PDA

View Full Version : Ever get frustrate after playing a tournament

apoolanimal
12-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Ever get frustrate after playing a tournament and going how with almost nothing?

Won a second a couple of weeks ago. 20 players, and I got 65 bucks. First pad 100.

Cost me $15.00 for gas to get there, $12.00 to enter, and it started at 7 p.m., and we finish at 2:15 am.

Looks like I made a little over minimum wage. Where is therr money in pool?

randyg
12-05-2007, 06:34 AM
For me, pool is still a sport. It's costs me cash to play my sport. If there was any kind of money in pool our sport would be huge. So until that day, I play for the love of the game.......SPF=randyg

mnorwood
12-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Ever get frustrate after playing a tournament and going how with almost nothing?

Won a second a couple of weeks ago. 20 players, and I got 65 bucks. First pad 100.

Cost me $15.00 for gas to get there, $12.00 to enter, and it started at 7 p.m., and we finish at 2:15 am.

I'll save you some search time.... There is no money in pool right now. I play cause I love it.

Da Poet
12-05-2007, 06:39 AM
If money is your main motivation then two words,

Law school.

:)

Gregg
12-05-2007, 06:43 AM

No $$$?

You just earned $38 dollars playa!

And you say there is no money in pool.

Fast Lenny
12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Go play poker and even then there might be no money in it depending on your game and bankroll.Theres money in pool if you play lights out so if you want to win more then bet more or play in tourneys that have a larger entree fee. :cool:

Craig Fales
12-05-2007, 06:47 AM

Quit playing those hack weekly tourneys and step up to some bigger ones...

Maniac
12-05-2007, 07:02 AM
If there was any kind of money in pool our sport would be huge........SPF=randyg

Uh, last time I checked our sport WAS huge. It is ALWAYS, and has been for some years, in the top tier of participation sports in America, and I suspect it would also highly rank in world participation. Just because there is no money to be made playing it (as professional tournament payouts are small in comparison to many other sports), and television coverage is just about nil, doesn't mean the sport is small. I bet if you polled a large group of people, men and women, you would find more that has shot a game of pool than has ever played in a football game.

Let's give the game of pool more credit than just some kind of way for someone to make a buck.

Maniac

AZE
12-05-2007, 07:08 AM
There is no real money in pool, and if there is it's not in tournaments.... especially weekly amature tournaments... it would be in the gambling.

So here are your options...
Start gambling heavy and risk something.... get a lot better and reap the tournament money... all of it....... or you can just enjoy the game for what it is..... a beautiful and broke game.

Black-Balled
12-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Quit playing those hack weekly tourneys and step up to some bigger ones...
What he said. Then you can complain the same way as the folks who finished behind you in the event you took 2nd in may have:
'I paid my entry fee and didn't finish in the money.'

Is that fair?

mthornto
12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Well, somebody has to say it.

Gas to Pool Tourny .. $15.00
Pool tourny Entry fee .. $12.00
Spending the evening playing pool .. priceless.

ScottW
12-05-2007, 07:17 AM
I concur with pretty much everyone else.

If finishing in the money causes you frustration, then you'll never be happy playing in that tournament. Time to move on, or change what you're looking to get out of playing in that tournament - play for enjoyment more than cold hard cash.

Craig Fales
12-05-2007, 07:48 AM

This is also what I was thinking...he played pool all night for free, got some good practice under pressure to a degree and he still whines...I just don't get this thinking...

uwate
12-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I think you need to look on the bright side. You could have played til 1:30 and ended up jusssst out of the money. At least you left with more than you came with and got to spend an evening having fun shooting pool.

That said, I think anyone who plays in local tournaments can feel your pain. The last time I remember really feeling this way was at a local Hollywood tournament here in South Florida. 3rd/4th is $30 and 1st/2nd split is about $220 each. Its double hill and I shoot a shot cutting the eight ball on the end rail with the intention of going up and down the table for shape on the 9 which lays on the opposite end rail. I hit it too thin and the cue ball scratches in the corner next to the nine. Its 2:20 am. The winner of the other side of the bracket came up to us at about 1:45 and asked if we would split it because he was wanted to go home. So yeah at moments like that you do feel pretty bad. I always like to think that its moments like that which will build heart. For me I try to learn to really hate moments like that and drive myself to refuse to accept failure like that again when i'm in the same spot. It doesnt always work that way, but at least you focus on taking positive things out of negative events and not dwell on what could have been.

juggler314
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
If I play all day or all weekend or all week and don't spend a dime I'd be THRILLED. I plan on budgeting several thousand dollars/year on pool at a minimum. Hell just playing in two leagues all year long costs me about a grand. Add in minimal table time for practice and you are at 2K. Throw in some other entry fees etc and I'm at 3K without breaking a sweat. Decide to take serious instruction for 6 months and there's another couple of K. Only way to break even is to win some tournaments or make sure you always win when playing for table time!

(or you could be good enough and well known enough that your home location doesn't charge you to play pool...that would be nice too)

oh but I love it so I don't care about the money!

stick8
12-05-2007, 10:03 AM

Get a VW you get better milage!!!!

supergreenman
12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

You took the words right off my keyboard.

Fuji-whopper
12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Just spent about $1k going to the Florida Tour Finals in Hollywood, here is a quick breakdown:

Hotel: $500
Food: $150
Drinks: $200
Entry: $200
Gas: $100

That adds up to a lot, but what kills me is that I was playing Charlie Williams to get into the cash bracket and I played the worst set of my life. I wanted to beat Charlie so badly and get in the money that I went on tilt. Recovering expenses were only part of the motivation but the cost of expenses kept running through my head.

It's expensive to play especially when you travel, but that's why we have jobs and this is considered a "hobby" for most of us.

uwate
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Neal whats up with being a fart sniffer?

Fuji-whopper
12-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Man I fart...........a lot. And I am always curious to see how badly, sometimes I even try to gauge beforehand whether or not it is going to stink and how badly. It's a game I play with myself and sometimes I share it with other people, like my girlfriend when I throw the covers over her head after I have let one rip.

Are you telling me that you don't smell your own farts? Not even a little bit?