PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Rules????

sidepocketkid
10-16-2007, 01:44 AM
We were attempting to play "oddball" the other nigts, and I know we were forgetting the rules. Can anyone help?

We racked all 15 balls... whoever made the 1 and 7 were married... honest attempt on all shots (except break)...and the most odd balls wins?.. or is it the highest sum of the oddballs???

Please help!

Also... how do you determine who gets paid and what? (We were only trying to play $0.25 just to have some fun)

Thank you all!!!

-S

GreekTycoon
10-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Kid-

Oddball is a forgotten game...but one of the most enjoyable for 4 players. It's fun and a good wagering game.

The rules are simple. Some of this may be obvious, but I'll assume you want the full run-down. Choose a shooting order for the 4 players - usually reachin down into the ball return and blindly grabbing a ball. Then, rack the balls as you would for rotation - with the one ball on the spot.

The number 1 player breaks. If a ball is pocketed, player 1 stays at the table. If he/she doesn't make a ball, number 2 shoots, etc. After that, play with basic 9-ball rules - balls must be played in rotation, with a push-out after the break. Ball in hand if the correct ball isn't contacted, illegal safety, etc.

Here's the good part (finally). The person who sinks the 1, and the person who sinks the 7 are partners. Odd balls count 1 point each (8 of them) and the high total (add the numbers on the balls) counts 2 points, for a total of ten points. Both odd and even balls count towards the total.

So if one team sinks 6 odd balls and has a winning point total, say 94, they have 8 points, and the other team obviously has 2 points. So the winners each get paid on the difference of 6 points. So you play for some amount of $$ per point.

My memory isn't clear about what happens if the same person makes the 1and the 7...but I'm quite sure that the person who makes the next odd ball becomes their partner (eg: 9, 11, 13 or 15). If someone runs out (unlikely) everyone pays him.

One last thing - and I apologize for the long post - but lets say player 1 makes the one ball, and misses the 2. The next player makes the 2, then misses the 3. The next 2 players both miss the three, and it comes back to player 1, who proceeds to run out. Then, you would be player 1's partner.

Tycoon

cigardave
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Kid-

Oddball is a forgotten game...but one of the most enjoyable for 4 players. It's fun and a good wagering game.

The rules are simple. Some of this may be obvious, but I'll assume you want the full run-down. Choose a shooting order for the 4 players - usually reachin down into the ball return and blindly grabbing a ball. Then, rack the balls as you would for rotation - with the one ball on the spot.

The number 1 player breaks. If a ball is pocketed, player 1 stays at the table. If he/she doesn't make a ball, number 2 shoots, etc. After that, play with basic 9-ball rules - balls must be played in rotation, with a push-out after the break. Ball in hand if the correct ball isn't contacted, illegal safety, etc.

Here's the good part (finally). The person who sinks the 1, and the person who sinks the 7 are partners. Odd balls count 1 point each (8 of them) and the high total (add the numbers on the balls) counts 2 points, for a total of ten points. Both odd and even balls count towards the total.

So if one team sinks 6 odd balls and has a winning point total, say 94, they have 8 points, and the other team obviously has 2 points. So the winners each get paid on the difference of 6 points. So you play for some amount of $$ per point.

My memory isn't clear about what happens if the same person makes the 1and the 7...but I'm quite sure that the person who makes the next odd ball becomes their partner (eg: 9, 11, 13 or 15). If someone runs out (unlikely) everyone pays him.

One last thing - and I apologize for the long post - but lets say player 1 makes the one ball, and misses the 2. The next player makes the 2, then misses the 3. The next 2 players both miss the three, and it comes back to player 1, who proceeds to run out. Then, you would be player 1's partner.

Tycoon
Although it's been 40 years since I played the game, that's pretty much the way that I remember it.

GreekTycoon
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Dave-

Thanks for the back up! It's been 20 years for me, but I remember a lot of fun afternoons playing for $1 a point, and having a blast.

Tycoon

cigardave
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Dave-

Thanks for the back up! It's been 20 years for me, but I remember a lot of fun afternoons playing for $1 a point, and having a blast.

Tycoon
You're welcome GT... back when I played it we didn't play BIH rules... but rather make your best attempt.... but I believe that the best way to handle an illegal hit today would be to apply the common rules that are used in ring games... that is, the next player has the option of making the previous player try again to make a legal hit... for as long as it takes if he doesn't like the lay of the balls following each attempt.

And when my friends and I played odd ball back in the mid-60s we played for a dime a point... and by a dime I mean 10 cents. ;)

Flex
10-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Kid-

Tycoon

Aha! So now I know how you became a Tycoon... those poor suckers probably never knew what hit 'em!

Flex

GreekTycoon
10-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Flex-

That's the way I like it...it's the old Trojan Horse thing. Hope you had a good drive...

Tycoon

Flex
10-18-2007, 07:36 AM
GT,

Sure did, and stopped off at Hagerstown Billiards Cafe (right on the way) and who did I see when coming in the door but Carl Jones, (who snapped off the Planet Pool Tour Stop Open Division in April, taking first ahead of the likes of Mike Davis, Brandon Shuff, Shaun Wilkie and other strong players http://azbilliards.com/thepros/2000showtourney2007.cfm?eventnum=143 ) who greeted me with the unlikely, "Ah, a road player! Even has the suspenders! Wanna play some $10 eight ball over there on that little table?" "No, thanks. Aren't you Carl Jones? And didn't I read somewhere about you winning a tournament?" "Yeah, that was a few months ago. 8-ball, I can't keep up with those young guys playing 9-ball" Yeah, right!!

So I get a 9-footer way in the back corner and start practicing. Nice Gold Crown with normal pockets, having lots of fun. After about 45 minutes a couple of young guys sipping their brews come over to the area, no cues in hand, and don't stare, but also aren't looking at anything in particular, kind of a curious sight. Inexplicably, I can't make a ball!! LOL By golly though, those zingers into the corner pocket consistently rattle in the jaws, 6 or 7 times in a row. Finally, I manage to pot one. Whew! Where'd my stroke go?? LOL

I wonder why they never even said hello?

Flex