PDA

View Full Version : Who here has and plays with a custom cue.

MasterClass
11-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Custom cue I mean as in design and specified by you to the cue maker and built to that specs for you not one that you buy second hand from someone around here or ebay.

The question is, did it eventually turn out as you expected? less or more.

If it were not too much trouble could you describe the balance point of your cue and where is your grip? near the front, middle or back near the butt sleeve.

commswatch
11-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I had a custom cue made by Alex Brick in 98..couldnt have been happier with it at the time, and love it even more today, as it's still my main cue.

JohnPT
11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
are you trying to get ideas for a cue you want made?

macaframa
11-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Had my first custom designed cue by rich benson back in 2002. A year after I began playing pool. When I did this I did not really have a feel of what I liked as I do today. The cue was very nice purple hear points, ivory and nickel inlays and 2 shafts. As I continued to experiment with numerous cue I found what I like and my first custom Benson was not it. I wish I would have waited a year more of playing pool and then having my first custom made by Benson I might have been more pleased with my cue.

Big-Tattoo
11-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi have a Samsara high end was build for me and it plays great,also My new Viattorre Amboyna Monster and my high end Arthur Cue.
Ralf

Hail Mary Shot
11-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Custom cue I mean as in design and specified by you to the cue maker and built to that specs for you not one that you buy second hand from someone around here or ebay.

If it were not too much trouble could you describe the balance point of your cue and where is your grip? near the front, middle or back near the butt sleeve.

Yes, it turned out fine. the weight is the most important for me coz I don't need to readjust my grip placement and my stroke is not affected. I usually use a 19 oz stick where my grip is the area just between the wrap and forearm for balance. a heavier cue around 21 oz would make me readjust the grip around the wrap area for balance. I prefer the 19 coz my shots are more accurate due to the grip placement near the forearm. here is my evaluation, butt grip, more power and less accuracy. forearm grip, more accuracy and less power. pros and cons. ;)

my reasons, the farther my grip is from the forearm, the higher the tendency I wobble the cue and might cause putting unneccesary spin on the ball. refer to topic on the short and long stroke. makes more sense, IMO. :)

cuejoey
11-30-2007, 03:09 AM
I purchased one from Chris Hightower of www.hightowercues.com he is a good regular pool player himself who can help a person in creating their own special cue..mine i wouldn't trade it's perfect for me.........:)

rayjay
11-30-2007, 06:40 AM
My avitar is my most recent, made by John Davis. It has beautiful balance around 19" from the end of the butt. My grip location changes with shots, but usually in the lower half to third of the wrap. John did everything I asked of him, but it came out prettier than I expected!
:p

randyg
11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
I own two JERICO's from Jerry Powers. Custom made for my game. Wouldn't sell/trade for nothing....randyg

MOJOE
11-30-2007, 07:12 AM
See my avatar. Definitely my favorite custom ever. Jack's work with a little input from me. He is one great fella to work with.

JBK

Cuaba
11-30-2007, 07:22 AM
I've had 3 Southwests made to my designs & specs over the years. They all play great.

axejunkie
11-30-2007, 07:25 AM
I have a custom cue designed by me and it came out pretty much as expected and I'm satisfied. It is about .25 oz. lighter than I had asked but that's not a biggie. My cue was a plain design (bacote forearm and sleeve) so it would've been difficult to not get the design close.

Balance point is about 20 in. from the butt. On most shots, my bridge is about 8 in. from the cueball so with my arm length and 58 in. cue my grip hand is about 3-4 in. from the bottom of the wrap.

bigskyjake
11-30-2007, 09:24 AM
I shoot with a Madden that I designed and Jack built

the balance point is around 20 1/2 inches and i almost always grip on the buttsleeve

8-ball Rat
11-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I have a custom cue designed by me and it came out pretty much as expected and I'm satisfied. It is about .25 oz. lighter than I had asked but that's not a biggie. My cue was a plain design (bacote forearm and sleeve) so it would've been difficult to not get the design close.

Balance point is about 20 in. from the butt. On most shots, my bridge is about 8 in. from the cueball so with my arm length and 58 in. cue my grip hand is about 3-4 in. from the bottom of the wrap.
Is that the one you showed off to me when we met up at Fast Eddie's (the day I took the Schon STL-2 off of ya)??? The one I'm thinking of was one hell of a nice cue!!

Peer
11-30-2007, 09:33 AM
My main cue is a custom Longoni. I also have a custom John Parris on its way. And then, of course, I have that ratty vintage Brunswick that Ryan Theewen (ratcues) modified so it'll take uni-loc shafts -- that's kind of custom too, right? ;^)

-- peer

Zirroe
11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
This is a good topic because I own many custom cues but not one of them was one made specifically for me. I ordered an Ariel Carmeli a while ago that I should recieve in a week or two. I am actually going to order another cue from him when this one is done. I am a small guy and I like to have a slimmer handle, and I like to have a stiff cue. It did take me a while to actually figure out exactly what I wanted. I think playing with as many cues as possible will help you get the feel of exactly what you will want.

axejunkie
11-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Is that the one you showed off to me when we met up at Fast Eddie's (the day I took the Schon STL-2 off of ya)??? The one I'm thinking of was one hell of a nice cue!!
Hey Mark, yes it is, plain jane Jensen. And no it's not for sale! (I had to throw this in since you asked about it) :)

MasterClass
11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
The balance point of my cue is about 3 inches above the wrap. It was built as per my request to my cue maker.

What i realise is that i am holding the cue very up front. Imagine that the cue has segmented handle i would be holding at the first segment. It is at this point that i feel the balance of the cue to be most natural to me. But the consequence is that i would develop the habit of dropping my elbow more and starting my stroke with my cue arm ahead instead of being perpendicular to the ground.

Would a more forward weighted cue or backward weighted cue shift the balance so that i would feel comfortable when i hold the cue in the middle segment of the wrap? I have played with a tasc, mottey and schrager that allows me to do that. Somehow those cues has got a wonderful balance. I am not really able to figure out the science behind it so i will just try trial and error and take notes.

Thanks for all the contribution. Please do share more experiences.

Straw_Hat
11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I play with a custom cue I had made by david jacoby. It keeps a basic design from his hustler series, but had my fiancee's birthstone put at the top of the points and used ivory (to represent my birthstone of opal) on the bottom. Had it made 15.5 oz, and almost the same taper down the butt of the cue, I prefer a thin butt and and kept it to this spec. The shaft has a 11.5mm taper and is a dab over 1 inch longer then average. It's not an expensive cue, but I love it and what it symbols.. It also feels perfect to me and I'm complety comfortable with it so that's all that matters to me..

hilla_hilla
11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally, I had a custom made sneaky pete Dave Whitsell that I LOVED! It was 60inches long and 21ounces. It was stolen from my car a little over a year ago:( . I was heart broken when it was stolen. The owner of the pool hall and I watched tape after tape to make sure I actually left with the cue and that I didn't accidentally leave it there and it wasn't picked up by anyone else. To my dismay, I did leave with it:( .

I ended up buying a Preditor and hated it. I didn't like the way it hit because it was to stiff for me. In the end, I ended up purchasing another Dave Whitsell cue that I also love. It's a little fancier than my original cue but it works.

I'm weird, I love sneaky pete's and find simplicity to be best.

poolhall maven
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
I took a box of peridot gemstones to my cue maker in the summer of 06, plopped them on his table and said "make me a cue with these". I was able to draw a picture and explain what I wanted and my cue maker tweaked my design by making it better. I picked the burl from rectangle blocks of wood as well as the white holly for the points. I also requested a narrower butt since my hands are small. The shaft is longer than the norm, because my cuemaker has made me several shafts over the years and that is what I am used to.
The weight is 19.1oz and I had no request about the balance since my cuemaker knows where to put it. I received my cue in Feb 07 and I am very happy with it...my cue maker is Pete Ohman of Omen Cues.

Pushout
11-30-2007, 02:10 PM
After thinking about it, I've only owned two customs which I bought second hand and were not built for me, at my specs. I've only specified weight, length, size of tip, size of the the butt. Not balance point, I've never had a problem with any of the cues being the way I wanted them, referring to the before mentioned points. I know other people who have been much more specific, but I personally haven't.

Actionhound
11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
ive got a matching set of custom cues, a player, and a jump break made by Rick Howard... Gorgeous cues.

spktur
11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Bill Mcdaniel did mine from some sketches i drew. Been completely satisfied. Known Bill a long time.

CrownCityCorey
11-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Right here ala Ariel Carmeli:

As far as the balance thing, I dunno. I ordered the cue from him cause all of his cues felt perfect in my hands. Overall, I am satisfied.

TheBook
11-30-2007, 05:22 PM
I have had cues made by Ernie (Gina), Layani, Perry Weston, and Mike Johnson (Jensen). All have turned out the way that I expected. Every cuemaker was really a pleasure to deal with.

mooseman
11-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I have a Hunter Classic that Wes built for me (Ebony and Ivory). See my avatar. It was the design I gave him and he tweaked as needed.

I finally picked up a Sugartree that I play with now. This was one of Eric's personal players.

The only reason I stopped using the hunter regularly was because of playing in bars during league. I would hate for that to go walkabout. Heck I hate for any cues to go walkabout.

Jimmy M.
11-30-2007, 05:56 PM
By some ridiculous stroke of luck, I STILL have, and I do play with, a custom cue. :)

cueandcushion
11-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Only one specifically made for me. The Jacoby shown below. If I can remember how to post pics again on here. http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/hudd357mag/favefivesmall.jpg

Should be the top cue if I did it right.

Jacoby cue of Ivory, Ebony, Amboyna.

pooligan
11-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Designed a cue over the phone with Richard Black back in 1993 and still shoot with it. Lightest color birdseye maple I could get with 4 floating ebony points (Black didn't make many of those and I wanted mine to be unique) - photos in the cue gallery. He filled in the bottom for me with 4 ebony razor blade windows, only part that was his idea and not mine. 2 shafts, 1 pool and 1 snooker.

It's still one of the most solid hitting cues I've ever had, and in the interim I've owned over a dozen different sticks (mostly older McDermotts when I was collecting, but had a Libra, Hagan, Joss West, Pechauer, and a Schon to compare it to).

My only complaint is that, for some reason, the butt is about 1/2 - 1 inch shorter than standard. Not sure why this happened, but in the future when I get the $$$ I'll probably get a Predator or OB1, extra long shaft, to put on it.

Ktown D
11-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I designed and play with this conversion done by Andy. It is 59 inches long and weighs in at 18.8

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/jda76/GilbertTitlist009.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/jda76/GilbertTitlist011.jpg

wizardnblue
11-30-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a Wayne Holmes and a Tascarella that I had made for myself. Right now I'm playing with a plain cocobola Chad Carter. I have six cues and they balance right at 18 1/2 to 19 inches, except the arter which is closer to 18.

cyrex
11-30-2007, 09:12 PM
This was custom made for me by Carolina Custom Cues. You can read the 'story' behind the cue here:

My Chaos cue (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=906163#post906163)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x197/sku1k/cforearm.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x197/sku1k/cbutt1.jpg