PDA

View Full Version : What was the first cue you ever owned?

Poolfiend
11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Just sitting here thinking about all the amazing cues I've seen sold, traded and worshipped on this site. Makes me wonder if some of those that have graduated to high-end collectibles started out with a hand me down custom cue or a POS.

I will start: My first cue came to me as a birthday present when I was 15. A sweet black graphite Excalibur or Eliminator or something like that. I actually picked it out myself so I can't blame anyone else. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Since then I graduated to a custom Scruggs and I am awaiting a custom Zylr.

Cuaba
11-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I got a McDermott for Xmas when I was in high school, I think it was a D-9? Since then I've baught Szambotis, Balabushkas, Ginacues, etc.

trustyrusty
11-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Mid 80's Meucci Hustler (sneaky pete). I didn't buy it....I borrowed it for a few years after my pops had Ray Schuler make him a cue :) First cue I ever purchased was a Mali (around '91), but I played with the hustler instead, sold the Mali to a buddy....

manwon
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Just sitting here thinking about all the amazing cues I've seen sold, traded and worshipped on this site. Makes me wonder if some of those that have graduated to high-end collectibles started out with a hand me down custom cue or a POS.

I will start: My first cue came to me as a birthday present when I was 15. A sweet black graphite Excalibur or Eliminator or something like that. I actually picked it out myself so I can't blame anyone else. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Since then I graduated to a custom Scruggs and I am awaiting a custom Zylr.

My first cue was a Huebler, that I purchased from Paul directly in 1974. I paid $50 for the cue at that time, and recently sold it to friend for $350. The cue was still straight, and it played very well, although it was a little heavy and had a large handle area, which was common during that time frame.

Have a good night!!!

Varney Cues
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
$39 Stratford sneaky. Bought from Playworld on Merrimon Ave in Asheville NC. I believe Dana still owns the joint.:)

Edited to add: The first quality cue I owned was a nice old Meucci original. I finally won my first tourney and blew the entire wad on the Moochie. When I got involved with some quality players they made so much fun of my Moochie that I traded for a Balabushka...got laughed at by cue vendors in Vegas cause in was a Helmsetter GB (damn Color of Money movie :rolleyes: ) and then traded up for a nice Schon. Was happy until Kelly Oyama & some other pros pointed out the rounded (cnc) points and laughed...then traded up to a Bludworth and was very happy. That started a never ending journey into custom cues...Hunter, Dishaw, Cog, SW, Gilbert, Samsara, and many more. LOL...now I play with a beat up old Varney hustler...and never been happier.:D

Maniac
11-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Since your question was "What was the first cue you ever owned?" and not "What was the first GOOD cue you ever owned?", then I must answer with: A cheap-ass K-Mart special with faux mother-of-pearl dots near each end of the "kite-string" wrap. It also features three faux mother-of-pearl rings which are about a half-inch wide. The joint is what appears to be brass and the wood is more than likely some kind of hardwood other than maple. I speak of this cue in present tense because, although I bought it in the mid-seventies, I still have it. It sits in the corner of my home poolroom adorned with a Moosehead bridge. It was one cheap p.o.s. when it was new, but it makes an excellent bridge stick.

Maniac

Ralph Kramden
11-28-2007, 10:55 PM
My 'first cue' was one that I never really owned. I used to help around the poolroom after school cleaning tables, balls and the floor. The owner kept a house cue for me behind the counter. I was the only one that used that cue for a couple years... a one piece with a orange and blue colored veneer in the splice.

BlowFish
11-28-2007, 10:57 PM
A Minnesota Fats Gambler -Overlay- Cue from China that cost me $40. As a struggling student, it was my priced possesion. I befriended the Sales Lady to let me dig into some shafts, until I find the most straight shaft they have. First thing I did was change the ferrule and tip. I still have the cue and it still hits the same as before. Crappy for my standards now, but still a good cue to bring to bars. :D

SPINDOKTOR
11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
My first cue was a 40$ dufferin, My first good production was a Joss.

SPINDOKTOR

zhouray
11-28-2007, 11:38 PM
My first cue was a 40$ dufferin, My first good production was a Joss.

SPINDOKTOR
Haha.. Same.
My first cue was a 30 bucks dufferin. Not long after I bought a McDermott which I considered to be my true first cue. ;)

crazy8
11-28-2007, 11:47 PM
My first cue was mentioned earlier, a black graphite excaliber from walmart. I hated that f$#%n stick! Made a tink noise everytime I shot. The funny thing is some poor S.O.B stole it, and gave me an excuse to buy a Mcdermitt.

commswatch
11-28-2007, 11:54 PM
First cue was bought used for me by my old man, an old Schmelke for $30.
First quality cue was a Jacoby, first and current Custom cue is an Alex Brick.

Rotarded
11-29-2007, 12:02 AM
After 25 years of "house" cues I broke down and purchased a Pechauer, followed by a Meucci, a Joss, and a Meucci Originals all in the matter of 4 months. Then the wife stepped in..........

Rod
11-29-2007, 12:15 AM
A jointed Brunswick Willie Hoppe Titlist with a leather wrap. Oops showing my age. LOL

Rod

geocheren
11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
First cue ever was a cheapo cue from Dicks Sporting Goods, it all started 3 Years ago, and I was (and still is) a broke college student.
Heres a brief line up of what happened since then:
2 Months later, got a 'Players' cue, then another Players cue, along with a bunch of crappy decal cues.
8 Months after first cue, got a Joss Plain Jane. (Still continued to try out other cues on the side)
13 Months after first cue, got a 314 Shaft
15 Months, Got and OB-1, it was less popular back then
18 Months, Got preowned Predator SP with 314 shaft
21 Months, Got new Predator 4K2 with 314 shaft and Sledgehammer cue
24 Months, collection at one point was 3x Falcon cues, 2x Joss, 3x Predator cues.
27-29 Months, everything was sold except Joss w/ 314 + OB1, and bought BK2 + 314-2.
30 Months, Got a Brand New Dishaw straight from his shop
33 Months, Ordered a Dominiak, Dayton, another Dishaw, was in possession of a Predator LE-XI, several Joss and Falcons.
Now: sold everything except: Dishaws, 1 Dayton, 1 Dominiak, 2x BK2s, 1 Joss+314&OB1, 1 Falcon.
Plans to keep: Custom Dishaw, Dayton, Joss (plain jane) + OB1, BK2.

RRfireblade
11-29-2007, 01:35 AM
First cue was one of my fathers I ended up with when I was around 8 or so.

Never found out what it was. I had that cue around longer than I had him around tho. :) Had better times with it too.

Passed it on to another family member a few years ago.

WesleyW
11-29-2007, 03:58 AM
First cue: Longoni Black Fox S
2 months later: Buffalo Classic Red
1 month later: Stinger Shadow B/J
1 month later: Longoni P8 Pro2+
5 months later: Thinking to go back to my Buffalo and buy a 314/Z shaft for it.

arsenius
11-29-2007, 04:41 AM
$60 or $70 Viper! That lasted only a few months before it warped (a little). I didn't know yet that keepin a cue in a soft case laying flat on the floor during the summer with no A/C wasn't a good idea.:) I took it back and asked if I could buy another shaft for it, they told me it was too cheap a cue for that.:) It's still hanging around my mother's house.

Matt_24
11-29-2007, 04:57 AM
First cue: Meucci Sneaky pete

Charlie Edwards
11-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Adam AH/20 model, bought in mid 70's for $21.00.

DrCue'sProtege
11-29-2007, 05:25 AM
first cue, eh?

the first, i believe, was a $50 Viper cue from Louie's Billiards in vincennes.

rambling on,

the second, was a Cuetec cue, think it was the 99263 model.

the third, and first custom, was a Nova by Nubs Wagner.

thanks,

DCP

PROG8R
11-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Black base line McDermott, with the linen wrap, then meucci, then bludworth, then joss, then Schon, then HighEnd Bludworth, then joss, mcdermott J/B, then Falcon J/B cue, then Joss, then Joss SP (again), Bludworth, Joel Kahn custom (WOW!! the nuts never should have sold it) RT Custom, Dufferin J/B, Rat cue, house cues where ever I went, Eddie Wheat / Rat Cue custom, scorpion NT-06 that has been re-threaded with a 3/8x10 pin and an old Mcdermott shaft that I use for breaks.

StrokeofLuck
11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
A Schmelke with a stubby brass joint, leather wrap and heavy. I think it was about $48. I remember the best player in the area at the time had an action match going and his cue had been stolen so I offered him mine and he chose to shoot off the wall:eek: I was devastated.

Pushout
11-29-2007, 05:44 AM
Adam in the early '70s. About $25, IIRC. Never knew what model, nobody paid any attention to that stuff.

Blackjack
11-29-2007, 06:05 AM
My first cue was an Adam - nice hitting cue - I wish I still had it today. My step father broke it over his knee when he saw one of my report cards. (Long story - LOL).

RBLilly
11-29-2007, 06:19 AM
$30 Bud Light Cue from Spencers was the first cue I ever owned..........what a royal piece of crap!

The next was a $30 cue from Korea, that wasn't much better, but I needed something straight.

Then my mom bought me a McDermott for Christmas that year!

Never had a crappy cue since!

qfancier
11-29-2007, 06:21 AM
McDermott B-1 in 1977. Still have it.

Hierovision
11-29-2007, 06:36 AM
After demonstrating some natural skill to my pop in a summer-school tournament that I won, my dad took me to connelly billiards shop and I picked out a cuetec black graphite cue that I kept until I was 18. I could do ANYTHING with that cue haha! I was so used to it since I played with it for 6 years straight it didn't matter that it was a cuetec... I played well.

I lost it in the move to my first duty station, but got myself a nice solid Viking soon after with a predator Z-shaft which I fell in love with. I was the most accurate I've ever been with that shaft, cutting the skin off the ball at cross-table distance.

After realizing I was putting way too much english on without trying, I sold the Z-shaft and went back to the normal shaft.

Couple years later it developed a rattle and I decided to spring for a custom sneaky from Varney with a 314-2. A year after THAT and I've got my Josey. Now come January I'll have my Carmeli, and thanks to Koinnkid and his awesome deal on OB-1 shafts I'll have two of those; one for the Josey and one for the Carmeli :)

CaptainHook
11-29-2007, 06:59 AM
My first cue was a Championship cue from Robertsons Billiards in Tampa.
This was my X-mas present in 1974.

I still have it, it rolls dead straight, I take it out and play with it a few times a year.

It was a screw on tip, til the mid 80's when Wayne Gunn put a new Ferulle and tip on it.

dfweyer
11-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Started off with a $35 Budweiser cue (included a nylon case & extra tip)...this isn't the cheap screw on tip type of cue. Although I have used a cue with a screw on tip in my life...

Still have the cue, pretty banged up since I used it as my bar cue & for others to use.

Fatboy
11-29-2007, 07:49 AM
a Huebler H-14 my dad bought it for me, I couldnt stand it, I loved how it looked but even as a D---- player I knew it wast gonna work. I did sell it to a guy in Sac who loved it, he was a solid player, road player that stopped for a few months in Sac, i Just couldnt make it work.

hemicudas
11-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Three 15 year old kids racing to the pool room after school, all seeking the holy grail of wall cues, a 19oz, straight as an arrow, Balabushka, of wall cues.

The winner of the race was assured of not having to pay for their pool time the rest of the day. The cue was that good. Or, was it just mental? It really didn't matter because the three of us all played the same speed with all things else equal, we all just seemd to play much better with that cue in hand.

Being the slowest runner of the three, I was always having to slip out the side door of study hall to get a head start if I was to have a chance at this magic wand. This was in 1962, when bought in bulk a wall cue cost the owner of the pool room $1.50-$2.00 each.

One Monday afternoon I stroll into the pool room and see my two friends scrambling through cues on the wall looking for our magic cue. When they see me they run from rack to rack but the cue isn't there. I walk behind the counter, reach up under it and start to unwrap the two towels I had put around what was now MY magic wand. I had paid the owner $5 for a cue he had at most $2 in. Lot of money for a kid back then but it made me the top player in our room and it was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my first cue.

tom haney
11-29-2007, 07:56 AM
My 1st stick was an aluminum cue made in England.
My 1st real cue was a Meucci OL-1, the " Diamond."

Rick S.
11-29-2007, 08:18 AM
I got a McDermott for Xmas when I was in high school, I think it was a D-9? Since then I've baught Szambotis, Balabushkas, Ginacues, etc.

Same here...D9 McDermott. Bought it in Phx. in 84.

Rick S.

Poolfiend
11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I didn't expect to get such great stories along with the answers, keep them coming.

thepavlos
11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Scruggs SP

MOJOE
11-29-2007, 08:37 AM
First cue was a discount store special for probably less than $20..

I soon graduated to a warped sneaky pete that I bought from Meullers, played with that cue for several years.

Then moved on to several Meucci's. When they were a decent cue.. I didn't know better back then.:confused:

Since getting the custom cue bug, I have owned many! Think I'll stick with my Madden cue for a while..

Vahmurka
11-29-2007, 08:39 AM
mine was a Cuetec, Strickland signature series. $140 for brand new one. It was one of the best available at local market back then. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, because I soon realized that pure wood is better than plastic cover.

cleary
11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
I was just starting out in pool and wasnt going to spend very much on a cue so I was going through some cues in the $40-80 section and I found a nice sneaky pete that felt really nice, it was $45 so I got it. A few weeks later someone tells me its a Mucci red dot sneaky pete. hahaha what a deal!

radge69
11-29-2007, 09:05 AM
My first cue was a Schmelke, then went to a cuetech, bought a plain McDermott shortly after that and used cuetech as break cue, then bought a predator and sold the cuetech, mcdermott was the breaker. Then sold both of them and bought a Schon with a Joss sneaky for a break cue. Bought a 314, 0b-1, and now a 314-2 for the Schon, and a X-Breaker. There is my cue history.

bigskyjake
11-29-2007, 09:19 AM
My first cue was a Lucasi LD-2, I still have it. After that I bought a plethora of cues ( Joss, Schon, Hurricane, Krick, and many others ) until I finally Settled on my Madden " boomstick". My new Madden fullsplice ( straight grain forearm, black walnut butt w/ holly Hoppe ring and brass joint ) is being finished as we speak

matcase
11-29-2007, 09:31 AM
My first cue was a schmelke, 12 mm shaft, gigantic metal joint, pretty wood (walnut I think) with a notched diamond "inlay" painted on. I still have it. "Oh it's got cachet baby." - George Costanza

MikeJanis
11-29-2007, 09:42 AM
My first cue was a SuperDuper 5 piece custom adjustable weight, hand carved pool cue with a screw on tip.

The cue was given to me by an older gentleman at a local VFW hall after watching me for several weeks pull a milk crate around with me to stand on whilest play'in the game of pool on their 1 and only 8' bar table that took 1 dime to play on per game.

This pool cue led me to my 1st real pool room. Aftere the tip wore down I climbed on my ultra classic Huffy 5-speed bike and peddled to a place called Buckeye Billiards on Berea road in Cleveland, OH to try and purchase a screw on tip. My jaw dropped when the guy told me that they didn't sell tips like that and they were very rare for custom cues such as the one I had.

Irish634
11-29-2007, 09:50 AM
I think I was 10 or 11 and I saved up my weekly allowance, had my mom drive me to Sears where I promptly bought the top of the line "Sears" brand stick complete with the brass ferrule and screw on tips. I think I spent less than $20.00 then. :D

Southpaw
11-29-2007, 09:56 AM
The first cue I ever owned, I bought it in a pawn shop. I had started getting better and my friends all had their own cues so I went out to find one and didnt know anything other than K-mart cues suck so I went into a pawn shop and found one. I paid $40 for it and a case and I still have it(in my closet). It has no name on it whatsoever, but it plays great. Its a steel jointed cue with a nice wrap and the points are kinda cool. I will post pics later and see if anyone can identify it....Im serious, it has no name on it at all but hits as good as a schon, pechauer or joss.

Southpaw

Catahula
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I don?t know who the maker was of my 1st cue ($15) but the interesting thing was that the splice was in the shaft, not the butt. It was a sort of butterfly looking splice. I bought my 1st year of college (all down hill from there).
My 1st real cue was a Palmer (Model F, 2nd catalog) that I bought in New Orleans in ?73/?74. Still have that one. I started losing money to higher class of player after that purchase. :)

tigerallenyim
11-29-2007, 10:02 AM
$39 Stratford sneaky. Bought from Playworld on Merrimon Ave in Asheville NC. I believe Dana still owns the joint.:)

Edited to add: The first quality cue I owned was a nice old Meucci original. I finally won my first tourney and blew the entire wad on the Moochie. When I got involved with some quality players they made so much fun of my Moochie that I traded for a Balabushka...got laughed at by cue vendors in Vegas cause in was a Helmsetter GB (damn Color of Money movie :rolleyes: ) and then traded up for a nice Schon. Was happy until Kelly Oyama & some other pros pointed out the rounded (cnc) points and laughed...then traded up to a Bludworth and was very happy. That started a never ending journey into custom cues...Hunter, Dishaw, Cog, SW, Gilbert, Samsara, and many more. LOL...now I play with a beat up old Varney hustler...and never been happier.:D
Wow a Stratford! I had one of those. And then had donated it to someone else. (always had donated a cue after every session and of course having it serviced).
But for me started with:
Cutec>Eliminator>Cuetec>Stratford>Cuetec>Lucasi>McDermott

Yeah, seems like I've always used a Cuetec, but use them when I have donated the previous cue, and waiting to buy a new one. Now it seems I have too many cuetec's and trying to get rid of em! Cuetec's aren't bad cues, just something i don't prefer in using anymore. :)

Snapshot9
11-29-2007, 10:06 AM
was a 3 piece cue from my big brother for Xmas when I was a sophmore in High School. It had weights between the 2 butt pieces, and could adjust from 18 oz to 21 oz. I didn't know a whole lot about cues at that time, and thought it was pretty cool..... :rolleyes:

SiRacer
11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
First cue was a Players i got for 50 dollars with case. Since then ive been shooting with a Joss. Looking to get custom cue or Schon sometime in the future.

Neil
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM

ribdoner
11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Took a one piece house cue via the "L" to RAMBOW's shop on WABASH? (CHI) in 58 or 59.

He did a basic conversion with a brass piloted joint and courtland wrap.

IIRC it cost under $15 and I was one happy, wet behind the ear, stroker....

Russ Chewning
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
My first cue was a Steve Mizerak.. I can't believe no one else had one as their first. Mebbe it was only marketed to the military PX's?

Anyways, it had Steve's name on it, and played pretty darned good, for a beginner's cue. I think Mizerak had too much integrity to put his name on a bad cue.

Russ

Carl
11-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Don't know the maker, but I bought a two-piece cue from Montgomery Ward around 1969, around the time my family bout a 7-foot wood-bed Ward's pool table. Don't know what I paid, but I'm sure I got a discount, since I was working in the warehouse for $1.65 and hour. I have no idea what happened to that cue. I'm sure it's worth at least $1.65 today.

Mick56
11-29-2007, 08:25 PM
An Eckes cue I bought directly from Hubert in 1976. Still have it.

Straight Pool
11-29-2007, 08:53 PM
My first cue was Brunswick Willie Hoppe I bought for $10 from the local Brunswick Bowling Center and Family Billiards in 1962. It was rather unique as it was new but was a 40's vintage obviously made during the war years as it had a brown phenolic joint sleeve rather than brass. It was purple heart with a black leather wrap and weighed only 17oz. It was laying in the display case with bowling shoes and bags and was covered in dust. When I was leaving for the Marine Corps in the winter of 64, I resold it to one of guys that hung around the local pool hall for $10 to have some money to go on one last special date before I left for boot camp. How stupid was that? I had much better luck with that cue than I had with that date. I played some great pool with that cue. The most recent Titleist conversion I purchased cost me $2600 from a top level cue maker. I would gladly trade it for that first cue!

juggler314
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
My dad got me into playing pool when I was about 9. He had something made custom (but not terribly expensive). I have no idea who made it. I played with it for about 15 years, then the tip got a bit loose, I broke with it and the ferrule shattered! I was very sad. I still keep it around to remind me where I started out. Every once in a while I take it out and it's amazing how smooth it is, I took much better care of it than I take care of my current shafts...

cyrex
11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
My first cue was a Meucci 'Hook' cue. That thing played awesome. I bought it off a pool player in Colorado Springs named Steve Miller. He also gambled at bowling if anyone knew him. We would go play at Scott Smiths room. Oddly, I have no idea what happened to it.

9ballrob
11-29-2007, 09:36 PM
I bought my first cue in 1986. It was a Meucci, model MO-10.

phinmole
12-01-2007, 01:37 AM
My first cue cost me $50.00 used. It was a 1970's Palmer. I sure wish I didn't give it to an old girlfriend when I upgraded. Ahhh to be young and foolish again instead of old and senile.

Phin

David Beck
12-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Cheap graphite cue. Then cheap wood cue from Walmart probably. Then a Dufferin Destiny for $90. Then an Adam, and then a Schmelke. I still have all of them too.

softshot
12-01-2007, 01:57 AM
The first cue I ever owned, I bought it in a pawn shop. I had started getting better and my friends all had their own cues so I went out to find one and didnt know anything other than K-mart cues suck so I went into a pawn shop and found one. I paid $40 for it and a case and I still have it(in my closet). It has no name on it whatsoever, but it plays great. Its a steel jointed cue with a nice wrap and the points are kinda cool. I will post pics later and see if anyone can identify it....Im serious, it has no name on it at all but hits as good as a schon, pechauer or joss.

Southpaw

Pawn shops are an awesome place to find cues provided you know what to look for.

LILJOHN30
12-01-2007, 02:19 AM
My first cue the I owned was a schon cx-50 then I boughta dufferin sneaky for those off beat places where my schon never went.A sledgehammer followed soon after.Now I have a custom troy downey and I'm having a denali break cue custom made to match the troy downey cue .

Shortside K
12-02-2007, 08:07 AM
One piece snooker cue... won off friend as part of payment for his losses. Stored in poolhall under lock and key in rented cue rack.
Lost ownership when business changed hands... new owner would not acknowlege my ownership even tho it was not even remotely similar to any of his "house cues".
Never saw a "two piece" till several years later.
Smallest table around was 10 ft. snooker table... used for 8 ball.

Soon after... dinosaurs became extinct....

First time I saw a "bar-box" I was travelling in the U.S. Thought it was a "novelty table". Could not believe anyone would really play on such a thing...

sde
12-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I bought my first cue in '65 for $75, when I was making 85 cents/hour. I can't spell the name, but it sounds like "sam-pay-owe".

The butt was carved with many pearl inlays, I never liked the way it played and sold it for $35 about a year later one night when I was broke.

Now I wish I still had it.

Steve

8ballEinstein
12-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Bought my first cue from a friend for 40 bucks. Some knowlegable people said it was a Richie Florence cue. Of course, Richie wasn't making the cues himself but I believe he had a brother that cranked them out. I really liked it and don't remember what happened to it. I eventually found another one that was very nice but it got stolen.

robertno1pool
12-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Basic 4-point veneered Richard Black, Ebony butt, SS joint, 2-shaft, ivory ferrules, irish linen wrap bought in 1983. Had to really "rough it" with no money for inlays at that time. :D

Currently still have, wrapped with Python Skin by AnnieO, and you should be able to see it in my avitar. Hits great.

staygoldponyboy
12-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Huebler sneaky pete. Hit alright. Could never break with it unless I literally wanted it broken. I broke two of them breaking, my friend boke one when it comes to mind too.

Drawman623
12-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Palmer sneeky pete. No logo no collar no butt plate. A sleeper. I still regret letting it go for $50 in 1985.

First custom cue I ever laid eyes on: Dan Janes Joss 1972 with "snowman" inlays. That's what started it all.

5ballcharlie
12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
my first cue was a minnesota fats. I still got it somewere.

tjlmbklr
12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I bought a Cobra: yeah I never heard them either. Got is for like $75 at a rec room supply store like 17 years ago. The cue held up pretty good for keeping it in my trunk for years. Then eventually demoting it to a break cue. Then I sold it to a friend. then it switched hands a few more times. I always wonder where she is today. After this I bought what I thought was the cat's ass in cues; Cuetec (not anymore). This is also now a break cue that I no longer use so it is a house cue that all my amateur friends seem to love. (dumb asses...lol). Then I settled for my longest used cue to date A mid price Mcdermott. Then a few Sneaky Pete's one Duffren, one Predator. Now I have my beloved 60" Josey that I call my "mutt" cue because it no longer has the original parts (shaft, tip, joint/pin). And a Varney original J/B cue.

TJ

Str8PoolPlayer
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
My first custom was a near new Harvey Martin and it played very well (as I remember) ... My first expensive custom was a Palmer Model "M" with 2-shafts ...

Sweet Daddy
12-02-2007, 12:38 PM
My first cue was a $110.00 biagio cue. Anyone ever here of these? It was a great playing cue until some jerk leaned against it and bent the pin. Since then I have had many cues,Black Boar,Kersenbrock,schon,viking,meucci,mcdermot,play ers,predator,and many others. I now play with a Pat Diviney custom cue and I love them. I own 3 of them.

Zeek
12-02-2007, 12:43 PM
My first was a $70 Viking that I had for about a year, then moved on to a Huebler AS-2 that I still have

dukeboy1977
12-02-2007, 01:01 PM

The first cue I owned was shortly after I started playing at age 16. It was a MALI cue, model number 4 from the ad. It was green with a white/green specs wrap. I used that cue til it ended up being in sad shape, and I sold it to my buddies' uncle. I actually liked that cue, so I tried finding him to buy it back but to no avail. I've never seen the model since, but remember all the good times I had using that cue.

hangemhigh
12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
McDaniel Masterpiece

ccshrimper
12-02-2007, 02:13 PM
First was a 3-piece cue with weights at age 12, by 14 I bought an old palmer with a brass joint and screw on tip. I then went to meucci's and finally found my favorite cue of all time. I don't know who made it in schick's(sp?) shop, but it was a sleeper made for a friend of mine, Lee Boone that was 3/4" longer than a normal stick. It was a dufferin butt with a phenolic joint and 2 shafts. Had that cue for 12 years before it was stolen out of my truck. During that time I had George's, Parrots, Wheeler and now a Bludworth but nothing I liked more than the sleeper.

gedukas
12-02-2007, 02:34 PM
lucasi sneaky pete. still play with it as i am pretty new to the game(1 year playing about)

breakin8
12-02-2007, 04:06 PM
My father had a 8ft sears table in his parent garge one night he won a low end palmer. The good palmers out of the second catalog. So we always had a table. I played every day when I would come home from school I always used that cue. So being young and stupid I needed a cue of my own. My dump ass buys a fiberglass excaliber that lasted for about a week. Take a look at my avatar thats my playing cue now Perry Weston 21 points and all ivory.

klockdoc
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
My first cue wasa Brunswick MasterStroke. Leather wrap. Bought it for $25.00off a guy at the pool room. Then a Viking. Broke the shaft. Next one was a Hubler 21 oz. w/2 shafts. Bought in 1972. Still have it. Don't know what model, just liked the looks of it.

Tim5000
12-02-2007, 08:38 PM
My first was a 1970's Mali. Had it for 30 years, just recently sold it on ebay.

Poolfiend
12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
My first was a 1970's Mali. Had it for 30 years, just recently sold it on ebay.

30 Years! Must have been tough to sell.

Juda4936
12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
My first cue my father gave me, No Name just a really nice carved butt and 11mm taper
The cue was stolen out of my car when I was 21 after being in my family for 27+:mad: years

justin.powell
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
McDermott Balicini.

Cuebacca
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
My first cue was an Orchid. I don't think I've seen any other Orchids. I named it, Cuebacca, and since I never use the cue anymore, I stole it's name as my screen name here. :D It is still seeing some use as a slightly warped house cue.

I also suggested a name for my friend's first cue, Pho Cue, after the Vietnamese beef noodle soup. The name stuck.

He recently gave me a Stealth brand cue to be used as a house cue, which I have named, Pho Cue II. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't named any other cues. :o

Slickx
12-03-2007, 05:25 PM
my 1st cue was a Philippine made cue, that was 10 yrs ago... now i have the Schon stl 8 w/ 314_2. and i still have my old cue.