PDA

View Full Version : Rocky McElroy

JoeyA
11-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Is this the Rocky, the guy who owns Capones in Florida?

He beat Rodney Guy, a name I haven't heard in YEARS. The last time I saw Rodney was in Jackson, MS . We used to call him WIDE TRACK. He was a very stout fellow who played a mean game of nine ball but I think liked to gamble more than play in tournaments. The Florida Men's pro tour sith $25,000.00 added has them all coming out of the woodworks.

Tony Crosby just beat Charlie Williams. but you can see all of the wins and losses on the main page/brackets...

Let me know if that is Rocky. I didn't thinnk Rocky could whip up on Rodney Guy from what I remember about WIDE TRACK but who knows Rocky may be hitting them pretty sporty.

JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
That's him....
Doug

frankncali
12-01-2007, 02:13 AM
I havent heard Rodney's name in years.

Last time I saw him must have been 12 years ago or a little more. We hung out in Mobile with Ming Ng for several days. We had a lot of fun.
This was before and after my buddy beat him out of some jellybeans.

JAM
12-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Man, you guys know everybody! :D :D :D

Looks like a GREAT tournament in Florida this weekend! :)

JAM

SharpPT
12-01-2007, 06:32 AM
The tables are a big equalizer in this tourny. Shimmed Diamonds with very,very fast Simonis. Rodney hasn't played in these conditions for many years. With races to 7 lots of upsets. I beat a guy I that has always torched me--like 10-0 , 10-1 in the Hollywood tournament (Monster John Roush).
Now I'm one spot from the money :eek:

AZE
12-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Just got back from Hollywood, I was hitting some balls with Rodney. He really hasn't been playing these past years -- but still has a TON of gamble and heart.

I'm hearing the same things SharpPT is saying - a lot of upsets because of the equipment, or just lack of practice from our local players. It's brutal, we have tons of money and any time a road player comes down there is action all over and the people from out of town make a killing -- our local guys hardly ever match up with each other and they are all always cold - I guess the only solution is try to get more road action in... hopefully that happens after this tournament ends.

Bruce glad to see you doing good, I heard about your match up with John. Nice, you must've been hitting them good. As a matter of fact, you're hitting them pretty good a lot lately aren't you? This is your second consecutive cashing in the Florida Tour, that's big -- how the hell are you an 8?! lol

Pushout
12-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I knew Rocky before he moved to Florida. He must be getting a bit long in the tooth, if it's the same guy I knew. He used to play pretty good at times, though.

David Beck
12-01-2007, 07:39 AM
I live in Largo. Wish I could make it out there.

jamesroberts
12-03-2007, 06:58 PM
The tables are a big equalizer in this tourny. Shimmed Diamonds with very,very fast Simonis. Rodney hasn't played in these conditions for many years. With races to 7 lots of upsets. I beat a guy I that has always torched me--like 10-0 , 10-1 in the Hollywood tournament (Monster John Roush).

i think the tables played really well ,not to tight but you had to hit it pretty good to make it

JoeyA
12-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Shimmed??????
I thought most of the Diamond tables came from the factory with either longer rails or shorter rails and that most do not have shims.
JoeyA

uwate
12-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Im still trying to get the tire tracks off my back where James Roberts ran me over 7-0. I actually played worse losing to Troy Frank 7-5 than during that asskicking James gave me.

JoeyA
12-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Im still trying to get the tire tracks off my back where James Roberts ran me over 7-0. I actually played worse losing to Troy Frank 7-5 than during that asskicking James gave me.

Aieeeeeh!

Nothing like Pin the Tail. It looks like Rodney Guy may have given up his moniker to James "WIDE TRACK" Roberts. David, it doesn't sound like you did much playing in the match with James.

JoeyA (starting to think that he needs to stay clear of any of the Florida boys, playing ANYTHING)

jamesroberts
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Aieeeeeh!

Nothing like Pin the Tail. It looks like Rodney Guy may have given up his moniker to James "WIDE TRACK" Roberts. David, it doesn't sound like you did much playing in the match with James.

JoeyA (starting to think that he needs to stay clear of any of the Florida boys, playing ANYTHING)

i prefer james "mr lucky" roberts lol

Fuji-whopper
12-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I played Rodney Guy on the loser's side, nice guy but he was fed up about the tables and was ready to head for the bar. Big guy, I didn't want to make him mad that's for sure.

James is a damn funny guy, he was extremely drunk and had us in tears telling jokes before he went to go play poker at 2am. Did you win James?

JoeyA
12-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I played Rodney Guy on the loser's side, nice guy but he was fed up about the tables and was ready to head for the bar. Big guy, I didn't want to make him mad that's for sure.

James is a damn funny guy, he was extremely drunk and had us in tears telling jokes before he went to go play poker at 2am. Did you win James?

Mr. Lucky plays good pool, poker and tells good jokes? Whataguy!

James, are you going to DCC? I need to hear some good jokes when I take it on the chin like Uwate. :D

Thanks for the info Snif.
JoeyA

uwate
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Aieeeeeh!

My match with James went mostly like this
1st game I dog it he runs out
2nd game i left him safe near froze up to a ball. he kicks 2 rails, makes a ball and runs out
3rd game he breaks and runs to a safety. i miss the kick. BIH he runs out
4th game he breaks and runs out
5th game he breaks and leaves me long and tough. i go for the bank, miss he runs out
6th game he break, runs to a safety, i make a hit, leave him a shot and he runs out
7th game breaks and makes a ball, we exchange a shot at low ball with misses and then he safes me, i make the hit and he runs out.

i may have a few games off by a shot or two but essentially thats how it went. James played great, i only had chances at the beginning.

btw the match before mine, James is losing to Ronnie Wiseman 6-4. Wiseman shoots the 9 and scratches. at 6-5 James breaks and runs out, then at 6-6 James breaks, makes a clutch bank and has a great chance to get out and lets Ronnie off the hook. He totally outplayed Wiseman that set and should have won it. Then I'd probably be bellyaching about Wiseman sticking it to me in the losers bracket.

uwate
12-04-2007, 12:53 PM

People on the board don't know Rodney but heres a description. I probably wouldnt be good at that circus job of guessing peoples age and weight, but i would say Rodney is 5-10, 300lbs? Is that about right AZE? His head goes straight down and he looks like he be one of those guys that could pull a 18 wheeler with rope around his waist. People who have worked with him talk about him walking up ladders holding 200+lbs of roofing stuff on his shoulder like its easy.

Rodney told me this story once. He was in a spot on the road betting fairly high. So Rodney wins , his opponent starts mouthing off and then the backer of the guy he was playing starts saying that Rodney isnt gonna get paid. Old school guys call this tush hogging I think. Lots of guys in the room, none of them friends of Rodney and the room is turning ugly. So Rodney says, Oh Im getting paid alright...or all of us are gonna have a fight, right now. As he says that he grabs the guy he is playing and says that when the fighting starts, I plan to start with YOU and I'm gonna gouge your eye out. At this point Rodney is basically standing there holding the other guy by the scruff of his neck ready to throw down.

Rodney got paid very quickly at that point.

JoeyA
12-04-2007, 01:56 PM
People on the board don't know Rodney but heres a description. I probably wouldnt be good at that circus job of guessing peoples age and weight, but i would say Rodney is 5-10, 300lbs? Is that about right AZE? His head goes straight down and he looks like he be one of those guys that could pull a 18 wheeler with rope around his waist. People who have worked with him talk about him walking up ladders holding 200+lbs of roofing stuff on his shoulder like its easy.

Rodney told me this story once. He was in a spot on the road betting fairly high. So Rodney wins , his opponent starts mouthing off and then the backer of the guy he was playing starts saying that Rodney isnt gonna get paid. Old school guys call this tush hogging I think. Lots of guys in the room, none of them friends of Rodney and the room is turning ugly. So Rodney says, Oh Im getting paid alright...or all of us are gonna have a fight, right now. As he says that he grabs the guy he is playing and says that when the fighting starts, I plan to start with YOU and I'm gonna gouge your eye out. At this point Rodney is basically standing there holding the other guy by the scruff of his neck ready to throw down.

Rodney got paid very quickly at that point.

I never knew why I like Rodney. Now, I know why. :)

Rodney didn't look fat. He was always just WIDE, hence the name WIDE-TRACK, not Fatboy. :D
JoeyA
JoeyA

jamesroberts
12-04-2007, 02:23 PM

ok ok i was drunk but i was havin a great time chirping at everyone and hittin on all the pretty ladies at the hardrock.......i really dont know how this event didnt get like 200 entries.....sure there were 2 very minor bugs that im sure will be corrected for next year but otherwise i enjoyed this event as much as the turning stone event or any of the other classy events .................i lost 200 playin poker . i went all in with ace 8 and got four callers for like 140.....and ak took it down.........even though i was wasted i figured it was time to get up and leave

kevin s
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
ok ok i was drunk but i was havin a great time chirping at everyone and hittin on all the pretty ladies at the hardrock.......i really dont know how this event didnt get like 200 entries.....sure there were 2 very minor bugs that im sure will be corrected for next year but otherwise i enjoyed this event as much as the turning stone event or any of the other classy events .................i lost 200 playin poker . i went all in with ace 8 and got four callers for like 140.....and ak took it down.........even though i was wasted i figured it was time to get up and leave
Man I wish I could have been there!!

jamesroberts
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
My match with James went mostly like this
1st game I dog it he runs out
2nd game i left him safe near froze up to a ball. he kicks 2 rails, makes a ball and runs out
3rd game he breaks and runs to a safety. i miss the kick. BIH he runs out
4th game he breaks and runs out
5th game he breaks and leaves me long and tough. i go for the bank, miss he runs out
6th game he break, runs to a safety, i make a hit, leave him a shot and he runs out
7th game breaks and makes a ball, we exchange a shot at low ball with misses and then he safes me, i make the hit and he runs out.

i may have a few games off by a shot or two but essentially thats how it went. James played great, i only had chances at the beginning.

btw the match before mine, James is losing to Ronnie Wiseman 6-4. Wiseman shoots the 9 and scratches. at 6-5 James breaks and runs out, then at 6-6 James breaks, makes a clutch bank and has a great chance to get out and lets Ronnie off the hook. He totally outplayed Wiseman that set and should have won it. Then I'd probably be bellyaching about Wiseman sticking it to me in the losers bracket.

thanks for the compliments Dave. this was the best ive played maybe ever.......to your credit though i knew i had a really tough match on my hands and i had to bear down or i was gonna get beat

jamesroberts
12-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Man I wish I could have been there!!

yup we def missed you there........maybe next year .........u goin to dcc?

kevin s
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
yup we def missed you there........maybe next year .........u goin to dcc?
Yep! Done got my room booked. Rich isn't sure but you should definitely come up and bring TrevDog with you!!

jamesroberts
12-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Yep! Done got my room booked. Rich isn't sure but you should definitely come up and bring TrevDog with you!!

im gonna try to make it to dcc