PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines monthly tournament details?

Mike B.
12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Does anyone have details for the monthly tournament at Big Dog Billiards in Des Moines, IA that is starting in January?

jingle
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Does anyone have details for the monthly tournament at Big Dog Billiards in Des Moines, IA that is starting in January?

Do you mean this one Mike? (see attachment)

mikeiniowa
12-28-2007, 01:41 PM
thats the one. jan 5th. noon sign up and 1 pm calcutta. should be a good one as the last one had over 90 players.

mike

GDL2000
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Is this every month? If so, can you post the dates/times for Feb? Thanks!

mikeiniowa
01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
yep every month. last month we had 42 players. Next month the date is FEB 9th. 12 sign up and 1pm calcutta.

I have changed the entry fee structure.

$0 entry + $10 green fee for C players
$10 entry + $10 green fee for b players
$20 entry + $10 green fee for a players
$30 entry + $10 green fee for aa players
$40 entry + $10 green fee for aaa players

the format is the same. Race to 5 alt breaks bca rules. 100% payback and the bar adds the green fee back in as the added money.

any questions call my cell

mike athens

Jallan
01-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Mike A.
Maybe a stupid question; is this open to anyone or do you have to be sanctioned with a specific leauge?
As well, how would the handicap be adjusted, set if you were an unknown. Thanks.
Jered

Jallan
01-30-2008, 11:44 AM
bump.......

mikeiniowa
01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Mike A.
Maybe a stupid question; is this open to anyone or do you have to be sanctioned with a specific leauge?
As well, how would the handicap be adjusted, set if you were an unknown. Thanks.
Jered

this is open to all players. there is no handicap everybody races to 5. it is just that a c player gets in for only 10 bucks and aa gets in for 40. the risk is higher for the better players and the lesser players get to play better players on the cheap.

Jallan
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
I understand; my question is who says who is an a or a c?

mikeiniowa
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I understand; my question is who says who is an a or a c?

around here it is based on known ability. if u are from out of town and nobody knows u, i'll go on what u tell me. if somebody misrepresents, they are cheating the prize fund but does not increase their odds of winning.

GDL2000
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
so generally, would you say that if you're looking one or two balls ahead, you're a c player, if you're looking at the whole rack, you're an aa player. Or is it just how much dough you have that weekend.....i.e. c players running racks.

T-dog
01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
if somebody misrepresents, they are cheating the prize fund but does not increase their odds of winning.

I guess that makes sense, I never thought if it that way. Like that alot better than under rating a player and letting them have better odds to win.

T-dog
01-30-2008, 03:22 PM
so generally, would you say that if you're looking one or two balls ahead, you're a c player, if you're looking at the whole rack, you're an aa player. Or is it just how much dough you have that weekend.....i.e. c players running racks.

If I dont know you and you live in des moines your a c player, how do you like them apples?

GDL2000
01-31-2008, 07:49 AM
sounds like you know the area's players pretty well.

mikepage
01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
If I dont know you and you live in des moines your a c player, how do you like them apples?

I think what some people in other parts of the country don't realize is that things are a little different here in fly-over country.

So if you actually "fly over" Des Moines (or Fargo) you will see a concentration of lights or buildings that is several miles wide with some tall buildings in the middle. But as you go 20, 50, 100 miles in any direction you see squares a mile on a side of different shades of green and brown, and occasional snake of a river, and maybe some lakes.

What that means is that unless there are big incentives, we're more-or-less closed pool communities.

Are there B-level or even A-level players in Des Moines that Mike-in-Iowa doesn't know? I'm sure there are. There are no doubt some people who can string a few racks together who Mike doesn't know. Importantly though, these are not people hiding in the weeds; these are people who have moved there who have been busy with work and family or people who used to play in tournaments 20 years ago somewhere else or something like that.

If those few people in the area get in for ten bucks less than they should, it's really no big deal. You got them out, and hopefully they'll keep coming.

Big Dog--thanks in large part to Mike-in-Iowa-- has really done a good job with their weekly and monthly tournaments. By the way, a little birdie told me Mike is hitting the balls pretty straight these days ;-).

GDL2000
01-31-2008, 09:01 AM
these are people who have moved there who have been busy with work and family or people who used to play in tournaments 20 years ago somewhere else

dude, you're scaring me. Can you predict when I'll be able to retire too?:D

mikeiniowa
01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
ratings are all subjective. to have a fairly accurate system you would need 10-15 different ratings. Impossible. I thought by doing it this way nobody could sneak in, have less controversy,and most important have an above average prize fund befitting a monthly tourney.

If somebody comes in and I do not know the line on I will call around. There are knowledgeable players in minn, sd, neb, and the QC that I could call to get the scoop. But the nice thing about this tourney is if somebody underrates themselves they are not stealing the tourney only shorting the prize fund and if they need to lie to keep the extra 10-20 bucks they must need it.

That being said, I would be very surprised if I did not know all the A players in town. To be an A player you would have to play every once and a while and somebody would know you. Now an exception would be somebody who has recently moved in the area like the guy from SC and the guy from Missouri. But if these guys can play I wish they would come out more often. (like on Sundays)

I would like to thank everybody for supporting their local tourneys and hope to see you all at Big Dogs Feb 9th at noon.

mike athens

mikeiniowa
01-31-2008, 09:15 AM

since I have only a few levels to go on I will ask these questions:

Have you ever ran a table? (c)
have you ever ran 3-4 tables?(a)
more than 3-4? AA
everybody else(85%) would be a B

that may be over simplified but with only 4 skill levels to go on, I like it.

GDL2000
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Since you guys don't know me, and this conversation seems to be dominated by DSM'ers (and or Iowans), I'll intoduce myself informally before I (hopefully) show up and do so formally next Saturday.

My name is Jay, and I've lived in DSM for about 2.5 years. Before here, I lived in the QC since about '99. I haven't played much competitive pool since about 99, when I moved to the QC from Columbia, MO. Good action down there--believe you me. Since then, I've been doing things like getting divorced, getting remarried, adjusting to living with a stepchild, and playing a lot of disc golf. I've been playing about 15-25 dg tournaments a year throughout the Midwest for the last 7 or 8 years, hence my sticks have gotten a bit dusty......and my game probably a little rusty. This long cold winter has definately not found me out at Grandview all that often, and has gotten me thinking about playing some pool again.

Thanks for the info fellas.

Anybody ever go down to RR for the free pool on Saturdays (11-6)? I did that pretty frequently last winter (got a buddy that used to work there), but haven't this year at all, I'm not even sure if they still offer it. (Not that their tables are with a %hit, but free time is free time.)

Jallan
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
since I have only a few levels to go on I will ask these questions:

Have you ever ran a table? (c)
have you ever ran 3-4 tables?(a)
more than 3-4? AA
everybody else(85%) would be a B

that may be over simplified but with only 4 skill levels to go on, I like it.

Not to drag this out but I am curious, I play in the CP leauge in Ames. I think you have popped your head in and out as well. I am floating around the mid 40's ranking wise. I have strung 2 racks together, never 3. I am averageing an ERO about 1 in 13 racks. This is of course BB 8 ball. 9 foot nine I can clear about 1 in 10 racks and have strung 2 as well. BB 9 ball I have put together 3 but the middle rack was short and the other 2 were as text book as you can get; stop, stop, stop, out.... I would guess to be at a B.

T-dog
02-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Not to drag this out but I am curious, I play in the CP leauge in Ames. I think you have popped your head in and out as well. I am floating around the mid 40's ranking wise. I have strung 2 racks together, never 3. I am averageing an ERO about 1 in 13 racks. This is of course BB 8 ball. 9 foot nine I can clear about 1 in 10 racks and have strung 2 as well. BB 9 ball I have put together 3 but the middle rack was short and the other 2 were as text book as you can get; stop, stop, stop, out.... I would guess to be at a B.

Come on out and play.........

Tuesdays B and C 8-ball tourney is a good start and then follow that up with a sunday 9-ball tourney.

Darth
02-01-2008, 06:27 PM
One of my brothers-in-law lives off E Euclid. I may be visiting him shortly but if I need chains to get there, I'm screwed. This Florida boy likes to travel light. If I'm in the area, I'll stop by and say hello.

Jallan
02-01-2008, 06:50 PM
My new boss just moved here from Florida... It is his first taste of a mid-west winter. He was lucky we told him he needed to take the water out of his radiator and use anti-freeze/coolant. We have been in a hell of a cold snap, as your brother in law can tell you. The new boss comes in every day in a worse mood. Good for a laugh though. I won't even go into driving on ice.

T-dog
02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Chains you dont need no stinking chains.

.One of my brothers-in-law lives off E Euclid. I may be visiting him shortly but if I need chains to get there, I'm screwed. This Florida boy likes to travel light. If I'm in the area, I'll stop by and say hello.

GDL2000
02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
LOL, he said chains. Are those even legal anymore?:D

Florida, you're bro-in-law could be my neighbor, as I live just off E Euclid myself.

SKUNKBOY
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
mikeiniowa...you have PM.

Hope you see you this weekend.

L8R...Ken