PDA

View Full Version : Longer cues

maxeypad2007
12-18-2007, 07:00 PM
So how many of you guys play with cues longer than the standard 57-58 inch?

It seems like a lot of pros including efren are using a 60" cue with a longer shaft. Bartram is doing the same only with all the extra length in the butt end.

Why should I use a 60" cue?

poolhall maven
12-18-2007, 07:14 PM
My cue is 60" and I have been using that length for probably 20 years. When I use a standard cue it strokes right through my fingers because I am not used to it. I use the longer shaft for a longer stroke and Pete Ohman of Omen cues makes them for anyone who wants one.

Newton
12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Maxeypad;

I guess you have heard or read this answer 100 times before; It depends...
For me I WAS a skinny tall guy which developed to be a tall guy...Not so skinny anymore with my 90Kg and 189cm. I have however always had a feeling that I was gripping the Q way to far back on the butt. Long arms is another reason for this.

However when I had a run on my first 30" custom ordered shaft I developed much more (in play) where I was able to grip the Q on a closer to 90`angle of my arm, actually using the leather grip and not holding way back there. The distance to the QB changed as well which again felt more natural for me..

Now after some years of fresh playing(quit in 91, started again in 2005) I discovered this video posted earlier by one of our colleagues here at AZ (unfortunately don't have his post where he announced this, so I can't give him the credit) which pretty much told me that I have been doing what the conclusion of the video tells us without being aware of it and for sure in practice have experienced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJ7bDafTms

So for the bottom line and end this long post, if you are tall, have long arms like me and are used to grip the Q way back on the butt.... There's nothing wrong with that but if you add 1" you could be spot on:)

N

Graciocues
12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I shoot with a 60" cue.
Mark Tadd bought my last 60" shooter at a tournament in 2005.

My wife has a 56" cue.
That cue opens up a lot of shots for her.

okinawa77
12-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I play with a 60" cue. I like it better than the short cues.

Vinnie
12-18-2007, 10:12 PM
My cue is 60.25" and I'm only 5'-9" tall. Like others, it allows me to lengthen my bridge without having to grip the cue at the end of the butt.

Vinnie

RunoutalloverU
12-18-2007, 10:59 PM
are harder to play with.

Voodoo Daddy
12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
At 6'5" with a 80" wingspan :eek: , I been playing with a 59" cue for decades {29" butt/30" shaft}. 60" seems to throw the balance point off, to me. Bob "Black Bart" Ogburn turned me on to the longer cue in the 80's.

WheatCues
12-19-2007, 08:03 PM

It seems like a lot of pros including efren are using a 60" cue with a longer shaft. Bartram is doing the same only with all the extra length in the butt end.

As a cuemaker who custom fits cues to the customers armspand.... I build the avg. cue approx. 60" however with certain players like myself and quite a few others with a 53" to 54" armspand/stroking range, our cues end up 61"-62" in total length...

Reasoning behind why: the standard 57" 1 piece house cue and the 58" custom 2-piece cue were originally designed with the standard conical taper "skinny to fat" very quickly, mainly becasue back in those days bridge lengths were shorter and that overall length was acceptable.

But ever since the europeans modified the taper to the well known and mainstream adopted pro-taper "the same diameter approx. 8" to 10" before flaring out to the the conical taper again, this new adaptation allowed more comfort and consistancy to the player, and inadvertantly increased bridge lengths which in return created the need for longer shafts...

However, since most of us grip the cue between the wrap and the buttsleeve becasue of our armspands and bridge lengths, we are way off the intended balance point the avg. production cue and most cuemakers has designed, therefore not only are we striving for comfort but balance and control as well !

So this is where it all makes since: If your general armspand is measured from between your second and third knuckle and measured all the way out to the tip when you are perpedicular to the table "level" and the tip is just touching the cueball, you freeze and have someone measure the distance. you do this about 10 times 5 different addresses to the table and this will give you your axg. armspand and bridge length. I will build the cue completely around the center of your hand which in turn is the middle of the wrap so no matter where you are on that 12" wrap you a GUARANTEED with your balance point for consistant speed and english control... I build the cues longer or shorter to accommodate your unique style of play, and of course there is a formula to just how much forward balance I provide all the way to the tip to maintain downward control over your top english shots, especially when you have to juice it up ! however you will never feel the forward balance difference of this addition becasue of the balance point of a well built and proper fitted cue !

No other mainstream cuemaker is doing this along with completely building the cue to your specs all the way down to joint-pin, butt diameter, and the overalll hit of the cue.

I simply offer the best of both worlds at realistic affordable prices that will increase your performance by atleast 25% GUARANTEED ! my cues start at 350.00. I adjust the cue to you, therefore, you do not have to adjust to it, so the typical response is "it feels like an old leather shoe, completely comfortable"

This is not a sales add but a qualification of my above mentioned contribution to the question at hand !

Properly fitted equipment is essential, and if you are comfortable and confident in your cue it makes all the difference, and since everyone of us has a different style, bridge, armspand, and unique stance, ther is no friggin' way that a cue that is balanced out in the same place on every single one of the same brand producion or "custom" cue is going to work for everyone. and thats why the balance point on the typical playing cue is not a valid factor in the equation, becasue for the avg. person who plays this game is holding the cue completely off kilter to its respected effective range.

I will argue this simple concept to anyone and everyone about balance point, becasue unless its very close to your hand it's irrelevant !!!

I really hope this " in depth" answer and explaination to your question at hand helps you understand the need for longer cues !

Sincerely, Eddie Wheat

p.s. feel free to call at anytime if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to assist ! I have been building and repaing cues for over 17 yrs. and have extensive knowledge true custom fitted cues... 321-631-1827

Mark Avlon
12-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Your cue should be long enough that when the tip is at the cue ball, the grip hand forearm is perpendicular to the cue.