PDA

View Full Version : Lesson with Scott Lee

frankncali
10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I had a lesson with Scott and I thought it went well. He knows what he is doing and can convey what he is thinking.

I had a few things to work on and have been trying to do so. For me my biggest issue has been that I dont fall into a normal or routine bridge length. We came up with what we thought it was but in my average play I have noticed it changing by as much as 4 inches.
Also I had no preshot routine at all.

The drills work well and I like that they are not long drawn out drills.

I think lessons with Scott is well worth it and will help anyone. It can't hurt to see yourself and what you are doing. He is there to point out a few things.

I believe that the weakest part of my game is my mental game. Not shooting the wrong shots but rather the inner self type mental game. I can get easily distracted and can never clear my head. Often I am thinking about 50 things during a match.

While I dont mind league play I think it should be mixed with regular pool and playing. I havent been doing that lately. Also from league play I have started playing too quickly. I play better if I play slower. A combo of the bar table and time pressures force my speed now.

Hopefully down the road I can work with Scott again on some other things and tweak what he has already shown me.

I also would recommend saving up and getting a longer lesson or two lessons very close together. Time is needed to work on some things.

frankncali >>>>>> still trying not to drop my elbow on some shots

Deadon
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Frank;

Just a suggestion.

Lay off the playing for awhile, at least while you retraining yourself. Its self defeative. Work on drills and practice until your new style is integrated and your no longer reinforcing your previous bad habits.

3kushn
10-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Frank;

Just a suggestion.

Lay off the playing for awhile, at least while you retraining yourself. Its self defeative. Work on drills and practice until your new style is integrated and your no longer reinforcing your previous bad habits.
Great idea but be sure it's serious practice. When I had my Scott Lee lesson he hammered me a few times on pre shot routine after having a couple of fun 3C games. I know now it was a trap and I got caught.

Seriously my issue and it's still an issue is when just banging the balls around for fun pre shot goes out the window. I gotta be more serious even when just having some fun or the bad stuff will become more engrained. You must have fun but be careful.

I have a philosophy that it's easier to pick up bad habits than good ones. The difference between a Natural and the rest of us.

Rickw
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Frank;

Just a suggestion.

I totally agree!!!

When you play tournaments or any competitive game, you're going to shoot the way it feels most comfortable for you, and that will be counter to what you learned!

Scott Lee
10-18-2007, 08:28 PM
I absolutely agree with both Deadon (Mike) and 3kushn (Tom)!

Frank...I know you love to play and compete, but you've only had two weeks to practice your new routine. Keep at it, but remember, the first two weeks should be 80% practice/20% play. Then switch it around and make it 80% play/20% practice. You may need another week or so of just practice. You want to make sure you give your brain a good chance to ingrain the concepts...so you have the best chance of creating a new habit, not just something that happens when you really concentrate on it. Good luck!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com