PDA

View Full Version : Worst Commentator ever

iba7467
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Inspired by the complaints of Jim Wych, I thought I would ask for the opinions on all our commentators both good and bad.

I will give my personal first.

Worst - I don't see how anyone could disagree ... Jimmy Mataya (annoying voice, mannerisms, did he ever lose a match for cash?)

Best - possibly Freddy (light disposition, knowledgable, interesting stories both old and new)

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Inspired by the complaints of Jimmy Wetch)

Hold up boss, Jimmy Wetch ( the St. Paul strangler) is friggin cool
Jim Wych (the tool) is who you're talking about

I would rather watch a talking sea otter eat a basket of kittens than listen to Wych

iba7467
10-17-2007, 01:12 PM

I would rather watch a talking sea otter eat a basket of kittens than listen to Wych

Correction made

s'portplayer
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I like Mataya, has a great personality and tells it how it is. Can't ask more from a commentator than that.

Dawn Hopkins could use some personality when she's on the air, but does a fair job.

Haven't really seen too many that just get under skin more than some of Chris "BOOMER" Berman in his early ESPN days, when he was commentating some pool matches.

Jude Rosenstock
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I have a great idea. Once the results are in, we should have a Worst Commentator Contest. I mean, get the absolute worst guys in the world to comment on the finals of the US Open and then post a poll right here in azb on who we think stinks the most. The stinkiest commentator in pool will then get the opportunity to do commentary on the next Jeremy Jones v Johnny Archer match-up. Any thoughts?

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
i like them all, except for Wytch and Beard when he is in a bad mood, when Freddy is in a good mood he is awesome, Jay is great, Billy, Grady, Scott the shot-is good but it aint his gig, danny d gets repetitious,

the worst i ever heard was in the netherlands on a snooker event where they put 2 guys in the booth that didnt know anything at all about the game, they were soccer guys or something that just were winging it, they had no clue they litterly didnt know what end of a cue to chalk. it was actually funny it was so bad,

Wytch could be good if he calmed down a bit, he has improved in the past few years,

asbani
10-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Worst - Jimmy Mataya (I watched a ring game on youtube one day. and I muted the sound cause of him)

Best - Billy (Always make the match really interesting in his speech & he is so outgoing person)

Blackjack
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
The stinkiest commentator in pool will then get the opportunity to do commentary on the next Jeremy Jones v Johnny Archer match-up. Any thoughts?

That's sounds great! I'll take the job!

First off, I'd like to thank our sponsors of this event ...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/Lintroller.jpg

Johnnyt
10-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Worst Howard Cosel. Johnnyt

JimS
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I get upset by Ken Shumans apparent belief that if a mic is in front of him it MUST be spoken into without pause or rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit the mute most all the time he's on because he tends to do acknowledgments of sponsers, etc, ad nauseum. Always wants to acknowledge everybody several times.

Today he started doing pretty well during the Charlie Williams match but after Scott Smith left the "booth" Ken went off on another tangent requiring that he acknowlege everybody over and over again. I would much prefer some quiet conversation about the game at hand and if the announcer doesn't have anything to say about the match/game then just stfu! (didn't mean to get profane... it sometimes get to me... that motor mouth stuff :eek: :rolleyes: )

TATE
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Inspired by the complaints of Jim Wych, I thought I would ask for the opinions on all our commentators both good and bad.

Worst - I don't see how anyone could disagree ... Jimmy Mataya (annoying voice, mannerisms, did he ever lose a match for cash?)

Best - possibly Freddy (light disposition, knowledgable, interesting stories both old and new)

I like Jimmy Wych. He's probably done more professional commentary than anybody and he does know something about pool.

I didn't think Mike Sigel was very good at it. Keith did a couple of matches and, well, he plays great pool.

I think Grady, Danny D., Buddy Hall, and Billy Incardona are all excellent.

I've heard Tony Annigoni a couple of times, and he's hilarious. He does an impression of Earl that could make the big stage.

Our own Jay Helfert is one of the best. Witty, great voice, tons of knowledge about the game and the players. I really enjoy hearing Jay's commentary.

Chris

Fatboy
10-17-2007, 01:48 PM
That's sounds great! I'll take the job!

First off, I'd like to thank our sponsors of this event ...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/Lintroller.jpg

Thats the strongest post I have seen in along time. LOL. he is 22-0 right now, Whats the line he wins?

someone give me a bet on this-I want Archer and fair odds.

the9ballroller
10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I hate Mitch Lawrence...nuff said.

Cornerman
10-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Worst: Barry Tompkins... is there anyone close to how bad he was?

Best: Tough Call, but on in international television scale, Jerry Forsythe did an excellent job.

Fred

Southpaw
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Jimmy Wyche gives Cosel the 7 when it comes to horrible commentating. JMO.

Southpaw

jnav447
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Worst - Sid Waddell, a British commentator who does commentary for darts, snooker, and sometimes pool. He sounds like Olive Oil on speed when he gets revved up, and is impossible to understand.
Best - Jay Helfert. Just flawless, impeccable commentary. ESPN should hire him.

crappoolguy
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
My least favorite would have to be either Jim Wytch or Billy Incardona.

uwate
10-17-2007, 02:55 PM
You think Incardona...the voice of Accu-stats...was the worst?

wow thats incredible...

How Billy can even be put into the same category with Wych is gonna really amaze people and maybe rub wincardona the wrong way. Your talking about fine wine and maddog there, not even the same species of commentators.

My picks are:
worst: Mataya with a dead heat second place finish to Wych and Barry Berman.

Best: I always liked Grady the best with Billy and Freddy coming in a close second. Danny D, Buddy Hall, Varner and Jay also did pretty good, especially at one pocket. Mark Wilson wasn't bad either, I think him and Grady made a pretty good team. Some of my favorite matches are these Cleveland 10ball matches that Grady and Wilson did. I think who I like the best depends alot on the game played. Weenie Beanie was pretty good at 1p but I dont think he did any 9ball commentary.

9ballprodigy
10-17-2007, 03:16 PM
worst-
sid waddell - omg, can anyone understand him? "binger-banger"? "give'um the hogwarts"? is this guy making up words as he goes along?

danny di leberto -sounds like a senile old man commentating.

danny- "well, lookee here! he could go to the side rail with a lot of inside spin and come around three rails like this, this and this!"

other announcer- "uh... i don't think i would go that way, i mean he could just stun the bal..."

Danny- "nononono... i like this way more."

best-
bill incardona
grady matthews

when they are commentating, they are spouting out pure gold. i remember both of them commentating for a game between efren reyes and takahashi (i think) kunihiko. efren played every shot exactly how they described it.

s'portplayer
10-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Just a lil TAP TAP for Grady, Billy, and Buddy as some of the best. How much fun would it be to get all three of them in the booth at once?

OH WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!

How about them do the Shane-Earl match, now tell me if that wouldn't be some fabulous commentating. Don't know if that would be possible, but man that alone would be worth tuning in to see.

Fast Lenny
10-17-2007, 03:27 PM
I definately cant stand Mitch,how did he get that gig anyway?I dont care for Dawn or Jeanettes commentary,i do like Allen although.As for the people who dont like Mataya,i think he is great and funny,i mean alittle egotistical.Jerry Forsythe and Incardona are also some notable pics.

dave sutton
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
the hands down worst is the mosconi cup guys...

its like watching soccer the way they yell.

dawn is pretty bad. she is always wrong but shes a good friend of mine so i love her

chilli66
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow! People bagging on Sid Waddell! I could not agree more! I think it was in the late 70's in the UK when he started doing the darts commentaries & my folks hated it. I was horrified when I started to hear him over here.

I'm not too familiar with many of the pool commentators so I'll throw in a great snooker one, "Whispering" Ted Lowe. The best by far, even with the occasional faux pas like "For those of you at home watching in black & white, the pink is behind the blue." Priceless!

chilli66
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Ugh. Double post.

3andstop
10-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I had a few thoughts on worst until someone mentioned Mataya. I think his tone is ridiculous. He is annoying trying to sound like an old James Cagney movie.

I remember a 14.1 tape that a fly was constantly landing on the players cue while they attempted to shoot. Billy Incardona commented that it must be a Mataya fly looking for the limelight. ha .....

Mitch Lawrence has nothing to add to any game and is no more than the mike holder for whom ever his sidekick is at the time.

I still like Danny D. and especially when he is with Billy I.

I'll tell ya another guy who is both extremely knowledgeable and colorful, but only did a few accu-stats tapes and thats Dallas West. I really enjoy his commentary and banter.

crappoolguy
10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
You think Incardona...the voice of Accu-stats...was the worst?

wow thats incredible...

How Billy can even be put into the same category with Wych is gonna really amaze people and maybe rub wincardona the wrong way. Your talking about fine wine and maddog there, not even the same species of commentators.

I thought I'd suprise someone with my choice of Incardona. I don't really have a problem with what he says - that's all good - it just the way he says it. I don't know why but he just really bugs me. Unless I'm thinking of a different person... :D

PoolBum
10-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Danny D, Buddy Hall, Varner and Jay also did pretty good, especially at one pocket.

Varner always adds insight about the game in his commentary, if I can just fade that nasal twang of his.

SlickRick_PCS
10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a shot at this one:

The worst commentator that I have heard so far is (and yes... let's beat him with a piniata stick) is Sid Waddell (If I'm not mistaken, he was the one that screamed out on the Reyes vs. Yang: "WHAT'S THIS??? A PALM PUSH SHOT!!"... if so, that's the guy). I mean, it's like I just want laugh at him for his sound pitch. Mitch Laurence has improved so far but I remember that he used to say pretty odd things that would want an amateur audience to absorb from which is why I would somewhat put him in the worst commentator list.

Danny Diliberto should be honorable mention, but due to his age (20, I assume :p) I give him props for being such a big ball of knowlege on the mic.

Best ones in my list are: Jerry Forsythe, Mark Wilson, "The Professor" Grady Matthews, Billy Incardona, Freddy the Beard, and (if it ever existed) Minessota Fats cause the man is just too damn funny.

Scaramouche
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9GoGAkkONPs

Just so you have the gold standard of commentary to use for comparison.:D

3andstop
10-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Grady is a great player and a knowledgeable commentator for sure. A classic legend. But ..... :)

But, boy, can he step on his partner during commentary. He gets wrapped up in trying to use every word in the english language before a match is over that he starts it up before his partner is finished completing a thought. :)

Once again, should you have this tape, a good example is Efren Reyes vs Steve Cook in 1999 DCC One Pocket.

I thought Billy Incardona was gonna duct tape his mouth a few times. It seemed early on Billy simply gave up and shut up, diverting his thoughts to some chocolate cake he had in his hotel room. :)

bud green
10-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Non-pool player commentators are usually the worst. Front men like Tom Kelly or Lawrence just seem ridiculous talking about a game they can't play but they get hired because they'reprofessional mike holders and wear nice suits.

By far the worse commentator who is on more than just a few tapes made by Accu-Stats is Mike Shamos who did commentary on a bunch of three cushion videos. It's horrrrrible. Half his commentary is about how the refs get trained, he updates the scoring average every freakin shot, and his tone and slightly condescending attitude are really annoying...especially since a pool business owner I know saw him play and said he sucked at the game.

Thank God Fleming filmed a bunch of events and got guys like Grady, Freddie, Billy, Buddy, etc... to do the commentary. For people too young to actually see the legendary players, listening to these guys relate road stories, tell you not just what shot to shoot but how to approach the game in general, is awesome.

gobrian77
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't have a "worst", but for best, I really enjoy when Steve Davis steps into the booth during the World Championships (usually in the earlier rounds, often on days when he has a match, and always when a contender is playing)- great, insightful comments and terrific wit.;)

Not sure if you get coverage of all the early rounds in the States.

crater59
10-17-2007, 08:31 PM
I know who the funniest commentator or at least the funniest one time commentary I ever heard was. On an Accu tape of a 1hole event, I think in Roanoke, match between Mike Segal and Johnny Ervolino, they bring Buddy Hall and Cornbread Red into the booth and man they just start ripping into Ervolino with their good ole boy humor and it is roll on the floor funny. Buddy starts laughing, maybe he had a few beers, and he can't stop, and Red plays into it and won't let up with the dry humor, mispronounces Ervolino's name a different way every time he says it, not only questions and criticizes Ervolinos shot selections but downright ridicules the man. I don't know what the deal was but by the end Ervolino was getting overwhelmed by Segal and he blews the match on a high risk shot and of course Buddy and Red crow on about how wrong he played the match and how he could have made out better had he been incorporating their strategies.

bud green
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I've posted about that match a couple times. It might be my favorite tape ever and I don't know anyone who has a good original or even copy of that match. It kills me that I can't just buy a nice copy of that match.

Certain matches from the early 90's or late 80's seemed to capture a mood and style about pool that nothing since then seems to capture. Only Efren at one pocket seems to be something that will really stand out years to come. Plenty of matches with great play, but not much that just grabs you with the cool style of pool.

Grady's one pocket events also had a ton of great commentators.

George Fels
10-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Cosell was way down there, but at least he had the excuse of not being expert at the game. The worst I ever heard, bar none, was Wanderone, who could barely get his jaws apart and had really incisive stuff like, "It's all over now," to say when he did. This was way back in the '70s, on CBS-TV, which had a 30-minute pool series on for a short time. GF

StormHotRod300
10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
mmmm I cant think of his name, but he did some commentary with Allen Hopkins back in the 90's and I swear he was just WRONG!!!!!! every foul he called was a Scratch lol. And his Billiards knowledge was just sad. Now the only bright spot was after a few episodes, he was "learning or understanding" what was going on.

I could tell this because the episodes were on ESPN classic and after watching about 5 shows that seemed to be for a tournament, he wasnt so bad.

As for Mitch , yea his voice is kinda annoying, and his constant or repetition of commentating gets dull. But, i cant say he is a bad commentator.

I personally think Allen hopkins, should be the only commentator, and then ESPN, should find someone in the WPBA who can back him up.

Scaramouche
10-18-2007, 04:37 AM
every foul he called was a Scratch lol. .

They just got to get the language right.

Scratch = Sewer

Rest = Bridge = Rake = Lady's Aid

Please add more entries so we here on AZ can offer a Commentators Handbook

Mike Templeton
10-18-2007, 05:38 AM
Worst - Sid Waddell, a British commentator who does commentary for darts, snooker, and sometimes pool. He sounds like Olive Oil on speed when he gets revved up, and is impossible to understand.
Best - Jay Helfert. Just flawless, impeccable commentary. ESPN should hire him.
Sid Waddell is the greatest if you are going for entertainment value. Especially of you are not in a sober state at the time you are watching him. He's gotta be geeked up on something.

For pool I like Jim Rempe (although I'm not a big fan of him as a player), Billy I, and David Maddox. They seem to be able to add a little more intellect and they seem to more quickly give possible different position patterns that are available on shots.

I love Buddy Hall, but he is my least favorite commentator. He's a player, not an analyst.

Mike

Mike Templeton
10-18-2007, 05:44 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9GoGAkkONPs

Just so you have the gold standard of commentary to use for comparison.:D
That's funny as hell.

philw
10-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Dang JohnnyT are we going back to the stone ages. Cosell? He died like a hundred years ago.

leaguedude
10-18-2007, 11:41 PM
A thread like this and no-one brought up Kim Davenport. He gets my vote.

Jimk
10-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Hold up boss, Jimmy Wetch ( the St. Paul strangler) is friggin cool

Wyche, "Efen Rayazz." Still i don't think he's that bad. He usually uses ly when it's called for. Perfectly, nicely etc. He says those instead of them. He hit them balls perfect. A lot of annoncers sound like third graders.

Scaramouche
10-19-2007, 03:22 PM
???? ? Mike Hallett vs Jim Wych
Frame 4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xs7sBdby3mU

hangemhigh
10-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Jeanie Zelysko on Fox Sports baseball pre-game