PDA

View Full Version : Wunderkind Michael Tosado

midnightpulp
12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Found this kid on youtube. Do any of you NY'ers play with him?

He doesn't seem to have a current vids up--dated one or two years ago. How has his game progressed?

I like his game. Great draw control.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ltosado

cleary
12-02-2007, 07:39 PM
I see him around every once in a while. Ive never played him but from what Ive seen, he is very, very good.

sjm
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Michael and I are good friends and we play often. I'd call him a low "A" player, and he's certainly the best teenage player New York City has produced since Nicky Schulman, now best known for his poker accomplishments.

Michael, with the unswerving support and encouragement of his father, learned the game from superb instructor Rolando Aravena at the Amsterdam Billiard club, chiefly, if memory serves, from 2003-2005.

midnightpulp
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Michael and I are good friends and we play often. I'd call him a low "A" player, and he's certainly the best teenage player New York City has produced since Nicky Schulman, now best known for his poker accomplishments.

Michael, with the unswerving support and encouragement of his father, learned the game from superb instructor Rolando Aravena at the Amsterdam Billiard club, chiefly, if memory serves, from 2003-2005.

His offensive game looks very strong. Of course, those are selected videos.

Just curious, what does he improvement on to become AAA/Shortstop and beyond?

RunoutalloverU
12-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Although this debate could go on continually about judging players abilities. Tosado is better than an A player.

SPINDOKTOR
12-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Although this debate could go on continually about judging players abilities. Tosado is better than an A player.

There are people all around that play his speed and higher, none are professionals. Id rank him a solid 9 who can play at 10 speed on occasion. From what Ive seen..

He could very well, play at semi-pro, or a pro level very soon, Id give him 3-5 years. Id predict in that time frame if he keeps playing Pro's he could very well be on circuit.

SPINDOKTOR

RunoutalloverU
12-03-2007, 12:23 AM
There are people all around that play his speed and higher, none are professionals. Id rank him a solid 9 who can play at 10 speed on occasion. From what Ive seen..

He could very well, play at semi-pro, or a pro level very soon, Id give him 3-5 years. Id predict in that time frame if he keeps playing Pro's he could very well be on circuit.

SPINDOKTOR

They let amatuers play in the world summit of pool?

SPINDOKTOR
12-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Hmm, maybe he is progressing sooner than I predicted, GREAT! I like that young man and wish him well, it is hard to judge ones speed just by looking at clips on your tube.. I just hadnt thought of him as world beater just yet, I hope he doesnt jump in head first before he is ready.

SPINDOKTOR

Travis Bickle
12-03-2007, 12:57 AM
I remember hitting occasionally with Mike when he was just getting going about 4 years ago. It was when I was rediscovering my own game as well. Then, if we'd played in Tri-States, I'd have had to give him a game on the wire. Now he'd have to give me 3!

He showed signs pretty quickly of being able to rifle them in from about anywhere and obviously has developed a fine all-around game now. I remember his dad at a tourney once calling out to those who wanted to get in the box with Michael that, "He doesn't give weight and he doesn't get weight." A good way to go, probably.

Last time we played, I had my 4- or 5-month-old twins propped up tableside in their car seats and we played a short game of 14.1 and a little 9 ball ... and perhaps the kids sharked him a tad! Now they're 4 and won't sit still for anything, but if I brought my new month-old girl by and took him on again, no doubt I'd have plenty of time in my chair to go about feeding and diapering.:)

NYC cue dude
12-03-2007, 04:50 AM

Yes, definitely. Just like anyone can play at the us open too. Not sure if he played in the world summit this year, but he did play 2 years ago (perhaps 3) when it was held in NYC, playing "b" speed.

I see michael frequently, and play sometimes at abc. Sjm is correct, mike plays at a low A speed. He is NOT considered an open player (in ny, that would be lipsky, jon smith and flaco, although these 3 can play straight pool at a pro level at times).

Rg

Njhustler1
12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I've played Mike a number of times over the years in the Tri-State Tour in the NYC area. He's getting real nasty. I think he was the youngest player to be accepted into the UPA tour.

cuesblues
12-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Micheal is a very interesting player, I am sure we will be hearing more about him. It wasn't that long ago when SVB was coming to Denver and playing the local tournaments, usually winning them.

I don't really know what makes a great player a "shortstop", but Michael looks to be a better player than AAA.

RunoutalloverU
12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Micheal is a very interesting player, I am sure we will be hearing more about him. It wasn't that long ago when SVB was coming to Denver and playing the local tournaments, usually winning them.

I don't really know what makes a great player a "shortstop", but Michael looks to be a better player than AAA.

So do I. I think this is just a case of pool players don't like to admit how good other people are. We tend to be really tough in print, but when we see people play in person its totally different. We revere them. I also think people project their own game onto others. I think players who don't really like their own game tend to belittle others games more readily.

GG11
12-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Michael is an exceptional player who's talent goes so much farther than meets the eye. He not only a great shot maker but more importantly he plays very very smart pool. His father is a rock of support for him. He'll be something big in the pool world, mark my words.

He's been very focused on school lately, and so I think his most recent accomplishment was winning the Tri-State Invitational back in July. :D

9 Ball Girl
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I've watched him play at Skyline Billiards a couple of times (if memory serves) and at the pool room that's across the street from where Amsterdam East used to be located and the kid is pretty good. IIRC, I believe there was an article about him in BD some months ago. From what I remember from the article, Michael has ADD and pool sharpened his focusing skills. Way to go Michael!

AngryPanda
12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
So do I. I think this is just a case of pool players don't like to admit how good other people are. We tend to be really tough in print, but when we see people play in person its totally different. We revere them. I also think people project their own game onto others. I think players who don't really like their own game tend to belittle others games more readily.
I am curious if you actually know Michael? Because there are people who have posted and stated their opinion of his speed who know him quite well, who have played him alot, and played him recently. And here you are stating that some of them are "jealous"