PDA

View Full Version : Ever have this happen?

leehayes
12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Hey, last night I was playing a match against a player who was ranked 3 higher than me. I was up 5 to 3. I was on and he wasn't. He shot at one of his balls (high) and the cb rolled behind the 2 and stopped. I was standing there talking to a friend so I looked away to speak to him when I hear this guy say "10 ball". I looked back because I'm thinking what kind of shot is he trying to make here he can't even see anything. When I look back the cb is a full 2 inches away from the 2 in clear sight of the 10. Now I know where it was because I watched the cb stop before I looked away. Anyway, I chose to say nothing and he missed his shot and I ran out winning the match 6-3. This guy is a great player but super PO'd that I was thrashing him and I really didn't think I really needed to have an altercation given that I was beating him bad. Anyone ever have this happen? What did you do? Did I do what I should have?

BVal
12-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey, last night I was playing a match against a player who was ranked 3 higher than me. I was up 5 to 3. I was on and he wasn't. He shot at one of his balls (high) and the cb rolled behind the 2 and stopped. I was standing there talking to a friend so I looked away to speak to him when I hear this guy say "10 ball". I looked back because I'm thinking what kind of shot is he trying to make here he can't even see anything. When I look back the cb is a full 2 inches away from the 2 in clear sight of the 10. Now I know where it was because I watched the cb stop before I looked away. Anyway, I chose to say nothing and he missed his shot and I ran out winning the match 6-3. This guy is a great player but super PO'd that I was thrashing him and I really didn't think I really needed to have an altercation given that I was beating him bad. Anyone ever have this happen? What did you do? Did I do what I should have?
It has never happened to me but I would have said something for sure. Well let me take that back. I wouldn't have looked away to begin with but since you did - I would have said something to the guy. You LET him get away with it and therefore he probably thinks he was smooth and will try it again - if not on you it will be someone else

BVal.

IA8baller
12-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Have I ever had someone cheat in league and try to get away with it?

Let's see.........if I use all my fingers and toes I think I can remember most of the times it has happened.:rolleyes:

It happens at least once/twice per year. It's usually the same guys doing it too. Cheaters/dishonesty are always going to be there. Some people are just natural born cheaters/losers...........simple fact of life.

Just feel good knowing you're not one of them, it helps me.:D

leehayes
12-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Have I ever had someone cheat in league and try to get away with it?

Let's see.........if I use all my fingers and toes I think I can remember most of the times it has happened.:rolleyes:

It happens at least once/twice per year. It's usually the same guys doing it too. Cheaters/dishonesty are always going to be there. Some people are just natural born cheaters/losers...........simple fact of life.

Just feel good knowing you're not one of them, it helps me.:D
I have to agree...I believe strongly in karma and he missed the shot he set himself up for anyway. As far as saying anything about it...I'm glad I didn't. I want to be known as the player that beats you not the player who complains about the way you play..cheating or not. It's only league play....if I ever play for money you can guarantee I'll learn from this and watch every shot.

Maniac
12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
My first thought was: "Wasn't there anybody else watching your match that would have seen this?????"

My second thought was, could it have been possible that as you turned your attention away from the table, the cue ball had not fully stopped rolling? I have had shots that I shot where I was so certain that they were going in the pocket that I started eyeing my next shot while moving to another part of the table only to look back and see that my last shot didn't drop. Maybe this happened to you.

Either way, I would NEVER turn my attention away from the table again while shooting this opponent. I myself probably wouldn't have said nothing, depending on the situation (i.e. if he was 6"9", 295 lbs. ;) ).
It's hard to REALLY say what you would do until the situation ACTUALLY arises at some point in one's lifetime.

Keep your eyes on the table at all times, if at all possible!!!!

Maniac

crawfish
12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey, don't turn away. By the way, when you hooked him, if you said something like, "Get outta of that trap you no good mo#$%#!" Then, you both know he was hooked, and you may turn around.

leehayes
12-21-2007, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Maniac]My first thought was: "Wasn't there anybody else watching your match that would have seen this?????"

My second thought was, could it have been possible that as you turned your attention away from the table, the cue ball had not fully stopped rolling? I have had shots that I shot where I was so certain that they were going in the pocket that I started eyeing my next shot while moving to another part of the table only to look back and see that my last shot didn't drop. Maybe this happened to you.

Either way, I would NEVER turn my attention away from the table again while shooting this opponent. I myself probably wouldn't have said nothing, depending on the situation (i.e. if he was 6"9", 295 lbs. ;) ).
It's hard to REALLY say what you would do until the situation ACTUALLY arises at some point in one's lifetime.

You have valid points...as far as someone watching, it's a singles league and even though the place was filled the only person who was watching was the guy I was talking to. As far as the ball stopping, I actually watched it stop and then ***** about the leave. As for not saying anything, I was tempted but chose not to simply because I didn't actually see him move the ball. I'm used to playing in a team league where someone is almost always watching the table so I will have to get into the practice of watching my opponent at all times when they are at the table. Lesson learned...and it didn't cost me a thing.

Fatboy
12-21-2007, 10:13 AM
if you knew for a fact he moved the rock, I would have walked up and picked it up off the table with my right hand(I'm right handed) and asked foran explination, you can awalys set it down, if he dosent like that and wants to fight your holding a CB and I have seen guys get smacked with one, it isnt pretty. He would get the picture real fast, when I have called cheating on a guy and was right they awalys have backed-off, it only happened to me 2 maybe 3 times over the years. When the cheater is busted cheating I will awalys call it, unless its a guy who is known for fighting or has a gun etc.

The most important thing is to remember who did it and keep that info to your self, dont advertize it where ever you play.

cuebuilder
12-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I can't stand cheaters and liars. They are one in the same. I probably would have said something to the guy, beating him or not. I'm not real good at holding my tongue when it comes to cheaters. I wouldn't have yelled at the guy, but I would have made some kind of wise remark about his lack of honesty or his obvious attempt to look better than he is.
His face would be permanently etched into my cheater's file in the back of my brain and I would never again take my eyes off the table.

Tokyo-dave
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
One time when a player I was playing against had ball in hand, he placed the cb on the table, lined up to shoot, and in the middle of his warm up strokes accidentally hit the cb. He looked up with an expression that told me he knew he'd 'pharked' up, but he then started to reposition the cb with the ferrule while still down in position making it appear as if the original hit on the cb wasn't an accident but only part of positioning the cb with the end of his cue. He didn't get out, I did, so I didn't say anything. Lot's of people saw it happen, so I figured that I had my back covered in case I would have decided to say something. To me, having it witnessed by several others was enough.
dave

Neil
12-21-2007, 05:53 PM