PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open Broadcast Quality

TATE
10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Here was the statement by BCN:

"This is the Internet broadcasting breakthrough that we have all been looking for," said Rob Sykora, President of Billiard Club Network. "Viewers around the world will be able to watch the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship on their PC in full-screen, TV-quality that is equal to or greater than conventional cable or satellite channels. All you need is a standard broadband or high speed Internet connection."

The reality is - NOT. Anyone getting good quality? It looks like the same as the old crappy internet webcast stuff to me. Nowhere near TV or cable quality.

Chris

Ps. still like it though.

GG11
10-15-2007, 08:25 PM

I actually have great quality. Of course there are quirks, but for the most part I'm getting unbelievable up-to-the-second coverage of some great matches. They've got the scores across the screen and some stats (still don't know what those stats are trying to tell us though :rolleyes: )

I'm really impressed. I think they've done a great job trying to keep us avid fans entertained. It's definitely better than nothing and I don't mind paying the fee. Would I prefer not too .. of course, but I'd rather pay than not have anything at all.

And might I add I love Jerry and Rachel's commentary. For beginners, they are doing a remarkable job!! Way to go guys!!

I'm so thrilled with this whole thing given I have to work this week ... BOOOO! :mad:

jnav447
10-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I would agree with your assessment. Good picture and sound but nothing breathtaking. However, after struggling mightily just to get a picture and sound, I'm grateful for what is there.

beetle
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Nothing like a little hyperbole! I still like it too, but I am waiting for the day when streaming at full screen actually works like TV.

Bassmaster
10-15-2007, 08:33 PM
First timer here...and its not TV quality...but its fine and Im enjoying it.

TATE
10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
I would agree with your assessment. Good picture and sound but nothing breathtaking. However, after struggling mightily just to get a picture and sound, I'm grateful for what is there.

Struggle is the word. We have some guests tonight - so I tried to get it running on a laptop to not disturb them - nothing doing. So many people have had technical problems. They need to pay more attention to their web cast vendors.

Tim-n-NM
10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree it is not TV. But I'm very grateful that this option is out there for purchase. I'm a pool fan and this is our Open Championship.

BigCat
10-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Here was the statement by BCN:

"This is the Internet broadcasting breakthrough that we have all been looking for," said Rob Sykora, President of Billiard Club Network. "Viewers around the world will be able to watch the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship on their PC in full-screen, TV-quality that is equal to or greater than conventional cable or satellite channels. All you need is a standard broadband or high speed Internet connection."

The reality is - NOT. Anyone getting good quality? It looks like the same as the old crappy internet webcast stuff to me. Nowhere near TV or cable quality.

Chris

Agreed. The picture is grainy and unfinished (even with a broadband connection). I was also even more disapointed in the full screen version. The granularity was even worse in this mode. Pixel clarity was far too low to even be considered close to cable or satellite tv. Not sure how BCNtv came to their conclusions about this (or perhaps they knew but figured people would pay anyways).

JimS
10-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Yesterday during the day my pic was so choppy it was not watchable but last night it was fine. I wonder how that's explained?

Bastian
10-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow.. you guys are really nice. If I had paid the $70 and received the typically pixelated stream that is all too common, I'd be SO pissed. The technology and bandwidth is there for very good quality streams.. go to abc.com and watch a few shows for free in what I consider TV quality streams. When BCN boasted a newer and better technology, as part of their campaign, they should be held accountable.

For what it's worth, If they had said 'typically random quality of stream depending on your connection and other hard to measure factors' and 'but it's the only coverage of the open available', I might have bought it.. it was, to be completely honest, the gimmicky nature of their website combined with claims of more than I believed they had to offer that turned me away.

SpiderWebComm
10-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Live streaming is a complicated process. Many factors determine whether or not the end-users' experiences are good ones.

One thing I'd never say is the outcome is at least as good as cable or satellite. TV/Satellite are not dependent on server hosting and inconsistent end-user connections or venue infrastructure. WAY too many variables, a lot can go wrong.

Full-screen live streaming can be done one of two ways:

high resolution (1024x768) which takes over a megabit of committed bandwidth (almost no one streams this way because it reduces your qualified audience a great deal... ie. less $$$$ in collected revenue, more $$$$ in hosting). No one streams events in native resolution at high bandwidth. The audience that can view this trouble-free is too small for a business model. However, this would be closer to "TV"

lower resolution, maybe at a 500k bit-rate. When you go full screen, the player (Flash, etc.) will stretch the image, giving you a blocky-looking image. The benefit is you still get a full screen image, but it uses larger pixels and less bandwidth. This sounds like what they're doing - but everyone does it for logistical and financial reasons.

I can appreciate their efforts, we do this stuff every day.

Bigtruck
10-16-2007, 08:03 AM
BCN Should team up with The Action Challenge folks!! I had my computer hooked up to a plasma and the quality was no where near that of The Action Challenge. The different camera views on the featured matches and the commentary was excellent. The streaming sub-par.

The Action Challenge - Great streaming, almost TV Quality, 1 camera view.

BCN - Great multiple camera views, poor streaming.

Come on guys, team up!!!

Ray

TATE
10-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Live streaming is a complicated process. Many factors determine whether or not the end-users' experiences are good ones.

One thing I'd never say is the outcome is at least as good as cable or satellite. TV/Satellite are not dependent on server hosting and inconsistent end-user connections or venue infrastructure. WAY too many variables, a lot can go wrong.

Full-screen live streaming can be done one of two ways:

high resolution (1024x768) which takes over a megabit of committed bandwidth (almost no one streams this way because it reduces your qualified audience a great deal... ie. less $$$$ in collected revenue, more $$$$ in hosting). No one streams events in native resolution at high bandwidth. The audience that can view this trouble-free is too small for a business model. However, this would be closer to "TV"

lower resolution, maybe at a 500k bit-rate. When you go full screen, the player (Flash, etc.) will stretch the image, giving you a blocky-looking image. The benefit is you still get a full screen image, but it uses larger pixels and less bandwidth. This sounds like what they're doing - but everyone does it for logistical and financial reasons.

I can appreciate their efforts, we do this stuff every day.

Very interesting, thanks. My friend, who is also a technical type, had commented that it was unlikely they would be able to deliver the quality described. In the end, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I can see what's happening on the table and hear Danny D. and Jim.

Chris

Thecoats
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
BCN Should team up with The Action Challenge folks!! I had my computer hooked up to a plasma and the quality was no where near that of The Action Challenge. The different camera views on the featured matches and the commentary was excellent. The streaming sub-par.

The Action Challenge - Great streaming, almost TV Quality, 1 camera view.

BCN - Great multiple camera views, poor streaming.

Come on guys, team up!!!

Ray

The US Open coverage is okay and I am glad to have it but whatever The Action Report guys used was the nuts, TARs streaming video can give the US Open stream the 6 and out:cool: :cool:

I cannot wait for the next two action challenges they are going to be really good.

-don

Double-Dave
10-16-2007, 10:16 AM
D'oh .

Double-Dave
10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I have just bought the live-stream for today, the quality is good.
HOWEVER: They promised a 720x480 feed and it is not. My screen is set to 800*600 and it fills around half my screen, around 400x300.
It does look nice, and I think better than the Actionreport feed, but if you
sell me 720x480 then give me that.

Dave

btw: Get him John!

Bigjohn
10-16-2007, 10:21 AM
First timer here...and its not TV quality...but its fine and Im enjoying it.

In your honest opinion... is it really worth the $50 to $70 that their charging for it.

TATE
10-16-2007, 10:40 AM
In your honest opinion... is it really worth the $50 to $70 that their charging for it.

To me it is. For one, with the open feed it's nice to see "non-champions". There is probably 5 to 6 hours a day of viewing. It's fun seeing players who don't make it to the screen very often. It is, in some ways, a relief to see some other players you know are excellent players miss some easy shots and dog and so forth. I know it's a lot of pressure. We tend to see more of the Efren's and other champions who play well under pressure and at super-human levels, that few other players can hope to aspire to - so watching players who are maybe "A" players going at it is educational.

If you have the time to view it, and you want to see a variety of players who do not make it to television or tape very often, this is the ticket.

Chris

GG11
10-16-2007, 10:49 AM
To me it is. For one, with the open feed it's nice to see "non-champions". There is probably 5 to 6 hours a day of viewing. It's fun seeing players who don't make it to the screen very often. It is, in some ways, a relief to see some other players you know are excellent players miss some easy shots and dog and so forth. I know it's a lot of pressure. We tend to see more of the Efren's and other champions who play well under pressure and at super-human levels, that few other players can hope to aspire to - so watching players who are maybe "A" players going at it is educational.

If you have the time to view it, and you want to see a variety of players who do not make it to television or tape very often, this is the ticket.

Chris

I totally agree! It's the closest thing to being there you can get and it's definitely a treat to see all these names I've heard of on AZ and Inside Pool finally have a face!

And watching even the pro's dog it helps me remember we're all human! :p

TATE
10-16-2007, 10:53 AM
I totally agree! It's the closest thing to being there you can get and it's definitely a treat to see all these names I've heard of on AZ and Inside Pool finally have a face!

And watching even the pro's dog it helps me remember we're all human! :p

These tight tables are giving some players fits too.

Chris

Fatboy
10-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Wow.. you guys are really nice. If I had paid the $70 and received the typically pixelated stream that is all too common, I'd be SO pissed. The technology and bandwidth is there for very good quality streams.. go to abc.com and watch a few shows for free in what I consider TV quality streams. When BCN boasted a newer and better technology, as part of their campaign, they should be held accountable.

i agree....

beetle
10-16-2007, 12:09 PM
i agree....

Fatboy, were you ever able to get logged on to see the streaming?