroa. If it's any game other than 1-P, I'd go with Mark Wilson among the Americans and Jim Wych abroad. GF

3andstop
10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Speak of the devil :)

No offense George, but IMO it was kinda bad. :(

edit ... FWIW, I love and read your book over and over on mastering pool :D

bud green
10-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I didn't think the Fels and JJ commentary was that bad- actually, I thought JJ was very interesting to listen to as someone who isn't an expert at 14.1.

Freddie and Buddy are probably the best guys to listen to on the old one pocket tapes. They both have a certain character to them that just seems to have the right kind of atmosphere about serious pool and the gambling "air" that attracted me to the game.

Billy I. and Grady are both excellent also. Grady takes a lot of grief on here for some of the things he's posted-right or wrong- but I own over 200 Accu-Stats tapes, and he's on quite a few of them, and he almost always praises the players more than he ever seems to go out of his way to talk bad about anyone.

Weenie was good, Wilson is good but a bit dry, and guys like Dave Maddux,etc.. all did good jobs but I still think the best tapes were when you had Freddie, Buddy, Billy, or Grady talking about Detroits' hey day for gambling, legends matching up, stories about the old legends. It's not just the knowledge these guys possess, its the way they think about the game. Hard to explain, but I guess its similair to me to listening to Coltrane compared to any saxaphone players of today- just hitting the notes isn't the same thing as making a classic album, you need to infuse some style into it to make it special.

Find a copy of Ervolino vs Sigel (one pocket) if you want to know what I'm talking about. The commentators make the game seem more colorful and interesting.

Not a big fan of the English screaming style or any bland technical coverage. ESPN is worth watching only if you're too cheap to buy real matches. Nice people doing the commentary but between the short races, lack of any edge to the commentary, and fans clapping because they think making a shot and getting hooked is a good play, it can be unwatchable at times.

I really hope JCIN's site makes it because they're trying to make real pool exciting again.

jnav447
10-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Guess I'm with the majority who appreciate Billy, Grady, Danny, Freddy and the other internet/ACCUSTATS announcers more than the TV people, with the exception of Jerry Forsyth, who is a solid pro. There was a guy who did some commentary during last year's Derby City Classic who was absolutely hilarious. I can't remember (or find) his name. Maybe Jay can figure out who I'm talking about. Jay and Tony Anigoni did good commentary at the DCC last year, as well. I'm a great admirer of Allen Hopkins, and I don't think he does a bad job on ESPN, but he's worn a little thin over the years. Poker has Norman Chad - where's our Norman Chad?

worriedbeef
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
There was a guy who did some commentary during last year's Derby City Classic who was absolutely hilarious. I can't remember (or find) his name. Maybe Jay can figure out who I'm talking about. J

maybe you mean jimmy mattaya?

uwate
10-18-2007, 12:59 PM
I have watched alot of accustats. Whenever I get sick and lay in bed, I end up watching accustats just about the whole day. Same thing goes for whenever I can't sleep. My wife probably wishes I would get rid of all the vhs accustats I have. Boxes and boxes of them. Especially since just about all of them have been converted to dvd. For me, the ones I go back to the most seem to always have Grady/Billy on them. At the end of the day though, its the pool that is really driving me to watch them and not the commentary. One of my favorite matches is a no commentary Earl def Efren double hill match from 1987( i think). It was a finals match and I often choose it over other matches where the commentary is insightful, like the Grady/Buddy Hall player review match. The player review matches are really good, I highly recommend them to anyone who is just getting started into accustats.

Here is one team that hasn't been mentioned yet. Grady and Kevin Spells on the US Open 1p tapes from 1996. Not even sure who Kevin Spells is, but those two seemed to mesh really well.

As much as I like him as a tournament director, I don't think Scott Smith is the best choice to do the commentary. He falls into the routine of describing the shot, like "Reyes pockets the six and plays position to shoot the 4 next. He makes the 4 and goes one rail to shoot the 5 next".

I think one of the marks of good commentary is knowing when you do not have to talk.