PDA

View Full Version : Michael Wong - time bandit - wins first match!

poolmouse
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
My sources tell me Michael Wong won his first match. Michael wore his opponent down. One spectator was overheard saying "Dave Krolick didn't have a chance against the Time Bandit". Dave showed up for the match with a potted plant, a water sprinkler, a good book (War and Peace) and a large pillow. "It was over by the third chapter" (referring to Michael's first inning).

The window is open...will Michael Wong's next opponent survive against the Time Bandit?

Poolmouse

eaglesfan44
10-16-2007, 01:10 AM
The next round Michael Wong is going to be put to sleep by sitting in his chair because he is playing T-Rex and Tony will run him over! Bye bye Time Bandit!

ace911
10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Mike Wong wants to know if you want to play some, you fish???

marknyc
10-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I'll take PoolMouse in that matchup.

eaglesfan44
10-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Told ya Wong was going to get beat. He can't mess with Big Tone! :)

Njhustler1
10-17-2007, 07:35 AM
What tournament was this is in? I once played the "time bandit." I needed toothpicks to prop my eyes open. :D

Jude Rosenstock
10-17-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm not going to deny the validity of any of these stories. Michael Wong is notorious in these parts. However, this is the US Open. Don't you guys have something better to talk about than a guy playing in one of his first major events? I mean, this isn't the Tri-State Tour. He's not going to have any impact on when the US Open ends, I can assure you. Besides, I can't help but have respect for the non-pros that play in these things.

cuetechasaurus
10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm guessing he plays really slow.....is he Basavich slow? Or Archer slow? I can't imagine anyone being slower than Kid Delicious.

Jude Rosenstock
10-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm guessing he plays really slow.....is he Basavich slow? Or Archer slow? I can't imagine anyone being slower than Kid Delicious.

I think you can compare Dick Lane to Basavich or Archer. You can compare Jeremy Jones to these guys. Michael Wong isn't one of these guys. He's just a guy from New York who plays decent pool at a very slow pace. He's like, waiting for a subway when you needed to be at work 10 minutes ago slow.

Njhustler1
10-17-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm not going to deny the validity of any of these stories. Michael Wong is notorious in these parts. However, this is the US Open. Don't you guys have something better to talk about than a guy playing in one of his first major events? I mean, this isn't the Tri-State Tour. He's not going to have any impact on when the US Open ends, I can assure you. Besides, I can't help but have respect for the non-pros that play in these things.

That is was the US Open, I did not realize. All kidding aside, I'm a little jealous. Good luck Mike!

Fleece3
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Basavich is Luc Salvas compared to Micheal

Fragged
10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Basavich is Luc Salvas compared to Micheal

....He is not slower than Danny and he is a damn nice kid who is totally dedicated to the game.

CrownCityCorey
10-29-2008, 09:21 PM
This guy seems nice enough, but he is a nightmare to play. :banghead:

Especially in an "organized" tournament with pace of play rules that are not at all enforced. :shakehead:

3 1/2 hours later........:boring:

This is only 9-ball...no brainer! :shrug:

jamesroberts
10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
wouldnt a shot clock take care of slow play
i dont understand at the open a match taking 3 or 4 hours.....
i think a 45 second shot clock is about right maybe 30 and that would speed up matches sufficiently

Fuji-whopper
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Corey said he was put in a coma by the slow play, I've known him for a long time so he was very honest about his first match that took something like 3.5 hours. Michael is a very nice guy and I don't believe he does this on purpose but man I wish he would play faster, his game HAS to improve if he speeds up I just know it!!

jamesroberts
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Corey said he was put in a coma by the slow play, I've known him for a long time so he was very honest about his first match that took something like 3.5 hours. Michael is a very nice guy and I don't believe he does this on purpose but man I wish he would play faster, his game HAS to improve if he speeds up I just know it!!

Thats real talk!!!!!!!

poolmouse
10-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Yep, he slows down to negatively impact your game. It's the only way he can win. He's a joke within the tournament circle. I'm sure he's a joke within his family circle as well (grown adult, living with mom and dad, spending 60 hours in a poolroom, no job, etc.).

Poolmouse

poolmouse
10-30-2008, 04:57 AM
I don't believe he does this on purpose

He sees the effect slow play has on his opponents so he uses it to his advantage. Whether it's a conscious decision or not is irrelevant. Over the past 30+ years, I've run into a few people who play (almost as) slow, but who responded to constructive criticism and increased their pace. There is no need to play like Lou Butera (although I think I'm faster than Lou was), but a reasonable pace is, well, reasonable.

Most people avoid him, but there are times you may be forced to play him in a local tournament. That's when you'll remember this thread.:grin-square:

Poolmouse