PDA

View Full Version : Keith McCready - a Good read.

JoeyA
11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
I had never read this before tonight and didn't realize there was so much info on Keith. The link contains lots of interesting facts. Many years ago I heard about the kid from California who played barefoot at the pool tables in Baton Rouge and roasted everyone he played.

When he reached for a shot you could see the bottoms of his feet were black as coal. He was deadly then and on occasion can still light-up the tables.

Enjoy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_McCready

JoeyA

DeadPoked
11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I think JAM is the one that contributed to Keith's wiki page. I think she might also be doing that for many other pool players as well. Good for her.

Ky Boy
11-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the read. Gotta love that Keith. Always enjoy watching him play. Thanks Joey!!

Gary

hemicudas
11-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I think JAM is the one that contributed to Keith's wiki page. I think she might also be doing that for many other pool players as well. Good for her.

I totally agree, DP. There are many things JAM does that don't get recognition. She is a true asset to the billiards world. Thanks, JAM.

d_flash
11-28-2007, 09:34 PM
From May of '03. :)

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=287

JAM
11-29-2007, 02:13 AM
I totally agree, DP. There are many things JAM does that don't get recognition. She is a true asset to the billiards world. Thanks, JAM.

Thanks, Bill. It is actually because of AzBilliards Discussion Forum that I learned about Wikipedia. I did not know much about it until Snapshot9 explained it to me in a thread when I asked why Filipino players were well represented on Wikipedia and not very many American players. :D

That is when I decided to roll up my sleeves and become a junior Wikipedian. I have been "adopted" on Wikipedia by a senior Wikipedian now, but it is still a learning process for me. The punctuation style is English and not American, i.e., quotation marks inside punctuation marks, et cetera.

The National Billiard Newsletter, the oldest pool media, closed its doors earlier this year. I loved that paper and still to. I bought all issues from 1975 to 1985 in an effort to obtain name spellings, dates, and other chronological data. The Snap magazine, though not in existence for very long, is also a gold mine when it comes to data of American pool players in the '80s.

In writing Keith's book, I soon came to realize there was not much by way of a pool archives, especially as it pertains to history of American pool. Word of mouth seems to be the best source sometimes. Pool as we know it today has a rich history, much of which emanated in the States.

What's tough about American pool players is the lack of data available. Everything in Wikipedia must be referenced with a news source, book, or other written material. Word of mouth don't cut it on Wikipedia.

There are a few pool Wikipedians who contribute from time to time, but more data is needed for American pool players. So far, we only have 43 American players in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_pool_players

This number should be at least 243 American players and not 43, but the data for referencing purposes is hard to come by.

The only thing stopping me from adding more players is finding the time needed to do it the right way. Terry Ardeno, with his vast knowledge of American players, sure would make a great Wikipedian, IMHO! :)

JAM

DeadPoked
11-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Keep up the great work JAM! The work you are doing will live on well past all of our years and you should feel proud of your efforts.

And I agree with you, Terry is very qualified to contribute. He has a lot of extensive pool player info stored up that would be a great addition to those wiki articles.

hemicudas
11-29-2007, 04:22 AM
Keep up the great work JAM! The work you are doing will live on well past all of our years and you should feel proud of your efforts.

And I agree with you, Terry is very qualified to contribute. He has a lot of extensive pool player info stored up that would be a great addition to those wiki articles.

Again I have to agree, DP. Plus, Terry, is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Rep. to ya for recognizing my friend, Terry.

CTYankee
11-29-2007, 05:18 AM
What a great project... JAM, your contribution to all things Billiards is really appreciated by many of us.

sjm
11-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Wow, that was superb. Great job, JAM, in capturing Keith's personality and legacy.

PS Wikipedia says Keith learned from Eddy "Cueball" Kelly. Actually, there was no such person. Cueball Kelly was the nickname of a legendary referee whose last name wasn't even Kelly. The legendary player Eddie Kelly was known as "Champagne Eddie" Kelly.

Icon of Sin
11-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Great read, thanks for posting!!!

Fatboy
11-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I play barefoot too, sadly not as good as Keith, Duh, I like how the floor feels, Keith is great he is a complex person like Stu Unger. I wish him and JAM the best, awalys.