PDA

View Full Version : IVOR-X Ferrules

Southpaw
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Has anyone tried the Ivor-X ferrules? I am changing ferrules and may try these b/c they are supposed to hit like ivory and not get chalk stained. I am more concerned with the hit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Southpaw

Salamander
10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
I could not stand them. It could be that they were initially improperly installed, but when the tips came off, along with them parts of the ferrule broke off. In addition, the ferrule surface, for whatever reason was not "smooth"...almost glass like, that tended to "stick" in your hand.

Again, this might have had to do with the "installation". Some swear by them, but on the other hand I've heard of quite a few cuemakers that will not use them (I don't know their reasons).

Regards,

Doug

Thecoats
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Has anyone tried the Ivor-X ferrules? I am changing ferrules and may try these b/c they are supposed to hit like ivory and not get chalk stained. I am more concerned with the hit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Southpaw

I purchased a Ariel Carmeli cue that had Ivor-X ferrules and I was not really crazy about the hit, I had another Carmeli cue with Ivory and I loved the hit of that cue. I think if you want the hit of Ivory use Ivory. I like the LBM and Titan ferrule material and I have success with both of these not getting too dirty with chalk dust. I think if you keep the ferrule polished with cue wax regardless of the material chalk dust should not be a problem.

-don

Southpaw
10-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks. I know that my tenons are threaded and these ferrules are also. Just wondering about the hit. I have only used fiber ferrules in the past.

Southpaw

Cuedog
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Be sure that the information you eventually accept is comparing apples to apples. The hit won't be drastically different simply by going from fibre ferrules to Ivor-X ferrules.

Gene

Purdman
10-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I have used the 3/4 inch and the 1 inch and like them both. I have plenty of Ivory ferrules also. I purchased 10 of them from Chris Hightower a few years ago. It is like anything else. Installation is important.
Purdman :cool:

Southpaw
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Well I gave the Ivor-X ferrules a chance and I have to say that I am impressed with them. I also made a change to a Sniper tip (because of AZers popular votes) and am very impressed with it also. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Southpaw