PDA

View Full Version : ONE POCKET PLAYERS !!! Tourney in Las Vegas !!!

doubleteersc
10-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok so Myself and another "old-timer" from Pool Sharks in Las Vegas tried to get a weekly 1Pocket Tourney going last year and we did the deal for about 6 months and poeple werent showing up. I manly think that it was due to the fact that he wanted to have the tourney start @ 10am and I dont think people wanted to show up @ 8 or 9 in the morning to warm up. We basically did a preset handicap. If you go to Onepocket.org, the handicap system they have up there is what we used. We had three players vote on how handicap each player and If you won the tourney 2x in a row, you would go up a ball. We would lower you a ball as we saw fit if you were learning the game. We were totally fair and tried our best to make it where a player just learning the game had a gunuime shot to win the tourney while learning instead of just "donating to the cause", while at the same time really making the better player work for the win.
Now, we are going to give it another shot and we are gonna get the house more involved and try to get the payouts higher so we can draw players from even nearby states to participate. Before we start this though I would like your opinions as Players, what would attract you to come play in this tournament. ( Besides money !!! ) We are also hoping that this will help bring some more action to the room !!! We are going to start the tourney being once or twice a month for now, unless I can do it weekly, and it would probably be on Saturday or Sunday Afternoon. Buy in would be at least $20 and we are going to figure out the exact payouts once we get the house to hopefully add some money as well. I really want this to be successful so give me your thoughts on what you think would work. WE REAALY WANT TO KNOW !!! :D

MisterBanker
10-15-2007, 04:30 PM
What is the race to?

wayneward
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Pm sent concerning day and time of event.

doubleteersc
10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
It would be Race to 3. Finals would be a race to 4.

back2good1
10-15-2007, 04:55 PM
If they are going to try and pull people from out of state... I would think they would need add at least $1000. I would also say pump up the entry fee to $50 so you can build up a prize fund.

-Back2good1

doubleteersc
10-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Well Were just trying to get the tourney off the ground to be succesful locally first, but eventually want to get to that point where we can have a prize fund of the amount. Asking the house to add $1000 is a lot to staart off I think. But Keep the suggestions coming. Remember I did ask for sugestions that didnt involve the prize money.

gulfportdoc
10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Now, we are going to give it another shot and we are gonna get the house more involved and try to get the payouts higher so we can draw players from even nearby states to participate. Before we start this though I would like your opinions as Players, what would attract you to come play in this tournament.
If you're looking to draw from out of state, you might wish to start out with monthly scheduling. Regarding guys who live 1 or 2 hours away: a semi-monthly or weekly event would probably draw. I think the handicaps are fine.

Re the entry: $20 or $30 would be reasonable for a weekly event. You could double that for a monthly tourny. The room owner might be able to get added money from one of their distributors, such as Budweiser. Budweiser is very advertising conscious, so the local guy might come up with several hundred.

Good luck. I wish we had a regular decent one-pocket tournament here!

Doc

doubleteersc
10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks Doc, thats a good idea. Didnt think of that !!! I was thinking the same as far as the entry fee. $30 seems good that way the payout is decent enough to want to show up for. Then again of you want to learn the game or just love playing 1 hole its reasonable and beats donating $50 or more to the local money players every time you want to play !!!! Shoot man I did that for like 2 years before I befriended a local guy who has become a really good friend and regularly works with me on my game and teaches gems of 1 pocket knowledge from the guys he learned from like Freddy, Artie, Bugs, and Cannonball. but thats not what this thread is about. hahahaha !!

Snapshot9
10-15-2007, 06:36 PM
If you are wanting to draw from out-of-state, then Sunday is out, because people have to get ready to go to work on Monday, and long drives late Sunday night are not viewed very well.

Have it on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month.
Have the house match the pot to start with.
Have a $40 entry. ($10 green fee included)
Start at 1 pm on Saturday. (10 am is too early to 'think' for non-morning person).

8 players = $240 + 240 (house added) = $480, $270 1st, $130 2nd, $80 3rd.
16 player = $480 + 480 (house added) = $960, $500 1st, $250 2nd, $125 3rd,
$85 4th.

I think this looks pretty good to start with.

doubleteersc
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
If you are wanting to draw from out-of-state, then Sunday is out, because people have to get ready to go to work on Monday, and long drives late Sunday night are not viewed very well.

Have it on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month.
Have the house match the pot to start with.
Have a $40 entry. ($10 green fee included)
Start at 1 pm on Saturday. (10 am is too early to 'think' for non-morning person).

8 players = $240 + 240 (house added) = $480, $270 1st, $130 2nd, $80 3rd.
16 player = $480 + 480 (house added) = $960, $500 1st, $250 2nd, $125 3rd,
$85 4th.

I think this looks pretty good to start with.

that sounds good to me but I you have to remember taht players that are learning arent gonna be to hype on paying a $40 entry fee for a tournament if they dont think they can win. There are a lot of players who want to learn to play the game here, but dont want to pay to play in a tourney they dont feel they have any chance placing in. I think the handicap system works well as its the same one we use before and every player got a copy of that system. And they didnt mind paying $20. I think we can do $40 if its every 2 weeks and $50 for once a month. But to get it off the ground I think $30 or $20 will be good for now. Who know maybe we can do one of each where the 3rd Sat of the month will be $50 and bigger pot and then the $30 one the first sat of the month so we can cater to both level of players. Then after awhile the players that are just trying to learn might feel comfortable to get in the $50 tourney and it can keep growing. That to me is the key. If we start right and build from there, the tourney can get bigger !! Imean Pool Sharks held Qualifyer for the IPT !!! Those things took 2 days so who knows. To me the skys the limit of you start off right, learn and build form there!!!

I'd like to hear some ideas or opinions on this form the players who havent really taken to 1pocket but have an interest in learning the game. What do you guys think about this?

vagabond
10-15-2007, 08:31 PM
I'd like to hear some ideas or opinions on this form the players who havent really taken to 1pocket but have an interest in learning the game. What do you guys think about this?

I will drop by now and then to watch if it is held in day time.The reason-Sharks has low ceiling and smoke tobacco stays on your face.In the evening u have more customers and more smoke and more suffering,ofcourse this is my problem.
I do not like to play any tournaments because of the ridiculous amount taken by some players and ofcourse the tournament rules do not prohibit them.When I drop by I will introduce myself.Your `DOC` knows me.
with a shot clock I will play for fun with any body on the planet earth except Tony Chohan.:cool:

doubleteersc
10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
what do you mean by " the ridiculous amount taken by players and the ournament rules dont prohibit them". Sorry I dont know how what you mean.

doubleteersc
10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Anybody else got ideas or anything ??? Common guys !!! pipe in on this !!!

jay helfert
10-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Anybody else got ideas or anything ??? Common guys !!! pipe in on this !!!

If that guy in your avatar is playing, deal me out!

That would be the infamous Jersey Red in all his glory. Every time I look at his photo, I think about how much I miss him. He was one of my all time favorite pool players, and not because of his playing ability, which was awesome. Red was just plain fun to be around 24 hours a day.

JoeyA
10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
If you're looking to draw from out of state, you might wish to start out with monthly scheduling. Regarding guys who live 1 or 2 hours away: a semi-monthly or weekly event would probably draw. I think the handicaps are fine.

Re the entry: $20 or $30 would be reasonable for a weekly event. You could double that for a monthly tourny. The room owner might be able to get added money from one of their distributors, such as Budweiser. Budweiser is very advertising conscious, so the local guy might come up with several hundred.

Good luck. I wish we had a regular decent one-pocket tournament here!

Doc

Come on over to Buffalo Billiards FREE ONE POCKET TOURNAMENT. It's every Friday, hanicapped and FREE. Starts at 1:30 pm sharp. I will tell Buff that I need to give you 9-8. :p :p :p

Just some footnotes for the LV tourney. Out of state players don't like handicapped tournaments. They get pegged too high to have a chance and are not likely tocome to town to play some one pocket when they have to give up the world.

Handicapped tournaments suck. It makes sandbaggers out of prospective players. It robs the individuals from seeing where they really stand in the pecking order.

NO handicap. If you win the tournament, you have to sit out the next tournament or one, two or three tournamens-whatever makes it fair and satisfying to the other players. This way the same guy doesn't always win the tournament. Also, keep the number of games SHORT.. Race to 3 is ok if it is single elimination but I would suggest race to 2. It's only $30. Make it even more challenging where the luck of the break could determine the winner and make it a race to 1, flip a coin for who breeaks. This way you geta chance to beat up on a better player and all you have to do is win the flip, make a good break and now you've got bragging rights. :-)

Get some added money no matter how small. Make a big deal of a lessor player beating a better player. Use the added money to put a small bounty on the better player. Don't make the bounty so high that the better player is going to split the bounty with his buddy. Just something like $30 if you knock the best player in the tournament out in a single elimination.

Good luck with your tournament.
JoeyA

JoeyA
10-16-2007, 03:27 PM
with a shot clock I will play for fun with any body on the planet earth except Tony Chohan.:cool:

Whew! I had to re-read that one.

For a minute there, I thought you were going to high-roll someone. :D
JoeyA

Deadon
10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Like Joey said, and you should have a package or promo deal with a local motel/hotel and maybe a restaurant so that the "nut" for playing doesn't make it cost prohibitive.

Tom In Cincy
10-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Monthly One Pocket tournaments

Race to Two DE, $20 entry fee

House adds $10/player up to 30 players.

We usually get between 24 and 32 and had as many as 43 for a ONE Day tournament. EVERY Month. Players travel from all over northern California (100+ miles for many of the players)

Results are always in the monthly news paper On the Break News.
Please check out the article at http://onthebreaknews.com/Page12.htm

Consistancy is one of the most important KEYS to a successful tournament.
Treat the players with as much respect as possible and remember, if they aren't there, neither are you.

gulfportdoc
10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Come on over to Buffalo Billiards FREE ONE POCKET TOURNAMENT. It's every Friday, hanicapped and FREE. Starts at 1:30 pm sharp. I will tell Buff that I need to give you 9-8. :p :p :p

Thanks for the offer, Joey, but of course I work for a living, so Fridays are out for me. If you can get the Buffster interested in having a monthly or bimonthly one-hole event for $30-$50 entry on a Saturday, I'll drive over from Gulfport and play every one of them. Alternatively, he might consider a semi-annual event for a higher entry. They'd come from 5 or 6 states...

Once we get our new room owner "broken in", I'll start working on him to have a 1P tournament. The previous owner had agreed to have one with $1000/1500 added, but then Katrina hit.:eek:

Doc

vagabond
10-16-2007, 08:41 PM
what do you mean by " the ridiculous amount taken by players and the ournament rules dont prohibit them". Sorry I dont know how what you mean.

mr.dubleteersc Sir,
I meant to say that some players take too long to shoot every time they come to the table.As per the rules they are not doing anything wrong by playing slow because the rules do not prohibit slow play.The way you responded to me made me reconsider about meeting you in case I run into you.thank u:cool:

doubleteersc
10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
mr.dubleteersc Sir,
I meant to say that some players take too long to shoot every time they come to the table.As per the rules they are not doing anything wrong by playing slow because the rules do not prohibit slow play.The way you responded to me made me reconsider about meeting you in case I run into you.thank u:cool:

Fo sho !! I try not to jump to conclusions !! I just wanted to be sure I understood what you were trying to tell me !! Thanks !! :D

vagabond
10-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Whew! I had to re-read that one.

For a minute there, I thought you were going to high-roll someone. :D
JoeyA

I am glad to know that you had sense of appreciation of nuances in my post.
Around 5 months ago I did offer to Three top ranked pros to play them with a shot clock race to 4 even games at least for 5 grand but only in Albuquerque,NM.We talked in person and not on the phone.They never showed up.I also threw a open challenge on AZB soon after the action match between Efren and scot frost in Derby City this year. I never received any offers and may be the readers did not take me seriously.Recently I anounced on CCB of Billiard digest that my offer ends.
I do not have any any interest to offer any further explanation on this particular issue.:D :cool: :D

doubleteersc
10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Anybody else have ideas or opinions on this? All helpis appreciated!!!

JoeyA
10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
I am glad to know that you had sense of appreciation of nuances in my post.
Around 5 months ago I did offer to Three top ranked pros to play them with a shot clock race to 4 even games at least for 5 grand but only in Albuquerque,NM.We talked in person and not on the phone.They never showed up.I also threw a open challenge on AZB soon after the action match between Efren and scot frost in Derby City this year. I never received any offers and may be the readers did not take me seriously.Recently I anounced on CCB of Billiard digest that my offer ends.
I do not have any any interest to offer any further explanation on this particular issue.:D :cool: :D

Stop it already. Are you trying to snatch SmorgassBored's crown? :D
JoeyA