PDA

View Full Version : My last knock of....

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Jimmy Wytch, Im sure he is a great guy, he does put alot of work into his job, if I met him I'd probably like him, BUT.......For the love of God he must stop commentating!!!!

the straw that broke the camels back was this..." Why do they call him 'Scott the shot', is he some kind of player or something? Scott is the best tournment director in the history of time and one hell of a guy and Duh he might have to know a little about pool to refree shots for good hits etc. I heard Scott commentating for 5 minutes today and the could give Jimmy the 5 out the breaks and 8 on the wire to 11 to Jimmy and still have the nuts commentating.

I dont like to ever post negitative things or knock people, so again I'm not knocking Jimmy, he is an assett to pool but he would be well suited to do something else, and how the hell would not know Scott plays with a nickname "the shot"?

enjoy the tournment,

Archer is 22-0, my $$$ is on him. Pagulion the lion is 2nd,

Jimmys commentating is like my spelling, LOLOLOL what are we gonna do??

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Jimmy Wytch, Im sure he is a great guy, he does put alot of work into his job, if I met him I'd probably like him, BUT.......For the love of God he must stop commentating!!!!

the straw that broke the camels back was this..." Why do they call him 'Scott the shot', is he some kind of player or something? Scott is the best tournment director in the history of time and one hell of a guy and Duh he might have to know a little about pool to refree shots for good hits etc. I heard Scott commentating for 5 minutes today and the could give Jimmy the 5 out the breaks and 8 on the wire to 11 to Jimmy and still have the nuts commentating.

I dont like to ever post negitative things or knock people, so again I'm not knocking Jimmy, he is an assett to pool but he would be well suited to do something else, and how the hell would not know Scott plays with a nickname "the shot"?

enjoy the tournment,

I hear that man, Jimmy is pretty horrible in the booth

I have a DVD of Grady and Keith playing 1p at DCC when Grady wins and Scott steps into the booth for about ten minutes. It's friggin classic, Scott forgets where he is and goes " Oh f### I bet on Keith"

poolhustler
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM

enjoy the tournment,

I agree with you Fatboy, but who the hell typed this post for you??? There's actually "some" correct grammar and hints of punctuation!!!!!!

Not that I'm always correct myself...:D

Amazing!!!!!!! Good job buddy!!

Russ.........

Shawn Armstrong
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
If you're going to knock him, at least spell it right. It's WYCH. FWIW, I find that I actually like Jim's commentary better than BI or GM. That's why there are more than two flavours of ice cream.

BTW, I know it bugs people on here when he calls the balls by the colours instead of the numbers. Problem is, unless you're a good pool player, you don't know which ball is the 4 until you ask someone. My wife actually enjoys watching pool when Jim does commentary, because she doesn't have to keep asking me "which one's next?".

Ktown D
10-17-2007, 12:21 PM
That was Ken Shulman not Wych but you are correct that he is painful to listen to. I really have a hard time listening to Danny D too. He is funny occasionally but I don't think he has made a correct prediction on a shot selection or pattern yet. Why can't they just bite the bullet and get Grady and Billy I?

Johnnyt
10-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't know why any of them try to say how a shot should or will be shot. Each player sees it different and there are at least two ways to get shape on any shot and some times four or more. Nothing else for them to talk about I guess. Johnnyt

bagofpaper
10-17-2007, 12:39 PM
If you're going to knock him, at least spell it right. It's WYCH. FWIW, I find that I actually like Jim's commentary better than BI or GM. That's why there are more than two flavours of ice cream.

Billy will rock Jim's commentary any day of the week! And he does it everytime they commentate together.. :D

I think part of the problem is they have Jim play the part of the I don't know anything observer.. Billy tell me how it is which is annoying if the questions are simple-minded. e.g. Why is Scott's nickname "the shot"? Come on!!! It would be nice if you could mute one of the commentators independently of the other.

suckershot
10-17-2007, 12:55 PM

BTW, I know it bugs people on here when he calls the balls by the colours instead of the numbers. Problem is, unless you're a good pool player, you don't know which ball is the 4 until you ask someone. My wife actually enjoys watching pool when Jim does commentary, because she doesn't have to keep asking me "which one's next?".

I agree here. Jim's much better than Grady, and I like his style a little more than Billy, although I think he and Billy just about make a perfect team. They are informative without being condescending.

And to those who claim Jim doesn't know anything, I don't think you're actually listening. I find Jim to be fairly knowledgeable, and if there's something he doesn't know or isn't sure about, he can lean on Billy for that.

I'll take Jim and Billy any day.

Fragged
10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I heard Scott commentating for 5 minutes today and the could give Jimmy the 5 out the breaks and 8 on the wire to 11 to Jimmy and still have the nuts commentating.

he is an assett to pool but he would be well suited to do something else, and how the hell would not know Scott plays with a nickname "the shot"?

enjoy the tournment,

..... He is a far better communicator than you I am afraid. Your posts are more like a cryptoquote puzzle. I just dont have the time or desire to figure out wtf you are trying to say.

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
..... He is a far better communicator than you I am afraid. Your posts are more like a cryptoquote puzzle. I just dont have the time or desire to figure out wtf you are trying to say.

I would be worse than anyone ever in the booth, no dount about that. I dont like to knock anyone, Jimmy i'm sure is a brilliant man, good for our game etc, he just isnt the best on the mic especially for as long as he has been doing it, having said that its better than nothing.

my posts are terrible to sometimes because I cant spell and my grammer isnt the best, I speak better than I write, but i'm not the sharpest guy around, and probably shouldnt have started this thread, my appologises to everyone.

Gregg
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM

enjoy the tournment,

I'm really sick of these bash the pro threads.

If your gonna come with Jimmy has to go...that fine, but ONLY if you come with a replacement, who you feel would do a better job.

And "Anybody but him" isn't good enough.

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm really sick of these bash the pro threads.

If your gonna come with Jimmy has to go...that fine. But since you bring it up, you better have an answer for a replacement. And "Anybody but him" isn't good enough.

This is the only person I have ever bashed, but I dod give him credit for improving a bit, and it isnt a personal knock.

I do have the replacment, Jay Helfert-I'm listinging to him now.

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm really sick of these bash the pro threads..

And what exactly is Jimmy a pro at, shitty commentary ?

worriedbeef
10-17-2007, 01:40 PM
jim wych perhaps does lack the specific detailed pool knowledge being a snooker player, but he's still very knowledgeable and he's comfortable presenting and with the mic for tv.

by the way somebody suggested danny d's shot predictions are always wrong. you know the first time i listenind to him he came across a bit like a senile old man lol, but i tell you what, i've listened to him a lot now, and he knows a HELL of a lot. shot selection wise just for starters, he knows everything. EVERYTHING. i have a lot of respect for danny d, he's extremely knowledgeable.

worriedbeef
10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
And what exactly is Jimmy a pro at, shitty commentary ?

......snooker.

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Honest to God truth, just after he(Jay) got out of the booth 5 minutes ago I call Jay helfert, i'm still on the phone with him now, he just put me on the phone with Jimmy and we spoke AND he is one hell of a guy, I told him Jay cant play banks and we all had a laugh, the other thing is his voice is normal-not his TV voice, I just hung up for jay, wow talk about real time. I'm embarassed about my comments, but he needs to use his real natural voice and he would be better. nice guy.

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
jim wych perhaps does lack the specific detailed pool knowledge being a snooker player, but he's still very knowledgeable and he's comfortable presenting and with the mic for tv.

by the way somebody suggested danny d's shot predictions are always wrong. you know the first time i listenind to him he came across a bit like a senile old man lol, but i tell you what, i've listened to him a lot now, and he knows a HELL of a lot. shot selection wise just for starters, he knows everything. EVERYTHING. i have a lot of respect for danny d, he's extremely knowledgeable.

I love listening to Danny D., he's been around the game so long he gave Moses 10-6 and robbed him for about 500 denarius :D :D

shinobi
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Might as well add my two cents.

BI and GM are awesome. Great insight from both, intelligent commentating.

JW, yes it sounds like contrived drama. Probably appeals to non-players just fine. Not really my cup of tea.

I also like Buddy Hall and Danny D as commentators.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, Jay Helfert is also a gooder :) And while I'm editing my post, I might as well add that I'll take JW over Mitch L anytime.

Gunn_Slinger
10-17-2007, 01:48 PM

enjoy the tournment,

I don't think that was Jimmy doing that event, but I could be wrong. Jimmy has been around pool forever and knows Scott. Jim also has been huge in the snooker venue for years, in Canada and Overseas.
I'm sorry you don't like his commentating, I do, and have for years. He has done alot of television in Canada and has a lot of fans.
Anyway, I really think your off base knocking him down.
mrs.g

Thecoats
10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I would be worse than anyone ever in the booth, no dount about that. I dont like to knock anyone, Jimmy i'm sure is a brilliant man, good for our game etc, he just isnt the best on the mic especially for as long as he has been doing it, having said that its better than nothing.

my posts are terrible to sometimes because I cant spell and my grammer isnt the best, I speak better than I write, but i'm not the sharpest guy around, and probably shouldnt have started this thread, my appologises to everyone.

Not everyone is a Rhodes Scholar, I like your posts and I can easily understand them. Obviously you are a very smart person or you would not be as successful as you have been in business. Now back to this post listening to Jim Wyche is like listening to nails on a chalk board for me, I personally would prefer Danny D. and Billy I, or Jay and Billy.

-don

JimS
10-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't like that Jim has to raise his voice and try to make things really exciting. It sounds phony. Normal conversation would be fine and he knows the game pretty well. Come to think of it.. his tendancy to dramatize everything is not as prevelant as in the past.

I'm just grateful that Eva's husband didn't get this gig.

Mark Wilson is the guy that I like. What has happened to him? Maybe busy minding the store?

blackeee
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM
He's awful. How bout that "transition" line. Wych that is.

Scaramouche
10-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Fatboy

Shame on you. Better watch out. Us Canucks on this board may just get mad enough to grab our hockey sticks and head down to Las Vegas to give you instruction on the merits of Canadian commentary. Of course, you can call on JAM to aid you. It would be good for American unity to see the white guy and the Indian fighting a common enemy.:D

James Woolsey former director of the U.S. C.I.A., testifying before the House armed services committee
"Basically, we tried to conquer Canada twice, once in 1775 and the other in the War of 1812, and they whooped us twice."

TX Poolnut
10-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I think I could listen to the commentary team of Buddy Hall/ Danny D. all day long. Jimmy W., not so much.

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't like that Jim has to raise his voice and try to make things really exciting. It sounds phony. Normal conversation would be fine and he knows the game pretty well. Come to think of it.. his tendancy to dramatize everything is not as prevelant as in the past.

I'm just grateful that Eva's husband didn't get this gig.

Mark Wilson is the guy that I like. What has happened to him? Maybe busy minding the store?

it is phony, i spoke to him today and he sounds great, nice guy, i'm glad he has his fans and more power to them,