PDA

View Full Version : US Open censors Quick-Clean

david hodges
10-19-2007, 07:24 AM
I was disturbed today to find out that Quick-Clean had been removed from the vender?s booths at The US Open. When one of my distributors complained to Barry about not being able to sell Quick-Clean, Barry told him that it was his tournament and either get it off his table or pack up and go home. I understand that Chalk-Off is the cleaner of the Open, even though last year I went at Barry Behrman?s request to clean the tables because Chalk-Off wouldn?t work. I thought that was wrong to ask me to do it when he makes Chalk-Off the official cleaner but I went and helped him out of a jam. This year I couldn?t do it for him because it just not right. Now to find out that Barry has made the venders remove Quick-Clean from their booths is a slap in the face. I have been a vender with Barry for more than 20 years. I think that it is wrong that Barry and Rob Sykora would censor what you are buying. Quick-Clean, Chalk-Off, whatever, it should be your choice. To my venders out there, I am sorry that you are denied the chance to make a living because of these types of careless actions. To my customers at the US Open I apologize that the venders at the US Open are not allowed to sell you Quick-Clean. I am also embarrassed about the false and misleading advertising done by Rob Sykora and BCNTV trying to convince you that Chalk-Off and Quick-Clean are the same. Let me assure you that the two products are not the same. We had Quick-Clean tested By Simonis Cloth and Ivan Lee himself said that it was a safe cleaner for their cloth. Bernard Bollette of Simonis said that they do not recommend using Chalk-Off to clean their cloth. I do hope that the tournaments that I go to, that the venders be not censored by the promoter. Please let me see everything you have and I will make the choice what to buy. This type of careless action hurts you and me and the whole industry.

td873
10-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Not to take sides, but as a devil's advocate: Barry might have a contract with Chalk-Off as the only sponsorred cleaner. If so, Barry might be opening himself up for a lawsuit if Quick-Clean is allowed in. This isn't unheard of in corporate sponsorship - Coke and Pepsi come to mind.

Maybe he wasn't as tactful as he could have been though...

-td

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Wow, am I the only one that gets annoyed with these vendors coming to azb to publicize their business disputes?

Use bottom right and go three rails!

smokeandapancak
10-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Wow, am I the only one that gets annoyed with these vendors coming to azb to publicize their business disputes?

You are the only one who gets bothered by a lot of stuff.........

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 08:17 AM

Yes. Your avatar annoys me.

frankwhite
10-19-2007, 08:21 AM

LOL :D LOL :o LOL :eek: LOL :p

Purdman
10-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes. Your avatar annoys me.

You got sumptin against Grady and his ol'lady playing pool?
Purd :p

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 08:22 AM

Is that Grady? Oh, then it's okay.

bomber
10-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Tap Tap Tap

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Tap Tap Tap

Bomber likes me.

Njhustler1
10-19-2007, 08:30 AM
David, I'm curious who are the other vendors that are there???

PoolTees was denied a space on account that Q-Masters/US Open/Barry/whoever... had some sort of arrangement with another shirt vendor. Not sure if that meant to make US Open shirts or just someone else with a 1-apparel vendor only deal.

david hodges
10-19-2007, 09:06 AM
The apparel booth is Barry’s booth for the US Open clothing. The other venders are the usual venders that are there. There are no venders selling any type of pool table cleaner. Chalk-Off doesn’t have a booth and the other venders are not allowed to sell Quick-Clean.

Cuebacca
10-19-2007, 09:09 AM

I am bothered by a lot of things too (lol), but this thread being posted isn't one of them. From the past threads on here, I believe Mr. Hodges has a legitimate gripe against Chalk Off. I thought there was supposed to be a lawsuit, but I never heard how it turned out.

Here is the first old thread about this:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=18729

The video in that thread has been removed. However, I watched it before it was removed, and sure enough, Mr. Hodges' advertisement for Quick-Clean was dubbed over with audio promoting Chalk Off. That, along with the images and testimonials in the other threads, was enough for me to believe Mr. Hodges' side of the story.

If the other claims are true as well, we, as consumers of pool products, have a right to know. The other claims being that Chalk Off requires a warning about being a hazardous chemical and that Chalk Off is allegedly bad for your cloth. If it doesn't even work, and you're just breathing in toxic fumes, what's the point? I'm not stating that I know those claims to be true, but the threads were convincing enough for me. For my money, I'm staying on the safe side and going with Quick Clean. Here are those other threads:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=48774
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=16132
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51620

uwate
10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
The US Open isn't a publicly funded event, its a private business entity. As such he is perfectly within his rights to sign exclusive contract deals with whoever he wants. This allows the US Open to negotiate a higher contract price with Title Sponsors. You were not being censored, you just were outbid for a business deal. Happens all the time.

Next time stack it up higher on the light! You will get the action instead of Chalk Off.

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I am bothered by a lot of things too (lol), but this thread being posted isn't one of them. From the past threads on here, I believe Mr. Hodges has a legitimate gripe against Chalk Off. I thought there was supposed to be a lawsuit, but I never heard how it turned out.

Here is the first old thread about this:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=18729

The video in that thread has been removed. However, I watched it before it was removed, and sure enough, Mr. Hodges' advertisement for Quick-Clean was dubbed over with audio promoting Chalk Off. That, along with the images and testimonials in the other threads, was enough for me to believe Mr. Hodges' side of the story.

If the other claims are true as well, we, as consumers of pool products, have a right to know. The other claims being that Chalk Off requires a warning about being a hazardous chemical and that Chalk Off is allegedly bad for your cloth. If it doesn't even work, and you're just breathing in toxic fumes, what's the point? I'm not stating that I know those claims to be true, but the threads were convincing enough for me. For my money, I'm staying on the safe side and going with Quick Clean. Here are those other threads:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=48774
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=16132
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51620

I'm not arguing he does or doesn't have a gripe. However, who are we to judge? I know NOTHING about either deal or their history. The US Open is currently in progress so the people involved on the other side of this decision are currently busy.

If this were a lawsuit, both lawyers would tell their clients to stay out of the forums and shut-up. As a forum member, I think we all can agree it's the political bs that gets very annoying. I mean, no matter which side you were on with Grady and the Straight Pool Championships, it had to pain you a little that the argument was even taking place in front of us.

I mean, when I do business with someone, it's private. I don't immediately jump on the forums the moment things don't go my way. That's just not fair, especially when the other party is not actively participating in the forum.

DeadPoked
10-19-2007, 09:24 AM

You're always good for a laugh Purdman!

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 09:28 AM
You're always good for a laugh Purdman!

Wow, if i get fired for looking at your avatar at work, it will almost be worth it.

Njhustler1
10-19-2007, 09:39 AM
The apparel booth is Barry?s booth for the US Open clothing. The other venders are the usual venders that are there. There are no venders selling any type of pool table cleaner. Chalk-Off doesn?t have a booth and the other venders are not allowed to sell Quick-Clean.

thank you. no worries then.

Williebetmore
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
If this were a lawsuit, both lawyers would tell their clients to stay out of the forums and shut-up. As a forum member, I think we all can agree it's the political bs that gets very annoying. I mean, when I do business with someone, it's private. I don't immediately jump on the forums the moment things don't go my way. That's just not fair, especially when the other party is not actively participating in the forum.

JR,
Nah, this forum will never "all agree" on anything.

In this case, I am with Cuebaca; the Chalk-Off guys are rip-off artists; being assisted by BCN in the past, and by Behrman now.

I applaud David for bringing it to our attention. I am NOT in favor of leaving all problems and disputes to the lawyers; and I am NOT in favor of ignoring all problems just because one party doesn't participate in the forum (for example: I don't recall Kevin Trudeau posting a lot here; but I do believe complaints about his behavior are appropriate for the forum to discuss, even if he chooses to be silent).

Too many people hide behind the lawyers, and thrive on denying the obvious; this case is fairly cut and dried to anyone who saw the initial video.....no lawyer can convince me that I didn't see it.

I personally wouldn't use Chalk-Off if you gave me a truckload - I'll vote with my pocket book.

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Too many people hide behind the lawyers, and thrive on denying the obvious; this case is fairly cut and dried to anyone who saw the initial video.....no lawyer can convince me that I didn't see it.

I personally wouldn't use Chalk-Off if you gave me a truckload - I'll vote with my pocket book.

Wait, are we talking about a right to sell at the US Open or a doctored video? This thread, at least how I understood it, was directed at the US Open, not competing Chalk-Off.

I mean, this happens ALL THE TIME now. Someone starts a thread sounding off about how they've been cheated, we all chime in then a week later, the other party does the same and suddenly new and damning evidence surfaces. Like I said, who the hell are we to judge either way? If someone's been wronged, you get your lawyers in it. That's what lawyers do. It just seems so unprofessional to me. In my world, you make business partners over dinner and wine, not through accusations on billiard forums.

Bastian
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Interesting.. I agree with both sides here. As sponsorships and business competition go, it seems silly to bring this debate here.

But I, as a consumer, learned something new from this post about one product over another, so that has to be a good thing, right? If the sponsorship agreement led to the crappy product getting all the ad space at the Open, it's only in forums like this that the real story can be told.

Then again, anyone who assumes an 'official blah blah product of the blah blah ' is worth anything more than another product based on said sponsorship, probably wouldn't learn much from a newsgroup anyway.

Hmm, if I were in the market for a table cleaner though, I'd search here then just post a question of the community and learn the same info..

Yep, gotta go with Jude on this one.

supergreenman
10-19-2007, 10:23 AM

I'd rather bank it to the left corner pocket, but no, you're not the only one that gets annoyed when commercial businesses come on the forum to air thier dirty laundry.

Craig Fales
10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
LOLz....that's what first came to mind when I seen that...:eek: :eek:

I've met David Hodges before and is nice guy and it's a shame he's being shut out but maybe Barry does have to abide by some legal contractual obligation...

catscradle
10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
David, fwiw, I think you're are in the moral right here, but the fact is Barry is within his rights as a business man to do as he pleases.
I, for one, will continue to buy Quick-clean not Chalk-off. Matter of fact I'd use "Blue Coral Dri-Clean Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner" before I'd use Chalk-off. Your product does a good job and doesn't leave a smell in my cloth, I like that. Besides I thought the way they moved in on you after you spend all the money to promote it was pretty sleazy, but then again we are talking about the pool world.

supergreenman
10-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Besides I thought the way they moved in on you after you spend all the money to promote it was pretty sleazy, but then again we are talking about the pool world.

It's comments like these that propagate the notion that the pool world is sleazy. I don't see the evidence that points to the "pool world" having any more sleaze than the rest of the world.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Yours for a continued sleaze free pool world.

SGM

frankncali
10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Wait, are we talking about a right to sell at the US Open or a doctored video? This thread, at least how I understood it, was directed at the US Open, not competing Chalk-Off.

I mean, this happens ALL THE TIME now. Someone starts a thread sounding off about how they've been cheated, we all chime in then a week later, the other party does the same and suddenly new and damning evidence surfaces. Like I said, who the hell are we to judge either way? If someone's been wronged, you get your lawyers in it. That's what lawyers do. It just seems so unprofessional to me. In my world, you make business partners over dinner and wine, not through accusations on billiard forums.

True but the media can play a larger role than any lawyer can. How many good issues have been left in the hands of lawyers only to never see the light of day. Most of the wrongs that have been righted with a lawsuit have stipulations in them that you cant discuss them.
I dont see anything wrong with David coming here to a group of his peers and venting a little. Its also a media source that prehaps he can use to let some people in the industry know whats going on.

I do see your point though. Looking at it that way shouldnt BB have called David and explained the situation to him personally. Afterall the guy did go there and help him out.

Maybe I just see the Open differently due to 2 bad trips there but I have never had or understood the love affair that many have had with Behrman(sp?).

Craig Fales
10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
David, fwiw, I think you're are in the moral right here, but the fact is Barry is within his rights as a business man to do as he pleases.
I, for one, will continue to buy Quick-clean not Chalk-off. Matter of fact I'd use "Blue Coral Dri-Clean Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner" before I'd use Chalk-off. Your product does a good job and doesn't leave a smell in my cloth, I like that. Besides I thought the way they moved in on you after you spend all the money to promote it was pretty sleazy, but then again we are talking about the pool world.
I try and not lump the whole pool/billiards industry as crooked....

Looking at the thread from 2 years ago jogs my memory and I recall thinking at first they were the same thing...I recall adverts where it shows David spraying a table down and all of the sudden it shows Chalk off as the product...to me this would get you in court fast as hell...

catscradle
10-19-2007, 10:43 AM
It's comments like these that propagate the notion that the pool world is sleazy. I don't see the evidence that points to the "pool world" having any more sleaze than the rest of the world.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Yours for a continued sleaze free pool world.

SGM

I suppose you're right, but that only means the world at large is sleazy.

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I suppose you're right, but that only means the world at large is sleazy.

Hey, why are we so quick to knock sleeze? I miss the sleeze.

Craig Fales
10-19-2007, 10:53 AM
This is an attempt to mislead the market, plain and simple.
The commercials show Mr. Hodges cleaning a table, and then advertise the "Chalk Off" product.

An example.

Don't you think Cuetec would have a problem if Scorpion made a commercial showing Earl playing, and touting the features of that product.

I doubt Mr. Hodges would clean a table with anything other than his own product. This is a cheap shot by a crooked marketer.

Post from the old thread...just to clarify things...I don't know if there's a connection with Bcn and this whole debacle because the video advert I seen was on ESPN IIRC....

!Smorgass Bored
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey, why are we so quick to knock sleeze? I miss the sleeze.

You called ?

Williebetmore
10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Like I said, who the hell are we to judge either way? If someone's been wronged, you get your lawyers in it. That's what lawyers do.

JR,
I guess I will have to disagree that lawyers are the answer to all of society's judgement issues (you must have a higher degree of appreciation for them than I do). We ALL must make judgements every day....no need to fear the process. Kevin Trudeau, Adolf Hitler, and Jerry Falwell all have made a fortune by making our judgements for us (I would have added breakup's name, but he is such a sleaze the others would be offended).

The forum is a very appropriate place to present your side of any problem that is pool related. This may be the only way that interested pool players can find out about things that may directly affect us - if Jude Rosenstock fires an air barrel at sjm; how else am I going to find out about it if not through AZB (the nightly news is unlikely to cover this disgraceful behavior). I have heard some very useful things this way (ie; be careful gambling with Tony Ruberto, make Ronnie Wiseman post up, be careful ordering cue work from several different guys, etc., etc.). Are all of my judgements about these people correct?.....maybe not, but at least I can protect myself.

If the scumbag......errr....offending party wants to chime in a week later, then let him; no one has to read all of these threads if they are not interested.

P.S. - Jude, David Hodges is a respected forum member. He has actively supported and contributed to the AZB room. FYI.

Williebetmore
10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
You called ?

Bored-One,
GEEEEZ LOUISE!!!!!! That is the single worst avatar of ALL TIME!!!!!!

Where did you find a picture of breakup? I think he might have let himself slide a bit after the crushing defeat in the Grudge Match.

!Smorgass Bored
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
no one has to read all of these threads if they are not interested.

NOW you tell me !
Doug
( 10 years completely wasted ) :)

Cuebacca
10-19-2007, 11:18 AM

I brought up the doctored ads because it seemed to me that they were part of the history that lead up to the issue at the Open.

I mean, this happens ALL THE TIME now. Someone starts a thread sounding off about how they've been cheated, we all chime in then a week later, the other party does the same and suddenly new and damning evidence surfaces.

I see your point. However, I don't think it's a black-and-white issue. One of the great things about the internet is that it gives consumers a free, convenient way to find out which products and services are worth the money, and which are a big ripoff. If I have to catch a whiff of someone's dirty laundry being aired to prevent my laundry from being soiled, so be it.

That said, both sides (thread starter and readers) should approach with caution. If you feel you've been wronged, you don't want to jump on the forum right away and flame someone. You should try to work it out first. However, if and when it becomes clear that you are truly getting screwed, warning other people about the problem seems like the right thing to do.

Likewise, the ones reading about it shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. You're right; people can be too quick to judge. Based on the evidence we were shown, I don't think that's the case with the video.

As far as the issue at the Open, that just sounds like business. In and of itself, there's probably nothing wrong with it. As Mr. Uwate pointed out, the contract probably just went to the highest bidder. However, to me, when I look at that in the context of the history between Chalk-Off and Quick-Clean, that is when it really stings. IMO, it makes it more than just a big company eating a little one.

Like I said, who the hell are we to judge either way?

I am the consumer; that's who. :)

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
P.S. - Jude, David Hodges is a respected forum member. He has actively supported and contributed to the AZB room. FYI.

He has 37 posts and from what I see, 36 of them are related to his product. Can you please explain what you mean? Seriously, I respect what you have to say but I don't see what you're talking about.

Williebetmore
10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
He has 37 posts and from what I see, 36 of them are related to his product. Can you please explain what you mean? Seriously, I respect what you have to say but I don't see what you're talking about.

JR,
All I meant was that he has always been supportive of AZB activities - donating time and money. He has also always been willing to help people who were interested in knowing more about his product - I have always thought his posts were very fair. I do not see him as a relentless self-promoter (we do have a few of those); and I was getting the impression that you thought he was. I'm sure that quite a few AZB'ers have met him at DCC; I hope this year will be no different.

Jude Rosenstock
10-19-2007, 11:52 AM
JR,
All I meant was that he has always been supportive of AZB activities - donating time and money. He has also always been willing to help people who were interested in knowing more about his product - I have always thought his posts were very fair. I do not see him as a relentless self-promoter (we do have a few of those); and I was getting the impression that you thought he was.

I mean, I haven't come to any conclusions yet and I hope he proves you right.

I guess I just get a little skeptical since so many times I see threads similar in tone that are missing important facts. I would prefer it, at the very least, if this thread started AFTER the US Open. At least then, there might be some retort.

TheHole
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I think his point was that even though Chalk Off was the official cleaner last year as well, Chalk Off would not get the tables clean, so Barry asked Quick Clean to get the tables clean. Quick Clean did Barry a solid from what I am understanding and is pissed that Barry did not return the solid this year because Quick Clean said he couldn't clean the tables for Barry this year. So Barry banned Quick Clean. I know the feeling of doing someone a favor then having them be a total douchebag, so I feel for ya.

Fatboy
10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
i wouldnt waste my $$$ on either of the products, a brush, vacuum and a little work and the table is fine, pool has been around for years this stuff popped up in the last few years, its all snake oil,

Cuebacca
10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
i wouldnt waste my $$$ on either of the products, a brush, vacuum and a little work and the table is fine, pool has been around for years this stuff popped up in the last few years, its all snake oil,

I don't think it's fair to call it snake oil, but of course you are entitled to feel that way. I don't know yet if Quick Clean can 100% replace a vacuum and brush. I haven't been using it long enough yet. But I'm going to try it and see. So far so good. It does take the chalk up. I can see that the chalk marks from breaking are gone after using it.

My *#@$%'in roommate also just got bicycle degreaser on my Simonis. Don't ask me how something so ridiculous could possibly happen. I've put a few applications of Quick Clean on it, and it's drastically reduced the stains. Not completely gone, but much better. A brush and vacuum could never do that.

To me, the convenience and speed of Quick Clean would be worth the minor cost, assuming that it does work as well as brushing/vacuuming. Not to mention, it's much easier on the back! ;)

Fatboy
10-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't think it's fair to call it snake oil, but of course you are entitled to feel that way. I don't know yet if Quick Clean can 100% replace a vacuum and brush. I haven't been using it long enough yet. But I'm going to try it and see. So far so good. It does take the chalk up. I can see that the chalk marks from breaking are gone after using it.

My *#@$%'in roommate also just got bicycle degreaser on my Simonis. Don't ask me how something so ridiculous could possibly happen. I've put a few applications of Quick Clean on it, and it's drastically reduced the stains. Not completely gone, but much better. A brush and vacuum could never do that.

To me, the convenience and speed of Quick Clean would be worth the minor cost, assuming that it does work as well as brushing/vacuuming. Not to mention, it's much easier on the back! ;)

ok not snake oil, it might make things easier but I dont think its 100% necessary. Just another thing to waste $$$ on. IMO.

Cuebacca
10-19-2007, 03:30 PM
ok not snake oil, it might make things easier but I dont think its 100% necessary. Just another thing to waste $$$ on. IMO.

Hehe. I don't know about you, but in some ways I guess I'm just a lazy American. If I can brush and vacuum my table in 10 minutes for the cost of electricity and elbow grease, or Quick Clean it in 60 seconds for 50 cents, I'll shell out the 50 cents. (If I really had money to burn, I might get a maid and teach her how to brush and vacuum. :) LOL.)

I'm usually pretty tight with my money, but there are certain things that are worth it to me. However, I respect the fact that some would prefer to save the coin where possible, and simply go with the old fashion, tried and true, route.

Purdman
10-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I was disturbed today to find out that Quick-Clean had been removed from the vender?s booths at The US Open. When one of my distributors complained to Barry about not being able to sell Quick-Clean, Barry told him that it was his tournament and either get it off his table or pack up and go home. I understand that Chalk-Off is the cleaner of the Open, even though last year I went at Barry Behrman?s request to clean the tables because Chalk-Off wouldn?t work. I thought that was wrong to ask me to do it when he makes Chalk-Off the official cleaner but I went and helped him out of a jam. This year I couldn?t do it for him because it just not right. Now to find out that Barry has made the venders remove Quick-Clean from their booths is a slap in the face. I have been a vender with Barry for more than 20 years. I think that it is wrong that Barry and Rob Sykora would censor what you are buying. Quick-Clean, Chalk-Off, whatever, it should be your choice. To my venders out there, I am sorry that you are denied the chance to make a living because of these types of careless actions. To my customers at the US Open I apologize that the venders at the US Open are not allowed to sell you Quick-Clean. I am also embarrassed about the false and misleading advertising done by Rob Sykora and BCNTV trying to convince you that Chalk-Off and Quick-Clean are the same. Let me assure you that the two products are not the same. We had Quick-Clean tested By Simonis Cloth and Ivan Lee himself said that it was a safe cleaner for their cloth. Bernard Bollette of Simonis said that they do not recommend using Chalk-Off to clean their cloth. I do hope that the tournaments that I go to, that the venders be not censored by the promoter. Please let me see everything you have and I will make the choice what to buy. This type of careless action hurts you and me and the whole industry.

Dave, I have met you, PM'ed you and am aware of your product. I have used it and like it. I know who's on first and that the corporate world only has 1 bottom line and no ethics. "$$$$" that is to say. The sale of your product at the Open jeopardised somebodys bottom line. Please don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I am sure that after all this time you have learned how to deal with it. I hope these types do not affect your life a great deal.
I will buy 5 cans and the brush thing from any vendor you recomend for use on my home table. I will lend some to the pool halls in my area if I can get them to stop using that dam rotating brush and ruining the new Simonos 860. I will also purchase the Open thru BCN and not go spend 2 to 6 grand in Chesapeak until your product is allowed to be sold by your vendors. That is BS my friend. This is a promise that I will keep.
I can stay home, get laid by the most wonderful lover I ever had, eat Lobster, drink dome DP, blow some smoke, stay out of jail and have a cold one, and watch nthe major matches for $14.95 when I feel like it. :D
Peace and success to you my friend.
Don "Purdman" Purdy

Williebetmore
10-19-2007, 05:12 PM
My *#@$%'in roommate also just got bicycle degreaser on my Simonis. Don't ask me how something so ridiculous could possibly happen.

Cue-B,
I hope that I will not be held liable for this advice:

Have you considered making him your ex-bleeping roommate (or possibly your late-bleeping roommate)? I would have sold any of my children for committing such a heinous act (fortunately I think they were fairly warned, and smart enough not to cross the line).

NYC cue dude
10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
there are a few points to be made.

First, if chalk off is the official clth cleaning sponsor of the open, and behrman asked you to remove the competing product from the premises, I can only assume behrman recieved pressure, legal or otherwise, to take action. Generally, there is no room for exceptions under these circumstances. It would have been more appropriate to center your original post on the displeasure about your personal encounter with behrman, in light of your past favor to him, instead of focusing on "censorship" issues. Barry sure can use some tutoring on his people skills, but from a business standpoint, he was just fufilling his legal obligations.

The other noteworthy issue is, should this poster address this forum about his product and recent experience. IMO, definetely. No one, literally, can deny this is pool related, and that really is the only requirement for posting. But, I will add that this is not the place to adjudicate past history between the products. That is what the courts are for.

With all that being said, I am glad that this thread was posted, if for no other reason that it reminds us, the consumers, about the unscrupulous past actions of chalk off.

Rg

Cuebacca
10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Cue-B,
I hope that I will not be held liable for this advice:

Have you considered making him your ex-bleeping roommate (or possibly your late-bleeping roommate)? I would have sold any of my children for committing such a heinous act (fortunately I think they were fairly warned, and smart enough not to cross the line).

Well, to his credit, he told me to let him know what the damages end up being. I guess that doesn't really matter anyway, as I've already discussed it with the Pool Gods. Unfortunately, for him, they require a blood sacrifice.

Fatboy
10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Hehe. I don't know about you, but in some ways I guess I'm just a lazy American. If I can brush and vacuum my table in 10 minutes for the cost of electricity and elbow grease, or Quick Clean it in 60 seconds for 50 cents, I'll shell out the 50 cents. (If I really had money to burn, I might get a maid and teach her how to brush and vacuum. :) LOL.)

I'm usually pretty tight with my money, but there are certain things that are worth it to me. However, I respect the fact that some would prefer to save the coin where possible, and simply go with the old fashion, tried and true, route.

i'm just old school, it aint the $$$, it also seems odd to spray something liquid on the cloth, but hey if people like it and want to buy it ether product more power to them. enjoy your week end.

cuetechasaurus
10-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Chalk-Off stole the idea from David Hodges, now he is getting screwed by Sykora and Behrman. I feel bad for the guy, they screwed him over pretty badly.

Cuebacca
10-19-2007, 07:37 PM
i'm just old school, it aint the $$$, it also seems odd to spray something liquid on the cloth, but hey if people like it and want to buy it ether product more power to them. enjoy your week end.

Thanks, Fatboy. Hope you have a good one too.

Quesports
10-19-2007, 07:56 PM
They probably put quick clean in the chalk off containers this year!!
Dan

d_flash
10-19-2007, 08:02 PM
The US Open isn't a publicly funded event, its a private business entity. As such he is perfectly within his rights to sign exclusive contract deals with whoever he wants. This allows the US Open to negotiate a higher contract price with Title Sponsors. You were not being censored, you just were outbid for a business deal. Happens all the time.

Next time stack it up higher on the light! You will get the action instead of Chalk Off.

the answer to all this whining was way back in post #14. whoever greases the palm (stacks it higher on the light) gets to sell his product at the event. that's the way these things/events work.

some on this forum don't have a clue about how things happen in the business world. did you ever wonder why certain items ( bread, beverages. etc) get placed in the best/arm level spaces in Wal Mart and other stores ? they grease the corporate palms, and even the managers at the local levels, too.

I'm not saying it's right, but that's how it works. been here almost 60 years and have seen, done a lot...JMHO. ;)

Purdman
10-20-2007, 06:01 AM

Problem is that he changed the rules in the middle of the game, or after 31 years. I hope it is worth it to him. He has lost me as a fan until he changes things.
Purd

Purdman
10-20-2007, 06:14 AM

Fatboy, try it on your table and you will be surprized. I have only had 1 can in my life. That was 3 years ago. I had the table since 1999 and it looked better than it did for 5 before the can. I would get some more if I could get it from Dave.
Purd

JimS
10-20-2007, 06:25 AM
I'm glad this thread was started. I started another one but didn't remember the details regarding the dispute but I was pretty sure that Chalk Off had done something pretty unscrupulous to someone that posted here, i.e. David Hodges.

I'm buying Quick Clean and I'm not buying Chalk Off. End of discussion for me.

MikeM
10-20-2007, 07:19 AM
..you posted this Dave. Last night a friend and I were looking for Quick Clean in the vendor area and couldn't find it. I knew I had seen it earlier in the week.

Thanks for the info. I had hoped to buy some and not have to pay shipping. I love the way your product works on my Simonis.

MM

watchez
10-20-2007, 07:51 AM
This is ridiculious. Makes you think that Chalk Off & Barry are nervous that people will find out that their product is inferior.

Guess who used to OWN the St Louis Cardinals? August Busch but even in his stadium for his team, he sold Miller Lite.

Gunn_Slinger
10-20-2007, 08:29 AM
opsey duplicate post

Gunn_Slinger
10-20-2007, 08:31 AM
The apparel booth is Barry?s booth for the US Open clothing. The other venders are the usual venders that are there. There are no venders selling any type of pool table cleaner. Chalk-Off doesn?t have a booth and the other venders are not allowed to sell Quick-Clean.

Doesn't it seem strange that you can't even buy chalk off at the event, and they are a sponsor?
Now how weird is that.
mrs.g