PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Butter and Jelly

Poolfiend
12-20-2007, 11:46 AM
First off, for all you who saw the title and jumped on here ready to tell me to post this in the NPR section, take a deep breath and relax this is about pool.

FOR ME - alcohol and pool go together like peanut butter and jelly. During the weekly bar box tournaments I attend it is much more of a social outing for me and I usually drink at least a few beers. I am very competitive and will usually keep the drinking to a minimum until the tourney is over, but even when I play in larger tournaments I will have a beer or two to take the edge off. I recently made a discovery about myself and I am posting this on the off chance that it might help someone else.

Tuesday night I played in a 9-ball tourney at a pool room that does not serve alcohol. The tourney was a handicapped race to 5 on 9 footers (combination of GC's and Diamonds). I felt my normal pre-tournament jitters, but did not the alcohol to calm me down. I found that the "edge" I am always trying to get rid of can actually be channeled into greater focus and concentration. I played better than ever and my stamina late into the tournament was better. I started thinking back to the last big tourney I was in. It was the second day of the Utah Open. My first match was in the morning 11am. I was pretty nervous, but played a great first two racks, despite the jitters. I grabbed a beer to take the edge off, as soon as the edge was gone, so was my game. I lost 6-2.

Long story short: Peanut Butter and Jelly - great combo. Pool and alcohol - not so much.

Black-Balled
12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
sHEEYAT! tRY mARY jANE AND jAEGERMEISTER!:eek:

tHAT WILL REALLY SHOW YOU TH...

halhoule
12-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Use Efren Aiming System

Hal Houle
484 623 4144

jsp
12-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I love peanut butter and jelly. You ever heard of "Goobers" brand? It's the lazy-man's PBJ...already pre-mixed. I've been buying that since childhood. It just tastes that much better because you do less work.

As for alcohol and pool, I can't say because I don't drink. Maybe I should try since nothing is apparently helping my concentration much.

silvr rcr
12-20-2007, 12:02 PM
ive heard people say time and time again that they play better when theyre drunk, but i cant really say i see it. these are usually the people who arent really serious about their game though.
I had 2 drinks last night and it didnt affect my game at all (i was playing like shat last night anyway), but last week i actually tried to see if the whole 'play better when im a little lit' thing works. I think i was a little less careful, not entirely focused, and didnt think about position play nearly as much. I guess it could be different for anyone. I'd rather play someone who wasnt drinking i think, a bit more challenge maybe?
then again, some drunk f'er betting his wallet that he can 'whoop my ass' on the pool table... ill bite :)

silvr rcr
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.gamesreloaded.com/animation/Peanut-Butter-Jelly-Time
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/65389567_9737b2a6b0.jpg

bigskyjake
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't know man, I play way better when I've got a little buzz on, However it's tough to stay exactly at that level

justin.powell
12-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Sometimes I fell the same way (shootin/drinkin). I find that I shoot better when I don't drink and can find the "zone". I also shot in that tourney (Utah Open) and shot some of the best pool of my life winning my first match without missing a ball ;) (I drank a beer though).
First off, for all you who saw the title and jumped on here ready to tell me to post this in the NPR section, take a deep breath and relax this is about pool.

FOR ME - alcohol and pool go together like peanut butter and jelly. During the weekly bar box tournaments I attend it is much more of a social outing for me and I usually drink at least a few beers. I am very competitive and will usually keep the drinking to a minimum until the tourney is over, but even when I play in larger tournaments I will have a beer or two to take the edge off. I recently made a discovery about myself and I am posting this on the off chance that it might help someone else.

Tuesday night I played in a 9-ball tourney at a pool room that does not serve alcohol. The tourney was a handicapped race to 5 on 9 footers (combination of GC's and Diamonds). I felt my normal pre-tournament jitters, but did not the alcohol to calm me down. I found that the "edge" I am always trying to get rid of can actually be channeled into greater focus and concentration. I played better than ever and my stamina late into the tournament was better. I started thinking back to the last big tourney I was in. It was the second day of the Utah Open. My first match was in the morning 11am. I was pretty nervous, but played a great first two racks, despite the jitters. I grabbed a beer to take the edge off, as soon as the edge was gone, so was my game. I lost 6-2.

Long story short: Peanut Butter and Jelly - great combo. Pool and alcohol - not so much.

justin.powell
Sometimes I fell the same way (shootin/drinkin). I find that I shoot better when I don't drink and can find the "zone". I also shot in that tourney (Utah Open) and shot some of the best pool of my life winning my first match without missing a ball ;) (I drank a beer though).

justin.powell

justin.powell
12-20-2007, 09:47 PM

justin.powell
12-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Sometimes I fell the same way (shootin/drinkin). I find that I shoot better when I don't drink and can find the "zone". I also shot in that tourney (Utah Open) and shot some of the best pool of my life, winning my first match without missing a ball ;) (I drank a beer though).

justin.powell
12-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Sometimes I fell the same way (shootin/drinkin). I find that I shoot better when I don't drink and can find the "zone". I also shot in that tourney (Utah Open) and shot some of the best pool of my life, winning my first match without missing a ball ;) (I drank a beer though).

Billy_Bob
12-21-2007, 06:28 AM
I've noticed at those weekend 8:00 am to 11:00 pm regional tournaments, that those teams which start out the day drinking beer quickly disappear from the tournament.

The teams drinking water tend to still be there late or into the next day.

Cola/coffee and big meals can wreck playing as well...

Poolfiend
12-21-2007, 08:42 AM
I couldn't get on the forums for a couple hours last night. Something was up with the website I think. Thanks for the replies. I am going to try not drinking while playing for a while and see if I can control my nerves without the booze. I'm pretty sure I can channel that nervous energy into positive focus and determination.