PDA

View Full Version : Dan Louie

Deadon
10-18-2007, 06:44 PM
For those that don't know.. Barry just announced that Dan Louie passed out during his match and was rushed into emergency surgery. I've known Dan since the 70s and he is a great person and player. We all hope and pray he will be well.

Thecoats
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Prayers from Kansas City, God Bless Dan for a speedy recovery.

-don

jnav447
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
For those that don't know.. Barry just announced that Dan Louie passed out during his match and was rushed into emergency surgery. I've known Dan since the 70s and he is a great person and player. We all hope and pray he will be well.
Second your remarks. Fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Ktown D
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
I heard they feared it was a stroke. I will say a prayer for him and I hope all goes well for him.

sjm
10-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Dan is a quality guy and a credit to our sport. Hope he's OK.

Fatboy
10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
i heard about it earilyer today and thought it was the heat or something, but after what Barry said-that his family was in route, i dont hnow what to think, i hope its nothing, i have met him a few times he is a great man, player.

1pRoscoe
10-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Wow... I hope he gets well soon and whatever it may be was minor - I played with him just a few weeks ago and he looked to be in great health, but illness can be very tricky...

LAMas
10-18-2007, 07:07 PM
My prayers go out to him and his family - God speed.

Ummagumma
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
A couple of people called me late afternoon with the news. This was shocking to hear. I certainly hope he is alright. I consider him a good friend. I offer up a prayer to the gods and hope all turns out well.

cincyman
10-18-2007, 08:55 PM
hope he is fine prayers for him

Blackjack
10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Any updates?
My prayers are with Dan and his family.

Ummagumma
10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
He passed out at the table for a minute. When he came to, he was able to coherently answer all questions posed to him. That's all I've heard so far.

bigskyjake
10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
That's horrible man, I saw Dan at the Spokane open not too long ago and he seemed like he was in good health at the time

I don't normally pray or anything like that but I'll definately send one up for Dan tonight

sharandrew
10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
I hope he is ok. He is a great guy the best.... It is a shock right now to hear this.........

I am from the northwest where he has played I used to watch him and learn to play by watching him.... a real champion..... a real champion...good luck Danny...

Andrew

cueball1950
10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Although i don't know him personally mine and my family prayers go out to him and his family.....:( :( :( :( .......................mike

Ron Cook
10-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Dan is a Champion amoung Champions. What a guy and gentleman. All of us who know you Dan are praying for your full recovery. There is very little to say for you have walked the walk & talked the talk. We appreciate you as a real human being, gentleman, and player and pray that you will be reunited with your friends and family quickly.

Thanks again Dan for being such a great Champion amoung those who have had the honor to watch and play you!

wastateqman
10-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Danny is a great person, and asset for our sport. Let alone a world champion on top of that. I've received some info on what was going on with Dan, but do to privacy for him & his family I'll hold off on saying anything. I'm glad Jeff was with him on this trip to the Open. Some of Danny's family members have left the Seattle area to be with him on the East Coast. For all of us that know Danny and for those that don't he's a warrior day in and day out. Dan is very positive and may indeed take some time to relax & heal up but he won't ever be complaining. That's just Danny. Our prayers go out to him from the NW. Jeff we'll keep you in our thoughts, and prayers as well to get home safe. Good luck and safe playing to All of the players at the Open.

hemicudas
10-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Dan Louie is the nicest champion pool player I have ever known. All my prayers and best wishes.

gulfportdoc
10-19-2007, 06:32 AM
I suspect from the information reported in the BD article reprinted on AZ that it could be kidney stones, appendix, or some other abdominal ailment. Hopefully there will be an announcement soon about his recovery. Dan Louie has been one of our sport's treasures for many years.

Doc

Ltldebbie
10-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Prayers are always welcome. (whether frequent or not) I will keep you (Dan) in my constant prayers. Does anyone know if it is the same obstacle that he has been living with for years? Is he still on the east coast? Does anyone know which hospital. He is very humble, but has always been kind. I'm sure he would appreciate a note and prayers. Thaks for the info.
A Great Player and Gentleman. A true Champion.
A Speedy Recovery. May the Angels be at your side.
Little Debbie

UWPoolGod1
10-19-2007, 08:20 AM
This is sad news, I hope all goes well. I was looking forward to him possibly defending his WesternBCA 8ball crown from last spring in next weeks 9ball regional. He is a fantastic player and a class act. All the best.

Melissa Herndon
10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Very best wishes to Dan and his family. I've known Dan only as a pool acquaintance over the years....running into him at tournaments and such....but I know his reputation as a wonderful player and person....and from what I have seen, the reputation is well deserved. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

Melissa

Celtic
10-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Dan is a super nice guy. Prayers are with him.

Jack Madden
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
This is sad news, I hope all goes well. I was looking forward to him possibly defending his WesternBCA 8ball crown from last spring in next weeks 9ball regional. He is a fantastic player and a class act. All the best.

Todd
Yes he is. I am hoping it is just kidney stones or such - very painful but recover isn't long (once the little buggers leave).

uwate
10-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Wishing Dan and his family positive thoughts and a speedy recovery. Please update us if anyone knows how he is doing. Dan is a great guy, he was very generous in his time for the AZB room at the 2007 DCC. This really sucks that he is ill like this.

cigardave
10-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Just got off the phone with Jeff and I don't have much to report beyond that already posted above except to say that Danny did have surgery and the immediate situation has been addressed... he is still in the ICU... his wife and brother flew out there and are now with him... and they will be talking to his doctors shortly in person to learn more details about his condition and what caused it. That's about it... except that Jeff did share a little with me about what the doctors found during the surgery but with him not being family, he really didn't learn much... and it sounded very preliminary... so I'd rather not make that public. I'm sure that you all understand. Jeff changed his return flight plans from this morning until Monday morning... so I may learn more about Danny's condition in a day or two. I'll post what I can when I get the info.

cd

Gerry
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Danny D just said online that He was out of surgery and they fixed him up, and he is going to ICU. It sounded very positive

Gerry

Russ Chewning
10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Here's hoping Dan makes a full recovery. He's the only pro my wife has met, and he was super nice to us both. We never did get the chance to go to his restaraunt when we were in WA state..

Russ

SloRoller
10-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I played Dan (and Jeff J) several times in the early 90's.
Dan is a great player and the nicest person.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

SR

TWOFORPOOL
10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Dan is the nicest guy I have every met in the pool world. He is also very tuff. I pray that he will be all right.

Mr. J
10-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Hello to all,

Danny is doing much better and has been moved to a regular hospital room. He is up and around and under his own power now. No more hookup to his body at this time. He is eating regular food and gaining strength by the moment. He says that he will be 100% in the future...

Perhaps he will return to Washington State soon???

Nice to see him out of ICU and he says thank you to all of you for all your prayers and thoughts and concerns for him..

Jeff Jimenez

jay helfert
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Hello to all,

Danny is doing much better and has been moved to a regular hospital room. He is up and around and under his own power now. No more hookup to his body at this time. He is eating regular food and gaining strength by the moment. He says that he will be 100% in the future...

Perhaps he will return to Washington State soon???

Nice to see him out of ICU and he says thank you to all of you for all your prayers and thoughts and concerns for him..

Jeff Jimenez

Thanks Jeff for keeping us posted on Dan's progress. Please tell him how highly regarded he is.

TWOFORPOOL
10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm happy to hear that Dan is doing better. I hope he will have a full recovery so he can come back and beat on us some more! Tell Dan I will try and find some Kleen Stroke for him (he will laugh when you tell him this). Thanks for the update Jeff.

Sincerely,

Bob Olson
TWOFORPOOL

Handsumm
10-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanx Jeff for the update, as I had heard almost nothing. Tell Dan that we were all pulling for him and hope to see him soon and well.

Micah

Fatboy
10-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I wish Dan the best and pray that he will recover 100%, I only spoke to him once but, I do know alot about him and he is a great man. We are all pulling for him. Later on I will post a funny story about him after he is up and around, I may have posted it along time ago-I cant remember. Now isnt the time to post it but when he is up and good again I will post it and it will bring a smile to his face and ours for sure.

I hope his family is doing good too, its difficult for them too and my prayers are with them as well.

Fatboy.

nfty9er
10-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jeff for keeping us posted on Dan's progress. Please tell him how highly regarded he is.
Did you ever update us on Chuck from Hardtimes? I may have missed it but it seems to have taken a back burner. It is probably time for another one anyway. Thanks in advance.

8ballEinstein
10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Did you ever update us on Chuck from Hardtimes? I may have missed it but it seems to have taken a back burner. It is probably time for another one anyway. Thanks in advance.

nfty9er, we're also going to need an update on Charlie O'Brien.

nfty9er
10-24-2007, 04:29 PM
nfty9er, we're also going to need an update on Charlie O'Brien.

He is doing better than expected and is going home tomorrow the last I heard. He will continue rehab from home with the help of his family who will trade off each day to work with him and take care of his needs. He will do outpatient rehab. The last prognosis was possibly a full recovery of his paralysis in a year. Sure hope so. I am going to see him in a few minutes to make sure all is still o.k. since a few days ago.

Mr. J
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hello to all again...

I just talked with Dan and he says that he is scheduled to be discharged from the hospital today or tomorrow. He also said that he is scheduled to fly home to Seattle on Tuesday next week....Doctors do not want him to fly too soon. They want him to regain more strength for the long flight home...

This is the latest and of course things may change....

Thanks for all your prayers, thoughts and concerns too...Dan

Jeff Jimenez

jay helfert
10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Danny called me last night but I was playing in a poker tournament and couldn't talk. He told me he was getting out today. I told him I loved him and had to play the next hand. Finished eighth for $500.

Fragged
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
He is doing better than expected and is going home tomorrow the last I heard. He will continue rehab from home with the help of his family who will trade off each day to work with him and take care of his needs. He will do outpatient rehab. The last prognosis was possibly a full recovery of his paralysis in a year. Sure hope so. I am going to see him in a few minutes to make sure all is still o.k. since a few days ago.

Paralysis? So he had a stroke? The symptoms were stomach pains? WTF?

nfty9er
10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Are we talking bout the same person. Charlie had a stroke as reported right from the beginning. By the way 8 ball, went to see him yesterday and lo and behold they had already sent him home over the weekend. That is encouraging.

LAMas
10-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Who? Dan or Charlie?

8ballEinstein
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry about any confusion here between Dan and Charlie. Earlier I asked about Charlie O'Brien. I didn't want to hijack the thread but I looks like I did.

Thanks for the update, nfty9er. Glad to hear that Charlie should be fine.

I am hoping for a full recovery by both Dan AND Charlie, two of the finest guys you'll find in any poolhall..

Island Drive
10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Can someone give us his home address, I'd like to send him a card.

wincardona
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
I've known Dan for about 40 years,and never have I heard anyone say anything negative about him. And thats for real.So glad to hear he is recovering from his health problems.I know there were a lot of people praying for him including myself.Get better soon and get back in action, because I know you love it.God bless.

rackmsuckr
10-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Danny, you will do anything to get out of playing scotch doubles with me, LOL! Danny, know that Mike and I have been praying for your speedy recovery. We are in the midst of moving to southern OR, and just got back from one load today. We will be gone by next Friday. Hope to see you up and around before we leave the area.

Jeff, thanks for the email updates.

God bless,
Linda