PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with poor performance

ledrums
11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi Louis. When you play below your level, how do you deal with it? Do you get down on yourself or do you let it go as soon as possible? Some people have told me not to take pool so seriously, but I find it's hard to do that if you want to be a better player. I believe it HAS to pain you when you play bad, because where would your motivation be to get better if you didn't care? Anyways I'm interested to hear your views on the mental aspect of playing pool. Also, thank you for being accessible and polite to people like me who ask you questions. I appreciate it.

Louis Ulrich
11-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Louis. When you play below your level, how do you deal with it? Do you get down on yourself or do you let it go as soon as possible? Some people have told me not to take pool so seriously, but I find it's hard to do that if you want to be a better player. I believe it HAS to pain you when you play bad, because where would your motivation be to get better if you didn't care? Anyways I'm interested to hear your views on the mental aspect of playing pool. Also, thank you for being accessible and polite to people like me who ask you questions. I appreciate it.

You must have watched my last match! :rolleyes:

This is pretty good timing because I just got through losing to Dennis Hatch 8-3 and I played so bad that it looked like I've never played before. How I feel right now is absolutely terrible. The voices in my head are telling me what an idiot I am and how I should be shot in the face and all that good stuff.

The reality of it is that no matter who you are or how good you can play, there are going to be those sets where you just don't perform. I don't believe that there is anything you can do about it but what you can do is try and learn from it. After I cool off I will replay the match in my head and try to identify what it was that caused my to play the way I did.

One thing you can control though is whether or not you take it to the next match. There's no point in carrying it around with you and have it cost you the next match as well.

The mental aspect of pool is probably the most difficult to master. I think the most important thing you can do keep from going on tilt is just let errors go when you're in a match. Beating yourself up or complaining or anything negative will only make things worse. Learn to control your emotions and keep your composure and you will be on your way to having fewer bad matches.

As far as taking pool seriously, if you want to be a better player and improve your game I think you have to take it seriously. If you become satisfied with your abilities and just accept that you are only going to play so good and that's it, then you probably won't get better. I am never satisfied with my game, no matter how good I'm playing. That may be my nature but I strongly believe that if you're not trying to get better, you're probably getting worse, whether you realize it or not.

I hope that helps to shed a little light on the subject. Keep playing hard, avoid the negativity of others and always try to bring your best game. With time and experience you'll see the results.

Take care ledrums and thanks for the post!

ledrums
12-01-2007, 01:49 AM
No, thank YOU Louis. What an honest response to my question. I think my biggest problem is that I do carry it through to the next shot/game etc. However, I do not want to shoot myself in the face!lol. It just burns me to play like crap at times. It's nice (misery loves company) to know even pro's deal with it. I guess I get frustrated at times because I feel like I'm on the cusp reaching a whole new level, but my inner thoughts are preventing me from getting there. Thanks again Louis

LanceRichardson
12-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Nice work recovering from your loss to Hatch to finish fourth in the Mizerak tournament. It's great to see things coming together for you, and I suspect that some of the high finishes will soon become tournament championships.

Say hello to Connie, and keep running out every chance you get...

CHRIM
12-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey Lance! Yeah, Louis' doing very well!

From the first time I ever watched him play, I respected his composure on and off the table - and I've seen him deal with some of the biggest JERKS and still, not a single rude comment from him. Sarcasm, maybe :) - but never rude. On that note, only does he always keep his composure during the match, but he also doesn't take it with him afterwards (meaning he doesn't come home and kick the dogs).

I know my opinion is a bit subjective but he really is a great guy!