PDA

View Full Version : Q: Anybody know of any celebrities that play pool ?

snyder1
12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
.. I've always been curious if any hollywood types or other celeb's are players. Only guy I've ever heard of thats an avid pool player is Tony Stewart, the Nascar driver. Anybody else ?

J

mosconiac
12-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Joe Rogan is defintely a pool guy. He even posts on here occasionally.

Scott Lee
12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Peter Falk, even with just one eye, was easily the best player in Hollywood. I presume he still plays, though I'm not sure. Paul Sorvino is also a good player. James Tolkan (Top Gun & Back To The Future series) is an avid fan, but just an amateur player.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Southpaw
12-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Michael Jordan plays pool and likes to gamble.

Southpaw

Aaron_S
12-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Seems like I heard somewhere that Kiefer Sutherland is a pool player.

Aaron

Cardinal_Syn
12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I've read somewhere that Jeannette Lee mentioned that Reggie Miller was the best celebrity she ever played? I could be wrong though

Jude Rosenstock
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Paul Sorvino is a regular

Roger Clemens used to come in with Andy Pettitte and Jorge Posada (of course, right after their steroid treatment)

Jerry Orbach and Cory Lidle were both excellent players. Orbach always contributed his time whenever there was a charity event and if you got a chance to see him play, you realized he definitely played at least A-speed for a time. I only met him a few brief times but he always appeared overwhelmingly patient and cordial with whomever recognized him.

Lidle, immediately following his trade to the Yankees became a regular at Amsterdam and befriended most of the club. A solid player, probably around B-speed, I met him because he walked up and introduced himself to me. It was obvious he learned how to quickly establish himself in a poolroom so he could get a good game when he was in town (not for money, just a good game). There was nothing "celebrity" about him. He was often seen either playing or hanging out at the rail, having a beer with the regulars. His nights would end getting dragged to a local diner and splitting cabs home. Very nice guy and still missed.

branpureza
12-18-2007, 10:29 AM
sarah mclaughlan plays pool. with a custom black boar....

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Manny Pacquiao, the great fighter, is an avid pool player and will definitely bet it up! If he ever comes to Derby City, look out!

JAM
12-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Definitely, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck play pool. Their production company, Project Greenlight, had a designated pool table room in the offices.

I have always hoped that these two would come up with a pool movie, like they did with Rounders and poker. It would definitely be a hit because they both love pool.

Ben Affleck's recent directorial debut in his movie, "Gone Baby Gone," has several pool-related tones: "...Shooting in real Boston locations, with bit players toughened in pool halls and saloons...."

JAM

Tim5000
12-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Wasn't Mario Lopez always with Paul Sorvino at the IPT? (I don't know if you can consider Mario a celebrity these days, but I thought I'd mention it)

Blackjack
12-18-2007, 10:50 AM
"The Bear" - Don Haskins - former head basketball coach for University of Texas - El Paso is one heck of a darn good 8 ball player (local celebrity - first coach to play an all-black squad and took them all the way in the 1966 National championship). Haskins was recently portrayed by Josh Lucas in the film "Glory Road", where if you look real close in one of the game scenes - I am one of those little dots in the crowd in section 23! :p

Back in the day, Haskins used to play pretty darn strong and frequent some of the bars along Mesa Street, sometimes cashing in on his celebrity to lure in unsuspecting fish. He is also a Brunswick table owner.
:p

poolhustler
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Kiefer Sutherland plays at Holywood Billiards.......

Russ

Jude Rosenstock
12-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Kiefer Sutherland plays at Holywood Billiards.......

Russ

Yeah, I saw Kiefer at Broadway one time. He had a whole entourage with him.

poolhustler
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Kevin Costner had a real nice / rare 1898 Brunswick-Balke-Collender table at his house in Nichols Canyon a while back. Don't know if he played much though.......

iba7467
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Southpaw

I would love that action, and then a round of one-on-one to let him win it back

Cuaba
12-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Will Smith plays pool. Last time I was at Blatt they were building a custom table for him.

SPINDOKTOR
12-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Manny Pacquiao, the great fighter, is an avid pool player and will definitely bet it up! If he ever comes to Derby City, look out!

Many is a great fighter, and I really enjoy watching him fight, doesnt he have a pool tat? I think I remeber seeing a Rack or something..

SPINDOKTOR

maxeypad2007
12-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Obviously paul newman. Tom Cruise also plays.

The guys from brooks and Dunn I've heard actually compete.

219Dave
12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Someone here mentioned Matt Damon. I was two years ahead of him in college, and played him a couple of times. Not to name drop or anything. He wasn't famous at the time--just a normal college kid.

Jeffrey Gale
12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Keith Richards from the Stones plays. He has got a beautiful R. Black cue.

tigerseye
12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
.. I've always been curious if any hollywood types or other celeb's are players. Only guy I've ever heard of thats an avid pool player is Tony Stewart, the Nascar driver. Anybody else ?

J

Tony Stewart and Shannon Daulton are good friends...Tony has been seen at some of Shannon's tourneys b4.

Craig Fales
12-18-2007, 12:32 PM
David Brenner plays the game...

deadwhak
12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
played a guitarist from the 80's band great white..beat him out of a couple hundred in sa tx and another time in olathe..

tigerseye
12-18-2007, 12:41 PM
A friend of mine was working in a pool hall one night,when a stranger walks in and asks for some action. My friend told him sure and took a break and played the guy. Well the stranger played fairly well when all of a sudden the stranger looked at him and said....you don't know who i am do you? My buddy thought he was being cocky and my buddy said well you don't know who i am do you! The guy said i ain't trying to start any trouble i was just sayin that u don't really don't know who i am. So the stranger walked my buddy over to the jukebox and pointed at an albumn cover and low and behold it was George Thorogood! At that monent George filled the jukebox up with money and sang every song on the albukmn for my buddy and other customers....That was the coolest thing i have ever heard b4.

Gregg
12-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Danny DeVito used to play pool at his father's pool hall, and I know I read he ran over 50 balls. That means he is a better actor and pool player than me, for sure.

JAM
12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Willie Nelson plays pool and enjoys it. When he grew up in Texas, his mom and stepfather owned a pool room, which is when he caught the pool bug.

The Willie Nelson and Family General Store was founded July 4th in 1979 at 915 North Gallatin Road in Madison, Tennessee.

Inside, you can see Willie's pool table from Pedernales, Texas.

Keith McCready has a fond memory of playing Willie Nelson many moons ago. He ran into him in a bar in Nashville and ended up going over to Willie's house. I wonder if this is the table they played on, depicted below!

Keith said Willie had a little stroke and could play! :D

JAM

DarkArtist
12-18-2007, 01:01 PM
It was an odd coincidence. Recently, I was searching the Az WTBs for South Wests and stumbled on the WTB thread for the black on black SW Joe Rogan ended up buying. A few days after that, a friend forwarded me the YouTube video of Joe reacting to the 2girls1cup video. And later that night while I was shooting at Hollywood Billiards Joe walked in with that very BonB SW for a lesson with Max Eberle.

the420trooper
12-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Willie Nelson plays pool and enjoys it. When he grew up in Texas, his mom and stepfather owned a pool room, which is when he caught the pool bug.

The Willie Nelson and Family General Store was founded July 4th in 1979 at 915 North Gallatin Road in Madison, Tennessee.

Keith McCready has a fond memory of playing Willie Nelson many moons ago. He ran into him in a bar in Nashville and ended up going over to Willie's house. I wonder if this is the table they played on, depicted below!

JAM

I'm sure that Keith and Willie had plenty in common; wish I could've been there....;)

hemicudas
12-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Frank Zappa's and The Mothers Of Invention percussionist, Ed Marimba plays pretty well. In fact, he posts here on AZ.

demonrho
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Jimmy Smits used to come a lot to House of Billiards in Santa Monica. I've spotted Forrest Whittaker, Chevy Chase, Tracey Ullman, and little Gary Coleman every once in awhile playing there.

Ralph Kramden
12-18-2007, 01:23 PM
The Rat Pack... Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop.

But of course they now play in the big poolhall in the sky.

Andrew Manning
12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't think anybody's mentioned Jackie Gleason, but supposedly he used to be an extremely strong amateur 14.1 player.

I saw a video on YouTube or maybe Google video a while back of Manny Pacquiao shooting some trick shots, and it was Max Eberle holding the camera. Manny seemed to have a good stroke and definitely knew some shots.

-Andrew

Kyros
12-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Paul Sorvino is a regular

Roger Clemens used to come in with Andy Pettitte and Jorge Posada (of course, right after their steroid treatment)

Jerry Orbach and Cory Lidle were both excellent players. Orbach always contributed his time whenever there was a charity event and if you got a chance to see him play, you realized he definitely played at least A-speed for a time. I only met him a few brief times but he always appeared overwhelmingly patient and cordial with whomever recognized him.

Lidle, immediately following his trade to the Yankees became a regular at Amsterdam and befriended most of the club. A solid player, probably around B-speed, I met him because he walked up and introduced himself to me. It was obvious he learned how to quickly establish himself in a poolroom so he could get a good game when he was in town (not for money, just a good game). There was nothing "celebrity" about him. He was often seen either playing or hanging out at the rail, having a beer with the regulars. His nights would end getting dragged to a local diner and splitting cabs home. Very nice guy and still missed.

I was going to say Jerry Orbach. There is one episode of law n order where he "undercover" and it shows him finishing off a rack. You could tell that he was or had been a serious player at some point in time and that it wasn't just camera tricks.

Mike Templeton
12-18-2007, 02:16 PM

JAM
Jam,

I read one of Keith's articles in one of the pool magazines about his encounter with Willie. It was an instructional piece, and I think the gist of the article was that Willie left himself with both cue ball and 8-ball on the rail, and how to handle this situation. I love Willie, and thought it would have been nice to be there with what I'm sure was great banter and stories told.
-
-
-
As far as Keifer Sutherland, he came into the RoughHouse, an old poolroom from the 30s in Abbeville, SC, with his girlfriend at the time, Julia Roberts. It was when she was filming one of her movies there, "Sleeping with the Enemy". They were both very arrogant from the time they walked in the door, and we couldn't get Keifer to play a game with us. Julia said later that she hated Abbeville, but she never was anything but a b1tch the entire time she was there. We were all very friendly when we tried to get them to play pool with us, but I'm sure neither Julia nor Keifer were comfortable in a small southern town of about 2500 folks.

And I'm sure it was the first time either had been into any establishment even close to the RoughHouse. It is what many know as an "old-time" poolroom. It still looks like this today. Here's a link: http://www.roughdogs.com/

Mike

demonrho
12-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh, and let's not forget Keone Young, the guy who played Wu on Deadwood. He could give most of you 9-7 and the breaks and still be stealin' ;)

J

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Keith Richards from the Stones plays. He has got a beautiful R. Black cue.

The Stones hired David Howard to accompany then on their big tour across the USA about 15 years ago. Of course a pool table traveled with them.

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I was going to say Jerry Orbach. There is one episode of law n order where he "undercover" and it shows him finishing off a rack. You could tell that he was or had been a serious player at some point in time and that it wasn't just camera tricks.

Many many years ago he was known as Jerry "The Actor" around NYC pool halls. I played him a few times, for some small cheese, before he was famous. He came to the Peter Vitalie tournament in L.A. in 1987 and sat down on the podium next to me. I asked him if he remembered me from "Guys and Dolls" and he just laughed. I don't think he did.

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Jimmy Caan has always loved to play pool and he will gamble...cheap. I used to give him the 7 Ball and play sets for $50. That's almost 30 years ago.

Scott Lee
12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Newman learned a little bit from Mosconi in 1961. Enough that he didn't need much of a tuneup from Sigel for COM in 1986. Cruise, on the other hand, couldn't play a LICK (the scene where he turns his head to look at Keith, while shooting, took TWO DAYS to film, because Tom kept missing)...and still can't! He does not play pool...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Obviously paul newman. Tom Cruise also plays.

CrownCityCorey
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Southpaw

Gary Payton plays, according to Gary, better than Michael Jordan.

CrownCityCorey
12-18-2007, 03:14 PM
played a guitarist from the 80's band great white..beat him out of a couple hundred in sa tx and another time in olathe..

His name is Mark Kendall. I played him once or twice.

diller47
12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
ill put my money[actually his lol] on KID POKER...... Danny Negreanu against any of these scrubs that have benn mentiond here.the kid can handle a cue and has a very nice stroke.

Jaden
12-18-2007, 03:21 PM

When Tommy baker still owned Baker's billiards in Fontana, he played in the tournament there often. He wasn't a bad player at all from what I remember....

Scott Lee
12-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Jaden...Is this the same Tommy Baker that now lives in Salt Lake City? If it's the same Tommy, he still plays pretty good and loves to bet it up (He'd be late 40's or early 50's now). I've played him a few times in tourneys in MT and ID.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

When Tommy baker still owned Baker's billiards in Fontana, he played in the tournament there often. He wasn't a bad player at all from what I remember....

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM

He plays pretty good!

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM
ill put my money[actually his lol] on KID POKER...... Danny Negreanu against any of these scrubs that have benn mentiond here.the kid can handle a cue and has a very nice stroke.

He ain't that good!

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Jaden...Is this the same Tommy Baker that now lives in Salt Lake City? If it's the same Tommy, he still plays pretty good and loves to bet it up (He'd be late 40's or early 50's now). I've played him a few times in tourneys in MT and ID.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Same guy Scott. He grew up with Keith and they played pretty close when they were young.

JoeyInCali
12-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Steven Seagal plays pool. Collects sneake petes. No collars, something that really looks like a house cue.
Bruce Willis plays straight pool. Has an old Palmer to boot.
Don't ask where cuz I dunno.

Cuaba
12-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I read an interview with Noah Wyle where he said he had recently played in a pool tournament. That was probably ten+ years ago.

hardydson
12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
I think Noah Wylie from E.R. plays and Billy Bob aka..Karl likes to play also

wayne
12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Jam,

I read one of Keith's articles in one of the pool magazines about his encounter with Willie. It was an instructional piece, and I think the gist of the article was that Willie left himself with both cue ball and 8-ball on the rail, and how to handle this situation. I love Willie, and thought it would have been nice to be there with what I'm sure was great banter and stories told.
-
-
-
As far as Keifer Sutherland, he came into the RoughHouse, an old poolroom from the 30s in Abbeville, SC, with his girlfriend at the time, Julia Roberts. It was when she was filming one of her movies there, "Sleeping with the Enemy". They were both very arrogant from the time they walked in the door, and we couldn't get Keifer to play a game with us. Julia said later that she hated Abbeville, but she never was anything but a b1tch the entire time she was there. We were all very friendly when we tried to get them to play pool with us, but I'm sure neither Julia nor Keifer were comfortable in a small southern town of about 2500 folks.

And I'm sure it was the first time either had been into any establishment even close to the RoughHouse. It is what many know as an "old-time" poolroom. It still looks like this today. Here's a link: http://www.roughdogs.com/

Mike

Keifer won't be playing any pool at least for the next few weeks because he is locked up in the Glendale, California jail.

One of the last times I saw him in Hollywood Billiards he was talking to an old time poolplayer called Hollywood Jack. Jack was dying and Keifer spent quite a bit of time with him.

Years prior Keifer had offered to buy Hollywood Jack a new car when Jack was a bit down on his luck. Jack refused the new car but did buy a big old used car which Keifer paid for just because he liked Hollywood Jack.

The last time I saw Keifer, a regular in Hollywood Billiards had a cue that used to belong to Keifer and he wanted to ask Keifer to sign the cue but was a little nervous to go ask. He went over and Keifer stopped playing to oblige him with his autograph on the cue.

219Dave
12-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Someone somewhere told me that they'd sold a cue to Noah Wylie, and I think George Clooney too.

Jaden
12-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Yeah that's Tommy. He used to own Baker's billiards in Fontana, Ca, and then I believe he sold it to his brother and moved to Salt Lake. This was ack in the nineties. He's a strong player too, but I was referring to the guitarist from great white who played in Tommy's tournaments back in the mid nineties. Yeah it was about that time that I saw Johnny Archer lose 30 grand to Francisco Galindo who used to own Gold ball billiards in San Bernardino. Those were the times for California pool. My buddy owned a pool hall in Redlands and I ran the place during the day and played all day and then his brother would come in and run the place in the evenings and on days when we were picking up, delivering or setting up pool tables and we would play in every tournament around so cal in those days. We rarely went up to hard times but we did that on occasion too. Then I had some personal problems that made me give up the game for about seven or eight years and now I'm starting to come back. IT feels good to finally be getting back into stroke.....

poolhustler
12-18-2007, 04:41 PM

TOO FUNNY!!!!! My brother is married to Marks ex-wife. Mark was a decent shot, but a total loser in all other aspects (the important ones) of life.

Russ......

Fatboy
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Seems like I heard somewhere that Kiefer Sutherland is a pool player.

Aaron

thats true has been for along time

will8834
12-18-2007, 05:16 PM
James Garner is supposed to be a top notch player.

Drew
12-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Definitely, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck play pool. Their production company, Project Greenlight, had a designated pool table room in the offices.

I have always hoped that these two would come up with a pool movie, like they did with Rounders and poker. It would definitely be a hit because they both love pool.

Ben Affleck's recent directorial debut in his movie, "Gone Baby Gone," has several pool-related tones: "...Shooting in real Boston locations, with bit players toughened in pool halls and saloons...."

JAM

Ben Affleck does not play. Or at least he doesn't play well. Just watch Smokin' Aces and you'll see what I'm talking about.

beetle
12-18-2007, 08:18 PM
He ain't that good!

What do you mean? I just saw him on a commercial doing a jump shot and everything!!! :p (referring to Negreanu)

8ballEinstein
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Let's not forget Vanna White. During an interview about 15 years ago, she mentioned that she enjoys playing pool. My friend and author, Jack Koehler, heard this and sent her one of his instructional pool books. In return, she thanked with a saucy autographed photo of herself.

Shortly afterward I visit with Jack at his home and he proudly shows me the picture. My jaw just dropped since she looked SMOKIN' HOT! Jack put the picture down on the coffee table and we continued our conversation but I couldn't take my eyes off of her. After a while Jack had to put the picture away so I wouldn't be so distracted. I wish I could've seen her play!

Jaden
12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
What do you mean? I just saw him on a commercial doing a jump shot and everything!!! :p (referring to Negreanu)

What he means is that there are several people that have already been named that play at shortstop or did play atleast or better, so your statement that negreanu is better than anyone yet mentioned is wrong....

pooltableproCP
12-18-2007, 09:17 PM
A while back Wesley Snipes and Patrick Swayze were shooting a crappy movie in our neck of the woods. Both wandered in to the local hall in the middle of the afternoon and asked to play at our table to keep a low profile. Wesley knew his way around the table pretty good! They bought the beers and the table time and signed a few bar napkins for us!

trustyrusty
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
What he means is that there are several people that have already been named that play at shortstop or did play atleast or better, so your statement that negreanu is better than anyone yet mentioned is wrong....

Daniel's not even the best shooter amoung poker bracelet winners....I want a shot at him on the links :D

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Do you have any idea how many takes it took him to make that mediocre jump shot? Take another look, the cue ball just squirts over, and spins sideways to boot. He barely makes it. He has zero chance with John Hennigan, another bracelet winner.

Mark Kendall from Great White would rob him. I'd even put Rogan in the box against Daniel. Start practicing Joe. I have a game for you. :D

trustyrusty
12-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Do you have any idea how many takes it took him to make that mediocre jump shot? Take another look, the cue ball just squirts over, and spins sideways to boot. He barely makes it. He has zero chance with John Hennigan, another bracelet winner.

Mark Kendall from Great White would rob him. I'd even put Rogan in the box against Daniel. Start practicing Joe. I have a game for you. :D

Hennigan was who I was thinking of...just wasn't naming names ;)

jay helfert
12-18-2007, 10:18 PM
James Garner is supposed to be a top notch player.

A zillion years ago when I was a student at Oklahoma U. I used to shoot pool with Jame's brother (a twin I think). He drove a beer truck as I recall. He was a decent player, but he told me that his brother (James) was the best player in town (Norman, OK) when he was a young man.

beetle
12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Take another look, the cue ball just squirts over, and spins sideways to boot. He barely makes it. He has zero chance with John Hennigan, another bracelet winner.

Yeah, I noticed that too, he was so far to the side that he got a lucky partial masse-jump with help from the rail at the end!

Jaden
12-18-2007, 10:22 PM

From what I remember of Mark, he would probably trash the majority of the other people mentioned, atleast if he still plays like he did in the mid nineties.

coreyh
12-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Here's Aerosmith's Joe Perry and his custom Blue Grass Cue - http://www.poolcues.net/DMinor/joecue.html

RunoutalloverU
12-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Bill Parcells was referred to on Mike and Mike in the morning as a pool player. So he must play enough to earn that moniker.

Mark Griffin
12-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I have (indirectly) sold tables to both George Clooney and Noah Wiley.

The ANchorage Billiard Palace had many antiques. Table 16 was originally a 10' medalist (circa 1928) snooker table. I sent it to California with Bob Bebb when he had another 6 x 12 to bring to us. (We had two 6 x 12 mahagony Klings - sequential serial numers no less).

The 10' snooker was sold to Noah Wiley - but I think it was converted to a 10' pool table.

George Clooney bought a 9' Medalist that I acquired from Buck Mcmullen (down by Odessa, Texas) and that was in play at Gaslamp Billiard Palace (4th & J) in San Diego. We only kept the table there about a year. I left there and was sold to Clooney (by Bob Bebb) about 1998 or so. Bob said Clooney was a joy to be around - no stupid questions etc.

I have no idea how they play - remember they were both in the same TV program then.

Mark Griffin
BCA Pool League

yobagua
12-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Surely you must remember Ye Billiard Den in the 60's, Jay, when Telly Savalas use to come in with his Hoppe cue. Danny Diliberto gave Jimmy Caan the 7. I played Richard Pryor myself a game of 14.1. Neil Young use to come in too. A lot of stars passed through there. Including Phil Spector. Jimmy Garner was there too.

Fleece3
12-19-2007, 01:30 AM

J

Billy Bob Thornton plays VERY WELL. Even has a custom cue. I have played with him at ABC on several occasions. Because we creep in NO ONE reconizes him. He REALLY wanted to meet Janette Lee. One night we were there, and so was she. I didn't make the introduction because he thought it would bring attention to the match we were playing.

Joe Rogan
12-19-2007, 02:13 AM

I've actually been playing quite a bit lately. I've been taking lessons from Max Eberlee too. It's all starting to come back to me :)

cuetechasaurus
12-19-2007, 04:43 AM
Steven Seagal plays pool. Collects sneake petes. No collars, something that really looks like a house cue.
Bruce Willis plays straight pool. Has an old Palmer to boot.
Don't ask where cuz I dunno.

One time Steven Seagal came into the poolroom with a disguise on. He challenged everyone in the room to play. He lost the first game and went around snapping everyone's necks. I was lucky to escape.

hemicudas
12-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Surely you must remember Ye Billiard Den in the 60's, Jay, when Telly Savalas use to come in with his Hoppe cue. Danny Diliberto gave Jimmy Caan the 7. I played Richard Pryor myself a game of 14.1. Neil Young use to come in too. A lot of stars passed through there. Including Phil Spector. Jimmy Garner was there too.

I have run with a couple of players who knew James Garner's speed. They both seem to think he played good enough to have made it on the road. How bout it, Yo? Make an even game with Garner and, you pick a player who's speed I know.

diller47
12-19-2007, 02:44 PM

HE [THE KID] MIGHT LOSE TO JOHNNY WORLD....BUT WE ARE TALKING CELEBS ....NOW EVERYONE THATS EVERY SEEN A POOL TABLE SEEMS TO BE GETTING MENTIONED HERE.........PS DANNY PLAYED POOL AS HIS MAIN GAME TILL HE DECIDED POKER WAS MORE PROFITABLE SO WHY YOU DISRESPECTING THE ''KID ''IF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HIS BACKGROUNG/.....JUST A HUMBLE QUESTION SIR

crawfish
12-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Charles Barkley used to come into Fat Daddy's Bar every time he played golf in the Jimmy V classic. He would party down, bro. I would scream for him to get in the ring and play a little every time he came in. Never would, though.

Jaden
12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
HE [THE KID] MIGHT LOSE TO JOHNNY WORLD....BUT WE ARE TALKING CELEBS ....NOW EVERYONE THATS EVERY SEEN A POOL TABLE SEEMS TO BE GETTING MENTIONED HERE.........PS DANNY PLAYED POOL AS HIS MAIN GAME TILL HE DECIDED POKER WAS MORE PROFITABLE SO WHY YOU DISRESPECTING THE ''KID ''IF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HIS BACKGROUNG/.....JUST A HUMBLE QUESTION SIR

Danny's one of my favorite poker players and I even played with him in one of the world series events and I don't know what his game is; however, I do know how Mark plays or atleast how he played and in the mid nineties he was an A- to an A player and as far as celebs go I would probably put him in the higher rankings and place my money on him, IF I gambled that is...hahaha

crawfish
12-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Danny's one of my favorite poker players and I even played with him in one of the world series events and I don't know what his game is; however, I do know how Mark plays or atleast how he played and in the mid nineties he was an A- to an A player and as far as celebs go I would probably put him in the higher rankings and place my money on him, IF I gambled that is...hahaha
Played in at least two tourneys against Johnny World. Funny dude. FYI, he's capable of knocking off any, there I said it, ANY top player in a race to nine. He REALLY played. Steady and good for the cash.

ragbug74
12-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Huh? Did he just insinuate Jay doesn't know much about players' speed and road players? Hey Jay, maybe they'll have a program available at the DCC with player's speeds listed so you don't make this mistake again. (LOL!) See you in Louisville!

diller47
12-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Huh? Did he just insinuate Jay doesn't know much about players' speed and road players? Hey Jay, maybe they'll have a program available at the DCC with player's speeds listed so you don't make this mistake again. (LOL!) See you in Louisville!
i was saying if he doesnt know the kids background ......why pick him apart just to be mean.......HE wasnt there and doesnt know how many takes it took to do the shots...............p.s. johnny world is also a top player who switched to where the money is.................POKER.................JMHO

punter
12-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Frank Zappa's and The Mothers Of Invention percussionist, Ed Marimba plays pretty well. In fact, he posts here on AZ.

Nice pic, Doc !! Did you stomp pumpkins in Austin, TX ? Any stories
about those days Doc ?

Blackjack
12-22-2007, 06:43 AM
What about Bobby Bellande (Jean Robert Bellande from Survivor China) - I hear he plays very well.

memikey
12-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Kevin Trudeau said in 2006 that he has a personal best run of over 200 balls in straight pool :)

Drew
12-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Kevin Trudeau said in 2006 that he has a personal best run of over 200 balls in straight pool :)

It will be in his new book. The Straight Pool Secrets They Don't Want You to Know About.

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 08:28 AM

And Don Johnson and Don Adams and Vince Edwards to name a few more. Years later Sean Walsh and I wrote the dialogue in the opening scene of "Harley Davidson And The Marlboro Man", and otherwise totally forgettable movie. It is a pool scene in a bar and Don plays with a cue I gave him. I'd love to see someone post a link to that scene on here. I only saw it once.

I never played pool with Telly but we did sit across from each other in a 15-30 Hold'em game more than once at the Bicycle Club. Ray Liotta used to play in the same game as well. I've sat next to Ben Affleck and Tobey Maguire in poker tournaments also. Toby is a strong player!

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 08:34 AM

I know a little more about his "background" than you think. I've played poker with him and we talked about his pool game. Other people who know him from Toronto (like Alex) have a pretty good read on his speed.

fan-tum
12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm sure a "knowing" smile came to the faces of anyone who knows Mark Kendall,lead guitarist with 'Great White'. There's no competition. He's far and away the best celeb. player. He's an A- or b++ by Hard Times(L.A.) standards.

Blackjack
12-22-2007, 08:35 AM
It will be in his new book. The Straight Pool Secrets They Don't Want You to Know About.

Actually, that is going to be the title of my Straight Pool book.

Seriously.
:eek:

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
What about Bobby Bellande (Jean Robert Bellande from Survivor China) - I hear he plays very well.

I've gambled with Bobby at One Pocket, 100 and 200 a game on a very tight table. We are 1 and 1. I was giving him 9-8, that's all. He is also an excellent high limit poker player and has made several six figure scores in poker tournaments. Bobby is the real deal.

Blackjack
12-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I've gambled with Bobby at One Pocket, 100 and 200 a game on a very tight table. We are 1 and 1. I was giving him 9-8, that's all. He is also an excellent high limit poker player and has made several six figure scores in poker tournaments. Bobby is the real deal.

It was kind of sad that Bobby got played like that on Survivor - from a 5'2" 125 pound airline steward... not once, but twice.

:confused:

On the finale show, Bobby said his poker game has been strengthened by the experience on Survivor ... he said his reads are stronger than ever. I like Bobby - he's quite a character - larger than life - and a lot of fun to watch him operate when he's "on".

allie
12-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Emmanuel Lewis (of the 80's sitcom "Webster") occasionally pops into the local poolrooms of Atlanta. One very friendly guy...

diller47
12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I know a little more about his "background" than you think. I've played poker with him and we talked about his pool game. Other people who know him from Toronto (like Alex) have a pretty good read on his speed.

i forgot im speaking to the world renown jay......maybe we could play some heads up hold -em for a few hours
then get on the felt were you could spot me the orange crush;5 ahead my break and ball in hand what ya think can that happen????

Jaden
12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm sure a "knowing" smile came to the faces of anyone who knows Mark Kendall,lead guitarist with 'Great White'. There's no competition. He's far and away the best celeb. player. He's an A- or b++ by Hard Times(L.A.) standards.

I hope this thread doesn't kill any possible action for Mark....

I think he even beat out Tommy Baker in his tournament on one or two occasions and Tommy was absolutely no SLOUCH on the table...

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
i forgot im speaking to the world renown jay......maybe we could play some heads up hold -em for a few hours
then get on the felt were you could spot me the orange crush;5 ahead my break and ball in hand what ya think can that happen????

Thanks for the compliment. "World Renowned" has a nice ring to it. :D

Too bad it won't get you the 5 ball. Although I like the way you match up, reminds me of some other guys I know from the poolroom. They don't want the nuts, they want the DEAD NUTS!

I'm not much for heads up Hold'em. I prefer a full table. I will play some Gin Rummy or Tonk with you though. You can name the bet. See you at DCC. I'll bring a deck.

diller47
12-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the compliment. "World Renowned" has a nice ring to it. :D

Too bad it won't get you the 5 ball. Although I like the way you match up, reminds me of some other guys I know from the poolroom. They don't want the nuts, they want the DEAD NUTS!

I'm not much for heads up Hold'em. I prefer a full table. I will play some Gin Rummy or Tonk with you though. You can name the bet. See you at DCC. I'll bring a deck.
jay...glad you saw my humor
ps first time i heard tonk mentioned in years

good luck at the dcc

diller

burns420
12-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Slash from guns and roses is/was a decent player. when GnR was big my cousin saw him in a bar in dublin, ireland loading a table full of change. he says he won more than a few games that night to.

ribdoner
12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
OJ's game of choice is cut-throat...

randyg
12-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I have run with a couple of players who knew James Garner's speed. They both seem to think he played good enough to have made it on the road. How bout it, Yo? Make an even game with Garner and, you pick a player who's speed I know.

In the late 60's I was living in Orange County,Ca. One day at Norwalk Billiards in walks James Garner. We play games against each other for a couple of days. What a great guy. He played at a AA speed.....SPF=randyg

Fatboy
12-23-2007, 09:14 AM
What about Bobby Bellande (Jean Robert Bellande from Survivor China) - I hear he plays very well.0.

he plays good, were close at 9ball(right now sisne I have been playing I'm no-doubt the favorite)

He drills me at 1P 10/6 I lose every game @ 10/5 I'm ok, I forgot how to play 1P.

I beat him easily at 8 ball.

I spoke to him on the phone yesterday, before I went to Brazil 5 weeks ago we were playing every 2 weeks, We hang out more than play pool. He is a good friend. Were suppost to play today.

Str8PoolPlayer
12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
On Biography this morning, they featured Perry Como and stated that he was an accomplished player who regularly played Jackie Gleason (they lived near each other) and also played Willie Mosconi a few times (at home in Florida) ... No way to verify it, but it was interesting none-the-less ...