PDA

View Full Version : Louis Ulrich to place

iba7467
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM
With 128 players left in the field, does anyone want to give me a line on Louis Ulrich to place.

Over/Under
or
Odds for # or above

steveharn
10-18-2007, 07:43 AM
I would like to know more about Louis. Haven't seen him play but he must be the real deal. Do you know any history on him? Where he's from, etc.
Thanks

Danny Kuykendal
10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Louie used to play in my place in Orange, CA (Danny K's). He lived in the inland empire or some place near by. He was a top player in the area but no major threat to beat any pros.

That has changed. Last time I saw him in Reno he had just whupped Gabe Owen and another top player, playing almost perfectly both times. I think he's really coming into his own now, having come in (second?) in a major tourney in the south.

Danny

iba7467
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
I think he's really coming into his own now, having come in (second?) in a major tourney in the south.

Danny

The tournament you must be referring to is the Turning Stone Classic in New York, his only big tourney money position. He has been winning a few local southern events, but I wouldn't have picked him to beat any champions and now 2 already.

He's definitely the Cinderella story of the Open and I hope to see him do well. I like it enough to place a sweat bet with some kind of odds.

sunnyday
10-18-2007, 09:10 AM
I would like to know more about Louis. Haven't seen him play but he must be the real deal. Do you know any history on him? Where he's from, etc.
Thanks

If I have it my way, you and eveyone who's interested will hear the whole story on Louis very soon, I promise.

CrownCityCorey
10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Louie used to play in my place in Orange, CA (Danny K's). He lived in the inland empire or some place near by. He was a top player in the area but no major threat to beat any pros.

Danny

That was about 10 years ago, the info is a little dated. Louis used to play on the Camel Pro Tour. He is a well seasoned money player and just recently made the commitment to play full time.

LILJOHN30
10-18-2007, 09:33 AM
That is right louis played on the camel pro tour.That is where I got the scoop on him for my friend who used to hang with him and also played on the camel tour.I'll just call him faruke/firman,louis saw him in atlanta and did a double take and called his name out.I have played with louie and he is the real deal and hope he does real good at the open,

G-UP
10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Louis is an exceptional player. He is always at ease at the table. To watch him play, you wouldn't know that he is in a major tournament nor playing for a major amount of money.
He is currently the House Pro for The Pool Room (in Duluth GA). Which s great sense he lives here in Duluth. Louis had moved back to CA for a short while a few months ago and then came back to GA. His wife Connie is a good player also. But, his sister-inlaw is better (Alice Rim). She plays in the women's pro circuit. Louis is as nice as he is good at pool. Very down to earth and a great shooter. A threat to any one he plays.

Heyalex40
10-18-2007, 11:49 AM
That was about 10 years ago, the info is a little dated. Louis used to play on the Camel Pro Tour. He is a well seasoned money player and just recently made the commitment to play full time.

To echo what Corey said, Louis is a 15 year "overnight success story". Take a look what he says in his own words.

Louis....I am 33 now and have been playing pool since the age of 13. I used to compete a lot either going to tournaments or matching up. From the age of about 16 to 24 I pretty much made my living off of pool. My tournament play throughout that time was about average since I was more concerned with matching up than winning the tournament. I quit competitive play until the IPT showed and by then my game had gone totally down hill.

In December of last year I decided to work seriously on my game. I attribute the recent jump in my game to two things. For one, I work very hard on the practice table. I identify my problem shots and shoot them over and over until I get them right. For example, today I shot one shot until I made it 100 times. That may be overkill, but I'm kind of a fanatic with stuff like that.

Secondly, I play in as many tournaments as I can. Being forced to come with your best game at a moments notice is hard to do unless you are used to it. Getting comfortable with tournament play has been a big obstacle for me to overcome.

iba7467
10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Would anyone like to be Ulrich makes the top 50?

Odds for top 32?

Odds for top 16?

hilla_hilla
10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Louis is a phenomenal player. I don't gamble, but I think this tournament he's going to finish in at least the top 3 although I think it would be awesome if he won the whole thing! Connie his wife is one of the sweetest people that I know and a damn good pool player to:) .

Don't under estimate Louis. He is definently a force to be reckon with!

grandpapkusky
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks

I don't know much about him, but he reminds me of how Steve Moore came out of nowhere and all of a sudden was a big player on the pool scene. Seems like they both just snuck up into the elite.

Blackjack
10-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Would anyone like to be Ulrich makes the top 50?

Odds for top 32?

Odds for top 16?

I think you should be worrying about Louis Ulrich winning the whole sha-bang. As others have already stated, he is the REAL deal. Those "local southern events" have had world class fields - I played Louis in the second round of the tournament he won in Savannah about a month ago - it was pleasure to be able to play a top notch world class player - great guy - and he shot lights out all the way.

He went on to win that tournament undefeated - also in that event were Bill Ussery, Mike Davis, Mike Gulyassy, Ron Park, Rafael Martinez, Stevie Moore, Neil Fujiwara, Dave Grossman, Tommy Kennedy - nobody there played better than Louie Ulrich.

The next week he went to a tournament in South Carolina and won that too against pretty much the same strength field. Add that to his performance at Turning Stone, and I believe Louis Ulrich (aka Mr. Rim) is a major threat to win anything he enters.

TheHole
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I think Louis is gonna win THE HOLE THANG!!!!

He did win @ The Hole Thang's monthly $1000 added tournament, beating out players like Scotty Townsend, Doug Young, Cliff Joyner, Larry Nevel, Paul Turner, etc....

And he is a totally nice guy, exactly what pools needs!!

Good Luck Louis

Zirroe
10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
he has to get by Ernesto first,
but Ive only run into Louie once and he was playing Morro at hard times they were gambling at one pocket sets of race to 3 louie won 3 of the 4 sets, I'm just biased because I'm friends with Oscar and Ernesto, but Im sure Louie will make top 16

CHRIM
10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Well the game is about to begin with 2 friends playing each other. Ernesto and Louis have known each other for some time. Both are great players and great people too. I'm a little biased since Louis is my husband and all :rolleyes: but I have the utmost respect for Ernesto's game as well. Good luck gentlemen!

sunnyday
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Well the game is about to begin with 2 friends playing each other. Ernesto and Louis have known each other for some time. Both are great players and great people too. I'm a little biased since Louis is my husband and all :rolleyes: but I have the utmost respect for Ernesto's game as well. Good luck gentlemen!

Too bad Louis and Ernesto's match is not on live... as it was originally scheduled for. I guess Josh has to call us play by play:D
Go Louis

S.

CrownCityCorey
10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Forget Louis or his brother Josh, I'd be worried if I drew a Mrs. Ulrich in a tournament :D .

Blackjack
10-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Forget Louis or his brother Josh, I'd be worried if I drew a Mrs. Ulrich in a tournament :D .

Which one? lol

iba7467
10-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Ulrich wins 11-0, that's sick.

Did he play that good, good rolls, poor play by ED, or what?

cuechick
10-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Louie is also an excellent coach, I worked with him a bit and he is now offering lessons out of the The Pool Room in Duluth. I highly recommend him.
I really don't think anyone should be surprised by his success.
He told me he got a lot of his early seasoning from a certain Philippino player, also in this event, you may have heard of him, a Mr. Reyes....;)

uwate
10-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Honestly I think its more like what odds would YOU give up that he makes the top 16/ top 8/ top 4. The line that Louis finishes in the top 50 would have to be something on the order of 20 to 1 in your favor.

You will have to be talking about Louis winning the Open to get any kind of odds. top 4 might be even money bet, i dunno. I dont think too many of the people who have been watching the results lately will be giving up any odds. Maybe getting odds now....

iba7467
10-19-2007, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=uwate]Honestly I think its more like what odds would YOU give up that he makes the top 16/ top 8/ top 4. QUOTE]

Top 16 - 1.5:1
Top 10 - 1:1.5
Top 6 - 1:3

I'll see what evolves. PM, if we agree we'll post on the thread.

uwate
10-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I just saw that Louis is in the final 16 winners side. Doesnt that make it impossible for him to finish with at least at 17-24th place finish?

At this point, I would only be interested in gambling if you wanted to do something with Louis winning the tourny.

iba7467
10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
What line is available for win/2nd?

uwate
10-19-2007, 08:22 AM
If your thinking 3 to 1 for top 6 finish is fair...I dont think we are getting down.

I would only be interested in doing something if you want to take him to win outright.

iba7467
10-19-2007, 08:44 AM
If your thinking 3 to 1 for top 6 finish is fair

Ulrich plays Robles next, if he loses (if I read the brackets correctly) he will have to play the winner of Rodney Morris vs either Niels Fiejen or Shannon Daulton. These match-ups are pretty sporty. This would put him out 17-24. If he does win, he would then have to beat the loser of the (if I read brackets correctly) Orcullo, Walden, Souqet, Archer bracket final. This only puts him 7-10. He then has to win again to get 5-6.

How is 3 to 1 that unfair?

If you think 3:1 is fair for him to win the tournament, you can bet with both hands. That's rediculous. Regardless of his seeding now, there are 7 champions waiting to knock off Ulrich, the majority of which should be a favorite over him.

sunnyday
10-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Ulrich wins 11-0, that's sick.

Did he play that good, good rolls, poor play by ED, or what?

There is a thread on Louis Vs. Ernesto. None biased, but Louis almost played a perfect match. He may have missed maybe 3 or 4 shots in the whole set. Ernesto, I assumed played a little nervous. He missed an open 2 ball in rack 2 and didn't get to see a full ball until rack 6? down 6-0. It was pretty lop sided match, because Louis had the total control and didn't ease up.

uwate
10-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Ulrich plays Robles next, if he loses (if I read the brackets correctly) he will have to play the winner of Rodney Morris vs either Niels Fiejen or Shannon Daulton. These match-ups are pretty sporty. This would put him out 17-24. If he does win, he would then have to beat the loser of the (if I read brackets correctly) Orcullo, Walden, Souqet, Archer bracket final. This only puts him 7-10. He then has to win again to get 5-6.

How is 3 to 1 that unfair?

If you think 3:1 is fair for him to win the tournament, you can bet with both hands. That's rediculous. Regardless of his seeding now, there are 7 champions waiting to knock off Ulrich, the majority of which should be a favorite over him.

If your thinking 3-1 on a top 6 finish is so great...Ill take half odds you want... -150 and I will take Louis and bet that Louis finishes top 6. Your 3-1 line is way out of line. I think Louis is the favorite against Robles honestly. If he wins he has to play the winner of Allen Hopkins/
Tomoki Mikari. He wins that, he is final four winners side and guaranteed 5/6th. Thats why I think 3-1 is out of line. I never said 3-1 to win outright, I just dont see the logic in giving you 3-1 on two matches where I think Louis is favored.

You know...Im wasting my time here..because I would LOVE to see Louis snap it off. He is a poster here, seems like a humble regular guy and if he wins its the Cinderella pool story of 2007. I dont want to be betting against him whatever the line you set. Im out of this.

railfirst
10-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I saw him play at turning stone and he just as cool as the other side of the pillow. Even when it looked like Corteza was going to run away with the final ulrich got up and ran i believe something like 5 racks to make it a match again. The thing about it was that no one there had really heard of him and here he is running through a field full of champions undefeated. Great player with great poise.

Ben

iba7467
10-19-2007, 09:09 AM
After your evaluation, I find we are both along the same lines. I expect the winner of Robles/Ulrich to have it easily with Hopkins/Mikari. I think Ulrich is the favorite over Robles +115 with at least +170 in the next match, but a loss to Robles puts the risk of out before 6th too high for me to take the wager. I also think his odds to win are too high to bet against at all.

Your outlook is spot on, just trying to hedge my bet in case of loss to Robles.

What would you give/take for Ulrich to win outright?

uwate
10-19-2007, 09:16 AM
No bet! I want to root for Cinderella (sorry Louis, i know your the MAN!).