PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lee lessons

wbweld0
12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Let me start off by saying that Scott is a very nice guy...I met him in Vegas and was to get lessons but it did not work out for either of us. I would like to know from the people that have taken lessons from Scott how you felt about the lessons? I would like to hear the positives and negatives. I watched some of their poolschool in Vegas and have incorporated some of it and know a little bit about the SPF...should I just practice it on my own or should I still get the lessons? Would it benefit greatly to go for the lessons?

poolplayer2093
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
some good information was passed. i took lessons from scott lee and you some of the info worked for me and some didn't. take every chance you get to learn something that might help your game. like a friend of mine said if you learn even 1 thing it was worth it

av84fun
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Let me start off by saying that Scott is a very nice guy...I met him in Vegas and was to get lessons but it did not work out for either of us. I would like to know from the people that have taken lessons from Scott how you felt about the lessons? I would like to hear the positives and negatives. I watched some of their poolschool in Vegas and have incorporated some of it and know a little bit about the SPF...should I just practice it on my own or should I still get the lessons? Would it benefit greatly to go for the lessons?

RIGHT...Scott is a great guy. He knows TONS about the game and most importantly is very skilled in communicating his views.

He'll have you shoot a brief series of shots and TRUST ME will have the strengths and weaknesses of the mechanical part of the game NAILED.

In our full day session, we didn't get much into strategy/tactics but that was as it should have been. You can know all the strategy/tactics in the world but if your mechanics are screwed up it will hurt your game.

He is smart enough to be flexible regarding mechanics and knows that there is not "one size fits all." So, if you have some unorthadox mechanics, I don't think he will mess with it unless he can SEE that it is hurting your game.

Bottom line, the session was WAY worth it. What he teaches will stay with you and benefit you for the rest of your pool life.

Not many "negatives" to comment about. One of the drills he will show you has to do with shooting the CB at various speeds in order to make it stop in certain zones.

In another similar thread as this, I suggested that time would be better spent drilling CB speed/direction AFTER it strikes an OB and that topic was debated with views being expressed for and against.

But that part of the day lasted maybe 5 minutes so it's no big deal one way or the other.

I don't know your skill level and don't know what you EXPECT will happen in the session. But if you expect a session oriented to "how do I get out from here" then you would have to arrange for that kind of session in advance because that is not what his "standard program" is all about.

His "standard program" (if that is what I got as I assume it was) is oriented to teaching you ROCK SOLID mechanical fundamentals and I respect the fact that he seeks to address first things first.

The FULL DAY DVD that you will get is also VERY valuable.

But BE WARNED...to the extent that your mechanics need adjusting, it WILL take you some time to replace old habits and you will GO BACKWARDS before you go forward. If you are not prepared to suffer a temporary backslide in an effort to improve your game and/or are not fully prepared to work HARD on incorporating the modifications you are given, then don't get a lesson from anyone and instead....blaze your own trail by trial and and error. Doing so MIGHT work but PROBABLY won't.

Regards,
Jim

wbweld0
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks to both...very thorough.

thoffen
12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Scott and I weren't on the same wavelength. He is a stand-up guy and is true to his promise that he won't charge if he doesn't help you. This was his suggestion and not mine. You don't have anything to lose.

randyg
12-03-2007, 11:54 AM

I admire anyone who can pick up any of the SPF System on their own. The lessons are just the start. Then comes the Mother Drills and evaluations. Any time spent with one of my SPF Instructors is a benefit. Call Scott or email me and see where we are at............SPF=randyg

DrCue'sProtege
12-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Scott and I weren't on the same wavelength. He is a stand-up guy and is true to his promise that he won't charge if he doesn't help you. This was his suggestion and not mine. You don't have anything to lose.

just wondering what you mean by not being "On The Same Wavelength?"

would ya mind elaborating? just curious.

DCP

wbweld0
12-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I admire anyone who can pick up any of the SPF System on their own. The lessons are just the start. Then comes the Mother Drills and evaluations. Any time spent with one of my SPF Instructors is a benefit. Call Scott or email me and see where we are at............SPF=randyg I definitely didn't pick it up myself I saw you all teaching it at the Vegas poolschool but I am sure that what I saw there was the tip of the iceberg.

Fliedout
12-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Strongly suggest that you go for the lessons--I predict you won't be disappointed.

dmgwalsh
12-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Scott is a great guy and a great teacher. Even though I stubbornly still succumb to some of my bad habits, I know he has the cure.

alinco
12-03-2007, 04:25 PM

I'd suggest the one on one lessons. I don't think you'll pick up anywhere near the value from just doing some drills. The feedback from a trained eye is what makes the lesson easily worth it.

I'd been playing pool for 15 years. Took a 3 hour (really 5+) lesson from Scott in Nov 2006 and 8 days later won $1200 (more than twice any previous tournament for me) in the Tiger Tour year end final. I beat Pooky Rasmeloungon, Jerry Slivka and Mike Davis - all substantially better players.

Good luck!
Andy

yobagua
12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=alinco]I'd suggest the one on one lessons. I don't think you'll pick up anywhere near the value from just doing some drills. The feedback from a trained eye is what makes the lesson easily worth it.

I'd been playing pool for 15 years. Took a 3 hour (really 5+) lesson from Scott in Nov 2006 and 8 days later won $1200 (more than twice any previous tournament for me) in the Tiger Tour year end final. I beat Pooky Rasmeloungon, Jerry Slivka and Mike Davis - all substantially better players.

Good luck!

Andy you beat those 3!!!!!!!????? Get me Scott now!!! Congrats! You did real good.

Gregg
12-03-2007, 05:37 PM
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

If you work to the very best of your ability to do exactly what Scott is asking you to do during a class or session, and work hard and do your homework for weeks/months after class, there is NO WAY that your game won't improve.

quitecoolguy
12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Scott is a stand up guy. I got lessons from him and they have changed my game forever. I always thought what i saw a pro do was just that ....pro level shooting. Yet scott told me its not that..its just how they shoot. He moved my hand back to make sure my arm was level and straight at the point of contact with the cue ball. This in itself was worth the whole training. The mother drill will humble you. I have found that S.P.F is an amazing thing. He loves what he does and you can see it in his teaching. He is not out to get as many students in per day as he can. He truly works to help you and I had people come up and ask what he was doing with me and he was happy to tell them what was going on.

The only negative thing is that Scott couldnt fix everything wrong with me in just one session.:D I had to take what he taught me and use that to build a strong foundation..but my problem was that i wasnt hitting center axis of the cue ball. It was all in the position of my hand. It took me 6 months to figure that out...and now its taking even longer to ensure my arm position stay correct. So you cant go wrong with Scott. He has made me a better player..and i love how he tell you, that you will always be his student. Kinda made you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.;)

kaznj
12-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I went to the Pool School with Randy, Scott, and Joe Tucker last summer. The next week I took some private lessons with Scott. A few weeks ago Scott was in my area again, and I took another lesson with him. If he comes this way again I would take another lesson with him. He has helped me with the consistency of my stroke. He is extremely knowledgeable and his patient with his explanaltions. He videos everything for you to go over on your own. He is well worth the money and time.

Chesscat
12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I took a lesson from Scott. I wasn't crazy about it.

SoundWaves
12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I have seen both Randy and Scott. I must say that it was been the best money I have spent yet. Anyone who has left pool school or one lesson and took it seriously and was still unhappy needs a follow up. Lesson number two takes those drills much farther. I wanted to get instruction to learn what and how to practice. After 1 1/2 years of thier help I feal I realy understand what I am trying to learn and how to get there.

mrpool06
12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I took a lesson from Scott. This shyster tried to "hustle" me, then slid out the back door with my $1000 cue stick.

Just kidding!! He pointed out some "subtle" things in my stroke, approach to the table, & hand position. I'd definitely take another lesson from him with no hesitation....in fact I'd like to do it on a yearly basis, at the very least.

Scott Lee
12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Chesscat...When and where was this...and what was it that you weren't "crazy" about the lesson? If you weren't satisfied why didn't you speak up and say so at the time? I would certainly be willing to work with you again (at my own risk), to see if I could get you to feel better about it! Up for it?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I took a lesson from Scott. I wasn't crazy about it.

COLLECTION GURU
12-03-2007, 09:50 PM
RE-LEARNED SOME THINGS PREVIOUSLY TAUGHT BUT SCOTT COMMUNICATED THE THOUGHT BETTER THAN OTHERS AND INTRODUCED NEW IDEAS:eek: . I HAVE SPECIFIC DRILLS AND SUGGESTIONS TO WORK ON AND HE IS A NICE GUY. HOWEVER, THE VIDEO MADE ME LOOK FAT AND HIS BREAK SPEED GUN MUST HAVE BEEN BROKEN AS IT MIS-READ MY "SPEED".

MOJOE
12-04-2007, 06:06 AM
I would highly recommend a lesson from Scott. He is a fantastic communicator and very patient. It does not really matter what your level is, you could benefit, I am certain. It's been a couple of years for me, I am about ready for round two. I am slumping lately!!

OnePocketChamp
12-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Scott Lee is without a doubt one of the premier Professional Pool Instructors in the country and then throw in the fact that he's a great guy and you have the complete package - plus the tape of the lesson. You may go into your lesson as I did thinking I've got a solid game, what can this guy teach me? Well back up Lone Ranger, Tonto wasn't just your side kick he also gave you some good ideas.

I came away from my lesson, a more knowledgeable player with better mechanics and a greater respect for the game I love.

Here are the negatives:
1. Scott has no concept of how long a 3 hour lesson is, it took him 7 hours. Get a watch Scott!!!!!! LOL

2. And throw that inaccurate radar gun away, no way my 75mph break was only 18mph!!!!!

Scott, your the best and the next time your down in Texas the Mexican dinner and adult beverages are on me.

Andrew Manning
12-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Chesscat...When and where was this...and what was it that you weren't "crazy" about the lesson? If you weren't satisfied why didn't you speak up and say so at the time? I would certainly be willing to work with you again (at my own risk), to see if I could get you to feel better about it! Up for it?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

wbweld0: Another reason to spring for the lesson is that Scott will bend over backwards to make sure you're satisfied with the service he provides you. I doubt you'll find anyone more dedicated to satisfying his customers, in any field.

-Andrew

Gregg
12-04-2007, 06:39 AM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, everyone who has taken a class with you is giving rave reviews, including myself. Don't worry if one guy out of a lot does not want to expand their games.

Snorks
12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Scott, everyone who has taken a class with you is giving rave reviews, including myself. Don't worry if one guy out of a lot does not want to expand their games.

Oh ya... I thought that the 9+ hour lesson that I had didn't give me enough information either... Please drive to Ottawa and give me another 10 hour lesson :) I've only improved 2 balls in the last 5 months.. this is ridiculous!

And Scott, I'm still waiting for my $1000 on the bet that we made... :) You seemed to be conveniently out of $1000 bills.

kildegirl
12-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Let me start off by saying that Scott is a very nice guy...I met him in Vegas and was to get lessons but it did not work out for either of us. I would like to know from the people that have taken lessons from Scott how you felt about the lessons? I would like to hear the positives and negatives. I watched some of their poolschool in Vegas and have incorporated some of it and know a little bit about the SPF...should I just practice it on my own or should I still get the lessons? Would it benefit greatly to go for the lessons? NO. GET A PRO THAT WILL TEACH YOU A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM.

sde
12-04-2007, 07:37 AM
NO. GET A PRO THAT WILL TEACH YOU A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM.
An aiming system may be beneficial, but don't you think that it would be better to first learn the proper mechanics to be able to consistently shot the CB where you are aiming?

Steve

poolplayer2093
12-04-2007, 07:46 AM

So what was your decision?

Carl
12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I took an individual lesson from Scott last year and plan to take another at some point. My lesson was my first with any pool instructor, so it covered a lot of the basics. I'm sure Scott can customize your lesson to address whatever you want to work on.

Scott knows what he's doing and his fee is reasonable. You can only benefit from having a professional teacher watch your stroke, check for fundamental flaws, and give you homework.

wbweld0
12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I think that I will do it...sounds like I have nothing to lose with his guarantee of being satisfied or it is free. Can't really go wrong with that!!!

Andrew Manning
12-04-2007, 12:30 PM

I know a lot of people revere Hal on this site, but how is this kind of post not considered extremely rude? Leaves a heck of a bad taste in my mouth, at least.

-Andrew

pooltchr
12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Andrew,
I think that post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek....at least, I hope so!
Steve

3kushn
12-04-2007, 05:59 PM
What's the hesitation? Have you taken lessons before and got nothing from them? Scott knows his stuff. If you're serious about your game and not playing at the level you want Scott is a good choice. He's not the only choice but it wouldn't be hard to find a less knowledgeable coach. Scott's credentials speak for themselves.

In the past 2 years I've gone the vairety way. Taking lessons from more than one. Each has something golden to add. Scott's lesson was no exception.

COLLECTION GURU
12-04-2007, 06:13 PM
RE-LEARNED SOME THINGS PREVIOUSLY TAUGHT BUT SCOTT COMMUNICATED THE THOUGHT BETTER THAN OTHERS AND INTRODUCED NEW IDEAS:eek: . I HAVE SPECIFIC DRILLS AND SUGGESTIONS TO WORK ON AND HE IS A NICE GUY. HOWEVER, THE VIDEO MADE ME LOOK FAT AND HIS BREAK SPEED GUN MUST HAVE BEEN BROKEN AS IT MIS-READ MY "SPEED".

ENOUGH OF THE LOVE FEST FOR SCOTT; HERE IS THE DOWNSIDE OF A LESSON IN YOUR HOME WITH MR. LEE. SCOTT TENDS TO LITTER HIS PERSONAL PROPERTY THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE. FOR EXAMPLE, HE LEFT SUN GLASSES IN MY POOL ROOM SOMEPLACE AND THEN AS MY WIFE SEARCHED FOR THE SUN GLASSES, SHE FOUND THE SPEED GUN USED TO MEASURE THE "SPEED" OF MY BREAK. SOME OF YOU MAY THINK THAT GETTING A FREE SPEED GUN, IF YOU DIDN'T GIVE IT BACK TO SCOTT, IS A COOL FREEBIE. HOWEVER, I HAD NO SUCH LUCK AS THIS GUN WAS FAULTY AS IT GROSSLY MIS-MEASURED MY POWERFUL BREAK WHICH CLOSELY RESEMBLES GEORGE BREEDLOVE'S BUT SCOTT'S GUN MEASURE IT AS IF I WAS LIBERACE'.

quitecoolguy
12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
as big and as loud as those letters are..you post like you might have a little sugar in your tank hehehe:D ;)

Scott Lee
12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Collection Guru...Ah, but the good news is that I FOUND the sunglasses. They were in the car, as I originally suspected. I did check my radar gun today against another 'speed radar' that was fixed on the table. It read the same speed...sooooo, your break MUST be Liberace! :eek: :D Oh well, like I told you, a crushing break isn't necessary anyway...just an accurate one! See you again in January!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

ENOUGH OF THE LOVE FEST FOR SCOTT; HERE IS THE DOWNSIDE OF A LESSON IN YOUR HOME WITH MR. LEE. SCOTT TENDS TO LITTER HIS PERSONAL PROPERTY THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE. FOR EXAMPLE, HE LEFT SUN GLASSES IN MY POOL ROOM SOMEPLACE AND THEN AS MY WIFE SEARCHED FOR THE SUN GLASSES, SHE FOUND THE SPEED GUN USED TO MEASURE THE "SPEED" OF MY BREAK. SOME OF YOU MAY THINK THAT GETTING A FREE SPEED GUN, IF YOU DIDN'T GIVE IT BACK TO SCOTT, IS A COOL FREEBIE. HOWEVER, I HAD NO SUCH LUCK AS THIS GUN WAS FAULTY AS IT GROSSLY MIS-MEASURED MY POWERFUL BREAK WHICH CLOSELY RESEMBLES GEORGE BREEDLOVE'S BUT SCOTT'S GUN MEASURE IT AS IF I WAS LIBERACE'.

Scott Lee
12-04-2007, 07:44 PM
But Hal...I DO teach an aiming system...and it's one of YOURS! :rolleyes: :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JoeyInCali
12-04-2007, 07:45 PM
See u when you come around Socal again Scott.

kildegirl
12-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Scott is a stand up guy. I got lessons from him and they have changed my game forever. I always thought what i saw a pro do was just that ....pro level shooting. Yet scott told me its not that..its just how they shoot. He moved my hand back to make sure my arm was level and straight at the point of contact with the cue ball. This in itself was worth the whole training. The mother drill will humble you. I have found that S.P.F is an amazing thing. He loves what he does and you can see it in his teaching. He is not out to get as many students in per day as he can. He truly works to help you and I had people come up and ask what he was doing with me and he was happy to tell them what was going on.

The only negative thing is that Scott couldnt fix everything wrong with me in just one session.:D I had to take what he taught me and use that to build a strong foundation..but my problem was that i wasnt hitting center axis of the cue ball. It was all in the position of my hand. It took me 6 months to figure that out...and now its taking even longer to ensure my arm position stay correct. So you cant go wrong with Scott. He has made me a better player..and i love how he tell you, that you will always be his student. Kinda made you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.;) AND YOUR AIMING SYSTEM IS? SCOTT DOES NOT HAVE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM. WHAT IS YOUR AIMING SYSTEM????

av84fun
12-06-2007, 01:48 PM
An aiming system may be beneficial, but don't you think that it would be better to first learn the proper mechanics to be able to consistently shot the CB where you are aiming?

Steve

Uh oh...here we go again on aiming systems!!! LOL

But you are SPOT ON that EVERY aiming system or "feel" technique can and will be screwed up due to one or more mechanical flaws.

Regards,
Jim

wbweld0
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Uh oh...here we go again on aiming systems!!! LOL

But you are SPOT ON that EVERY aiming system or "feel" technique can and will be screwed up due to one or more mechanical flaws.

Regards,
Jim

This is true...I don't have a problem with my aiming system. I can pocket balls with ease...I have a little bit of a problem being consistent with my straight draws and follows. I need more consistency on shape...if I am trying to draw one diamond then I want it to stop close to 1 diamond, 2 diamonds, 3 diamonds, so on and so forth. This is where I think that Scott will help big time with consistency because of the way he teaches the SPF where you set, pause at back, finish at your chest...if you repeat this on every shot then you will definitely get more consistent.

Scott Lee
12-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Hal...You are a cranky old fart, who is full of yourself. What the heck do you think S.A.M. is? It came directly from time Randy spent with you.:mad: :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

SCOTT DOES NOT HAVE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM.

mantis99
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
KILDEGIRL,

I really find the posts you make to be arrogant and rude. You disregard everyone else's knowledge, and act like you have a secret system that will revolutionise the game. Do your lessons come with a money back guarantee like Scott's?

There are simply better ways to say what you have to say than how you do it. I am very open minded regarding instruction and lessons, as I feel that I know very little. However, I would have a hard time taking lessons from a "self professed" king of aiming systems. Besides, it makes very little sense to talk of nothing but an aiming system. What good is it if your fundamentals are out of whack?

charlieb
12-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Hal, I had dinner with Scott last Thursday and he and I talked briefly about you and he had nothing but good things to say about you. In fact I have never heard him say a negative thing about you. He readily credits you with much of what he and Randy teach. You may not agree with how they have tweaked your system but they don't disparage your knowledge. Hope that you still take my calls but right is right. Time to get back to the Eric Clampton Crossroads Concert. Thank goodness for DVR's!

T-dog
12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
You may go into your lesson as I did thinking I've got a solid game, what can this guy teach me? Well back up Lone Ranger, Tonto wasn't just your side kick he also gave you some good ideas.

I came away from my lesson, a more knowledgeable player with better mechanics and a greater respect for the game I love.

Scott is awesome, the only negative is I that when he left, I realized I could hardly play, lol. Now two years later I am getting there and need a refesher.

Thanks again Scott, Let me know when your passing through.

Scott Lee
12-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Troy...Getting there? :eek: :D LOL Seems like you've arrived Champ! I'm proud to have helped you along the way, but it is your own hard work that got you winning big tournaments! I'll be through there again before too long!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott is awesome, the only negative is I that when he left, I realized I could hardly play, lol. Now two years later I am getting there and need a refesher.

Thanks again Scott, Let me know when your passing through.

av84fun
12-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Scott...as you requested, I will post to this thread frequently so as to bump it up the page 1 and allow more people to read about the praise being heaped upon you.

But, I DO expect that $5.00 discount off our next lesson you promised me for rendering this service! But that is a cheap price for another dinner oF Pam's famous lasagna right??

THIS IS A JOKE...REPEAT...JOKE...SCOTT NEVER OFFERED TO GIVE ME ANY DISCOUNT!!!!

(-:

Scott Lee
12-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Jim...I did, however, give you an autographed $1000 bill! :D

Yeah Snorks, I know, I still owe you one! :eek: It's in the mail! You know how the mail gets to Canada...by dogsled! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott...as you requested, I will post to this thread frequently so as to bump it up the page 1 and allow more people to read about the praise being heaped upon you.

But, I DO expect that $5.00 discount off our next lesson you promised me for rendering this service! But that is a cheap price for another dinner oF Pam's famous lasagna right??

THIS IS A JOKE...REPEAT...JOKE...SCOTT NEVER OFFERED TO GIVE ME ANY DISCOUNT!!!!

(-:

av84fun
12-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Jim...I did, however, give you an autographed $1000 bill! :D

www.poolknowledge.com

Yeah...but I had to hire a lawyer to keep me out of the slammer for trying to pass it at the 7-11. But the lawyer told the cops I was a pool player so they figured I was dumb enough to think it was real!!!

(-: