PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to get back instroke??

seanjonsean
10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
my job has me travelling alot and sometimes i go days without practice,,last night was league night and i didnt play but i did shoot with my friends and i stunk, i had easy shots , simple table length stop shots and a few cut shots all of this on a bar table ,mostly i think my fundametal mechanix are off and i was wondering how do i get back in the game?

bigskyjake
10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I read the title of this thread thinking that someone had stolen your cue case :D :D

seanjonsean
10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
lol no case missing just stroke

Ky Boy
10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
lol no case missing just stroke

check pm's...might help!!

Gerry
10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
IMO theres 2 reasons to be out of stroke. 1. fundamentals problem, or 2.lack of confidence/lack of play<<<can go hand in hand

to fix #1 I shoot cross corner straight ins til I start to get an idea of what is out of sorts.

to fix #2 I shoot ONLY easy shots til I start flowing and "get the oil in the back arm" so to speak...

Gerry

Neil
10-18-2007, 03:58 PM

seanjonsean
10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
im an hour into practice and im shooting easy shots and then tough shots "thanxz gerry"and i think i kno what i did wrong last night for one i didnt lean over far down enough and 2 i just took the shots without practice stroke , so far im getting back in shape and my back is hurting a bit so i kno im doing somethin right...

ShootingArts
10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
my job has me travelling alot and sometimes i go days without practice,,last night was league night and i didnt play but i did shoot with my friends and i stunk, i had easy shots , simple table length stop shots and a few cut shots all of this on a bar table ,mostly i think my fundametal mechanix are off and i was wondering how do i get back in the game?

Are you driving or flying? If you are driving then toting your stick with you and staying in stroke is far better than trying to get back in stroke. Even flying I think I would pick up a dirt cheap stick, slick up the shaft, and throw it in baggage. It is a lot easier to spend five to fifteen minutes practicing your stroke each night than to try to get back into stroke after losing your stroke.

Dry firing a gun can be more effective in some areas than live fire for improving your game. I am finding that practicing my stroke and follow through "dry firing" with the pool stick has similar benefits.

Hu

seanjonsean
10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
i do have a cheap cue but im in a ranch in the middle of nowhere wich is somewer and we do have a pool table but its inbad shape and its smaller than a bar box but next week im driving to colorado ,ill soon satrt a new thread bout that

ShootingArts
10-18-2007, 08:19 PM
i do have a cheap cue but im in a ranch in the middle of nowhere wich is somewer and we do have a pool table but its inbad shape and its smaller than a bar box but next week im driving to colorado ,ill soon satrt a new thread bout that

Any pool table is better than none but I was talking about just grabbing a corner of a desk or table and stroking down an edge when on the road.

I'm not sure if your drive takes you through Raton New Mexico but if it does look up the old icehouse steakhouse. Super steaks when I passed through there a few years ago. A lot of nice country to drive through and hopefully some opportunities to play pool, maybe with some AZ'ers.

Hu

cyrex
10-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Keep with the solo practicing. Matching up with someone will just get you to try and 'force' your stroke to come back. Agree with the other poster about keeping your practice sessions simple and easy. Straight shot drills, control drills, that kinda stuff. Nothing fancy, just work on keeping loose and getting your confidence back. Also, if you're not near a table, I'd recommend watching pool videos of players you want to emulate. Your subconscious is a very powerful tool when it comes to learning. Or re-learning. Above all, have fun.

asn130
10-19-2007, 01:16 AM
not that i have a great stroke or anything, but i find my best stroke when i'm not thinking about my stroke. (and no, i'm not trying to be a smartass :) )

Dead Money
10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
whats the best way to get back instroke??

I'd say play a bit to get loose and find someone to play and then BET IT UP! If they are a fish even better;)

kildegirl
10-19-2007, 12:56 PM
My job has me travelling a lot, and sometimes I go days without practice. Last night was league night and I did not play well.
I had easy shots , simple table length stop shots and a few cut shots all of this on a bar table .Mostly i think my fundamental mechanics are off and I was wondering, How do i get back in the game? Without an aiming system you will never
get very far at all. Also, get off the bar tables. That is not pool.

kildegirl
10-19-2007, 01:00 PM
IMO theres 2 reasons to be out of stroke. 1. fundamentals problem, or 2.lack of confidence/lack of play<<<can go hand in hand

to fix #1 I shoot cross corner straight ins til I start to get an idea of what is out of sorts.

to fix #2 I shoot ONLY easy shots til I start flowing and "get the oil in the back arm" so to speak...

Gerry
USE AN AIMING SYSTEM

BVal
10-19-2007, 01:02 PM
USE AN AIMING SYSTEM
so which aiming system do you sell?

BVal

kildegirl
10-19-2007, 01:03 PM
The biggest impediment to being in stroke lies between your ears. It's a matter of thinking right.

Shooting with friends in a friendly game tends to get one out of stroke. Add to it the probable desire to look good to them, and you add in a little anxiety.

Before you play, get your head into why you are there, and what you want to accomplish. It will go a long way. GET AN
AIMING SYSTEM

ShootingArts
10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
GET AN
AIMING SYSTEM

Hal,

I'm taking the original poster at his word, he is out of stroke. Meaning no disrespect, no aiming system is worth a tinker's dam without a stroke to hit where you aim. I shoot right handed and when a muscle goes into spasm on the right side of my back none of the knowledge I have does me a bit of good when I don't have the mechanics to apply my knowledge. Likewise when someone's stroke is poor due to a lack of practice advanced knowledge is worth little without the fundamentals to be able to apply that knowledge.

Hu

kildegirl
10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
im an hour into practice and im shooting easy shots and then tough shots "thanxz gerry"and i think i kno what i did wrong last night for one i didnt lean over far down enough and 2 i just took the shots without practice stroke , so far im getting back in shape and my back is hurting a bit so i kno im doing somethin right... and your aiming method?
hal houle
484 623 4144

olauzon
10-19-2007, 03:18 PM
another lost case? what the.....

Neil
10-19-2007, 03:25 PM

seanjonsean
10-19-2007, 04:22 PM
kgirl i dont have an aiming system what i do for knowing wer to hit and what to hit and wat happnes after hit is play caromball or billiards an hour of that and ull be alot better than any aiming system , well at least for me lol and dont forget straight pool and other games . i do better on big tables than bb ,now that i went to my fundamentals my stroke is coming back...

seanjonsean
10-20-2007, 03:41 PM
ok last night i played till bout 10 pm and i quit cuz my feet wer killing me and ther hurting today as well, but im feeling a lot better and evrything seems to be back to normal, i wonder if ill ever get to a point that i can take off for a week and wont suffer? thanxz for ure advice guys and gals