PDA

View Full Version : Questions on a Predator cue

crappoolguy
10-15-2007, 04:03 PM
I want a really stiff and hard hitting cue (although I like soft tips :confused: ) and I've heard Predators hit like that? Also a question about the Z2... can anyone who has hit with one give comment about it? Because I am more used to snooker so I am thinking that the small diametre is a good thing. I don't mind not being able to use a closed bridge with it at all (used to snooker again). Thank you in advance. :)

lights_out
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
I've owned Predators with the original Z shaft and although they played great, they had a somewhat muted, dull hit. I too like the crisp, sharp hit and now play with one of my three Schons, all with the Predator Z shaft. This combination gives me the type of hit I like. I don't know if it's the Uni-Lock joint or the butt materials that made the difference since they're still Z shafts but definitely a big difference.

arsenius
10-15-2007, 11:49 PM
My first predator (an older one) hit hard and stiff. The one I got about a year and a half ago doesn't have a very stiff hit. I tried someone elses (newer than mine) predator on my cue and it hit stiff. I don't know if the last one I bought was just an exception, but I would say no, they don't all hit stiff, but maybe most do?

poolplayer2093
10-15-2007, 11:53 PM
i prefer predators with the joint type like a schon has.

McChen
10-16-2007, 12:19 AM
i think if you are a snooker player the z2 shaft will be great for you. it has a smaller tip and a euro taper. i like the way it plays, i have several z2's and they all hit pretty stiff. i play snooker too and i prefer the z2 for pool. i am able to use a closed bridge with the z2, though i mostly use the open bridge. i also like soft tips as well, i currently use a sniper which is more medium. i've been looking into molavia's, they are supposely very soft.

Greg9Ball
10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
It sounds like the Z2 shaft will work well for you. It is pretty stiff and has very low deflection.

If you are looking for the ultimate in stiff, you may want to also consider a Schuler cue with an European taper. It was designed as a 3 cushion billiard taper, however, I know of several players who use it to play pool. Fran Crimi used to play on the pro tour with a Schuler cue with a European tapered shaft. It is quite a bit stiffer than the Predator Z-2.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cueobsessions/schuler/schuler_shaft.htm

Good luck!

Shawn Armstrong
10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
If you are used to snooker style cues, you might like the Z2 with the new butts constructed with the C4 technology. I found that they hit like a plank - very stiff, and a lot of feedback from the butt. If you want a stiff cue, have you ever thought about a billiard cue? Also, since you are in England, you may want to try John Parris. He made Steve Davis's "pool" cue for him - you might get a nice handmade cue from John at a price comparible to the Pred with the taper you like.

Jude Rosenstock
10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I cannot tell the difference between the Z-shaft and the 314 and I don't stink. Obviously, they feel different but they play exactly the same for me.

Peer
11-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Shawn Armstrong wrote:
> Also, since you are in England, you may want to try John Parris.
> He made Steve Davis's "pool" cue for him -

Not only did he build one for Steve Davis -- John Parris is currently making me a pool cue (according to a weird spec that I finally convinced him to follow ;^)

-- peer

MasterClass
11-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I think this is the first time i hear predator hit being described as hard and stiff! Southwest maybe.

I thought that perhaps one of the reason it is low deflection is because it is whippy as hell!

I too use to be a snooker player. I use a 314-2 predator shaft. It a big jump but i think having too small a tip size might be detrimental as the pool balls are much bigger then snooker balls.

Deflection is closer to that of the ash wood snooker cue. Hence it will help with the transition. I felt that 314-2 were much better then the 314 as it hit with a more firm feel.

Do try it out on your own. I know there are some ex snooker player converts that swear by the Z shafts.

WesleyW
11-30-2007, 11:08 AM
If you are used to snooker style cues, you might like the Z2 with the new butts constructed with the C4 technology. I found that they hit like a plank - very stiff, and a lot of feedback from the butt.

That's funny. I've played with the C4 technology before, but it feels hollow. Dead hit, no feedback at all. But it sure plays great. I just don't like the feedback.

If you want a stiff cue, have you ever thought about a billiard cue?...

I've considered it ;) , that's why I'm playing with a billiard cue :D . Extreem stiff, and wow what a feedback you will get with a wooden joint. But I wouldn't recommend it, if he played snooker before. Billiard cues are really thick. Thicker than poolcues.

I think this is the first time i hear predator hit being described as hard and stiff! ...

Funny, isn't it? I don't think many knows what a stiff hit is. The 314 for example feels dead. When you hit it, you hear a sound like "TOK". It's more like a dead hit than a stiff feedback.

@crappoolguy, you should try a Mezz Hybrid Pro (II), I've heard these shafts are quite stiff.

Flipmode
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I sent you a PM.

CTYankee
11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a Schon, stiffest of my not so big collection... I have a 5k1 (C4 butt you guys are talking about) and it is not as stiff. IMO, of course.

Straw_Hat
11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I use a z shaft on my jacoby and like the hit and feel.. i have tried and tested the z2 a lot, and for me the only difference in the two that I can tell is that the z2 tends to have a lot less vibration when you play.. it feels similar to that of a southwest cue to me, and I like a little more feel in my cue... so depending on what you're more comfortable with I don't know which to recommend.