PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive playing cue?????

Maniac
12-01-2007, 09:38 AM
With all the high-priced cues being touted and discussed on this forum, I was just wondering how expensive your "regular" playing cue is. I mean, I'm looking to see if anyone would like to share with the group how much you've got invested into your cue setup as your main shooting cue. I'm basically looking for cues with OVER $1,000 in them as it is quite common for people to have regular playing cues in the $500 to $1,000 range. Anyone like to share???

Maniac

Get_A_Grip
12-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Regular in Poolhall = $2400 Ginacue
Regular in Bar League = ~$300 Sneaky Pete

I don't like taking my most expensive cues to the bar -- so I have multiple sticks for each "discipline".

Solartje
12-01-2007, 09:44 AM
at home: 500$ bob frey sp
at leagues: 25$ J&J

RRfireblade
12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
In league night ? About a $1200 semi custom.

In a secure location , would be one of 2 cues between $3500 and about $4500 street value.

At home , could be anything up to what ever I have. No trailer queens here but I do try and keep the wrappers on. :)

SPINDOKTOR
12-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I dont play in the bars much anymore, when I do I use a cheap lucasi with a pressed elk master..

My expensive playing cue is a Mezz TA-4 whitch I dont use, I use a Ray Schuler at the moment, and soon I will be using a Albrecht. it ships monday..

SPINDOKTOR

Jeffrey Gale
12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Playing cue is my Ebony & Ivory Diveney $6,500, I shoot with this cue all the time, my backup cue is a Schick, around the same price.

pulzcul
12-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Sheldon Lebow with 3 shafts-Predator S/P to break-and a Muecci Rempe as an extra.With my case its all worth about 2500$ If I see too many drunks around it stays in the rig and I'll use the S/P.But most the time it goes with me. Don:cool:

breakin8
12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
My player is my aztar it is a Perry Weston custom anything white is ivory and 21 points in all. I just turned down 3900.00 and i play with it every day. I have many customs just got a Barry camron ebony for pointer with four veeners hoppe style but plate and ivory voint and ring.

SPINDOKTOR
12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Playing cue is my Ebony & Ivory Diveney $6,500, I shoot with this cue all the time, my backup cue is a Schick, around the same price.

:eek: :( you are one lucky, ever heard that song, some beeeeeeech?

I just was looking at your collection, all I can say is: :p

:D

SPINDOKTOR

dukeboy1977
12-01-2007, 10:58 AM
My "playiing cue", I have about $1000 into it, but my cues I play with in the bar ( my twin purpleheart sneakies), I have about $600 tied up in them. pics are below

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s134/dukeboy1977/mynewDZcuewallpaper.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s134/dukeboy1977/PHsneakies.jpg

And yes, they're all made by the same guy...Bob DZ from DZcues

Ralph Kramden
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a $200 cue. Thought I needed a more expensive cue so I taped the wifes engagment ring to it... Worth $1800 now but it still plays the same.

Cuaba
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
My playing cue is a Southwest with scrimshawed ivory points, inlays, and fancy joint protectors, worth about $10K. I take it whenever I travel. In the last couple years it has been with me in Japan, China, Thailand, Singapore, Hawaii, Vegas, NYC, and places I can't remember. It is also my league cue when I play in the midwest and in Bangkok. Airlines have lost it twice recently, and I got it back both times.

I only carry this one cue, and I use it to break, play, & jump.

cuejoey
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
My regular is a custom cue by www.hightowercues.com valued approx.$4,000 has python snake wrap,and tons of ivory,abalone and sterling silver with a titanium joint...also a Willie Mosconi limited commemerative (pre production) by Adam.about $750.00..:)

Bastian
12-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Some more replies to this question are at:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=61095

Drawman623
12-01-2007, 12:11 PM
I drive a truck worth about $950 but I play with a $5000 cue. Some cuemakers make works of art that appreciate as investments. I won't own a cue I cannot play with, and I don't worry about the impact my use of a cue will have on its final value.

I have a Mottey, Black, Gilbert, Cantando, Schick and Bob Meucci. Each is pricy and my skill level isn't worthy of any cue in that group. I love the work, the sound feel and appearance of my high end cues. They are the only luxuries I have and I work as hard as I must to keep them.

Several cuemakers are heroes to me and I know of few things that inspire me like their work does. The expense may seem crazy to most, but to a select few, the only thing crazy is spending money on anything else.

My truck gets me to the factory where I earn every day but my cue is the reward I get for earning. It isn't about showing off, it is about my own private feelings for me alone. When a guy sees my $5000 Mottey cue and asks if it is a Mcdermott or a Viking, I tell him Mcdermott and Viking both make great cues. Then I go about my business.

Ebony Ivory Schick $4900
Ivory butt sleeved Gilbert $4800
Amboyna Mottey $4800
Ebony Ivory Cantando $6500
Richard Black Rosewood Ivory $6200
Bob Meucci Ivory Crown Jewel $2800

Value of feeling passionate about a cuemaker's art, and savoring each hour spent in the pool room: priceless.

DukeofDBQ
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I drive a truck worth about $950 but I play with a $5000 cue. Some cuemakers make works of art that appreciate as investments. I won't own a cue I cannot play with, and I don't worry about the impact my use of a cue will have on its final value.

I have a Mottey, Black, Gilbert, Cantando, Schick and Bob Meucci. Each is pricy and my skill level isn't worthy of any cue in that group. I love the work, the sound feel and appearance of my high end cues. They are the only luxuries I have and I work as hard as I must to keep them.

Several cuemakers are heroes to me and I know of few things that inspire me like their work does. The expense may seem crazy to most, but to a select few, the only thing crazy is spending money on anything else.

My truck gets me to the factory where I earn every day but my cue is the reward I get for earning. It isn't about showing off, it is about my own private feelings for me alone. When a guy sees my $5000 Mottey cue and asks if it is a Mcdermott or a Viking, I tell him Mcdermott and Viking both make great cues. Then I go about my business.

Ebony Ivory Schick $4900
Ivory butt sleeved Gilbert $4800
Amboyna Mottey $4800
Ebony Ivory Cantando $6500
Richard Black Rosewood Ivory $6200
Bob Meucci Ivory Crown Jewel $2800

Value of feeling passionate about a cuemaker's art, and savoring each hour spent in the pool room: priceless.

Hear, Hear!!! I don't play to the level of my collection either and it isn't nearly as fine as yours. BUT - my sentiments about collecting fine artwork, in the form of cues, is exactly the same as yours.

Bigjohn
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
With all the high-priced cues being touted and discussed on this forum, I was just wondering how expensive your "regular" playing cue is. I mean, I'm looking to see if anyone would like to share with the group how much you've got invested into your cue setup as your main shooting cue. I'm basically looking for cues with OVER $1,000 in them as it is quite common for people to have regular playing cues in the $500 to $1,000 range. Anyone like to share???

Maniac

Earl Strickland plays with a $200 Gulyassy plain jane player.

Cuaba
12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Earl Strickland plays with a $200 Gulyassy plain jane player.

When I saw him in Manila he had a wrap from a golf club on the thing.

Bigjohn
12-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Jeffrey.......... Where do you play?...do you keep em chained to your leg ? A $6500 cue is a work of art or Museum piece. Why on earth would you play with a cue of this value? Do you take armed guards with you while you play and have them delivered and picked up by Brinks? I know a guy that got mugged and beat up for his $300 Joss. So..... It can be a dangerous thing to do... not to mention the threat of accidental damage.

Bigjohn
12-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Can you get us all 1 just like his for $200?

Well...the Tennis wrap is extra.

Cuaba
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM
When I saw the Prince of Brunei play at the WPC, his cue looked like about $50K.

cuejoey
12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
When I saw the Prince of Brunei play at the WPC, his cue looked like about $50K.
He must of had his cheap cue out then cause $50,000 to him is pennies...IF that !:)

rayjay
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Regular players are either a plain jane Scruggs or a Bender sneaky pete (with DPK shaft), each worth around 1k. I stopped taking my Black Boar to the pool hall because I worried too much about it, but I played with it regularly for about a year.
:p

Fatboy
12-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I only go play at places I dont have to worry about my cue or myself.

Why anyone would go to a place so bad their cue is their concern puzzles me, is a cue more important than your own well being?

I play with a expensive cue as a daily player and I take it to the bathroom etc.

cuejoey
12-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Why anyone would go to a place so bad their cue is their concern puzzles me, is a cue more important than your own well being?

I play with a expensive cue as a daily player and I take it to the bathroom etc.
YUP:) ...................................

9 on the snap
12-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a predator 4k4 & 314 shaft that I play with. It's a great hitting cue & it was like $900. I would LOVE a sweet custom cue. The price is not an issue for me as I do alright and I don't have a wife or kids. My problem is I like to have a few every now and then, and I have been known to accidentally whack my cue on various objects throughout an evening. I don't like this with my $900 cue (like that's freakin cheap), but I think it would ruin my entire night if it was a $4000 cue.:eek:

CocoboloCowboy
12-01-2007, 05:04 PM
If I can not play with them, and they do not play. They go up for sale. Most expensive player is about $2500.00 and it doesn't visit bars, or sports bars. Most expensive all around player is under $700.00.

hangemhigh
12-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Yeah,I love My cues like that,take 'em everywhere I go.

Gerry
12-02-2007, 09:23 AM
my player right now is a Schon STL-17. Not super expensive, I traded it for mt last player which was a Sigel......but I'd cry if I lost it! :D

My favorite cue.....and don't laugh is my Cuetec "Earl" J/B. Twice I have run over 100 balls using that cue (and my high run 127)because my regular player popped the tip. Both times were gambling, and I actually won that cue in a race to 11 against my $50!....HA, that guy didn't knnow that cue has the VOODOO!

Gerry

Jaden
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
My playing cue is a Southwest with scrimshawed ivory points, inlays, and fancy joint protectors, worth about $10K. I take it whenever I travel. In the last couple years it has been with me in Japan, China, Thailand, Singapore, Hawaii, Vegas, NYC, and places I can't remember. It is also my league cue when I play in the midwest and in Bangkok. Airlines have lost it twice recently, and I got it back both times.

I only carry this one cue, and I use it to break, play, & jump.

What I do when I fly with my cues is to wrap them really well in a towel or two and put them in my checked suitcase and I carry the empty case with me on the plane. That way no one has the urge to get sticky fingers. I haven't had them misplace them yet.

Vinnie
12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Can you get us all 1 just like his for $200?

Not that hard really. Just locate your Local cue maker and have them build it. My local cue builder, Mel Turner made my playing cue for a total cost of $376 which includes the price of a partial OB-1 shaft.

Some pics...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51724

Here is another one he made for $250...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=80643

Vinnie

Patrick Johnson
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Does the amount you "invested" in matchups add to its value? LOL - mine would be priceless!

I started with a 1st generation Predator with two 314 shafts (~$700). Then I replaced the Predator shafts with two Ed Young custom shafts (+$300). Then I replaced the Predator butt with a Joss wrapless butt which matches the threads (but not the rings or even the joint diameter - +$100) . So now I have a "mutt" that looks like hell and cost me $1,100 (+ many Moori tips @ $15-$20 a pop and the occasional ferrule replacement).

Nobody would steal this so-called cue, but I'd need Prozac without it.

pj
chgo

breakshot
12-02-2007, 01:48 PM
With plenty of Boars to choose from, The one I carry everywhere and the one that's my favorite and my best playing Black Boar, I paid $14,000 about 3 years ago, but just this year I turned down an offer of $18,500- so what's it worth ?????????? but I would'nt even sell it for 20k. It's like saying what would you sell your arm for?

I know it's crazy to carry something around like that, but playing the game feels sooooooooooo good to me when I use it------I just get frustrated when I try to use anything else.