PDA

View Full Version : I got to see Max Eberle and Mitch Ellerman play

Fast Lenny
11-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I saw them both play at Kolbys Corner Pocket Billiards in Tempe AZ last night,they played 9 ball and 10 ball,pretty cool to watch them square off for the cash.Mitch won both sets and played well,Max didnt play to his capablities thats for sure.I am not sure if they are playing again tonight and im too lazy to get out of bed to go down and check them out but if anyone has the 411 post it,thanks. :)

Zirroe
11-29-2007, 11:17 PM
yea mitch can play, i saw him in riverside california, he was getting out from everywhere, its amazing how he 2 strokes everything.

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 12:03 AM
yea mitch can play, i saw him in riverside california, he was getting out from everywhere, its amazing how he 2 strokes everything.
Yes very fast player but fun to watch,you can see he has the killer instinct in his eyes.Im not sure how long he has been playing but the sky is the limit for this young guy.

Varney Cues
11-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Tell Max that Varney from Mother's in Charlotte say's hello. Max & I won a little cheese putting him in the box against Doug Young. A nice 4 digit score after a 12 hour ahead set.:D Max is capable of playing flawless. I believe he plays much better when its not his bankroll on the light.;)

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Tell Max that Varney from Mother's in Charlotte say's hello. Max & I won a little cheese putting him in the box against Doug Young. A nice 4 digit score after a 12 hour ahead set.:D Max is capable of playing flawless. I believe he plays much better when its not his bankroll on the light.;)
I believe it was his bankroll on the light last night too though,he said he played bad,i have to agree he made mistakes,he was hill-hill in the 10 ball and had a layout like this with ball in hand and played a poor saftey having Mitch on 2,he banked the one down table but Mitch could see the whole ball.I would have thinned the one ball putting the one in between the 2 balls and sent the cue ball down table with low left using the 3 blocking balls for cover but its always easy when your sitting down and not in the box. :cool:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ADpW3BTuS2CULU3DHIi3EAvi4FDNp2GJYR3HDeb2IDSH3JA Ld3PCBA3kCBA3kBsC3kDYJ2kYKD2kYKD2kYbH2kYbH2kYrM2ka IX2kaph2kaph2kaph@

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 12:25 AM
This would have been my safety and i think would have won the set with a 3 foul.
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ADpW3BTuS2CULU3DHIi3EAvi4FDNp2GJYR3HDeb2IDSH3JA Ld3PHYI3kHYI3kDpI4kbXW2kEct2kEkv2kFKA@

Deadon
11-30-2007, 12:37 AM
If its ball in hand, you just trickle the cue ball on the other side of 5. Leaves no open rails. But after that or your safety, there isn't likely a return safety for the 3rd foul. I think Max choice was best, just didn't execute it well.

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 12:44 AM
If its ball in hand, you just trickle the cue ball on the other side of 5. Leaves no open rails. But after that or your safety, there isn't likely a return safety for the 3rd foul. I think Max choice was best, just didn't execute it well.
It was ball in hand and Mitch was on 2,Max banked the one down table trying to leave the cue ball behind the cluster but botched it leaving the Mitch to see the whole ball.The way i would have shot it should have put the one in between the 2 balls so even if its kicked at it has to be hit real good or you might hit one of the 2 balls on either side of the 1 ball plus sending the cue ball down table provides distance and alot of balls are in the way for cover.

Rick S.
11-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Mitch was down here in Tucson tonight...talking about the ring game at Alexander's on Fri. night. I think he's ready.........

Rick S.

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Mitch was down here in Tucson tonight...talking about the ring game at Alexander's on Fri. night. I think he's ready.........

Rick S.
I think so too Rick,beating Max might have gave him a big boost.

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 01:34 AM
LOL,i just saw Max on Manswers,haha,weird. :D

midnightpulp
11-30-2007, 01:50 AM

Yeah, he plays ultra fast. I wonder if slowing down would be helpful or detrimental to his game?

In the 9 ball match against Scott Frost, there were some times where he seemed to be too impulsive.

But there are a breed of players who play at a higher level when they play fast, operating more by feel than by logic and intellectualization. We've all been there. You throw out 9 balls on the table, just to warm up, you're loose and relaxed, not really thinking, and run out effortlessly. Then you get into a game, and now you bear down and concentrate; and don't put a run together for the rest of the night.

Jimmy M.
11-30-2007, 02:10 AM
That wasn't the exact layout, but it was similar. Either way, I was also a bit surprised by his shot selection there. I didn't bother asking what he was trying to do there because I've been there before and no one wants to explain why they made a mistake after it just cost them a set. I'm sure if he would have executed what he was trying there, it would have been a good shot and there wouldn't be much to discuss. Often times, execution is the only difference between a great shot and an idiotic shot (although I did like a different shot in this situation).

It is true though; Max played poorly for Max. That isn't meant to take away from Mitch at all. I'm just stating an observation.

I believe it was his bankroll on the light last night too though,he said he played bad,i have to agree he made mistakes,he was hill-hill in the 10 ball and had a layout like this with ball in hand and played a poor saftey having Mitch on 2,he banked the one down table but Mitch could see the whole ball.I would have thinned the one ball putting the one in between the 2 balls and sent the cue ball down table with low left using the 3 blocking balls for cover but its always easy when your sitting down and not in the box. :cool:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ADpW3BTuS2CULU3DHIi3EAvi4FDNp2GJYR3HDeb2IDSH3JA Ld3PCBA3kCBA3kBsC3kDYJ2kYKD2kYKD2kYbH2kYbH2kYrM2ka IX2kaph2kaph2kaph@

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 02:19 AM
That wasn't the exact layout, but it was similar. Either way, I was also a bit surprised by his shot selection there. I didn't bother asking what he was trying to do there because I've been there before and no one wants to explain why they made a mistake after it just cost them a set. I'm sure if he would have executed what he was trying there, it would have been a good shot and there wouldn't be much to discuss. Often times, execution is the only difference between a great shot and an idiotic shot (although I did like a different shot in this situation).

It is true though; Max played poorly for Max. That isn't meant to take away from Mitch at all. I'm just stating an observation.
The layout diagrammed is a rough idea of what the layout was,i believe the 3 balls on the right side of the diagram were layed out different but the clusters were correct.I did think of asking Max why he didnt just thin the one ball but at the time it was in poor taste i felt to bring it up and rub salt in the wound.I would like to have seen Max play his game because Mitch made some mistakes that Max couldve capitalized on and didnt.With the layout shown what would you have done there if your were at the table Jimmy?

Jimmy M.
11-30-2007, 02:42 AM
The layout diagrammed is a rough idea of what the layout was,i believe the 3 balls on the right side of the diagram were layed out different but the clusters were correct.I did think of asking Max why he didnt just thin the one ball but at the time it was in poor taste i felt to bring it up and rub salt in the wound.I would like to have seen Max play his game because Mitch made some mistakes that Max couldve capitalized on and didnt.With the layout shown what would you have done there if your were at the table Jimmy?

There was actually a 4th ball down there, the 9-ball, toward that bottom rail, about a half diamond or so above it. Someone told me they were playing 3-foul rule and, at this point, Mitch was on two and Max was on the hill. I can only see Max playing the shot he did if they weren't playing 3-foul because, perhaps his logic was that he wouldn't gain much by leaving the 1 tied up where it was even if he were to get ball in hand again. Anyway, with the 9 where it was, had he just thinned the 1, essentially leaving it on the rail between those two balls, and the cue ball on, or near, the rail on the other side of the 5-ball, it would have taken any possible kick route away. At the time that Max had ball in hand, and me thinking they were playing 3-foul, I was stunned to see what he did.

At any rate, that isn't even the shot that cost him the game. If you remember, he actually got to shoot again and made a really good out all the way up until he hooked himself on the 9 with only the 9 and 10 left on the table. It certainly wasn't vintage Max Eberle. :)

COLLECTION GURU
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I saw them both play at Kolbys Corner Pocket Billiards in Tempe AZ last night,they played 9 ball and 10 ball,pretty cool to watch them square off for the cash.Mitch won both sets and played well,Max didnt play to his capablities thats for sure.I am not sure if they are playing again tonight and im too lazy to get out of bed to go down and check them out but if anyone has the 411 post it,thanks. :)

PLEASE ADVISE IF ANY ACTION TODAY-FRIDAY

Rick S.
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Action today will be at Alexander's.

Ring game set up for tonight. Rodney Morris, and 4 local players. (still looking for the 5th, I heard last night.) Mitch, Dennis O. and I can't remember the other one.

Rick S.

bigskyjake
11-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Action today will be at Alexander's.

Ring game set up for tonight. Rodney Morris, and 4 local players. (still looking for the 5th, I heard last night.) Mitch, Dennis O. and I can't remember the other one.

Rick S.

No Scotty Frost in there ?

Rick S.
11-30-2007, 09:08 AM
No, he's out of town. Otherwise, he'd be there.

Rick S.

BVal
11-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes very fast player but fun to watch,you can see he has the killer instinct in his eyes.Im not sure how long he has been playing but the sky is the limit for this young guy.
He has been playing since he was 6. He is 21 now.
I know where I will be watching pool tonight - that's for sure.

BVal

BVal
11-30-2007, 10:05 AM
What time does the action start at Alexander's? Anyone know?

BVal

Prince
11-30-2007, 12:10 PM
The ring game is actually next friday night. It will be the evening before the final Olhausen stop. Unless things have changed, I have been told the players slated are Mitch, Rodney Morris, Scott Frost, possibly Tony Crosby, and myself. I believe they are just waiting to get a confirmation back from a couple of players. It should be posted sometime this week.

Dennis O.

BVal
11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
The ring game is actually next friday night. It will be the evening before the final Olhausen stop. Unless things have changed, I have been told the players slated are Mitch, Rodney Morris, Scott Frost, possibly Tony Crosby, and myself. I believe they are just waiting to get a confirmation back from a couple of players. It should be posted sometime this week.

Dennis O.
Cool - Thanks Dennis. I will be there to watch for sure. I am also playing in the All-Around. See you there.

BVal

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Cool - Thanks Dennis. I will be there to watch for sure. I am also playing in the All-Around. See you there.

BVal
Hey Brady,if you go then perhaps we can finally meet up. :)

Jimmy M.
11-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Dennis O.

I probably wouldn't have played anyway because, since the baby was born (actually, since a month before that), I just haven't played any pool at all, really. Well, aside from the 5 days that I played a total of 4 matches at the Qlympics, if you want to count that. However, I find it interesting that the champion of the last "big" 10-ball ring game in Arizona didn't even warrant an invite.

Like I said, I probably wouldn't have played anyway, but it would have been nice to at least have been asked to give me the option to decide if I want to start hitting balls again and play in the ring game. It's a cheap entry fee, so that really wouldn't have been a deciding factor for me. I just wouldn't have wanted to play, having not been playing at all, and play like a total schmuck in there.

Fast Lenny
11-30-2007, 01:23 PM
There was actually a 4th ball down there, the 9-ball, toward that bottom rail, about a half diamond or so above it. Someone told me they were playing 3-foul rule and, at this point, Mitch was on two and Max was on the hill. I can only see Max playing the shot he did if they weren't playing 3-foul because, perhaps his logic was that he wouldn't gain much by leaving the 1 tied up where it was even if he were to get ball in hand again. Anyway, with the 9 where it was, had he just thinned the 1, essentially leaving it on the rail between those two balls, and the cue ball on, or near, the rail on the other side of the 5-ball, it would have taken any possible kick route away. At the time that Max had ball in hand, and me thinking they were playing 3-foul, I was stunned to see what he did.

At any rate, that isn't even the shot that cost him the game. If you remember, he actually got to shoot again and made a really good out all the way up until he hooked himself on the 9 with only the 9 and 10 left on the table. It certainly wasn't vintage Max Eberle. :)
Your correct,he did botch things twice,i remember me saying to him bad roll after he hooked himself and he said it was poor play with such a huge position zone,thems the breaks.

BVal
11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Hey Brady,if you go then perhaps we can finally meet up. :)
I'll be there for sure.

desert1pocket
11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I probably wouldn't have played anyway because, since the baby was born (actually, since a month before that), I just haven't played any pool at all, really. Well, aside from the 5 days that I played a total of 4 matches at the Qlympics, if you want to count that. However, I find it interesting that the champion of the last "big" 10-ball ring game in Arizona didn't even warrant an invite.

Like I said, I probably wouldn't have played anyway, but it would have been nice to at least have been asked to give me the option to decide if I want to start hitting balls again and play in the ring game. It's a cheap entry fee, so that really wouldn't have been a deciding factor for me. I just wouldn't have wanted to play, having not been playing at all, and play like a total schmuck in there.

I would take it as a compliment............. they think you play to good (you did win last time afterall)

Jimmy M.
11-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I would take it as a compliment............. they think you play to good (you did win last time afterall)

Considering Rodney being in the field, I'm fairly certain no one thinks that.

Truth is, I haven't played well in quite some time and I'm lucky if anyone remembers my name these days ... and that's in my own house! Never mind the pool room. :D

Prince
11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
First of all, you have too much natural talent to play like a schmuck, I've witnessed it with my own eyes. Everyone knows you have been busy lately and unable to play pool, so i'm sure that is the reason. I'm all for making it a 6 man game, rack 'em.