PDA

View Full Version : Sharking

iba7467
12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I would like to hear some of the shark tactics players have used on our thread members, or members have used. This might be interesting...

I played a guy one time that put the chalk face down, firmly everytime he used it. He also slid it slightly when picking it up. It was a definite shark tactic, and a good one at that. I have never been so filthy from playing pool. It was a real crappy move, but it definitely irritated my game some. I guess he was used to it or felt better about it since he was the one doing it.

I had the nuts so it didn't matter, but in a close game I think I would have taken the time to wash the rails before I shot everytime, as a counter-shark move until he couldn't take the waiting or the obvious overkill.

Black-Balled
12-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Guy running out...opponent says loudly, "this guy doesn't want to play pool, he wants to fight".

5ballcharlie
12-05-2007, 07:54 AM
as grady would say "a text book wiggle could buy him another shot"

jay helfert
12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
I would like to hear some of the shark tactics players have used on our thread members, or members have used. This might be interesting...

I played a guy one time that put the chalk face down, firmly everytime he used it. He also slid it slightly when picking it up. It was a definite shark tactic, and a good one at that. I have never been so filthy from playing pool. It was a real crappy move, but it definitely irritated my game some. I guess he was used to it or felt better about it since he was the one doing it.

I had the nuts so it didn't matter, but in a close game I think I would have taken the time to wash the rails before I shot everytime, as a counter-shark move until he couldn't take the waiting or the obvious overkill.

Man, do I hate that. I have played people that absolutely must put the chalk face down on the rail. I am constantly wiping the rails down, and requesting/begging them not to do that. And they do it anyway. I have quit games because of this.

I don't know about you, but I don't want blue chalk dust all over my hands and clothes. I think the next time it happens, I will pick up all the chalk and put it in my pocket. I will not let him set any chalk on the rail. PERIOD!

They can keep one piece in their pocket as well.

219Dave
12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
What really drives me crazy is when people place the chalk face down ON MY HOME TABLE!!!!

I yell, growl, and threaten, but my wife still won't stop!

!Smorgass Bored
12-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Man, do I hate that. I have played people that absolutely must put the chalk face down on the rail. I am constantly wiping the rails down, and requesting/begging them not to do that. And they do it anyway. I have quit games because of this.

I don't know about you, but I don't want blue chalk dust all over my hands and clothes. I think the next time it happens, I will pick up all the chalk and put it in my pocket. I will not let him set any chalk on the rail. PERIOD!

LOL, and just how would you go about enforcing that ?
Doug
( there's not room for me AND chalk in my pants..... imo ) :)

Njhustler1
12-05-2007, 08:44 AM
I cant stand when there's two pieces of chalk on the table and the opponent constantly takes one away from the table. I usually address it immediately and start my approach from the side of the table that would require me to ask him for the piece he's holding rather than walk around to the other piece. After I ask two times, they never do it again.

Hail Mary Shot
12-05-2007, 08:56 AM

that's a great idea Jay.
speaking of sharking, the last sharking incident that happened to me was when I just needed one more ball to win in a game of rotation , when my opponent suddenly approached the table and started counting the total points I had on my rack and tells me how many balls I still need. I in return told him, "thanks for reminding me buddy. don't worry, when it's your turn on the table, I'll return the favor by telling you the total value of points you have in every ball that you pocket everytime."

Maniac
12-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Not to get off of the subject of "chalk-sharking", but the one I hate is when my opponent stands in a direct line with my shot and really close to the table, whether he is motionless or not this is some rude sharking, IMO.

Maniac

JohnnyP
12-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Playing nine ball, I'm down on an easy eight (but could still dog it), opponent standing near the table, sticks his hand in his pocket and jingles his keys. I just grinned to myself and got out.

Andrew Manning
12-05-2007, 09:30 AM
The one that really gets me is when I miss, and my opponent makes an easy out really slowly. I'm eager to get back to the table to rebound from my miss, and it's an easy out that I've already conceded to my opponent in my mind, but he takes 45-60 seconds standing over every shot, and I'm screaming on the inside "just get out so I can rack and maybe get a chance in the next one!" Some people are just naturally slow, but some others definitely do it as a ploy to get me steaming, and man does it work effectively against me. By the time I get a shot after sitting there fuming over how long I've been in the chair watching this easy out, I couldn't sink a straight in two-foot shot in the Pacific Ocean. Which means it all starts again when I miss the next opportunity.

I have improved on this front (I used to get it much worse), and I think over time I'll develop the mental toughness that I won't be vulnerable to this move anymore. But I'm not quite there yet.

-Andrew

jay helfert
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
LOL, and just how would you go about enforcing that ?
Doug
( there's not room for me AND chalk in my pants..... imo ) :)

You don't want to know. :D

I have this evil picture in my mind of taking the face down piece of chalk and throwing it across the room. I would look at my opponent and say "That's your piece". I told you I'm slightly demented.

David Beck
12-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Once I played a guy who took two to three minutes per shot. I actually timed it. But I couldn't tell if he was mentally handicapped or not, so I let it slide. I just ran out once I got another turn.

I've never sharked intentionally. While racking the last match I played I asked my opponent, "You planning on missing any time soon? I could find something else to do if you're not." But I wouldn't consider that sharking. Needless to say, I lost. :p

jay helfert
12-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I cant stand when there's two pieces of chalk on the table and the opponent constantly takes one away from the table. I usually address it immediately and start my approach from the side of the table that would require me to ask him for the piece he's holding rather than walk around to the other piece. After I ask two times, they never do it again.

Another one that bugs me. And I handle it the same way, walk right over and ask him for the chalk.

jay helfert
12-05-2007, 09:44 AM
How about the guy who says "nice try" every time you miss. When I make a tough shot, I like to look at him and ask him if he thought that was a 'nice try' as well. That usually shuts him up.

Flex
12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Just last night playing a friendly game of weird rules 8 ball on a barbox with an overseas friend, he breaks and doesn't make a ball, I make a medium tough cut into the corner, and start to run out, Lou Butera style, noisily, drawing here and there, etc. He freaks out, as I'm on my second to last ball, saying, "Caramba! I wanna play too, take it easy!" LOL

I purposely miss shape on my last ball to give him a chance, LOL.

While it may or may not have been a shark attack, I don't know, it could be very effective, as he was playing the victim. And yes, he has played a lot of pool in the past.

Thinking a bit more about it, it was likely a perfect move, as he was playing only mediocre pool, and could ostensibly not like being moved on the way was happening.

Flex

alstl
12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
A lot of people shark themselves by paying attention to everything going on around them while they are playing.

iba7467
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Best shark move I have seen... (in league, not gambling)

Opponent is about to shoot a close shot where, although not likely, the cueball might rebound into the cuestick (a foul). The non-shooting team asks to have someone who would understand the likelihood of a foul (planting the seed) to watch the shot. They then get the best player in the room to watch Joe Schmoe shoot. Joe Schmoe will be so nervous with the best player watching it's at least a 200% advantage.

I have seen this happen 4 times -2 misses, 2 fouls, 0 made. I know it works, I did it myself. Sharking, yes, but hey it's league.

jay helfert
12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Jersey Red sharked me! Yes, he really did. It was in Dayton back in 1974 and I was playing pretty good back then. I had won three matches in a row in the 9-Ball division (including wins over Cannonball and Dan Louie), and was scheduled to play Red next.

So I run into him and he says "Man, you are playing good. I have no chance against you right now. I might just not show up and save my strength for the One Pocket." Yep, he got me big time. I'm thinking maybe he won't show and I'll get a forfeit. He showed up all right, 11-7!

9ballrun
12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
How about the guy who says "nice try" every time you miss. When I make a tough shot, I like to look at him and ask him if he thought that was a 'nice try' as well. That usually shuts him up.

Nice Try Jay!!!:p

Bugz
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Best shark move I have seen... (in league, not gambling)

Opponent is about to shoot a close shot where, although not likely, the cueball might rebound into the cuestick (a foul). The non-shooting team asks to have someone who would understand the likelihood of a foul (planting the seed) to watch the shot. They then get the best player in the room to watch Joe Schmoe shoot. Joe Schmoe will be so nervous with the best player watching it's at least a 200% advantage.

I have seen this happen 4 times -2 misses, 2 fouls, 0 made. I know it works, I did it myself. Sharking, yes, but hey it's league.

Thats only bothered me once in league. About a year ago, I was getting down to play safe because my last ball was locked up against the 8-ball. Just a simple stop shot. I looked at the shot and told my opponent "safety". It was a clear path, head on shot. No way I was going to hit the 8-ball. So, a good 45 seconds went by before I got in my stance and started a practice stroke. In mid stroke this ***** on the other team, stands up and screams "stop" "lets have someone watch this". I won that match 4-1, and played every safety possible (even when i had a simple out). When it was over, I appolgized to my opponent and told him to keep his teammates in check.

9 on the snap
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
After a scratch in 9 ball retrive the Qball for your opponent, but hand him the one instead. This works particularly well when someone is talking alot, and not paying attention. I love seeing someone set up for the next shot blabbing away with the 1 instead of the Q. He is always the last to notice. That's funny I don't care who you are.:D

JoeyA
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Just last night playing a friendly game of weird rules 8 ball on a barbox with an overseas friend, he breaks and doesn't make a ball, I make a medium tough cut into the corner, and start to run out, Lou Butera style, noisily, drawing here and there, etc. He freaks out, as I'm on my second to last ball, saying, "Caramba! I wanna play too, take it easy!" LOL

I purposely miss shape on my last ball to give him a chance, LOL.

While it may or may not have been a shark attack, I don't know, it could be very effective, as he was playing the victim. And yes, he has played a lot of pool in the past.

Thinking a bit more about it, it was likely a perfect move, as he was playing only mediocre pool, and could ostensibly not like being moved on the way was happening.

Flex
A footnote for SmorgassBoard: Caramba does not mean Carom. :D
JoeyA

JoeyInCali
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
A female pro-qualifier player started humming tunes when I was down shooting.
She was really blatant too.
Not that I had a chance in beating her.
Also some use the suddenly need to look at the waitress move while your shooting. They spin their head in your last stroke.

There's a guy in my local hall who stinks. I mean this guy really stinks and his hands sweat so bad. The sweat in his palms get to the balls even when he's racking .He's also an arrogant midget who likes to milk the crowd when he's playing. He doesn't have to do much to shark me. He's also a pathalogical lying swindler. So I pretty much lose before I even play him.

jrhendy
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM

One of the top Hispanic players in LA used to drown the balls in talcum powder when he was racking for 9 Ball in critical situations. The ball trey turned white after a long session.

An ex Northern California player now living in Colorado had a very effective move when you were breaking playing one pocket. He would sit in the chair on the side you were breaking to and just as you were getting ready to pull the trigger on the break shot, he would reach over and place the chalk on the table in your line of sight. One of many moves this guy had. He has an appropriate nickname that isn't used much anymaore.

Jay, you and I played a lot with the guys at 6th & Western and other joints in LA over the years and probabley faded every move that existed. I usually just ignored them, it didn't do any good to get hot, and if I did, I just quit.

One of the best moves I heard about but didn't witness was supposed to be in a billiard game somewhere years ago. There was a sweator who was sitting by the billiard table who had fallen asleep. The guy who was behind ran a two and only marked up one. As he walked by the sweator, he leaned over to him and kicked his feet. The sweator grunted something, the player said "Thank You" and went and marked his other billiard. The other player was so steamed he ended up losing the game. John

Billy_Bob
12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Basically anything other than opponent sitting down in his chair, being quiet, and not flicking a lighter or whatever.

When I have an opponent which does this for me while I am shooting, I know he is allowing me to fully concentrate on my shooting and is being respectful.

Then prior to playing someone in a tournament, those who do not comment on my playing good or bad.

Here is some of the stuff they can do...

Anger (Making your opponent angry)
*Wrongly accusing your opponent of cheating; accusations of improper lag, improper coin-flip, improper shot, etc.
*Accusing your opponent of something they did not do or did not intend to do.

Concentration (Disrupting your opponent's concentration)
*Doing anything vocal or making noise while your opponent shoots, is approaching the table to shoot, is studying the table for next shot, or is racking balls for next game. This includes talking to other people during the match.
*Any comments or questions about your opponents playing/shooting good or bad.
*Asking opponent why they are aiming at the wrong ball when they are aiming at the correct ball.

Distraction (If what you are doing would distract you while shooting, it probably distracts other players)
*Moving deliberately within the shooter's field of view.
*Standing where opponent needs to be for next shot.
*Waving your hand while your opponent is shooting or about to shoot.
*Standing at the table, especially behind the target pocket.
*Chalking your cue at table when it is your opponents turn to shoot.

Psychological Tactics (Upsetting your opponent or disrupting their confidence)
*Using psychological "tactics" before the match/tournament begins - Negative implications/comments/questions to players you may play in future games.
*Statements, implications, or questions about your opponents missed shots in prior games - Trying to make your opponent think about their poor shooting.
*Statements, implications, or questions about your opponent's losses in prior games - Trying to make your opponent think about the previous game they lost.
*Statements, implications, or questions about your opponent's exceptional playing abilities - Trying to make your opponent overconfident.

Unsolicited Instruction (Telling your opponent how to play better)
*Any statement about how to play better, what bridge to use, grip to use, etc.
*Coaching your opponent. Don't coach other players unless they ask for advice. Unsolicited coaching is a shark.
*Criticizing your opponent?s game.

thyme3421
12-05-2007, 11:46 AM

That's funny you mention that... on sunday I was playing a league match and the guy kept doing that... so I kept taking the chalk and putting on my table next to my drink. after the first game he ended up pulling out a brand new piece of chalk from his case, and stopped slamming it on the table.

Beautiful.

uwate
12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
<oinking on>

No one has yet mentioned a pool hall favorite sharking move:

HOT women wearing skimpy clothes sharking you from either being the opposing player or the opposing player's "team". Yknow bending over, top falling open, dress hiked up shooting shots with no crutch..the works.

I'm hoping I can get sharked like this more in the future.

<oinking off/>

kobyp
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
The main thing that gets me is the unwanted commentators. Most of the time these aren't the people playing me. I've kinda gotten a reputation lately for telling people to shut their mouths, get out of my line of sight, and wait their turn.

If they don't, I just start playing leave on them. And I be sure to make it VERY obvious of what I am doing.

Gregg
12-05-2007, 12:24 PM
<oinking on>

HOT women wearing skimpy clothes sharking you from either being the opposing player or the opposing player's "team". Yknow bending over, top falling open, dress hiked up shooting shots with no crutch..the works.

<oinking off/>

One time I would not be complaining about being sharked.

I would just consider it part of league night.

Njhustler1
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
my biggest sharking complaint is when i play that chick who can hop up on the table and shoots upside down with her her where her butt should be. how am i supposed to stay focused?

Cuaba
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
At a league team tournament in Peoria, one of the team members was sitting by a window in the afternoon. During key shots, on the final stroke, he would flash the sun's reflection from his watch into an opposing player's eye. When someone finally noticed, the whole place erupted. I'm surprised it didn't turn into a riot. They wanted to lynch the dude.

Turns out everyone knew the guy, he produces instructional videos. The best line of the day was: "Do you teach that one in your videos?"

The Kiss
12-05-2007, 12:40 PM
My favorite sharks are the pocket change gingle, the excessively sqeekey chalk, putting the chalk in front of the pocket the guy is shooting at...the old drop the stick hard surfaced floor...

dabarbr
12-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I normally stay calm and say to them " I don't see how you can miscue when I'm shooting". They quickly get the message.

cuesblues
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I absolutely do not shark unless I am playing my girlfriend. Back when I was young in the late 60's, early 70's, we used to go around playing partners 8-ball, doing a lot of gambling. The one we always used that really worked, was when someone shooting at the 8-ball, one of us would say "his arm could fall off", and the guy would miss every time.

crawfish
12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
On a guy making a pretty tough out and getting to the eight or nine and really gets out of line. Makeable, but tough. Stand up and grab the chalk from the table just at the corner of his sight. As if to let him know you'll be back at the table. Realllllllly effective.

supergreenman
12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Not to get off of the subject of "chalk-sharking", but the one I hate is when my opponent stands in a direct line with my shot and really close to the table, whether he is motionless or not this is some rude sharking, IMO.

Maniac

Moving out of your direct line of site is not always possible when playing in crowded conditions. I think if a person after they miss goes and stands at a counter, table(not pool table) or away from the playing area and doesn't move, you shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Easiest way not to get sharked is to focus on your game.

There are ways to get people to stop though. I was playing a woman in league a few weeks back. She was moderately attractive, but no big deal really. She would move into my line of sight every time I'd get down on a shot. I could have just shut her out of my mind, but since i saw what she was trying to do I decided to mess with her. I'd get down on a shot and she'd move into my line of vision, I'd get up and choose another shot to take and she'd move to that stand in front of that ball, this went on until she realized I intended to give her a work out running around the table.

After she quit, I went immediatly back to my original shot and ran the table out. I noticed she didn't do that against any of my team mates afterwards either.

Gregg
12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I've been told to try this one;

While in the shooters view, seated in your chair, pull up your socks.

Either the guy was a poor shooter, or it worked, I'll never know!

The Kiss
12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
One of the best shark tactics ever used against me was in a tournament..Playing for 1st and 2nd money..The guys girlfriend waited till I was on the 9..She had an unopened can of coke..Then waited till I was was mid stroke and popped that can open like a gun shot..I jumped up

silvr rcr
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
The one that really gets me is when I miss, and my opponent makes an easy out really slowly. I'm eager to get back to the table to rebound from my miss, and it's an easy out that I've already conceded to my opponent in my mind, but he takes 45-60 seconds standing over every shot, and I'm screaming on the inside "just get out so I can rack and maybe get a chance in the next one!" Some people are just naturally slow, but some others definitely do it as a ploy to get me steaming, and man does it work effectively against me. By the time I get a shot after sitting there fuming over how long I've been in the chair watching this easy out, I couldn't sink a straight in two-foot shot in the Pacific Ocean. Which means it all starts again when I miss the next opportunity.

I have improved on this front (I used to get it much worse), and I think over time I'll develop the mental toughness that I won't be vulnerable to this move anymore. But I'm not quite there yet.

-Andrew
this bothers me as well, but ive gotten better about it.
i used to approach the table after this with alot of speed and angst.
I realized this and slowed down alot. I dont try to take annoying amounts of time between shots and moving around the table, unless the situation calls for it, but I am alot more calm about it and waiting my turn.

Theres a guy Ive played the last 2 nights who taps the chalk on the rail each time before chalking his cue. Its not something that bothers me ALOT, but I'd prefer if he didnt.

I think my biggest pet peeve with pool is when you play someone who isnt as serious about the game as you are and when you are shooting, theyre chatting away with others around the table, which isnt THAT big of a deal, but when its their turn, they dont notice and continue to talk, or even worse, they DO notice its their turn and they continue to talk.
This also happens with phone calls.

Usually this happens when you arent in a dedicated pool room, but a bar that has tables. It happens to me when i play friends at places such as this.
Last night this happened with a good friend and another acquaintance.
I finished the race as quickly as I could and quit after that, went to my regular pool room.

I used to be able to tolerate stuff like this from friends, but now i'd almost just rather not play them.

cuesblues
12-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Moving out of your direct line of site is not always possible when playing in crowded conditions. I think if a person after they miss goes and stands at a counter, table(not pool table) or away from the playing area and doesn't move, you shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Easiest way not to get sharked is to focus on your game.

There are ways to get people to stop though. I was playing a woman in league a few weeks back. She was moderately attractive, but no big deal really. She would move into my line of sight every time I'd get down on a shot. I could have just shut her out of my mind, but since i saw what she was trying to do I decided to mess with her. I'd get down on a shot and she'd move into my line of vision, I'd get up and choose another shot to take and she'd move to that stand in front of that ball, this went on until she realized I intended to give her a work out running around the table.

After she quit, I went immediatly back to my original shot and ran the table out. I noticed she didn't do that against any of my team mates afterwards either.

I must have the same chick playing on my Wednsday in-house league, however this one is very attractive, somewhat stunning in her own way. I missed 2-easy nine balls by her moving in front of the shot, and it was my fault for not pulling up, or taking my time to focus better. The shots were so easy, and I let her shark me. I won anyway, but it could have been a lot quicker.

gedukas
12-05-2007, 01:21 PM

usually when I go to the local pool halls(smoked up and all) I wear already dirty clothing such as a dirty T-shirt over my normal shirt, or a dirty-ish hoody or sweater. If people do this, I just wipe down the rails and don't worry about it. I have only encountered that sharking technique once though....:)

buzzsaw
12-05-2007, 03:35 PM
<oinking on>

<oinking off/>
Yeah I hate that move too.:eek: It's almost like they do it on purpose.

thyme3421
12-05-2007, 04:37 PM
- Chalk on the rail, it bothers me because it's a pain in my a--.
- In my light of sight, I couldn't really care less unless I'm doing a kick shot.
- Standing there chalking until I'm about to pull the trigger, and then suddenly putting the chalk back on the rail.
- Verbal "abuse/sharking"... meh, whatever. Just be aware that if you're going to try and dish it out, be prepared to take it as well. And yeah, I'll go below the belt if you're trying to shark me... and the entire place will know that you're a dishonest POS.
- The one of 2 things that bothers me... at least, to my knowledge... if I miss a ball, or scratch.. foul.. whatever.... the entire opposing team shouts like they just won the game. That's annoying, and puts me off my game a little.
- when my opponent/railbird misses and then says "7 in the side... 1 rail to 8 in the corner... just don't leave the rock down table!" Duh, did you see another possible shot? Seeing as I only have 1 ball, and then the 8... maybe I should shoot his stripe first to get position on the solid... maybe that makes more sense.
I hate that.

Bob Jewett
12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
At a league team tournament in Peoria, one of the team members was sitting by a window in the afternoon. During key shots, on the final stroke, he would flash the sun's reflection from his watch into an opposing player's eye. When someone finally noticed, the whole place erupted. I'm surprised it didn't turn into a riot. They wanted to lynch the dude. ...
This is the third for fourth time I've heard of this episode, including from one of the guy's business partners who was there. Sad.

Bob Jewett
12-05-2007, 05:51 PM
From an article four years ago in Billiards Digest that includes a few scams with the sharks:

Sharks and Scams

Recently in the on-line discussion group rec.sport.billiard, I
asked the participants to describe notable sharks, moves, and
scams. The response was very enthusiastic. If you prefer to
think of the game as a pure, intellectual pursuit of geometry and
physics, you may want to skip this month's installment, which
deals with the sordid and unseemly.

One recurring theme was methods of distraction. Mentioned
several times was the strategic positioning of attractive women
near the table. I've seen this in person when a local big-money
player showed up for a match accompanied by a mini-skirted
helper who perched on a bar stool by the table. Effectiveness is
reported to be inversely proportional to clothing.

Talking during your opponent's turn is too obvious. A twist is
to launch into lengthy stories on your own turn and then clam up
when you're seated. While you're at it, don't watch while your
opponent is shooting -- look away as if you have no interest in
the game. Of course, some players are painful to watch, and your
apparent disinterest can be excused. Luther Lassiter was said
to sleep during some of his matches.

Does your opponent like to listen to heavy metal rock? Get to
the juke box first and punch up five bucks of Frank Sinatra and
Britney Spears.

One of the most common lesser sharks is visiting the restroom.
When you finish a nice run, and suddenly your opponent bolts for
the john, it's easy to suspect your five minute wait is more due
to his desire to cool your streak than any gastrointestinal
urgency. Would it be impolite to offer such a person a bottle of
Kaopectate? Most larger tournaments have rules about breaks --
number and duration -- and some players seem always to press the
limit. I'm generally against shot clocks, but I recently heard
of a system used in Europe that might be worth a try. Chess
clocks are used, and each player starts with so much time. Need
a bathroom break? Fine, you're on the clock.

Among mildly irritating activities to employ are putting the
chalk on the cushion face down, getting talc all over every
thing, moving all the chalk to your chair, racking for a few
minutes or nit-picking your opponent's rack to death, saying
"nice try" for a lousy miss, saying nothing for a world-class
shot, and lots more. Timing of the change of players at the
table gives lots of off-putting possiblities. Linger at the
table after each miss until your opponent is ready to shoot; jump
up from your chair as soon as you're sure your opponent has
missed (an antidote to the preceding method), or take an extra
five seconds to get to the table, which will seem like an
eternity after many repetitions.

Another fertile situation is the concession of the final balls at
games like nine ball. The most blatant form of this is to get up
as if you're going to concede a shot that's a little harder than
average, and then sit back down. A variation of this technique
is used if you have been on a good run, and then miss on a late
ball, leaving a very easy run out. Concede all the balls so your
opponent, who has been seated for a rack or two, has no hangers
to warm up with. Around here, some tournaments have the rule that
if you concede a nine ball, you lose the next game as well.

There are lots of less direct distraction methods. A good source
is Steven Potter's "Gamesmanship" which has been discussed in
this magazine by Robert Byrne. Potter tends towards the "mind
worm" ploy, such as the suggestion from the group to ask, "Do you
usually exhale before the stroke?"

You may encounter more agressive sharks as well. One player told
me he would make my life a living hell if I left the game for a
brief dinner break, and at the time he seemed to mean it.
Another player in this area would pick a fight over any slight
thing. When I offered him the first break in a nine ball match,
he accused me of trying to pull something and demanded to flip.
Of course, if your opponent isn't Bustamante, the break probably
is a disadvantage on most tables with most racks. A study by
Accu-stats of pro results showed that the breaker lost more than
half the time at nine ball. So, maybe I was trying to pull
something.

Some players smash things when they're mad, and again it's not
clear whether it's spontaneous release or with some purpose.
Ranting at your own bad play is a mild form of this. Others get
mad at everyone around them -- sometimes in World Championships
-- perhaps because they have a need to feel like a lone underdog,
or perhaps to rattle all concerned.

When gambling is involved, the better player may need moves to
get or keep the "client" interested. One report was of a player
who saw his fish about to swim away, so he conceded a tough nine
ball. The generosity got him a few more barrels.

Often the inducement to play comes as a spot that's not a
spot. (The break at nine ball may well be one of these.) I'm
guilty of spotting my opponent -- who was my roommate at the time
-- the removal of five of his balls at eight ball, so he only has
to make two before the eight. If I remove them, there's no way
Efren can beat me. Please note: I found out it's not a good idea
to use such tricks on your roommate.

"I'll shoot left handed," may be a sinister invitation. "You
played so bad against me, I'll bet that girl can beat you," may
be followed by an introduction to a pleasant young woman named
Karen with a funny accent and an open bridge.

One report on the Internet was from a one-pocket player who was
spotting his opponent 8-6. (Shark needs 8 balls before the fish
gets 6.) After a threat to quit, the fish agreed to continue at
9-7, since it would be harder for the better player to get to
nine balls. Well, you can calculate the change in advantage
here, and the shark's chances improved by about 6%. That is, if
the first spot were even, the second would give the better player
a 6% advantage, in the long run. It helps if the donor suffers
from innumeracy.

Ron Shepard reported a move from a tournament. The better player
was on the hill (needing one more game) and the opponent needed a
bunch. The offer was a side bet of $20 on each rack played for
the rest of the match. The player who was on the hill could only
win $20, while the other might win $100, so it seemed like 5:1 on
the money. Of course, if someone is better than you are, it's a
losing proposition to bet at all, but this situation may cloud
your mind.

One correspondent mentions giving up the "8 and the last four"
at nine ball. This means that the client wins if he pockets
the eight ball at any time or any of the last four balls on
the table. When that didn't go well, it was adjusted to the
"6 and the last four," which seems like more, but is it?

There are lots of word dodges that might be used. Be prepared
for one in "Poolhall Junkies," if you haven't seen it yet.
Examples are: "I bet you can't make that ball." (Brunswick made
it.) "I bet I can roll the ball under this bridge on the table."
(Roll it under the table.) "I know where you got those shoes."
(On your feet.) "I bet I can roll over 250 at bowling." (Write
"250" on a piece of paper and then roll a ball over it.) My own
feeling is that such tricks should be rewarded with broken thumbs
or worse. If the parties to a wager do not agree on what the
conditions were, there was no wager. You can quote me.

Sometimes the scams are more complex. I know one player who was
about to leave the area, so he arranged a match at his home
room with a visitor. All the locals backed their guy, of course.
The result was a "dump." The lesson: if you need to wager, bet
only on yourself.

An extension of the dump was related to me by a player who toured
the South with a couple of old-time hustlers. The usual
arrangement was for A to go into a town, and gradually work his
way up the local pecking order until he was beating everybody by
playing better pool than the townsfolk had ever seen. A few days
after the action had subsided, B would get to town, and a match
with A would be arranged. Player A would play great pool, better
than he had showed before, but B would play even better than
that. I suppose this sort of plan was safer before the days of
Internet chat rooms and the instantaneous world-wide broadcast of
descriptions of remarkable touring players.

Some times unusual games can be confusing. Eddie Robin describes
lots of strange spots at one pocket in his two excellent books on
the game. How about a game where nothing I do counts? Is there
any way for me to win? My scratches don't count against me, if I
make a ball for you, it doesn't count, but if I make my own, they
don't count either.

In a strange match several years ago at the location of a major
tournament, two players had a strange one pocket game: 2 to 1.
Yes, the weaker player needed only one ball to win. Now, it's
possible to try to compare this very short game to a longer game,
say 10-5. It turns out that simple theory says the shorter match
favors the weaker player by about 10% compared to a long game.
This may confuse on-lookers as to the proper odds. I didn't hear
how the two players came out, but the on-lookers were reported to
have lost $30,000.

As far as proposition bets go, be sure to keep an eye on Willie
Joplin's column for ideas. Amazing things can happen on a pool
table without any kind of flim-flam. Keep your wallet in your
pocket and remember the advice of Sky Masterson's father
(according to Damon Runyon):

Son. Someday a man is going to walk up to you with a sealed
deck of cards fresh from the factory, and say, "I bet I can
make the jack of spades jump out of this deck and squirt
cider in your ear." Son, when you meet this man, do not take
his bet. For as sure as the sun rises every morning, if you
do take the bet, the jack of spades will jump out of the deck
and squirt cider in your ear.

Oh, and if you play me, don't try any of the above, or I'll call
you for unsportsmanlike conduct

CaptiveBred
12-05-2007, 10:13 PM
beat this (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=27027&highlight=sharked) shark move!

worldison2
12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
beat this (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=27027&highlight=sharked) shark move!

You must be completely shark-proof in the pool hall. Thanks for the laugh.

Perk
12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
2 things that really get to me:

1. When you are shooting towards balls that are tied up where the hit could be close, yet its totally obvious you will be coming in from behind it, they absolutely have to call someone over to watch it. This just irritates the piss out of me.

2. If your opponent is routinely just giving you the last ball because they are confident you can make it, it pisses me off if they get up to the table, look at it, then try to make you shoot it. Most of the time I just say thank you and they get the point, but still pisses me off.

Cuaba
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
This is the third for fourth time I've heard of this episode, including from one of the guy's business partners who was there. Sad.

Bob,
I was there. I witnessed it. It was the worst display of sportsmanship & class I have ever seen. People like this are keeping the sport we love in the Dark Age.

pulzcul
12-06-2007, 01:51 PM
One of these days, at the right moment, when their over the money ball, I'm gonna pull my teeth out and smile at my opponent.:eek: :D

iba7467
12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Can't shark this guy...

Myself and another player are woofing and drinking, both pretty sociable. After a couple more rounds it's louder and ruder towards one another, still very light-hearted. Until apparently, I said something to unnerve him and he came at me. We tangled up, both inebriated, neither wanting to exactly tear each other's head off...

A player in the middle of his match pauses mid-stroke, looks up, and yells, "Hey, we're trying to play some F#%$'n pool here". Everyone stopped for just a moment and looked at the guy as he fired in the money ball. The whole place cracked up.

Secaucus Fats
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I think playing in a bar helps one toughen up to sharking, and distractions.
Music blasting, people moving around all over, loud talking... if you can get used to tuning that out you have accomplished something!

I play a lot of barbox pool. I played in all kinds of joints, from absolute dives to classy gin joints. I only play bar pool in my friends pub now. He doesn't mind that I drink only seltzer or the occasional "Virgin Mary".

Fats

CreeDo
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
The biggest shark against me is to start keeping score for no reason, during friendly matches. I have a buddy who does this... more than one actually. I beat them 2 to 1, and they still want to whip out the measuring stick. Having the guy sit there at the foot rail flipping the counter is super annoying.

I also hate when a guy reaches into the pocket to start getting balls while I'm on the last ball, and then just stands there with his hand hovering over the pocket while I'm trying to shoot. I've dropped a lot of 8 balls and 9 balls that way. If I think it's the reason for my miss I just go to the head of the table and tell them to rack'em.

chilli66
12-07-2007, 10:01 PM
We had a league game a few weeks ago where my teammates opponent was wiggling his fingers in the pocket the 8 ball was about to go into. He seemed like he didn't even know he was doing it. Our guy waited until he'd stopped then made the ball.

I said if it had been me taking the shot the guy would've had some very sore fingers after that 8ball went in!

cyrex
12-07-2007, 10:12 PM
When I was in the army I used to run around with this guy and we'd hit all the army base bars. Tipping the cute waitress to come around more often would distract his opponent. But the best move I saw him do... standing near his opponent when he was shooting at the money ball, he FARTED. It was soooo damn hilarious and effective.

RRfireblade
12-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I've got a couple of little ones :

You walk up to shoot , go to grab the chalk and your opponent decides he's going to chalk up before walking off making you wait for it.

When they're seated and you have to shoot right in front of them and they don't move. They just pull the 'ole body english manuever to give you just barely enough room to shoot . . . if neither of you breathe.

You get down to the money ball , straight in , and they walk to the table "as if " to conceide as your set to shoot and then back off at the last minute so you have to.

The all of a sudden "impossible to get a good rack" right after your nice run while you stand there dozing off.

Anything related to a cell phone or the need to 'Play my song' on the JB.

I guess that's enough. :)

chilli66
12-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I've got a couple of little ones :
When they're seated and you have to shoot right in front of them and they don't move. They just pull the 'ole body english manuever to give you just barely enough room to shoot . . . if neither of you breathe.

Anything related to a cell phone or the need to 'Play my song' on the JB.

I guess that's enough. :)

I've had people stand behind me & not want to move while I take my shot. I just move my hand further up the butt of the cue & take a ridiculously long backstroke. When it hits them I just apologise. They tend to move & it's still your shot, after all the only thing you hit was them!

I will admit to having to "play my song" at times, but not once the game has started. I have come back from the juke box to find my opponent waiting for me so I'll apologise again. I can only take so much (c)rap before I go nuts!

cuesblues
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Since this thread popped up, I have to mention that last night, BCA 8-ball, the other team sharked us until they got tired. We ended up winning by 2-points, which was amazing, because every time I looked up we were losing. These guys can shoot, but there is a reason why they are in last place.

poolcuemaster
12-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey Joey just pick up stinky and drop him in the garbage can one time is all it takes. A girl that worked the front door at a night club I worked at 30 years ago pushed a 100 pound cash register off the counter on a stinkers feet she told couldn't enter without a bath, he went outside and poured on some cheap cologne and when he returned it got on her last nerve.

Leonard

Straw_Hat
12-08-2007, 12:12 AM
the thing that gets me more then anything is just my opponet holding their stick then entire time i'm shooting until i get to the last ball.. then sitting the stick down like i'm going to make it.. i miss almost every time.. I notice this happens a lot and don't know if it's maybe just habbit for most players or what.. but it messes me up.... even worse is people that start to come and get ready to rack the balls, but now I just accept that as a victory and if they say something, i tell them to stay seated until it's all done then...

Flex
12-08-2007, 04:47 AM
I've had people stand behind me & not want to move while I take my shot. I just move my hand further up the butt of the cue & take a ridiculously long backstroke. When it hits them I just apologise. They tend to move & it's still your shot, after all the only thing you hit was them!

I've found that having a particularly jerky stroke in those situations works wonders. Especially a very rapid back swing, and a long one at that. Might just catch them, who knows where. A couple of those, followed by a nervous laugh will usually get them to move... :eek: If not, a few more, followed by a "here we go!" like a pitcher winding up to unleash a devastating fast ball, now that one will clear the space behind you rather quickly :D Just be sure to throw in a lot of that Mike Davis shoulder motion on the stroke.

Flex

CreeDo
12-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I do the same trick with the 'accidental' poke. I say "excuse me" once beforehand, but only the once. Then it's "OH! my bad!" after jabbing them in the kidney gently.

I also get sharked by having to wait for people who seem to come to the pool hall to do any damn thing EXCEPT play pool. First the guy has to sit there and agonize over the jukebox. He really wants me to wait (and pay for the time) when he's got 20 credits!? Then the guy has to wander to the bar, look it all over, make some chitchat with the counter girl, then go say hi to some friends of his. Then he's got to take that all-important phone call. ("not much baby what're you doin'? I'm at the pool hall. Yeah. Uhm, yeah, I think so. No, haha. Yeah. Just chillin' n' playin' my buddy. Uh huh...").

The other night I was playing with the owner in a ring game and had to wait like 10-15 mins. every time it's his shot. Not his fault, I don't hold it against anyone, but damn did it shark me. I dogged a 9 ball, quit the game and rolled out of there and left behind a $300 piece of equipment, I was so rattled.

our_auctionguy
12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
the thing that gets me more then anything is just my opponet holding their stick then entire time i'm shooting until i get to the last ball.. then sitting the stick down like i'm going to make it.. i miss almost every time.. I notice this happens a lot and don't know if it's maybe just habbit for most players or what.. but it messes me up.... even worse is people that start to come and get ready to rack the balls, but now I just accept that as a victory and if they say something, i tell them to stay seated until it's all done then...

You're right on. Putting the stick aside on the last shot is one of the most subtle sharks one can do without being called on the game. If gambling, it is as close to reaching into your pocket for your wallet, but the difference is reaching for your wallet or pulling out cash is an accepted sign you are conceding the game and most players will call you on it to pay up. Setting the cue aside cannot be called on. I do it all the time and see no reason to change. If my opponenent is paying that much attention to what I do with my cue and loses focus on his skill, then he deserves to lose because he isn't playing his game, he's playing his opponent.

To Address Your Confidence Problem, try stopping, laughing to yourself inside, and thinking to yourself, " Let me show this guy (S.O.B., if you prefer) his sharking tactic is just going to make sure I win, I'll show him." Then concentrentrate as if it is any ball but the money ball you are about to sink and planning where you want to leave the cue ball. Then make the blasted thing and take note of where the cue stopped as a practice and even point out that you messed up because you wanted the cue to stop a couple inches further this way or that way. That will leave him thinking to himself " Rut Roh! this guy is good! He concentrating on his leave on the money ball. Sharking ain't gonna work."