PDA

View Full Version : The Time Has Come...

Fatboy
12-19-2007, 11:34 PM
For me, Fatboy to go public, I came here a year ago not sure of where I was going or what I was doing with pool. I got re-aquinted with alot of people I hadnt spoke to in 15-20 years. I have made alot of new friends here who know my real name and were all stand up guys that respected my privacy, I appericate that and still only want to be "Fatboy" online. I appericate everyone for the respect.

I spent the last year looking around at pool, playing some(with my back I cant play as much as I would like to), getting a read on the players in action, betting on them, going to a couple tournments, buying a couple cues. But all this time I kept the name "Fatboy" and will continue to do so. I wanted to do something more than just be a average player so when I noticed I have been playing good for as little as I play and meeting alot of great people I decided to go public....

I'm playing the 10 Ball ring game in the Derby, Yup i'm my own stake horse and put myself in that match with the pro's. I have been doing good on my side bets and decided to step up and see whats its all about at that level. My goal is to not be the first guy out of the game and to show everyone that you can step up and play if you want to bad enough. This is my shot, I have never played on TV, been in the finals of a big tournment and now is my chance to see what i'm made of and if I suck dont worry, I'll be back.

I'm gonna try and organize a "Fatboy" party there too, yes with a open bar if possible, I need some time to think it out on how i'm gonna do it and everyone is invited until the room is full first come first served-come late stay home and wait for another one, but I wanted to announce that I'm an average player that has the heart, balls, lack of brains ;) to step into a big league ring game. I want to meet as many people as possible so a party will be great. I sort of have 2 sponsers, I pay them they dont pay me yet ;) but they are still my sponsers...I think.

To all my friends here, just keep calling me "Fatboy" cause thats who I am. I really hope I can do a party thats not a lock. But the ring game is a lock. The pressure is on and I better show up to play.

Fatboy
12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Good for you... I know many of us wish we had the $$$ to have a similar experience.... Good Luck Bro...

Thx its $$$ I won side betting, thank SVB for winning.

This isnt about $$$ its about the fact regular players can step up. I'm not there to donate, hell getting into that game took me some work and support of others, I have to play decent or there wont be a next time. I didnt buy my way into it. I had people convince Grady that I can play a little. Thus I better play good not to embarass them, Grady or myself.

My goal is to keep it positive and network and have fun seeing friends and making new ones, I'm back to pool 100% but with a different approach this time and its working, I cant complain about my game. I just hope I have it that night, I feel good thats for sure.

Fatboy

eaglesfan44
12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Good to hear Fatboy! I wish you the best of luck and I hope you play great buddy! I wish I could make it to the Derby this year but money setbacks won't allow me to. But I sure hope you do well and get some action and take down the cash! Go get em! :)

ribdoner
12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
From an old "FATBOY" to a young "FATBOY":

"lets just walk down there and screw em all"

Prolly see you in L'VILLE and I'll be pullin for you to play up to your expectations:)

DeadPoked
12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Good for you Fatboy! I'll be rooting you on and if you happen to have the party the last Thursday - Sat.. I'll be there for sure to help celebrate you snapping off the ring game ;)

JOEY
12-19-2007, 11:45 PM
i hope you do well in the ring game....we'll all be pulling for ya here on AZ. im thinking if you have the party it should be the last weekend of the tourney.....for my own well being of course....lol
see ya there,
joey

Russ Chewning
12-19-2007, 11:55 PM
You GO Fatboy!! You've made yourself a winner in life, and I am sure you'll do just fine in the ring game! I'll be sweating you big time..... Not every day I have someone I consider a friend in such a high profile event.

Give em hell!

Russ

derekdisco
12-20-2007, 12:00 AM
fatboy, I sent you 2 PM's, kinda long, my bad!

beav99_4life
12-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Fatboy, I love hearing this kind of story. I dont care what any of us say to make ourselves feel better, all of us would love to have the cash and balls to throw it in the ring at one point or another when we feel we're shooting well. Good luck to you and i'll be there watching.

JCIN
12-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Good on you Fatboy.

Sounds like this year is really going to be one to remember. If you have your party I may end up forgeting one of the nights though :D

David Beck
12-20-2007, 12:14 AM
That's awesome man. I hope one day to be making this same post. I wish you the best of luck, and I'll be rooting for you, if I can figure out who you are. :cool:

cuejoey
12-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Good luck Fat Boy and Merry Christmass:)

Rubyron
12-20-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't care who else is in the ring game, I'll be rooting for you. Good Luck!

jay helfert
12-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Fatboy Rules! :D

CTYankee
12-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Give 'em hell, Fatboy!

Johnnyt
12-20-2007, 02:30 AM
Good Luck Fatboy. Thats one reason to have money...to do what you want when you want IMO. Johnnyt

JMuck
12-20-2007, 02:57 AM
here-here! Go Fatboy.Whoo ever you are!

manwon
12-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Good Luck Fatboy, I hope you kick some ass. I also wish I could be present to watch but I have run my little pool room down here in Lakewood, Washington. I have always appreciated your down to earth attitude, in all your posts.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may the New year bring you only the best of things and the best of Health.

a9ballbr8k
12-20-2007, 03:39 AM
Fatboy!!!! Atta boy. Go do your thang and do it well. Best of luck buddy!!!

Lucky#Nine
12-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Good Luck from Germany!!! Kick some a$$!

JimS
12-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Now I REALLYwant to get to L'ville!!!!!!

What day will you be in the game?

Studly move on your part my friend.

iba7467
12-20-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Ball ring game is the first Saturday. I'll be there in the stands rooting you on. Look forward to meeting you. Good luck.

MOJOE
12-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Fatboy,

That is awesome, you will be doing what many of us here can only dream of. If I had the cash, I would pony up and have some fun with the big boys too. I'll be there rooting you on. I'm not a drinker but hope to make it to your party too, if it is within the first few days of the derby.

Either way, I'll be sure to say hello if I can figure out who you are!!

May the rolls go your way.

Merry Christmas,

JBK

vagabond
12-20-2007, 06:43 AM
I met Fatboy and he is a nice boy.He is fun to be around.
Hey Fatboy,
This oldman already forgot yore name.However I will respect your wish to be called as 'fatboy' even if I am able to recall yore name.
check the local laws in Kentucky before you have open bar party-especially inview of VICARIOUS liability when a guy drinks in your party and later does some stupid law breaking.

cubc
12-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Just curious... why is that studly? and ballsy and all that... hes rich as hell and can do what he wants.

When that crown prince of retardation plays in tournaments people mock him but hes rich enough to do it yet when fatboy does it it's ok and admirable?

What is the difference in a rich guy paying to play in a bigger tournament than someone whos NOT rich paying 100 dollars to enter a tournament? They're stepping up too to play and that 100 dollars is most likely more to them than what this is to you. Maybe it's not stepping up in your opinion.

Good luck with it.. but even saying its money from a bet from shane winning.. yea well you had the money to put up in case you lost still. It's amazing how money makes things happen.

I'm sure if you get put out first you can just go buy another 15,000 dollar cue to make yourself feel all better.

I like reading your posts and your comments Fatboy and think you're a pretty cool character regardless of a lot of the things I've heard about you but the stepping up comment.. thats just irritating to me. If I had a multi million dollar "property" and a cue collection to build a 'cue cabin' it would be amazing how big my balls would get too.

Black-Balled
12-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Fatboy Rules! :D

WIsh I could be there- sounds like a great opportunity and time for all involved!

Enjoy!!

Hunter
12-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Good luck, Fatboy! Bring home the Belt!

Thecoats
12-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Just curious... why is that studly? and ballsy and all that... hes rich as hell and can do what he wants.

When that crown prince of retardation plays in tournaments people mock him but hes rich enough to do it yet when fatboy does it it's ok and admirable?

What is the difference in a rich guy paying to play in a bigger tournament than someone whos NOT rich paying 100 dollars to enter a tournament? They're stepping up too to play and that 100 dollars is most likely more to them than what this is to you. Maybe it's not stepping up in your opinion.

Good luck with it.. but even saying its money from a bet from shane winning.. yea well you had the money to put up in case you lost still. It's amazing how money makes things happen.

I'm sure if you get put out first you can just go buy another 15,000 dollar cue to make yourself feel all better.

I like reading your posts and your comments Fatboy and think you're a pretty cool character regardless of a lot of the things I've heard about you but the stepping up comment.. thats just irritating to me. If I had a multi million dollar "property" and a cue collection to build a 'cue cabin' it would be amazing how big my balls would get too.

It is stepping up, just like any c or b player who plays in an open event, they are stepping up. Sure Fatboy may embarrass hisself, but you have to give him credit for having the balls to give it a shot. Geez, it is 3k, I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people that post here and play pool that could affort the 3k, they just do not have the heart to step into the jungle with the big boys. I wish Fatboy the best of luck and hope he wins the whole thing:D :D Either way it should make the ring game even that much more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Take Care
-don

beetle
12-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Fatboy!!!! Atta boy. Go do your thang and do it well. Best of luck buddy!!!

Good luck Fatboy! Just thinking about ring games makes me nervous. The only thing that scares me more is a9ballbr8k's avatar!!!

thebigdog
12-20-2007, 07:55 AM

I really think stepping up has less to do with the amount of money than the way you're making it sound. Fatboy is getting out there with the best players on a large stage. Being able to afford to get in there is one thing, but actually putting yourself out there is a whole different beast. Believe me, I've played in large open tournaments when I was probobly in a group worse than 90% of the field, and the only thing I cared about was not making a fool of myself out there. Its a lot of pressure especially when your playing in the prime time session of a big event and are surrounded by champions. I learned more about myself playing in that environment than I have in any gambling session. So I think you are totally missing the point here why people are giving this guy props for getting in there. Even if you can afford the cash to get in the game, it still takes heart to get in there in front of everyone.

jwilliams
12-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Good Luck Man!
And win or lose I just hope you feel relaxed and have a blast...somehow I kind of think you will! ;)

MOJOE
12-20-2007, 08:05 AM
I really think stepping up has less to do with the amount of money than the way you're making it sound. Fatboy is getting out there with the best players on a large stage. Being able to afford to get in there is one thing, but actually putting yourself out there is a whole different beast. Believe me, I've played in large open tournaments when I was probobly in a group worse than 90% of the field, and the only thing I cared about was not making a fool of myself out there. Its a lot of pressure especially when your playing in the prime time session of a big event and are surrounded by champions. I learned more about myself playing in that environment than I have in any gambling session. So I think you are totally missing the point here why people are giving this guy props for getting in there. Even if you can afford the cash to get in the game, it still takes heart to get in there in front of everyone.

Well said my friend. Rep for you!

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 08:14 AM

its not like that at all, I havent lost perspective of what $$$ is, its the same now as it was when I was broke, I was busted for 75% of my life. I started with small bets and parlayed them into more-enought to play this event. I want to know what its like to be out there under the heat, it will make me a better player. This is about me playing and making friends and inspireing others, not being a show off. I'm not gonna wear shoes when I play the event-if thats cool with the other players/direstor etc because I like to play barefoot. Your read of me is off a little, I'm not a sucker but if I see an oppertunity to help people I do, i'm a generous guy and yeah the 3 dimes is huge for me. Far as a $15,000 cue goes yeah I have a few but they are investments not toys, and I promis you you wont catch me playing with one. I'm a 10,000 to 1 underdog in this match and am honored to be able to play in it. I just want to see whats it like, hell I might dog it bad and be embarassed or feed off it and play good, Its gonna be a experience thats for sure. I'm not a rich guy who is better than anyone. I'm a guy who is self made and needs friends-I have no family. I hope to make friends with this not buy them. I dont know where this is gonna take me.....thats the fun part.

to all else thanks for the support and please cross youir fingers I'm gonna need it.

BTW the Crown Prince guy I know alot about I bought a house in Vegas from their family and I'm flat broke to them, I'm not better than anyone. I just work hard and play harder.

happy christmas

hemicudas
12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Go knock-um in da creek, Fatboy. We're witcha.

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 08:28 AM

I might dog the shit out of it and be humilitated, believe me thats the reason I want to play, sure I'm 5 balls weaker than anyone else but when I get a shot I'm gonna see what I'm made of and thats what count. So if I'm not the first guy out I'll be happy, if I knock someone out....wow that will be a rush. I'm trying to kick my game up and have fun too. I know the guys I'm playing and most of us went to dinner the other night-I never told them about this cause it wasnt official, Grady's wife told me last night I was in after the dinner.

As Far as the party goes I want to do something and that ws just a thought...I want to build a huge group of friends in pool no enimys. Yeah I got lucky in biz but that never changed my values in life, $50 sets of 9B are still $50 sets. I live in Vegas and have see it all, people losing perspective, or in Beverly Hills my other house and the billionairs who are lost I refuse to be like that.

Please dont judge me til you know me, if after that you dont like me I'll respect that but give me a chance. i'm not a rich snob, hell I dont own a shirt with a collar or know how to tie a neck tie. I'm a regular guy who got lucky and thank my parents who struggled to raise me and for that reason alone I owe it to them to make the most of what I have. I count my blessings everyday. Dont sterotype me as "anther rich asshole", believe me I know alot of them from all the exotic car events I go to, they hate me because I'm not fancy enough for them. F'um i'm just Fatboy love me or hate me.

for everyone who is in my corner thanks that means ALOT to me, i'm scared shitless and confident, you guys mean alot to me. thanks again. please give me the love and moral support my family would since I dont have one, I need that, I dont want to be the center of attention that isnt my goal, my goal is not to be the first guy out and play good as I possibly can.

Jay dont run off on me again ;) you will get played

Scott Lee
12-20-2007, 09:07 AM
tap, tap, tap...thebigdog! cubc definitely misses the point! Your last sentence says it all! GO FATBOY! We're rootin' for ya!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Its a lot of pressure especially when your playing in the prime time session of a big event and are surrounded by champions. I learned more about myself playing in that environment than I have in any gambling session. So I think you are totally missing the point here why people are giving this guy props for getting in there. Even if you can afford the cash to get in the game, it still takes heart to get in there in front of everyone.

ccshrimper
12-20-2007, 09:10 AM
I might dog the shit out of it and be humilitated, believe me thats the reason I want to play, sure I'm 5 balls weaker than anyone else but when I get a shot I'm gonna see what I'm made of and thats what count. So if I'm not the first guy out I'll be happy, if I knock someone out....wow that will be a rush. I'm trying to kick my game up and have fun too. I know the guys I'm playing and most of us went to dinner the other night-I never told them about this cause it wasnt official, Grady's wife told me last night I was in after the dinner.

As Far as the party goes I want to do something and that ws just a thought...I want to build a huge group of friends in pool no enimys. Yeah I got lucky in biz but that never changed my values in life, $50 sets of 9B are still $50 sets. I live in Vegas and have see it all, people losing perspective, or in Beverly Hills my other house and the billionairs who are lost I refuse to be like that.

Please dont judge me til you know me, if after that you dont like me I'll respect that but give me a chance. i'm not a rich snob, hell I dont own a shirt with a collar or know how to tie a neck tie. I'm a regular guy who got lucky and thank my parents who struggled to raise me and for that reason alone I owe it to them to make the most of what I have. I count my blessings everyday. Dont sterotype me as "anther rich asshole", believe me I know alot of them from all the exotic car events I go to, they hate me because I'm not fancy enough for them. F'um i'm just Fatboy love me or hate me.

for everyone who is in my corner thanks that means ALOT to me, i'm scared shitless and confident, you guys mean alot to me. thanks again. please give me the love and moral support my family would since I dont have one, I need that, I dont want to be the center of attention that isnt my goal, my goal is not to be the first guy out and play good as I possibly can.

Good for you Fatboy! I always heard you could tell newly rich people by the way they try to flaunt it but you seem to be the opposite and I highly respect that. G'Luck to ya.

SPINDOKTOR
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Could be great, GL! may you get All the rolls..

SPINDOKTOR

sydbarret
12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
play barefoot.

Please don't:)

jay helfert
12-20-2007, 10:34 AM

I'll be back! :D

Just for your information, I advised Fatboy NOT to play in the Ring Game. I didn't think it was a good way to spend his money, and three dimes is three dimes. He said he wanted to test himself and see how he stood up under pressure. I have to admire his fortitude and heart.

He might just surprise a few people. He WILL make balls and he does have a nice stroke. Don't make the mistake of underestimating the Fatboy. I have beat him playing Banks a few times, but that's my best game, not his. And he asked for my best game!

The more I get to know Fatboy, the more I like him. He is a man with HEART, character, brains and vision.

9 on the snap
12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Good luck Fatboy. In my mind you have already won. You have the heart and courage to put your hard earned dough on the line to step up. You certainly have my repect for that. Bear down, kick ass, and you never know.

Catahula
12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
If you feel any weight on your shoulders Fatboy, just remember that is only the ton of well wishes sent your way by the folks on this forum.
A lot of us will be living vicariously through your adventure.:)

ragbug74
12-20-2007, 12:03 PM
For most of us "recreational" players, the chance to enter one of the DCC tourneys would be our shot at playing a "pro". You never know who you might draw. It could be Efren, you could draw some local out of Louisville that banks like you or I shoot straight-in shots, or you could draw another recreational player. Either way, you'd be stepping up, but you never know who you may have to face. In Fatboy's case, there's no secrets here as to whom he will be playing with....big-time pro's who are generally experienced in a ring-game scenario. I'm sure there's people out there that regardless of the $$$, they wouldn't consider stepping up in fear of possible failure or embarrasment under the spotlight. For this, I give Fatboy credit. I'll be there rooting for you on Saturday!

ShootingArts
12-20-2007, 12:10 PM

That is the biggest difference between you and the prince dude, you are one of us here. If the prince hung out as much here as you do we would probably back him too. Regardless of the dollars or what dollars mean at the moment it does take guts to risk public embarrassment which could happen if you start a little cold.

I'll wish you the best of luck and more than luck, that you are able to play up to your true ability. As we saw with Johnny and Earl last night, you do have to plan ahead but it is also true that games are won and lost one shot at a time. Stay in the moment and you will do fine.

Hu

watchez
12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Good luck Fatboy. Take the opportunity you have to play & make sure you make the best of each opportunity you get at the table. That is all you can ask of yourself.

If you don't have your party, I will be sure to find you & buy you a beer.

Ktown D
12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Dude,

You get mucho respect from me. It takes big ones to get up in front of an audience and let it fly, especially against players that are head and shoulders above you. I wish you the bes and I look forward to meeting you in L'ville.

GL bro,
D

Scottster
12-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Play well Fatboy, You definately picked a setting to put your nerves to the test. I'll be rooting for ya'.

Scottster
12-20-2007, 08:28 PM
delete delete.. sorry guys.... weird error message...

dabarbr
12-20-2007, 08:29 PM
An attaboy for Fatboy. When in doubt ride the money ball!!

Scottster
delete... weird error message

Scottster
delete delete

Scottster
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM

dabarbr
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
An Attaboy for Fatboy. When in doubt ride the money ball!!! Good luck.

Scottster
12-20-2007, 08:34 PM
delete delete

Scottster
12-20-2007, 08:35 PM
delete delete

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Play well Fatboy, You definately picked a setting to put your nerves to the test. I'll be rooting for ya'.

thats why i put myself in that spot, i want to see how i really play other than action

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM

thats why i put myself in that spot, i want to see how i really play other than action

Neil
12-20-2007, 08:51 PM

JimS

Great post that shows restraint and wisdom.

JimS

JimS
12-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 09:00 PM

what the hell did I do to you?

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 09:29 PM

Your exactly right, thats why I'm in...

pooltableproCP
12-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Fatboy - Rock on my brother! Go show 'em what determination is!! It would not be a surprise if you inflict some damage in the ring game!

As for the few naysayers that think Fatboy is a elitist rich guy flipping bills instead of paying dues...you are dead WRONG. Out of respect for Fatboy's privacy, I am not going to give details, but I can tell you that he is pretty much what he says he is! He earned his jack without letting the roadblocks get in his way. Yeah, he caught the arbitrary few lucky breaks, but just like poker and pool, it's what you DO with those opportunities that sets you apart from the pack. There are lessons to be learned here.....PAY ATTENTION!

Chris

Fatboy
12-20-2007, 10:05 PM

Wanna play some? its not about the $$$ its for the love of action, i dont high roll people, i play you for what your comfortable with, and be friendly about it. I watched your video and you play better than me but I'll still play.

CaptiveBred
12-20-2007, 10:49 PM
I've got 10k set aside to go to DCC and I could drop 3k on that ring game but am not brave enough to even think about it :) Seperating myself from the cash would be the easy part, for sure... cubc must be unaware that 3k today is about $300 15 years ago :( I don't think this a case of a rich man buying anything... More like a dead man walking lol

Fatboy, you are a tough read... Either you are stupid, crazy, or have a real set of balls on you :) Either way, good luck and I will be pulling for you in a nonmonetary fashion ;) Most people could never put themselves out there like that... Shows alot and most of us respect that. I'm a fan of character and I like your style.

qbilder
12-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Go get you some :) Don't stress anybody's opinions or ridecule. This is your moment, all about you. Enjoy the hell out of it.

Though you'll be surrounded by champions & world beaters, I have little doubt that you'll have the crowd ;)

bagofpaper
12-21-2007, 12:32 AM
For me, Fatboy to go public, I came here a year ago not sure of where I was going or what I was doing with pool. I got re-aquinted with alot of people I hadnt spoke to in 15-20 years. I have made alot of new friends here who know my real name and were all stand up guys that respected my privacy, I appericate that and still only want to be "Fatboy" online. I appericate everyone for the respect.

I spent the last year looking around at pool, playing some(with my back I cant play as much as I would like to), getting a read on the players in action, betting on them, going to a couple tournments, buying a couple cues. But all this time I kept the name "Fatboy" and will continue to do so. I wanted to do something more than just be a average player so when I noticed I have been playing good for as little as I play and meeting alot of great people I decided to go public....

I'm playing the 10 Ball ring game in the Derby, Yup i'm my own stake horse and put myself in that match with the pro's. I have been doing good on my side bets and decided to step up and see whats its all about at that level. My goal is to not be the first guy out of the game and to show everyone that you can step up and play if you want to bad enough. This is my shot, I have never played on TV, been in the finals of a big tournment and now is my chance to see what i'm made of and if I suck dont worry, I'll be back.

I'm gonna try and organize a "Fatboy" party there too, yes with a open bar if possible, I need some time to think it out on how i'm gonna do it and everyone is invited until the room is full first come first served-come late stay home and wait for another one, but I wanted to announce that I'm an average player that has the heart, balls, lack of brains ;) to step into a big league ring game. I want to meet as many people as possible so a party will be great. I sort of have 2 sponsers, I pay them they dont pay me yet ;) but they are still my sponsers...I think.

To all my friends here, just keep calling me "Fatboy" cause thats who I am. I really hope I can do a party thats not a lock. But the ring game is a lock. The pressure is on and I better show up to play.

Good luck Fatboy!! I'll be at the party..

Rick S.
12-21-2007, 12:57 AM
I'll be there snapping photos! I'll be waiting to get a shot of you collecting the $$$$$$$$ at the end.

This is the only shot I have with you in it at the Mosconi Cup. Hopefully we can change that at the Derby!

http://www.pbase.com/rixx/image/90580174.jpg

yobagua
12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Fatboy I admire you. I, like you, started off with nothing. I came to California with a pair of good pants 2 shirts and a pair of leather shoes. I worked hard and struggled but finally made it in my profession. I now can choose when and where I want to work and if I dont make in the good six figures I am slacking off.
But I dont play good enough to play against the pros. I could afford 10 spots in the ring game easy but I couldnt do it.

2 years ago I started going to the World Series of poker and entering in some events. I was able to go anonymous because everyone was in the same boat. But I got real embarassed when I got knocked out in the first 20 minutes. I left that table having two weak pair getting beat by a set. The others looked at me like I was some donkey who couldnt read my opponent.

Believe me since that two years I have become a much better player and have won some small tournaments and come in the money many times. I hope you find that results for yourself. I admire your guts.

MOJOE
12-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Fatboy,

I admire you for playing, period. As mentioned many times, it has little to to with the money and everything to do with testing yourself. I hope that you play YOUR game and just remain calm under the fire.

No matter what the outcome, you have my respect. There will always be naysayers, as you very well know.

Peace, Joe

Jim BC
12-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Good Luck Fatboy!

Scott Lee
12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I PLAYED that guy last year in the banks tourney! I had runs of 4, 4, and 3 (which I thought was pretty sporty!:D )...and got beat 3-0! :eek: :D

Best of luck to you Fatboy!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

you could draw some local out of Louisville that banks like you or I shoot straight-in shots,

Matt_24
12-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Fatboy - share your "rags to riches" story with us.

JAM
12-21-2007, 07:39 AM
I'll be there snapping photos! I'll be waiting to get a shot of you collecting the $$$$$$$$ at the end.

This is the only shot I have with you in it at the Mosconi Cup. Hopefully we can change that at the Derby!

http://www.pbase.com/rixx/image/90580174.jpg

That's a great photo. I think I see half of Sally T.'s face, as well as Kim Davenport's wife holding the flag? Is she holding Rodney's daughter?

JAM

Blackjack
12-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Fatboy

I'll be you're Huckleberry.

:cool:

You have my support. You have my assistance if needed to get ready for this. You have my number. You can count on Blackjack and Dead Stroke University as another one of your "sponsors" - although I won't accept a dime - pay me in meatball subs and we'll call it even.

Matt_24
12-21-2007, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=Blackjack]

QUOTE]

David,
I always liked that line. Call me stupid, but what does that mean???

Blackjack
12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I found this explanation through a google search.

What it means is easy enough. To be one's "huckleberry" usually as the phrase I'm your huckleberry is to be just the right person for a given job, or a willing executor of some commission. Where it comes from needs a bit more explaining.

First a bit of botanical history. When European settlers arrived in the New World, they found several plants that provided small, dark-coloured sweet berries. They reminded them of the English bilberry and similar fruits and they gave them one of the dialect terms they knew for them, hurtleberry, whose origin is unknown (though some say it has something to do with hurt, from the bruised colour of the berries; a related British dialect form is whortleberry). Very early on at the latest 1670 this was corrupted to huckleberry.

As huckleberries are small, dark and rather insignificant, in the early part of the nineteenth century the word became a synonym for something humble or minor, or a tiny amount. An example from 1832: "He was within a huckleberry of being smothered to death". Later on it came to mean somebody inconsequential. Mark Twain borrowed some aspects of these ideas to name his famous character, Huckleberry Finn. His idea, as he told an interviewer in 1895, was to establish that he was a boy "of lower extraction or degree" than Tom Sawyer.

Also around the 1830s, we see the same idea of something small being elaborated and bombasted in the way so typical of the period to make the comparison a huckleberry to a persimmon, the persimmon being so much larger that it immediately establishes the image of something tiny against something substantial. There's also a huckleberry over one's persimmon, something just a little bit beyond one's reach or abilities; an example is in David Crockett: His Life and Adventures by John S C Abbott, of 1874: "This was a hard business on me, for I could just barely write my own name. But to do this, and write the warrants too, was at least a huckleberry over my persimmon".

Quite how I'm your huckleberry came out of all that with the sense of the man for the job isn't obvious. It seems that the word came to be given as a mark of affection or comradeship to one's partner or sidekick. There is often an identification of oneself as a willing helper or assistant about it, as here in True to Himself, by Edward Stratemeyer, dated 1900: "I will pay you for whatever you do for me." Then I'm your huckleberry. Who are you and what do you want to know". Despite the obvious associations, it doesn't seem to derive directly from Mark Twain's books.

I guess that explains it.

Rick S.
12-21-2007, 09:02 AM
That's a great photo. I think I see half of Sally T.'s face, as well as Kim Davenport's wife holding the flag? Is she holding Rodney's daughter?

JAM

Thanks....your right on all!!

I'm getting ready to post a couple more.

Rick S.

Fatboy
12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
i was laying down on 2 chairs in that pic, my backache was on fire, I couldnt sit up straight. that is Rodneys little girl.

beetle
12-21-2007, 09:18 AM

The line made famous, of course, by Val Kilmer in the movie Tombstone (see about 1:25):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Rf0URZfLQ

poolcuemaster
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Go getem Fatboy and if your still there the last three days I hope to meet you.---Leonard

Matt_24
12-21-2007, 10:09 AM

What it means is easy enough. To be one's "huckleberry" usually as the phrase I'm your huckleberry is to be just the right person for a given job, or a willing executor of some commission. Where it comes from needs a bit more explaining.

First a bit of botanical history. When European settlers arrived in the New World, they found several plants that provided small, dark-coloured sweet berries. They reminded them of the English bilberry and similar fruits and they gave them one of the dialect terms they knew for them, hurtleberry, whose origin is unknown (though some say it has something to do with hurt, from the bruised colour of the berries; a related British dialect form is whortleberry). Very early on at the latest 1670 this was corrupted to huckleberry.

As huckleberries are small, dark and rather insignificant, in the early part of the nineteenth century the word became a synonym for something humble or minor, or a tiny amount. An example from 1832: "He was within a huckleberry of being smothered to death". Later on it came to mean somebody inconsequential. Mark Twain borrowed some aspects of these ideas to name his famous character, Huckleberry Finn. His idea, as he told an interviewer in 1895, was to establish that he was a boy "of lower extraction or degree" than Tom Sawyer.

Also around the 1830s, we see the same idea of something small being elaborated and bombasted in the way so typical of the period to make the comparison a huckleberry to a persimmon, the persimmon being so much larger that it immediately establishes the image of something tiny against something substantial. There's also a huckleberry over one's persimmon, something just a little bit beyond one's reach or abilities; an example is in David Crockett: His Life and Adventures by John S C Abbott, of 1874: "This was a hard business on me, for I could just barely write my own name. But to do this, and write the warrants too, was at least a huckleberry over my persimmon".

Quite how I'm your huckleberry came out of all that with the sense of the man for the job isn't obvious. It seems that the word came to be given as a mark of affection or comradeship to one's partner or sidekick. There is often an identification of oneself as a willing helper or assistant about it, as here in True to Himself, by Edward Stratemeyer, dated 1900: "I will pay you for whatever you do for me." Then I'm your huckleberry. Who are you and what do you want to know". Despite the obvious associations, it doesn't seem to derive directly from Mark Twain's books.

I guess that explains it.

REP to you.

Blackjack
12-21-2007, 10:27 AM
REP to you.

When I was searching for the answer... I got lucky. (Just like Efren.)

;)

chilli66
12-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Fatboy, whatever happens in the game, enjoy yourself. Just playing amongst those guys will be a huge confidence booster for the future.

I wish I could be there to see it but I'll make do with updates!

The very best of luck to you, sir!

hangemhigh
12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Blackjack]

QUOTE]

David,
I always liked that line. Call me stupid, but what does that mean???

Near the end of that movie,right before Doc whacks Ringo,he says something similar. Does anyone remember?

Luck to you Fatboy,hey central time is a *****!

The line I was thinking about was just after he whacked Ringo= "Your no daisy"

JoeyA
12-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Fatboy, I normally don't watch much of the 10 ball ring game but since you got the balls and the dough to belly up to the table like a man, I will make a special effort just to come and support you big guy.

Congratulations and best of luck!

JoeyA

Johnnyt
12-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't know why a lot of you are making an issue out of he has money to put himself in...99% of the pros don't ever put a dime up...they let the bankers. Johnnyt

Fatboy
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
thanks to everyone for the support, now the pressure is on. i know I can play a little, I have been playing pretty good the past couple days. this will be an interesting experience, playing under the pressure of all my fans ;) LOL, ok supporters. I dont want to disappoint or let anyone down, the trick here is for me to clear my mind of that when its my shot and then we'll see what i'm made of and you cant buy that no matter how much $$$ I or anyone else has. I'm putting myself to the biggest test I have ever had in pool, which was my plan. I watched Archer shoot a 9 straight into the rail at the Mosconi Cup-I might do the same, I might not be able to hold my cue, then again I might play my best-thats what this is all about. I will follow up with my self analysis afterwards-a regular player on TV for the first time and alot of my friends, railbirds sweating me.

It will give more insight to what the pro's do for a living. i want to share my experience with everyone about my emotions before durng and after the match. If I dog my brains out I hope I wont lose any respect here, If I play my best which I am more than capable of running out playing 10 ball that will be great. either way I'll be honest and $$$ cant buy those emotions. Am I scared? yes. not because of who I'm playing but of my ability to perform in that enviorment, its easy to run out at home alone. One thing is for sure no matter how good or bad I play I will be back if they let me, there is no doubt that this experience will season me even more.

Again thanks for the support, win or lose, if I dont make a single ball I sincerly hope I dont lose any respect of my peers. Perhaps under the lights isnt gonna work for me, I want to know what I'm made of. I can play for $1000/set, but the first time I did it was ugly. This time I'm older and more confident. I'm proud to say I have the balls to bare my ass to the world on this one...it aint $$$, its heart and you cant buy that. Rack'em!!!!!

Neil
12-21-2007, 06:07 PM