PDA

View Full Version : break/jump

tom haney
12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I have an X-Breaker break/jump cue.
It's great for breaking, not so great at jumping.
An acquaintance told me to get a strictly jump cue.
He said no break/jump cue is worth much to jump.
Is he right in your experience?

Darth
12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
You just need to spend time learning how to use it. I've had a X-Breaker for over 1 year now and it works just fine. I make table length jumps with the full cue and as close as 2 inches with the jump handle using a dart stroke. Practice makes permanent.

Irish634
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
You just need to spend time learning how to use it. I've had a X-Breaker for over 1 year now and it works just fine. I make table length jumps with the full cue and as close as 2 inches with the jump handle using a dart stroke. Practice makes permanent.

I agree, though I have a Varney J/B, the advice is the same. Practice! I am by no means an expert at jumping, but I can when needed.

Just practice with what you have. It'll come.

Craig

MasterClass
12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I have only heard the opposite.

It is a great Jump cue but still a pretty good break cue.

Some people are even using it as a dedicated jump cue.

Is your X breaker the real one? Could it be one of those Taiwanese replicas? Even if they are, with that plastic tip that they have, jumping should still not be a problem. But breaking with those really suck.

tom haney
12-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I have only heard the opposite.

It is a great Jump cue but still a pretty good break cue.

Some people are even using it as a dedicated jump cue.

Is your X breaker the real one? Could it be one of those Taiwanese replicas? Even if they are, with that plastic tip that they have, jumping should still not be a problem. But breaking with those really suck.

Yes. I got this on a trade with JimS.
I have a feeling everybody's right and it's my inabilities
& not the cue.:)

MasterClass
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Yes. I got this on a trade with JimS.
I have a feeling everybody's right and it's my inabilities
& not the cue.:)
NOT INABILITIES!!!!

at least you are recognizing it that it is a problem and doing something about it! Soon you will be jumping better then anyone else!

Normally people who has problem with jumping has a problem with the angle of elevation of the cue and the strike point on the cue ball. Get someone to show you and probably it will just take one session to get that ball up.

But to jump and control........thats another thing. Needs lotsa practice for that.

Varney Cues
12-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Everyone with Xbreakers needs to take a look at their tip/ferrule now. Recently I've had quite a few come in for repairs....the G10 tip is cracking & you can follow the crack down through the pad and sure enough the ferrules are cracking too. Starting to see too many now for it to be a fluke. Wipe the chalk off the tip and look and see if you see any lines...the lines will be cracks. Maybe if you can catch it soon enough you can save the ferrule.

MasterClass
12-03-2007, 01:37 AM
Everyone with Xbreakers needs to take a look at their tip/ferrule now. Recently I've had quite a few come in for repairs....the G10 tip is cracking & you can follow the crack down through the pad and sure enough the ferrules are cracking too. Starting to see too many now for it to be a fluke. Wipe the chalk off the tip and look and see if you see any lines...the lines will be cracks. Maybe if you can catch it soon enough you can save the ferrule.
Do you see them happening on the Samsara X breakers? Are those G10 tips? I thought that only the Taiwanese replicas are using the G10 tips.

So far i have not heard any sound or find any problem with mine but it is good information. I will go check mine.

softshot
12-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Whats the deal with rallying around the J/B cues. (other than you spent a bunch of money to fix a deficiency in your game, that could have been solved by learning how to play)

The hard tip on the break doesn't mean much if you know how to break. and the need for the jump means you can't play position. or he left a hell of a safe.. I have never seen a jump shot that "HAD" to be shot, if you know your rails.

The J/B cues are technology run amok if you can really play you should never need one. show me even one example of mosconi or mizerak. jumping to make a shot with a tourney on the line.

show me just one...

MasterClass
12-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Whats the deal with rallying around the J/B cues. (other than you spent a bunch of money to fix a deficiency in your game, that could have been solved by learning how to play)

The hard tip on the break doesn't mean much if you know how to break. and the need for the jump means you can't play position. or he left a hell of a safe.. I have never seen a jump shot that "HAD" to be shot, if you know your rails.

The J/B cues are technology run amok if you can really play you should never need one. show me even one example of mosconi or mizerak. jumping to make a shot with a tourney on the line.

show me just one...

I can think of 2 scenarios.

One is to make a jump pot to get a chance of running rather then trying to kick and get safe. even if you are as talented as bustamante, even he uses the jump cue.

The jump opens up a new avenue for the push! you have and advantage and option to push to a jump should your opponent lacks that ability or if the table is very open.

softshot
12-03-2007, 02:53 AM
I can think of 2 scenarios.

One is to make a jump pot to get a chance of running rather then trying to kick and get safe. even if you are as talented as bustamante, even he uses the jump cue.

The jump opens up a new avenue for the push! you have and advantage and option to push to a jump should your opponent lacks that ability or if the table is very open.

jumping to get leave is insanity. you "MIGHT" get lucky but you will never have the control and precision of a kick. and kicks have far less precision than a bank, and banks have far less precision than a cut... if you need to jump,, your already screwed. you might get luck.... but how much is luck worth in a game that prides itself on precision and control.

If you have precision and control you don't need luck, therefore learn how to play and put the plastic tip in the closet.

Just my opinion.

tom haney
12-03-2007, 11:23 AM

show me just one...

LOL! I got a "kick" out of that post.

tom haney
12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
jumping to get leave is insanity. you "MIGHT" get lucky but you will never have the control and precision of a kick. and kicks have far less precision than a bank, and banks have far less precision than a cut... if you need to jump,, your already screwed. you might get luck.... but how much is luck worth in a game that prides itself on precision and control.

If you have precision and control you don't need luck, therefore learn how to play and put the plastic tip in the closet.

Just my opinion.

BTW, I bought a video of Grady's a few years back & about
a fourth of the shots he showed were jump shots.:(
Also, played a guy one hole recently who was really good with the
jump cue & I'm convinced that's what beat me.:o

MasterClass
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
I just want to summarise what i have said.

The jump open up new directions and options for your game.

Alot of good players though having no problems with kicking uses the jump for offensive or tactical reasons.

Jump is not a substitute for or reason not to learn how to kick.

miha
12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
show me even one example of mosconi or mizerak. jumping to make a shot with a tourney on the line.

show me just one...

since you asked... http://www.accu-stats.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000323, in this video you can see steve mizerak using his shortie to get out of a jam in which he got all by himself. playing straight pool, too!

berlowmj
12-03-2007, 11:21 PM

I had a G-10 ferrule combo installed on my Sledgehammer & I'm enjoying it. Others have tried it & been impressed too. Am I in for trouble too?

mjantti
12-04-2007, 03:42 AM
BTW, I bought a video of Grady's a few years back & about
a fourth of the shots he showed were jump shots.:(
Also, played a guy one hole recently who was really good with the
jump cue & I'm convinced that's what beat me.:o

Hmm... I thought jump cues were not allowed in 1hole... :confused:

Varney Cues
12-04-2007, 05:34 AM
I had a G-10 ferrule combo installed on my Sledgehammer & I'm enjoying it. Others have tried it & been impressed too. Am I in for trouble too?

You should be fine. It seems to just be the xbreakers with the thin G10 tips...and apparently the ferrules used are not unbreakable.;)

Hierovision
12-04-2007, 06:01 AM

Just my opinion.

A counterpoint that jumped into my mind after reading your post:
Shane, Earl, Francisco, Cory, Rodney, etc. all use jump cues and are proficient with them. There are going to be situations where you can benefit from skill and experience in jumping... situations where kicking or banking are not nearly as accurate as a jump would be (if you have the skill and experience). Nobody plays perfectly precise pool. We are human and get out of line sometimes... which is where the jump cue comes in. If you're good at kicking that's great, kick at it. If you're good at jumping that's great too, jump.

I don't jump by the way... because I'm much better at kicking. If I WERE good at jumping, I would do so much more often because as I said earlier sometimes it makes more sense to jump at it as opposed to kicking 4 rails because your opponent played a great safe. Even Efren jumps... and that says a lot.

tom haney
12-04-2007, 06:36 AM
since you asked... http://www.accu-stats.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000323, in this video you can see steve mizerak using his shortie to get out of a jam in which he got all by himself. playing straight pool, too!

Hmmm. My shortie has gotten me into more jams than it's gotten me out of.:D

Snorks
12-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I had the opposite experience.

I had the original X-Breaker (problem occurred with the tip and Richard replaced it free of charge with the Samsura X-Breaker). In my experience, the 2nd generation X-Breaker was by far the best jump cue I have ever used.

I sold it because I didn't want a $400 jump cue and I though that it wasn't a good a breaker as my new Varney. Of course, I probably should have held onto it because it was that good as a jumper. I now own a Predator Air, and it isn't as good IMHO as the 2nd Gen X-Breaker.

Obviously each person's mileage will vary.

berlowmj
12-04-2007, 11:38 PM
You should be fine. It seems to just be the xbreakers with the thin G10 tips...and apparently the ferrules used are not unbreakable.;)

Thank you for the reassurance.