PDA

View Full Version : Best tip

crappoolguy
10-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Which of these tips is your favorite and why?

BVal
10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Sniper - most consistent tip that I have found. I have used them for a while now and know what I am capable of with them.

BVal

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I made a great layered tip from the hide of one of the neighbor's kittens that wandered into my yard the other day :D :D

brilliance
10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
I had Sniper but somehow I did not like its hit, its way soft. It holds chalk well.
Switched to Moori Med. it was very good for first month than it changed.

For some reason I still like LePro medium. Of course I have a plan to try all of them :)

ginsu
10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I made a great layered tip from the hide of one of the neighbor's kittens that wandered into my yard the other day :D :D

I have had a puss on the end of my shaft before - great action!

chilli66
10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
I haven't tried too many tips but so far I prefer Elkmasters. Preferably the "Milk Dud" style but I'm currently using a plain one. I really would like to try a Sniper, it sounds like the kind of tip I'd be happy with. I've heard some folks talk about problems installing them though, is there a special method for Snipers or will they go on like any tip? I'd like to know because I prefer to do my own tips but don't want to mess up an expensive one!

BlowFish
10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
All Japanese made tips play good. I perfer the original Moori Q.

Jude Rosenstock
10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
I wanted to make sure everyone knew a little about each tip so I created this guide based on my own experiences:

Moori
The Moori tip is something you simply cannot go wrong with. Its trimmed 9 layers of high quality pigskin are perfect for the casual and serious pool player. Traditional color gives it a perfect blended look with any cue finish and can withstand all competitive and casual environments.

Kamui
The Kumai (kah-moo-ee) tip is made of 10 layers of pigskin that is specially laminated to reduce delamination. Often viewed as a lush tip, there is little to no sugar actually present and would properly be catagorized as leafy with a rather complex texture.

Talisman
The Talisman Tip marinated in an ancient trade secret syrup, this tip has anti-mushrooming technology and is proven to NEVER LOSE ITS SHAPE. It's chalk rentention is far superior to all other tips and is proven not to miscue under normal playing conditions. Malolactic fermentation reduces its malic acid by turning it into lactic acid which everyone knows improves pocketing.

Everest
A very sophisticated tip and durable. Each layer is selected by hand and split carefully by skilled craftsmen to create ten perfectly even and unpenetrable layers of pigskin. This Peppery tip (also known as spicy) is often viewed as pungent in quality, being reminiscent of anise.

Sniper
The Sniper Tip is pickled up to one year and heat treated to give it an aromatic and blended look. Vacuum lamination and the secret "APP" (that's advanced Pressurized Process) makes this tip great for both 8-ball AND 9-ball. Also proven never to mushroom, this tip COMES WITH CHALK genetically infused in its fibers.

Tiger
Eleven Layers of pigskin, white color cow hide (very rare) and VACULAM make the Tiger tip the tip of Champions. Guaranteed to improve your game over night - this smart tip will read exactly how you want to hit the cueball and make minute adjustments at the moment of impact to assure a smooth and consistent result.

Hercules
This maderized tip is constructed of the highest quality pigskin and requires no maintenance whatsoever. Throw your tip tapper away! Proven to outlast all single layer tips, The Hercules meaty texture gives it a lot of body as though you can chew it.

LePro
This single layer tip is made of the finest Oak Leather available ANYWHERE and has a protective coating to preserve the leather until it's ready to play. This tip is often found to be very gamey with a particular burgundian style to it.

Triangle
These chromed tanned leather tips are also single piece but have a more rancio perception. It's tawny brown, wood-aged and heated leather can be viewed as blowsy with a detectable presence of oxidation.

Elkmaster
Made from "A Special Treated Leather", the Elkmaster is considered very oaky and carries a bare wiff of vanilla or toasty aroma only present if you bite into it.

tpdtom
10-17-2007, 05:04 PM
There's no accounting for taste. When you're talking Elkmasters and Le Pros, you're at the lowest price tips there are. The Filipinos took Elkmasters, the only tips they could afford in the Phils, and created an acceptable performing hard tip by soaking them in liquid until they became hard, milk or water! There's nothing wrong with them as they come, or Le Pros either for that matter, but modern layered tips will outperform them plus they're pretty much free from mushrooming. Talismans are pretty similar to Snipers, Stratos, Dynamites, and Mooris. I think any layered tip begins to hit as little flat after 100-200 hours of play. They don't need much maintainance though. If you want a hard tip, a Triangle or any Water Buffalo tip will perform well, but you'll miscue more unless you chalk a lot and maintain it.

In my humble opinion, if cost needs to be considered, any of the above mentioned layered tips except Moori, which is considerably more expensive, will perform well at a reasonable cost. The playing differences are very slight unless you get unlucky and get a bad one that has a chunk missing or one that delaminates. If you do, and it cost $5-$12 , just change it. If it cost $35 installed, as a Moori does at my home room, you expect a bit more, but I can't justify it. If I saw better performance I'd pay it, no problem, but I haven't. My Talisman tips have performed as well as the Mooris that I've had. I like Dynamites and Stratos' very much also...Tom

Jack Madden
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM

Well, I know we will be hiding "Rusty Baker" when you stop by the shop:D :D

bigskyjake
10-17-2007, 07:01 PM

I'd never hurt Rusty, he's a survivor man, he's been dinged up pretty bad but he keeps on truckin' so I respect him for that :D :D

Strokerz
10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I picked Kamui, The med soft hit very soft, lots of controll but has not mushroomed at all since I installed it. Very consistant hitting tip. My new favorite.

TX Poolnut
10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Tiger Everest tips are my choice.

StormHotRod300
10-17-2007, 07:13 PM
here's my 2cents on different tips.

Le-pro: Decent tip if your on a budget, or for a newbie just starting to play the game. Only problem is they are inconsistant.

Triangle : Same as le-pro's just a harder tip. Or a good secondary if you dont want a hard layer'd tip.

Triumph : About the same as le-pro's but more consistant.

Moori's : Good layer'd tip, just dont scuff up the tip after the initial shaping of the tip. Every one I've had, If you take a IT's George, scuffer to it, after playing with the tip, it just wont hold chalk. But they keep thier shape. Best thing, is to shape the tip, when brandnew, and then just tip pik it, about once a week. Even then, sometimes the tip seemed to glaze over very fast.

Sniper : BETTER than moori's and basically the same price. I never had a problem with this tip holding chalk. When I had this tip put on my cue, I shaped it, and then never touched it, except to tip pik it.

Tiger Soft : I'd say it's basically the same as the Sniper.

pooltableproCP
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I wanted to make sure everyone knew a little about each tip so I created this guide based on my own experiences:

Moori
The Moori tip is something you simply cannot go wrong with. Its trimmed 9 layers of high quality pigskin are perfect for the casual and serious pool player. Traditional color gives it a perfect blended look with any cue finish and can withstand all competitive and casual environments.

Kamui
The Kumai (kah-moo-ee) tip is made of 10 layers of pigskin that is specially laminated to reduce delamination. Often viewed as a lush tip, there is little to no sugar actually present and would properly be catagorized as leafy with a rather complex texture.

Talisman
The Talisman Tip marinated in an ancient trade secret syrup, this tip has anti-mushrooming technology and is proven to NEVER LOSE ITS SHAPE. It's chalk rentention is far superior to all other tips and is proven not to miscue under normal playing conditions. Malolactic fermentation reduces its malic acid by turning it into lactic acid which everyone knows improves pocketing.

Everest
A very sophisticated tip and durable. Each layer is selected by hand and split carefully by skilled craftsmen to create ten perfectly even and unpenetrable layers of pigskin. This Peppery tip (also known as spicy) is often viewed as pungent in quality, being reminiscent of anise.

Sniper
The Sniper Tip is pickled up to one year and heat treated to give it an aromatic and blended look. Vacuum lamination and the secret "APP" (that's advanced Pressurized Process) makes this tip great for both 8-ball AND 9-ball. Also proven never to mushroom, this tip COMES WITH CHALK genetically infused in its fibers.

Tiger
Eleven Layers of pigskin, white color cow hide (very rare) and VACULAM make the Tiger tip the tip of Champions. Guaranteed to improve your game over night - this smart tip will read exactly how you want to hit the cueball and make minute adjustments at the moment of impact to assure a smooth and consistent result.

Hercules
This maderized tip is constructed of the highest quality pigskin and requires no maintenance whatsoever. Throw your tip tapper away! Proven to outlast all single layer tips, The Hercules meaty texture gives it a lot of body as though you can chew it.

LePro
This single layer tip is made of the finest Oak Leather available ANYWHERE and has a protective coating to preserve the leather until it's ready to play. This tip is often found to be very gamey with a particular burgundian style to it.

Triangle
These chromed tanned leather tips are also single piece but have a more rancio perception. It's tawny brown, wood-aged and heated leather can be viewed as blowsy with a detectable presence of oxidation.

Elkmaster
Made from "A Special Treated Leather", the Elkmaster is considered very oaky and carries a bare wiff of vanilla or toasty aroma only present if you bite into it.
Only one question......which would go best with fish? Beef? I'll hang up and listen to your answer......

Cuedog
10-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Just a few corrections.

~ Never Pick a laminated tip. You will get away with it a lot of the time, but when you need it most, you will get a delamination. Not definite, but risky and happens often.

~ Sniper tips are very consistant. "Soft" is definitely not a word I would use to describe them. Medium to Medium-Hard is a more accurate description.

~ Sniper tips are not infused with chalk. The color comes from the processing of the leather.

~ Contrary to the belief of some, Feline skin is extremely inconsistant and tends to claw at the cue ball instead of gripping it. Tips made of this skin do tend to last past the usual lifespan expected of tips however. Approximately 9 times as long. ;)

Gene

manwon
10-18-2007, 12:59 AM

I use tips that I import from South Korea, they are different from any other tip I have tried. I use them on all my custom cues, and to my knowledge I am the only person in the USA who has these tips in any quanity. They are layered and medium hard, and they hold shape better than anything else I have seen. They grab the cue ball and they give a repeatable / consistant hit and many local players have have switched from other tips to these tips.

If anyone would like to try one, I will sell them for $5 each, to any AZ member. If anyone is interested send me a PM with your address, payment can be made through paypal at fullsplicebilliards2@comcast.net.

Have a good night

LoGiC
10-18-2007, 01:59 AM
My Favorite tip isn't on the list- Sumo- so I picked my next favorite, the Sniper. Both have been very consistent for me. They hit different from each other (A non-layered hard, vs a med layered tip) but they are the two most consistent hitting tips I've used. They have not changed from day 1 of them first landing on my cue.

Hail Mary Shot
10-18-2007, 03:11 AM
change my tip to Sniper some months ago. very nice !

bigskyjake
10-18-2007, 07:51 AM

So Jackie, would this be

MORRIS OR...... MOORI-S

catscradle
10-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I voted Moori based upon my limited exposure. However, sometimes I think it is really of very little importance, as long as you're using the same tip consistently.

Jude Rosenstock
10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Only one question......which would go best with fish? Beef? I'll hang up and listen to your answer......

You really have to consider Moori for fish and perhaps the Elkmaster with beef.

seymore15074
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Triangle tips are awesome. They hold their shape, they grip, they hold chalk, they last, they're cheap, and they hold up.

Name another tip that has ALL of that going for it... ;)

BVal
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Triangle tips are awesome. They hold their shape, they grip, they hold chalk, they last, they're cheap, and they hold up.

Name another tip that has ALL of that going for it... ;)
Sniper....

seymore15074
10-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Sniper....

You must have missed the cheap part. :D

BVal
10-18-2007, 10:29 AM
You must have missed the cheap part. :D
my bad.......:D

Catahula
10-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I am beta testing the new ?Hasidic Mohel? tip. It multi-layered and apparently is made with some secret skin. Seems to work pretty well but has a tendency to shrivel up when it is cold and seems to want to bulge whenever women are present. Still working on curing its tendency to shoot prematurely.
I hear they will be predominately available on the East Coast but you have to have a Rabbi install it.:D

HollyWood
10-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Who needs to look at www.kamuibrand.com and watch movie clips use your printer copy the pictures go to pool hall and try one and all. who has ever gone through this for a tip. Proporsity should be a key word for you guys to remember. mark

CrownCityCorey
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM

I have used: Sniper, Everest, Tiger (Soft, Med & Hard), Tiger Jump Break, LePro, Triangle, Elk Master, Moori (Med), Talisman (Med), Champion, Tad (two layer) and a whole slew of experiemental stuff ( ;) ) here at Tiger.

My personal top ones are:

1st - Tad (2 layer)

2nd & 3rd - Sniper & Everest are neck & neck (very different tips).

4th - Moori (1st edition). The 2nd & 3rd editions are hardly worth mentioning.

The Tad (2 layer) is the best feeling tip ever for me; however they's last no more that two weeks before they got too damn hard and I had to put on a new one. Once I got in the tip manufaturing biz, I came to understand that the Tad tip was cowhide and it's nature was to firm up as it did and gloss over theyby no longer holding chalk. Lots of fiddling.

For over all needs: Holding shape, performance and longevity, the Sniper beats them all.

Sure I am biased on this, but who cares.

JimS
10-18-2007, 01:03 PM
I use Morri's because I don't have much experience and Morri's had the reputation. I've used Talisman Hard and X Hard and like them just fine. I'm wanting to try Sniper. Mullers catalog shows the hardness measurements and I like that. I was surprised to see the Morri Quicks were as hard as almost any listed. I like'm hard.

Danktrees
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
no one mentioned molavias?

catscradle
10-19-2007, 06:03 AM
no one mentioned molavias?

Probably because they're so damn expensive and hard to find. I suspect most people, like me, assume they are not significantly better than Mooris so it is worth the search.

Vinnie
10-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Ok, I know that this poll is over but I feel I must share my experience.

I went to a Morri MED on my OB-1 a while ago and was very satisfied. However, now that it has been about two months, I noticed that the tip is actually starting to mushroom slightly. Also, It seems that I have to take fine sandpaper to it regularly to "open" the tip back up to taking chalk well.
In my opinion, the Talisman PRO MED tip that came with my OB-1 is the best yet. It rarely needed shaping and never mushroomed. The feel was just as good or better than the Morri I have on there now. It also lasted me more than a year. Please do not confuse the Talisman Pro with the Talisman WB (green).

Vinnie

NYC cue dude
10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
As far as hit, I prefer a soft tip, and loved the moori soft.... Until after only a very short time, started to mushroom. After constant trimming and maintenance, I gave up. I since switched too moori mediums, and have been really happy with them. I find that after the first mushrooming and trimming, they hold both the shape and chalk really well. I play 7 or 8 hours everyday, and go through tips every 6 months.

I will also add, I just purchased the ob-1 shaft last week, and HATED the hit. The tip, IMHO, was the worst garbadge I'd ever seen. I was so hard it wouldn't hold chalk, AT ALL. I even showed it to some other players, and they all agreed. I just changed it to a moori medium today, and it plays like a completely different shaft. I even reshowed it to some of the players, and after hitting some balls, agreed again.

Rg