PDA

View Full Version : Smack Talk about Johnny Archer

JAM
12-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Tomorrow, the Scorpion will face off with the Pearl on the IPT website, free of charge.

Now, whether you like the IPT or not, I would like to reserve this thread for only the match itself. There are many other threads where you can pounce on the IPT if you so desire.

I hope the title of this thread got your attention! It was made in jest! :D

Now, I know Johnny Archer is tough action in any venue. I'm sure he's hungry for a win, especially after his unfortunate loss on the last day of the Mosconi Cup. He did well in Reno, though. So who knows what game he will bring with him tomorrow.

Earl Strickland just defeated the current WPC champion Daryl Peach. It was said by some that he was hitting 'em pretty sporty in Vegas during his matches.

They will be playing 8-ball. Johnny played well in the IPT events with this game, which could give him a slight edge. However, the break won't be as important in this match, since it ain't the luck game of 9-ball.

Both players have been on the road for over a week. Traveling from event to event can wear you down. Both players experienced the disappointing loss of Team USA in Vegas and need a boost.

I like Earl in this match, but if I were to place odds on the match, it would be pick 'em. :p

For those who may not know about it, this match-up will be tomorrow night on the IPT website: http://www.internationalpooltour.com

It is free of charge, 7:00 p.m., Central Time, Wednesday, December 19, 2007.

JAM

ironman
12-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Tomorrow, the Scorpion will face off with the Pearl on the IPT website, free of charge.

Now, whether you like the IPT or not, I would like to reserve this thread for only the match itself. There are many other threads where you can pounce on the IPT if you so desire.

I hope the title of this thread got your attention! It was made in jest! :D

Now, I know Johnny Archer is tough action in any venue. I'm sure he's hungry for a win, especially after his unfortunate loss on the last day of the Mosconi Cup. He did well in Reno, though. So who knows what game he will bring with him tomorrow.

Earl Strickland just defeated the current WPC champion Daryl Peach. It was said by some that he was hitting 'em pretty sporty in Vegas during his matches.

They will be playing 8-ball. Johnny played well in the IPT events with this game, which could give him a slight edge. However, the break won't be as important in this match, since it ain't the luck game of 9-ball.

Both players have been on the road for over a week. Traveling from event to event can wear you down. Both players experienced the disappointing loss of Team USA in Vegas and need a boost.

I like Earl in this match, but if I were to place odds on the match, it would be pick 'em. :p

For those who may not know about it, this match-up will be tomorrow night on the IPT website: http://www.internationalpooltour.com

It is free of charge, 7:00 p.m., Central Time, Wednesday, December 19, 2007.

JAM

I have to respectfully disagree with you Jam as I feel Johnny is a huge favorite. In fact, I'm willing to bet you $5.00 and take Johnny to be paid the first time we meet in unmarked bills.

Ha! Take that!

Blackjack
12-18-2007, 07:18 AM
I'll pick Johnny in this match up - :p

It will be a great match, great commentary - you have a Hall of Famer playing heads up against a future Hall of Famer. Two great champions on the table, and two great champions in the booth calling the action.

With Mike and Grady in the booth, I am just waiting to see which one drops the F-bomb first! lol - in regards to that Mike knows my money is on him - but Grady Mathews is a formidable opponent who's level in stature regarding that variety of verbage is immeasurable under these unpredictable adverse conditions... lol

It'll be a great match up - but like I said, I give Johnny the advantage because he's so tough in any situation - Earl definitely has his hands full.

ShootingArts
12-18-2007, 07:20 AM
JAM,

I'm sure Kevin deliberately scheduled this match for the day I have surgery, just one more example of his scheming! Doubt I am able to watch but it should be a very interesting match. My first thought is that I think Earl has an edge at the moment but then I remember that Johnny is very tough in this kind of setting. After due consideration I am firmly undecided. Johnny isn't going to give away much but Earl without the audience badgering might well catch a gear . . . . I hope I get to see it!

Hu

PS Not sure if it is my heart or my head but a little voice is saying Earl.

corvette1340
12-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Odds for the big IPT exhibition between Johnny and Earl:

Johnny Archer to win : 2 to 3
Earl Strickland to win : 5 to 4
Odds that KT steals someone credit card number and charges it for something other than what they pay for : 1 to 5
Odds that either Johnny or Earl actually get paid : 3 to 1
Odds that Deno touches someone inappropriately : 2 to 1
Over/Under on total viewers : 37.5
Odds that the stream can actually be viewed for free or without entering any personal information : 6 to 1

cajunbarboxplyr
12-18-2007, 07:23 AM
JAM,

I'm sure Kevin deliberately scheduled this match for the day I have surgery, just one more example of his scheming! Doubt I am able to watch but it should be a very interesting match. My first thought is that I think Earl has an edge at the moment but then I remember that Johnny is very tough in this kind of setting. After due consideration I am firmly undecided. Johnny isn't going to give away much but Earl without the audience badgering might well catch a gear . . . . I hope I get to see it!

Hu

Hu...... He zoned in on me aswell putting it on the same night I work my last shift before my 6 day vacation........................Just no hope anymore....

ALL BS aside............. This should be a good match!!!!!!!!!

axejunkie
I like Archer. Earl can be a real wreck in 8 ball as we saw in the IPT events. A mistake is punished more severely ala straight pool. His game and more importantly temperment are just better suited for 9 ball.

predator
I pick Johnny to win. His break is much better than Earl's. Don't get me wrong, Earl can whack them pretty good, but Johnny's control on break shot is just amazing.

JAM
12-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with you Jam as I feel Johnny is a huge favorite. In fact, I'm willing to bet you $5.00 and take Johnny to be paid the first time we meet in unmarked bills.

Ha! Take that!

LOL! :D You gotta bet, Pal! :p

I have a little bit of insider information. Earl unfortuately left his jump cue in Vegas, though it is in safe hands. However, it may be that Earl has a spare jump cue in his arsenal. ;)

Johnny, being the family man and the week before Christmas, I am sure would like to come home a winner, bringing home the bacon, so to speak! :)

Both players just pocketed about 8 dimes from Mosconi Cup, so they shouldn't be hurting in the pockets. I wonder if they will make a side wager with each other. A little birdie told me that Johnny has been barking in recent times.

Earl might catch himself the Big Kahuna if is able to escape the stinger of the Scorpian. :D

JAM

hemicudas
12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
With Mike and Grady in the booth, I am just waiting to see which one drops the F-bomb first! lol

Now David,,,,,,,,, You know Grady is the 8 to 1 favorite in that spot. And,,,,,,,,Johnny is the nuts.

hemicudas
12-18-2007, 07:28 AM
JAM,

Hu

All the luck in the world with the surgery SA.

worriedbeef
12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Earl unfortuately left his jump cue in Vegas, though it is in safe hands. However, it may be that Earl has a spare jump cue in his arsenal.

you gotta love earl with his new jump cue.

1. look at short jump cue like it's a piece of trash.
2. pick it up cursing it.
3. make amazing jump shot.
4. throw it to the ground like it's a piece of crap and continue to run out.

:D

JAM
12-18-2007, 07:39 AM
I just read that this is going to be one race to 15.

Hmm, food for thought! :p

JAM

SpiderWebComm
12-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Can't even believe anyone would want to watch it since no one is paid in full yet. It's like eating your young, IMO. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Cornerman
12-18-2007, 07:42 AM
I like Archer. Earl can be a real wreck in 8 ball as we saw in the IPT events. A mistake is punished more severely ala straight pool. His game and more importantly temperment are just better suited for 9 ball.
OTOH, Earl has a legitimate World 8-ball Championship title.

Fred

Tim-n-NM
12-18-2007, 07:47 AM
OTOH, Earl has a legitimate World 8-ball Championship title.

Fred

tap tap .... I like Earl in this one.

JAM
12-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I have seen both of these players up front and close in competition in the past.

Johnny Archer has always treated me kind when I have seen him on the tournament trail. Typical Southern gentleman with all the charm to go with it!

When he steps into the pit, though, his whole demeanor changes. It can be offsetting to his opponents sometimes. It is almost as if he commands control of the match right from the start, examining the racks, requesting re-racks, and it is well known that he's a real stickler for pristine and CLEAN table conditions. :o

Earl won't be affected by any of this because he knows Johnny. Johnny must bring his best game to the table in order to beat Earl. I'm still leaning towards Earl winning. :)

JAM

Travis Bickle
12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Any Earl money out there? Talk about an uphill battle! On one side you've got a tempermental ball-runner who gets bored playing defense in about 30 seconds and can handle maybe 2 bad rolls a set without having a meltdown. And he's playing a game that doesn't particularly suit him. Not to mention slow play puts him in a coma.

On the other you've got a big-breaking, painstaking, lint-picking grinder who can stay on an even keel for hours ...

Earl could make it entertaining, but can he get anywhere near the finish line?

3andstop
12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't know anything about all this "who owes who what" stuff. I'm not a part of any of whatever that is all about. In fact, I've never even heard of half these organizations. So it doesn't matter much to me in those terms.

Anyway, I won't be able to watch it live on that night, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will be available at later dates?

On a side note, I just love the idea of watching something other than 9 ball or 10 ball.

Both players are of course great players, but I just don't think that in an 8 ball race to 15, Earl can avoid those inner demons for the entire time. So, Archer has my vote.

JAM
12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
I bet all my vChips on Earl to win this event: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=81978

I hope he pulls through, so I don't have to look at a goose egg under my avatar for the next month.

BTW, not one person has made a vBet on Johnny so far, at the time of this writing.

All vChippes are bet on Earl! :D

JAM

ironman
12-18-2007, 08:08 AM
LOL! :D You gotta bet, Pal! :p

I have a little bit of insider information. Earl unfortuately left his jump cue in Vegas, though it is in safe hands. However, it may be that Earl has a spare jump cue in his arsenal. ;)

Johnny, being the family man and the week before Christmas, I am sure would like to come home a winner, bringing home the bacon, so to speak! :)

Both players just pocketed about 8 dimes from Mosconi Cup, so they shouldn't be hurting in the pockets. I wonder if they will make a side wager with each other. A little birdie told me that Johnny has been barking in recent times.

Earl might catch himself the Big Kahuna if is able to escape the stinger of the Scorpian. :D

JAM

I just texted Johnny and told hime of the bet and promised him a Jelly>
Ha!

JAM
12-18-2007, 08:10 AM
I just texted Johnny and told hime of the bet and promised him a Jelly>
Ha!

I just texted Earl and asked him if he wanted to buy half my bet, and he's in! :D

JAM

Aaron_S
12-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Considering Johnny's performance in the Reno Open, I would think that Earl really has his work cut out for him. If Earl could pull off a win here, though, it might just be the spark he needs to gain some confidence and get back into the swing of things. Beating a Johnny Archer who, as far as I can tell, is playing really well right now would be pretty huge for Earl, IMO. Regardless of the outcome, I think this match will be a great one, and the only way I could be more excited about it is if someone other than the IPT was putting it on.

I'm curious, though, as to what kind of relationship these two have. They obviously have played each other many times over the years, but I have never gotten a feel for whether they are friendly towards one another... or otherwise. Given Earl's propensity for making people either love him or hate him, I wonder which side of that fence Johnny is on?

Aaron

JAM
12-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Considering Johnny's performance in the Reno Open, I would think that Earl really has his work cut out for him. If Earl could pull off a win here, though, it might just be the spark he needs to gain some confidence and get back into the swing of things. Beating a Johnny Archer who, as far as I can tell, is playing really well right now would be pretty huge for Earl, IMO. Regardless of the outcome, I think this match will be a great one, and the only way I could be more excited about it is if someone other than the IPT was putting it on.

I'm curious, though, as to what kind of relationship these two have. They obviously have played each other many times over the years, but I have never gotten a feel for whether they are friendly towards one another... or otherwise. Given Earl's propensity for making people either love him or hate him, I wonder which side of that fence Johnny is on?

Aaron

I guess I would characterize it as I don't think the two of them would be inclined to sit down and break bread with each other. :eek:

JAM

Aaron_S
12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I guess I would characterize it as I don't think the two of them would be inclined to sit down and break bread with each other. :eek:

JAM

Hmmm. Interesting. Just one more reason to look forward to the match, lol. Thanks for the info JAM.

Aaron

Skess
12-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Why did they shut down the v-bookie thing so early. This match was closed on Dec. 7.

JAM
12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Is the v-bookie thing not working? I don't see any options to place bets.

I made my bet already. So it said I can only vote once.

I'm not sure why it isn't working.

No wonder all monies are on Earl only so far! :o

JAM

JAM
12-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Why did they shut down the v-bookie thing so early. This match was closed on Dec. 7.

It was open and closed on December 7th, too! :D :D :D

Looks like vBookie knew Earl was going to win and couldn't handle the action!

JAM

steveharn
12-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I want to watch but they haven't sent my code. Requested it several times. What can I do?

Tim-n-NM
12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know where this match will be played?

JAM
12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I want to watch but they haven't sent my code. Requested it several times. What can I do?

I just registered mine this morning, and I got a verification e-mail within minutes.

Check your browser when you go to your e-mail and see if it is allowing the verification e-mail to come back to you.

I'm in like Flynn. They got some videos of matches on that site that I was just checking out. Pretty cool stuff. It's all free as long as you can get registered.

JAM

ironman
12-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I just texted Earl and asked him if he wanted to buy half my bet, and he's in! :D

JAM

Oh sure, that was underhanded!!

beetle
12-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, I promised myself that I wouldn't pay to see any more matches with Earl, but since this is free.....

IMO, there is absolutely no way Earl will win this one. However, I wouldn't mind him proving me wrong, since that would be an exciting match in that case.

Even if Earl is playing well, the slow methodical, tedious play of Johnny Archer will get under his skin within a few games, then his play will deteriorate.

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
This is an "I don't care" match. There is NOTHING on the line here, only pride.
No bet, no money at stake. They should both play good, since there is zero pressure to win. Probably will go 15-14. Just watch!

JAM
12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
No bet, no money at stake. They should both play good, since there is zero pressure to win. Probably will go 15-14. Just watch!

Is that your final answer as the over/under? I'll bet it goes under! :D

JAM

Tim-n-NM
12-18-2007, 10:13 AM

I hope your right Jay.... I'm looking forward to it.

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Is that your final answer as the over/under? I'll bet it goes under! :D

JAM

Nothin' doin' Jam. You match up too good! :)

I will make the over/under 27 games.

cubc
12-18-2007, 10:33 AM
after watching earl get boen'ed he has a snowballs chance in hell that he'll beat johnny.

ribdoner
12-18-2007, 11:06 AM
W/O a shotclock I like JA, however, playing for funzeees, all bets are off...

!Smorgass Bored
12-18-2007, 11:12 AM

JAM

Maybe there's a 'shot clock' and Earl is bringing a pocket full of LINT.
Doug

SPINDOKTOR
12-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Archer is going to win, 3 games ahead.

olauzon
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Maybe there's a 'shot clock' and Earl is bringing a pocket full of LINT.
Doug

i've collected navel lint for a decade. i envision a knitted hat for culd winters.

i just thought i'd mention, lint is worth something :o

Vahmurka
12-18-2007, 11:43 AM
When I opened the thread about this match I was hoping it will be about the match solely, but turned out to be for IPT bashing :o Okay, let's chat in this one.
Could anyone piont me which cities live at Central Time? I need to know it to calculate what time it is gonna be in Moscow when it is 7:00 pm Central. Or compare it to Greenwich, lol. www.timeanddate.com is what I will use to compare the locations to Moscow
I remind that I hope someone to record the stream to share it later with those who won't be able to follow it live. As soon as it is free there is no copyright violation or whatever.

Cuebacca
12-18-2007, 11:49 AM
When I opened the thread about this match I was hoping it will be about the match solely, but turned out to be for IPT bashing :o Okay, let's chat in this one.
Could anyone piont me which cities live at Central Time? I need to know it to calculate what time it is gonna be in Moscow when it is 7:00 pm Central. Or compare it to Greenwich, lol. www.timeanddate.com is what I will use to compare the locations to Moscow
I remind that I hope someone to record the stream to share it later with those who won't be able to follow it live. As soon as it is free there is no copyright violation or whatever.

Chicago is Central Standard Time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=64

Bigjohn
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Can't even believe anyone would want to watch it since no one is paid in full yet. It's like eating your young, IMO. (sorry, couldn't resist)

If they want to play... and there's a match... I'm watchin it!

Vahmurka
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Chicago is Central Standard Timethanks for your help Cuebacca!

Rick S.
12-18-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm assuming the match is going to be on the 'nappy' cloth. If so, that favors Earl's big stroke.

Earl's dialing in with his new stick. Just changed shafts recently, and he told me he's making shots he's hasn't been able to make in 18 years. (B4 Cuetec) We went to the Cue Club after the finals on Sunday, you should have seen him playing rotation on those tight tables. The control he had was simply amazing. The shots he was making were SCARY good.

Rick S.

Cuebacca
12-18-2007, 12:31 PM
thanks for your help Cuebacca!

You're welcome. I would want to record it too, but haven't found a good stream capture program yet. I demoed about half a dozen of them for the Mosconi Cup because I couldn't watch live, but for some reason, none of them worked right. :confused: Eventually I hope to figure that out. LOL.

StraightPoolIU
12-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Grady Mathews is a formidable opponent who's level in stature regarding that variety of verbage is immeasurable under these unpredictable adverse conditions... lol

That's one of the more hilarious things I've read on here in a while. Subtle but very funny.

!Smorgass Bored
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Blackjack sed:
Grady Mathews is a formidable opponent who's level in stature regarding that variety of verbage is immeasurable under these unpredictable adverse conditions... lol

That's one of the more hilarious things I've read on here in a while. Subtle but very funny.

Anyway, the windup is, it's fraught with peril.
Doug
( Rep for Blackjack )

bigskyjake
12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Blackjack sed:

Anyway, the windup is, it's fraught with peril.
Doug
( Rep for Blackjack )

"And that's a thing of rare beauty"

Blackjack
12-18-2007, 01:48 PM
...so what the over/under on the F-bomb?

I see it like this

Johnny....10-1
Grady ..... 4-1
Earl.......... 3-1
Mike..........2-1

If Drago shows up for this one, the book is closed.

corvette1340
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
...so what the over/under on the F-bomb?

I see it like this

Johnny....10-1
Grady ..... 4-1
Earl.......... 3-1
Mike..........2-1

If Drago shows up for this one, the book is closed.

yeah , Johnny is probably the F-bomb underdog in this one since he probably got scolded for that one at the Mosconi Cup. I bet they all use the F-bomb if the feds that are hot on KT's trail show up.