PDA

View Full Version : I think I did the right thing? What would you have done?

PoolSponge
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Recently I played in the 3rd stop for the Stan James tour. I enjoyed being surrounded by such immense talent and I took every opporunity I could between matches to talk to as many pros as I could. Over the last few years I have played in about 10 pro events including the Limestone City Open and the Canadian 9 Ball Championships. In that time I have been blessed to meet and get to know a lot of great players who turned out to be just as great off the table.

Here is the decision I made....on one of the tables was a poster for this event that all the pro's were signing....I chose not to. I felt that it was enough that I could play in the event and that something like that was best left for the pros.

Was that the polite thing to do or should I have taken the opportunity to get my name and signature on something besides the likes of Martel, Salvas, Montal, Eddy, Morra, and tons of other great players?

I am asking also because I will be playing in tour stop #4 and the opportunity will undoubtedly present itself again.

Thanks.

Pushout
12-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I would think that the poster was for all the players to sign, not just the big name pros. Put your name on it, you played in the event.

jimmy-leggs
12-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I would think that the poster was for all the players to sign, not just the big name pros. Put your name on it, you played in the event.
I agree,you are part of the tourny.So you have every right.How did u do?

Tin Man
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Sign it. BIG. In a big black marks-a-lot marker. Overlapping other players' names. Then write 'don't do drugs, maaaan' next to a big smiley face made out of a pot leaf and some mushrooms.

Seriously, I'd sign it. There is no active definition of 'pro' player, might as well ink it up.

9ballrun
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I can understand why you felt the way you did BUT the poster was for the event not just certain players. I say sign it, you were there, you played, you supported it, thats what its about. Good luck

PoolSponge
12-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree,you are part of the tourny.So you have every right.How did u do?

I had a blast. Finished 17-24th losing to Dany Hewitt on the bubble. Oh well, I played bad, he played...well, like Dany.

jay helfert
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM

I agree with Pushout.

Snorks
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
You are darn right I signed it! I went 0-2 and although I missed a few shots (mostly safeties), I had a blast. My signature is on the poster. I saw Luc Salvas "Machine Gun" signed, so I put my "Snorks" on the poster proudly! :)

CreeDo
12-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd have played it in the corner instead, IMO there's no way to hold it for the five if you play it in the side.

Williebetmore
12-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Here is the decision I made....on one of the tables was a poster for this event that all the pro's were signing....I chose not to. I felt that it was enough that I could play in the event and that something like that was best left for the pros.

Was that the polite thing to do or should I have taken the opportunity to get my name and signature on something besides the likes of Martel, Salvas, Montal, Eddy, Morra, and tons of other great players?

Thanks.

Sponge-man,
You f#$%ed up.

You should have signed out of consideration for the owner of the poster. If in the future you have a breakdown, go postal, and assasinate some prominent public figure (you know....like George Bush, Rosie O'Donnell, or Ronald McDonald), that poster with your signature would be worth a FORTUNE. You just didn't think this thing through properly.

P.S. - I signed some poor schnook's DCC poster this year; he saw me playing with a very famous player and insisted on my autograph. What the hell.

DrCue'sProtege
12-04-2007, 10:09 AM
i'd have signed it Travis Trotter.

thanks,

DCP

crawfish
12-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Sign it LARGE and put an exclamation at the end.