PDA

View Full Version : Prof. pic's of your cue

Dawgie
12-18-2007, 08:58 PM
How many guys do you think would want a prof. pic taken of their cue? Do you think 25% is a decent estimate?

1pRoscoe
12-18-2007, 09:04 PM
I wanted professional pics, so I took my cues to Glamour Shots at the nearest mall.... They didn't quite have the lighting that accented the inlays, so we agreed to part ways....

The props they had to accent the wrap was rather nice though...

shinyballs
12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
In my honest opinion, I'd say maybe 5% tops.

Kevin Lindstrom
12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Lets see some samples. I'm sure it would help the cause. In all seriousness I think 25% is pretty high but I could be wrong. Give us a taste of what you can do.

LILJOHN30
12-18-2007, 09:51 PM
If I had a high end cue maybe I would want some pics but since I only have a custom downey then my pics will do.I would like to learn how to get a full size closeup like some of the other members seen to be able to do...

Fatboy
12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
i own a studio and am too lazy to take my cues there to shoot them. i havent been there in almost 2 years, i should go and get some pics taken

trustyrusty
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
.0000001% ... c'mon professional pics of your cue/s??? I'm a golfnut that loves his putter like a freakin' brother, but "we" have never went to any portrait studios...LOL

trustyrusty
12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
You are from Illinois, is it a Bettinardi?

I am somewhat of a putter ho myself

Nope, but have had a number of Bob's pretty flatsticks. The putter in the bag (2nd season now - WOW!) is no beauty, but it's better in that ever critical range of 6-15 feet than any putter I've ever had. I hate to admit it, but I guess I'll tell you (it's so ugly :eek: , and kinda gimmicky - I kinda make fun of myself for using it).....SC Futura Phantom Mallet II. Yep, center shafted, and branding-iron looking, but affective :D :p ;)

BTW, if you think you are a putter ho....I have MOST if not all of Pings flatsticks that were made in both BeCu and BeNi - and a ton in MagBrz and SS. I also have some rare, and Tour Camerons, but my PING collection dwarfs my "FANCY" putter collection. (Example" I have 4, yes 4 Ping Anser 2's patent pendings....and 2 are not the stainless - common - one :) ). PM me with what golf boards you frequent ... I've been a GEAer since it's first day (1999), and roamed around Golf Online's Equipment Forum prior to that.

JCIN
12-18-2007, 10:58 PM
I used have a photo business selling player and tournament photos. I do not consider myself a professional photographer but I have some interesting stuff IMO, been published in BD and on the cover of Pool and Billiard along with some satisfied clients. I chucked it when the revenue would not pay the hosting costs of the site. It is a tough racket.

If you are fantastic photographer who can provide great quality and actually add value for a cue collector you may have shot, but I doubt it. The pool of people who would pay anything close to what it would take to even make it worth the trouble is so small that any type of profitable enterprise is unrealistic IMO.

If you do it on the side and build relationships with collectors, develop a reputation for quality and make it "cool" to have photos by "X" accompany a high end cue then you could create a niche I guess.

Bottom line is most people just do not want to pay for what quality photos really cost. I know I don't, thats why I spent a few thousand to learn to do it myself :D

Good luck if you go ahead, I think it is cool idea, just tough to make your nut.

JimS
12-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Would a cue/case photography booth at the DCC or Hopkins event make money?

JCIN
12-19-2007, 05:22 AM
Would a cue/case photography booth at the DCC or Hopkins event make money?
What are you going to charge?

9 days expenses plus booth rental and airfare. Sounds like $2K or $3K to me. Charge $25 per person and you have to do 100 just to get close to even on the trip forget your equipment and other expenses. Figure 10% of that first 100 will not like the end product so you will have to refund them or accept bad press.

How do you deliver the photos? Prints on site or on a disc.

It could be done I guess if you could get a sweetheart deal on all of your expenses. I would like to see someone try it just to see how it works. I know it will never be me. Way long shot just to get even.