PDA

View Full Version : The most pristine hit...?

Peer
10-16-2007, 03:28 AM
In my quest for the most natural hit, I'd like to know the following:

(1) For a medium hard center shot (whatever that is), approximately how far does the cue-ball have to skid in order to catch up to its roll?

(2) Related to the above question, should any english (including draw or follow) be applied to get a neutral hit?

(3) And most importantly; whenever Bob Jewett makes fun of me, should I egg his house or key his car?

-- peer

Gerry
10-16-2007, 04:10 AM
In my quest for the most natural hit, I'd like to know the following:

(1) For a medium hard center shot (whatever that is), approximately how far does the cue-ball have to skid in order to catch up to its roll?

(2) Related to the above question, should any english (including draw or follow) be applied to get a neutral hit?

(3) And most importantly; whenever Bob Jewett makes fun of me, should I egg his house or key his car?

-- peer

Sounds like you are talking about what I would call a stun shot?.

1. Depends on the cloth and the cleanliness of the balls IMO

2. I use the slightest of outside to reduce skids.

3. I wouldn't, He might be a closet Ninja! :D

Gerry

Patrick Johnson
10-16-2007, 05:58 AM

If "catch up to its roll" means "end up rolling naturally (with no skid at all)", then it could be a foot or so on dirty cloth up to the entire length of the table on new cloth (depending on what, exactly, you mean by "medium hard"). In either case forward rotation increases gradually over that entire distance.

If by "get a neutral hit" you mean "cause the cue ball to start rolling naturally (with no skidding) immediately after hitting it" - you can cause this by hitting the cue ball with about 80 percent of maximum topspin (40 percent of the distance from centerball to the top of the ball).

NOTE: You can also get "natural running english" by applying the same principle to sidespin.

Hack his computer and install Windows.

pj
chgo

Snapshot9
10-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Question #1 is a physics problem. The speed of the shot, and medium-hard is subjective, would determine along with the hit how far it skids before the roll toke, but just offhand, I would say when the speed of the shot had a 5-10% decrease in speed.

In the Psycho-babble Pool world, there is a theory that when a Pool player first starts playing Pool, and he gets a house cue of his choice that he likes, and really listens to the hit it makes when shooting, that in the years later, in his search for the perfect cue, he seeks to replicate the sound that that first house cue that had that sound that rung through his head when he first started. What do you think?

mjantti
10-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Hack his computer and install Windows.

pj
chgo

Omg. Patrick turns out to be one mean guy.... :eek:

Peer
10-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Patrick Johnson wrote:
> Hack his computer and install Windows.

Hopefully I'll never become that diabolic.

-- peer

Flex
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Question #1 is a physics problem. The speed of the shot, and medium-hard is subjective, would determine along with the hit how far it skids before the roll toke, but just offhand, I would say when the speed of the shot had a 5-10% decrease in speed.

In the Psycho-babble Pool world, there is a theory that when a Pool player first starts playing Pool, and he gets a house cue of his choice that he likes, and really listens to the hit it makes when shooting, that in the years later, in his search for the perfect cue, he seeks to replicate the sound that that first house cue that had that sound that rung through his head when he first started. What do you think?

The first house cues I shot with were pieces of junk, with bad tips, were crooked and gunked up.

I have no idea what they sounded like, or felt like, other than junky, but when I started getting into cues, and their differences, I suppose my taste evolved. What I play best with, IMHO, is a Meucci HOF-2 with an OB-1. I hate the hit, don't like whatever feedback there is, but have to say the cue plays extremely well. Contrariwise, my favorite cue as far as hit goes is a Schmelke full-splice sneaky pete, with a pro-taper hard maple shaft with a 12 mm tip and a milk dud atop it. Sucker's alive.

Flex

Thunderball
10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Depends on the cloth and the cleanliness of the balls IMO
Agreed.

And eggs are the way to go.

bigskyjake
10-16-2007, 11:08 AM
After keying the shit out of his car the flaming sack of cat poop on the doorstep is always a nice touch

remember put a nineball in the cat poop so when he goes to stomp it out he steps on the nineball thus slipping when the ball takes off and lands his ass in the stinky stinky poop.

When he gets up and sees a poop covered nineball that will also send a message

Peer
10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Snapshot9 wrote:
> but just offhand, I would say when the speed of the shot
> had a 5-10% decrease in speed.

To me it looks like there isn't any gradual reduction of skid, but more like a sudden point where the cueball catches up.

> he seeks to replicate the sound that that first house cue
> that had that sound that rung through his head when he
> first started. What do you think?

Even though I think billiards/pool is very much a mental game, and hence, components like sound, cue-feel, etc., are important -- I doubt that anyone would like to replicate a house cue. In my case, as a kid our pool instructor picked one cue that he thought I should purchase, so I hinted that to my lovely mother who, without hesitation, gave me the money behind dad's back, (yea, it was kind of pricey).

By the way, thank you Bigskyjake for your very comprehensive advice, (which I'm sure Mr. Jewett will bogey).

-- peer

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Don't worry about it tiger, I'm here to help :D :D

BWTadpole
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Snapshot9 wrote:
> but just offhand, I would say when the speed of the shot
> had a 5-10% decrease in speed.

To me it looks like there isn't any gradual reduction of skid, but more like a sudden point where the cueball catches up.

In Physics, we found out that a ball, any ball skidding on any surface has to reduce its velocity to 5/7 its initial velocity to begin rolling.