PDA

View Full Version : Cuemakers Who Are Excellent Players

Cuefan
12-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Based on having played against them, watching them play, or having been told by a reliable source, who are the cuemakers that can play at a high level?

bruceree
12-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Don "tha Beast" Broos from Toronto is a great player. He always leaves with the cash. And some broken cues.

sizl
12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Rick Howard maker of Mace cues used to play on the Pro tour, but gave it up to start making cues. He could have been a CONTENDA'!

selftaut
12-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Shawn Putnam can play a little :)

hemicudas
12-20-2007, 08:06 PM
The best would obviously be Mike Sigel but Bill Stroud was a super monster when he ran the roads.

hilla_hilla
12-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Can't leave out Bobby Hunter.

stick8
12-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Well i have a friend that carries a mean stick, in the likes of MIKE{BABY] GULASSY maker of the sludghammer and other fine cues, and a good friend known him long time!!!!think he shot on the first Masconi cup????? :confused: :confused: :confused: STICK KYTLE

jay helfert
12-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Pete Tascarella has run 100's!

cubswin
12-20-2007, 08:28 PM
hear tell that Jack Madden plays pretty sporty

cubswin
12-20-2007, 08:29 PM

ribdoner
12-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Searing, Mottey, Tascarella (sr and jr), Madden, Houghland,...

I'm not sure if SIGEL is a maker or endorser/markateeeeeeeeeer:)

skins
12-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Joe Gold and Dennis Searing play very well.

skins
server messed up...........double post.....

The Beginner
Don "tha Beast" Broos from Toronto is a great player. He always leaves with the cash. And some broken cues.

He also leave some broken balls on the table :D

blud
12-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Jay, don't forget Motty, or Kikle. they both hit-um pretty snazy,as well as build nice poles.
blud

blud
12-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Jay, don't forget Motty, or Kikle. they both hit-um pretty snazy,as well as build nice poles.
blud

DeepBanks
12-20-2007, 08:34 PM
He was a stud . . .

I bet Helfert doin' cues in his basement, but he doesn't tell anyone . . . so he's a monster too! Hope your doing well Jay - Merry Christmas to you and yours . . . that Porper rack you sold me has worked out great.

DeepBanks
12-20-2007, 08:36 PM
He was a monster player . . .

Rumor has it that Helfert's making cues in his bunker (ha!) . . . so he qualifies as a monster too!

Merry Christmas Jay . . . that Porper rack you sold me has worked out great.

DeepBanks
12-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Rumor has it that Helfert's making cues in his bunker (ha!) . . . so he qualifies as a monster too!

branpureza
12-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Dave Bollman!!!

branpureza
Forum Error

branpureza
Forum Error

branpureza
Forum Error

branpureza
12-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Forum Error

branpureza
12-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Forum Error

CocoboloCowboy
12-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Think that is 110% right. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thumbsup.gif http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thumbsup.gif

http://www.johnmaddencues.com/about/index.php

CocoboloCowboy
12-20-2007, 08:48 PM

That is correct. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thumbsup.gif http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/thumbsup.gif

http://www.johnmaddencues.com/about/index.php

branpureza
12-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Forum Error

itmc80
12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Searing, Mottey, Tascarella (sr and jr), Madden, Houghland,...

I'm not sure if SIGEL is a maker or endorser/markateeeeeeeeeer:)

Searing does play very well and I have seen Pete Jr. play and he is pretty solid.

itmc80
12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Duplicate sorry

cyrex
12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Dave Kikel out of Pueblo Co. Not too shabby on the green felt.

cyrex
12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Umm.. yeah, what he said

cyrex
12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Ditto. word. umm repeat

charley2
12-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Don't forget Sailor of Racine Wisconsin. Made great cues, and in the 60s, 70s, was one of the best 9 ballers in the nation, ran over 300 balls in staight pool, beat Willie Musconi in an exhibition match at a hotel downtown Chicago. Also has instucted dozens of players to become A & B levels; ask Jeff Carter?

charley2
12-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Deleted this entry

charley2
12-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Deleted this entry

Dale Nichols
12-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Jerry Olivier shoots good. I played him some one pocket.

charley2
12-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Deleted this entry

charley2
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Deleted this entry

cyrex
12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Dave Kikel from Pueblo isn't too shabby on the green felt either.

maxeypad2007
12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I'd say he is a little more than sporty

CocoboloCowboy
12-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Think that is correct (http://www.johnmaddencues.com/about/index.php) read the information on this link. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/Iagree.gif

ironman
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
The best would obviously be Mike Sigel but Bill Stroud was a super monster when he ran the roads.

Bill Stroud was a very, very good player and played all games well.

I seem to remember him taking 3rd place in a snooker tournament in London back in the early 80's. He played all games pretty well.

Hey bill, I never got in touch with our buddy, but, still trying.

iba7467
12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Larry Nevel was making cues with another cuemaker. I'd say Larry plays a little.

Cornerman
12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
I hope this isn't going to double post like everyone else.

Among all those listed,

Ray Schuler won the National 3C title a few years prior to his passing.

Fred

randyg
12-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Jerry Powers from Jerico Cues aka The Stinger.....randyg

hemicudas
12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Bill Stroud was a very, very good player and played all games well.

I seem to remember him taking 3rd place in a snooker tournament in London back in the early 80's. He played all games pretty well.

Hey bill, I never got in touch with our buddy, but, still trying.

I appreciate that, ironman. Bill Stack as well as Bigbird is asking about him.

poolhall maven
12-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Pete Ohman of Omen cues is an all around great player. There isn't a game that he isn't good at. I really like his game and he is a pleasure to watch, very fluid and smooth. He has won Florida Pro Tour events in the past, but spends most of his time building cues now.
Look for him at Derby City, he'll be playing and showing his cues.

MOJOE
12-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Richard Harris shoots very well from what I hear.. He still plays a little from what I hear.

jay helfert
12-21-2007, 11:58 AM

I tried to make a cue once, and even bought a lathe. The first time I cut my finger on the jig I decided this wasn't for me. :eek:

I can replace and shape tips with the best of them though. I used to do it in the back seat of my car. With only glue, sandpaper, a file and a rubber band. And come out with a perfect tip the next day!

I did tips for Keith, Ronnie, Jeff Carter, Jimmy Reid and Tang among others. They'd hand me the cue and I'd go to work in the motel room and voila the next day, it was ready to go. :cool:

When I was running around in the bars, all I carried was a scuffer and some 400 sandpaper. I'd try to find a straight 16 or 17 ounce cue, clean up the shaft and work the tip a little and I was good to go.

klockdoc
12-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Jerry Terbrock is a very good player and one heck of a cue manufacturer.

He has won state 9 ball and 8 ball championships and real ggod one pocket player.

http://jerryterbrock.com/

jay helfert
12-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Think that is correct (http://www.johnmaddencues.com/about/index.php) read the information on this link. http://www.geocities.com/cocobolocowboy/Iagree.gif

Look close and you'll see Don McCoy and Swanee in the background of that photo of Jack. Jack Madden was one of the better players in SoCal when he was living down here.

poolhustler
12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Tim Padgett has played a little !!!

LC3
12-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I've read that Bob Dzuricky plays well.

Cuaba
12-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Most cuemakers are good players. Several of them are "excellent." Only a few of them don't play well.

rangerdos001
12-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Eric Crisp (SugarTree) is a pretty sporty player, knows his way around a table as well as a lathe. I agree that most cuemakers can play pretty well, as that is what probably draws them to cuemaking to begin with.

poolsucker
12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
woody woodworth won a bca national title. jerry brock was probably the second best to sigal and still plays world class 1 hole.

cuefeene
12-21-2007, 03:59 PM
brian king and david rowell out of alabama.

qbilder
12-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Every cuemaker I have played knows the game better than the average B player. Some are more skilled & execute better than others, but all have good knowledge. It's kinda tough to succeed at building cues if you don't know what it's supposed to do.

CrossSideLarry
12-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Based on having played against them, watching them play, or having been told by a reliable source, who are the cuemakers that can play at a high level?

Having played with him both at his ranch and in my house on my 9 foot Diamond Pro, I can say without equivocation that Johnny "Get Back Jack" Madden can play some monster pool! I will take him for the cash with any player / cuemaker mentioned so far.

Cross Side Larry

"Learn from the best and beat the rest"

Hunter
12-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Nubs Wagner (Nova Cues) is a solid player, Bryan Mordt (BCM Cues) used to play top level pool, and I've seen Dennis Searing play on video and he plays real sporty (I think he played for FL state championship and made it to the finals?).

putt-putt44
12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Mr. Jeff Olney,,,,,exemplary Cue Maker And Known As ''the Gunner ''in His Day !!!

rangerdos001
12-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Mr. Olney was known as a very strong player back in the day, shares some good company with Rodney.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee187/rangerdos001/BriansTrophy1.jpg

ioCross
12-21-2007, 09:52 PM
on a slight tangent, Rick Philipi of philipi cues really can't play at all.

i heard his dad was pretty good (B player) and taught his son how to build cues.

Darth
12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Nubs Wagner (Nova Cues) is a solid player, Bryan Mordt (BCM Cues) used to play top level pool, and I've seen Dennis Searing play on video and he plays real sporty (I think he played for FL state championship and made it to the finals?).Not only did Dennis win the Florida State Championship in 2000 but he won the tournament before the championship defeating then world ranked #1 Corey Deuel in the winners side and then after plowing through a field consisting of Troy Frank, Santos Sambajon, Tomoki Makari (2007 US open 3rd place finisher), Howard Vickery, and a host of other past champions that didn't cash in the tournament, Dennis met Corey Deuel in the finals. After being down to Corey 8-3 in a race to 13, Dennis won the match 13-8. If this doesn't qualify as being a great accomplishment for a cue maker/player, then I'm going to snap all of my cues in half and take up bowling. Dennis played as a master player on my BCA team in Vegas in 2005 and we finished 5th. He only plays once a week now as he spends all of his time following his passion, making cues. As a friend, I think he is wasting a ton of talent as a player, but as a friend I also enjoy seeing him happy in his pursuit of the perfect cue.

ironman
12-22-2007, 04:44 AM
I appreciate that, ironman. Bill Stack as well as Bigbird is asking about him.

Yep, I'm pretty concerned myself.

Deadon
12-22-2007, 05:36 AM
I think its fair to say that most all cuemakers have a great passion for the sport and have learned to instill that passion in their work. Love em all.

Ken_4fun
12-22-2007, 08:36 AM
When I lived in Springfield Missouri, Andy Gilbert played pretty sporty especially on bar boxes. I have seen him play since and his game went down some as I think he keeps pretty busy with cues.

On a side note, when I lived in Springfield, it was really wierd. EVERYONE played with Gilberts.

We were blessed with a great guy and great cuemaker.

Ken

gulyassy
12-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Any of these fellas have action. I will play any cue maker today for any amount. I play 10 ball, call shot, incoming player has the option except on called safety shots, 10 ball does not count on the break. Bet it all ya all.
Mike

Blackjack
12-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Any of these fellas have action. I will play any cue maker today for any amount. I play 10 ball, call shot, incoming player has the option except on called safety shots, 10 ball does not count on the break. Bet it all ya all.
Mike

Mike,

My money is on you all the way - I'd love to see you and Bobby Hunter match up. I think it would be a great match!

DeadPoked
12-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Mike
I'd put Putnam or Nevel in the box with you if they qualify.

jrhendy
12-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I tried to make a cue once, and even bought a lathe. The first time I cut my finger on the jig I decided this wasn't for me. :eek:

I can replace and shape tips with the best of them though. I used to do it in the back seat of my car. With only glue, sandpaper, a file and a rubber band. And come out with a perfect tip the next day!

I did tips for Keith, Ronnie, Jeff Carter, Jimmy Reid and Tang among others. They'd hand me the cue and I'd go to work in the motel room and voila the next day, it was ready to go. :cool:

When I was running around in the bars, all I carried was a scuffer and some 400 sandpaper. I'd try to find a straight 16 or 17 ounce cue, clean up the shaft and work the tip a little and I was good to go.

It is a little off topic, but talking about putting on tips reminds me of Bellflower Bill who put tips on for everyone around Bellflower for years. If you watched Bill put a tip on it would drive you crazy. He would put your cue together and take it outside and slam it down (the tip) on the cement over and over again very hard. The tips never came off and never mushroomed.

As far as making cues myself, I'm not even allowed to use the power tools on neighborhood projects. I can fetch them and go get the beer, but that's it. John

gulyassy
12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd put Putnam or Nevel in the box with you if they qualify.
I have been building cues for 21 years. Do you think a player that is learning how to put on tips and ferrules qualifies as a cue maker? I will put a 10 year minimum for qualified cue maker, half the time I have in the business. This knocks out a lot of all the people mentioned. I would love to play the 10 ball match with any cue maker that qualifies the (10 year minimum).
I cannot beat Larry or Shawn but I will make a game, especially the cue building game but 10 ball will do.

Fatboy
12-22-2007, 12:02 PM
I think its fair to say that most all cuemakers have a great passion for the sport and have learned to instill that passion in their work. Love em all.

well said, happy holidays

Rtoron
02-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Jerry Terbrock from St.Louis, MO. Very good player. Former state champion.

mortuarymike-nv
02-26-2015, 09:44 PM
I have been building cues for 21 years. Do you think a player that is learning how to put on tips and ferrules qualifies as a cue maker? I will put a 10 year minimum for qualified cue maker, half the time I have in the business. This knocks out a lot of all the people mentioned. I would love to play the 10 ball match with any cue maker that qualifies the (10 year minimum).
I cannot beat Larry or Shawn but I will make a game, especially the cue building game but 10 ball will do.

I think Bobby Hunter was a hell of a shot in his day.

Kent Davis plays good too.

Colonel
02-27-2015, 05:19 AM
Not sure of his game nowadays but Mike Lambros played very well prior to building cues. I have also seen replies by a few here that think a cue maker can't build a good or great cue without the ability to play well but I think that's false. Bob Frey doesn't play at all & makes what I think are the best hitting cues available as well as being involved in Scruggs in their heyday so I think that should demonstrate that ability to play has little to do with ability to build a great cue.

Inaction
02-27-2015, 05:37 AM
Keith Hansen of Keith Kustom Kues is often in the pictures of the top finishing team, and has done well in singles events too.

I have seen him play with a parrot on his shoulder.

Check out his "Cash Money" cue on his website.

Texas Carom Club
02-27-2015, 06:11 AM

mike ,captain hook, sigel makes/made cues?

Scott Lee
02-27-2015, 07:35 AM
In his day? LMAO Bobby just finished high in 2 out of 3 events at the DCC last month. Pretty sure he can still play at a very high level.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think Bobby Hunter was a hell of a shot in his day.

SpiderMan
02-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Sort of an inverse reply, but Mike Erwin (who started with Meucci in the early '70s, then went solo a decade or so later) once told me that he was lucky to make 3 balls in a row. Truth or exaggeration, I don't know, but I never even saw him hold a cue outside his shop. Though he left no doubt that he thought Vivian Villareal was the ultimate!

SpiderMan
02-27-2015, 09:19 AM
mike ,captain hook, sigel makes/made cues?

Yes. I visited his shop in Florida about 10+ years ago. He was playing in the front room with Ewa when we arrived, and took us on a brief tour. He had some nice CNC gear, but he seemed a little new at it all and I don't know who he was learning from.

He used to run ads in Billiards Digest with a picture of himself holding out a cue, captioned "World Champion".

Lynch
02-27-2015, 09:21 AM
Marc Oelslager out of MN makes cues and plays pretty sporty. His stroke is incredible, especially considering he doesn't play much.

Inaction
02-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Marc Oelslager out of MN makes cues and plays pretty sporty. His stroke is incredible, especially considering he doesn't play much.

Marc is the 1990 ACUI 8-ball national champion. I played him at the Regional tournament in Mankato that year. I was very impressed and remembered the name from that point on. After the break, he would take a moment to look the table over, nod his head a little and then run out. I think I managed to get two games on my breaks in the race to 5.

Lynch
03-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Marc is the 1990 ACUI 8-ball national champion. I played him at the Regional tournament in Mankato that year. I was very impressed and remembered the name from that point on. After the break, he would take a moment to look the table over, nod his head a little and then run out. I think I managed to get two games on my breaks in the race to 5.

I think it was around that time or maybe a few years later when he was at his peak. He was even mentioned in the "Running The Table" book and he's got some great stories. He's still capable of playing at a high level now and knocks off big names at tourneys fairly regularly, but he's a little inconsistent from what I've seen. He opened a room in Moorhead, MN not too long ago and may be playing a little more now. He's given me some tips and helped me with some confidence issues and for that, I'll be forever grateful. You don't find that every day from high level players, without having to get in the grease and donate some.....

Baron
03-02-2015, 07:17 PM
I hear the new kid on the block, Eddie Cohen, doesn't shoot half bad.

BmoreMoney
03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Danny Green. Yes DG makes cues!!!! I seriously doubt any cuemaker plays at his level, at least not currently.

Quesports
03-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Joe Gold....

mortuarymike-nv
03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
In his day? LMAO Bobby just finished high in 2 out of 3 events at the DCC last month. Pretty sure he can still play at a very high level.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I was trying to be polite, last time I talked with Bobby was 3 years ago, he said he had some health issues with one or both of his eyes, I really don't remember the exact problem.

We talked about his game and he said is game was way below his normal level of play.

I point blank asked him if he thought he could hang with Shawn P.
He said he didn't think so.

I haven't seen Bobby play sense 2007( I think), I know it was right before he left for Manila to play in the IPT, It could of been 2008 ?

So I said ( In his day because of what Bobby had told me ).
And by no means should be taken as a slam towards Bobby,

one stroke
03-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Danny Green. Yes DG makes cues!!!! I seriously doubt any cuemaker plays at his level, at least not currently.

Really ,, how bout Larry Neval and Shawn Putman ,

dnschmidt
03-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Paul Mottey of Pittsburgh, PA. He, Gary McVay and Don Steele were the best in Western Pennsylvania. Of course none of them were as good as Jimmy Marino.

Shooter08
03-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Really ,, how bout Larry Neval and Shawn Putman ,

I don't think Larry is actively building cues. I could be wrong but last time I talked to him he was shooting with a Harris Custom Cue and got another from us for his girl. It was on his reccomendation that we contacted Rob, who seems to be severely unrecognized in the industry in my opinion. If Larry takes up building cues again independently I can assure you we will be his dealer. If anybody is interested in a cue built by Larry, let us know. THx

p.s. If you want a LD shaft, Larry has no time for them. "Don't care for those predator shafts". "Predator shaft" is the equivilant to asking for a "coke" down south. Lol

DTL
03-03-2015, 01:50 AM

penguin
03-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Tony Guerra of Guerra Cues

Here is one of his last recorded matches before he had to go "undercover"

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10100608

The guy was such a good hustler that he had to keep changing his name... used to be Tony Benfica and before that Tony Maninha (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Tony+Maninha)

:eek:

cueman
03-04-2015, 07:29 AM
I think the best way to settle this question is to have a tournament for established active Cuemakers. We are putting on a Cuemakers International 9 Ball Championship at the Super Billiards Expo in April. We are doing it for charity for the Galilean Childrens Home and the entry donation is $50.
Justin Hightower is the current two time defending champion. So encourage all the cuemakers you think are the best to come play in it. I would love to see Bobby H, Mike G, Larry N and Shawn P play. I feel they are probably some of the best nine ball players that are active cuemakers.

Pass the below information on to your favorites.

http://www.internationalcuemakers.com/?page=events