PDA

View Full Version : Ever Just Feel Your............

DrCue'sProtege
12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
just never going to get there? in spite of all the time and practice you put in at the table? in spite of all the nice equipment you have? in spite of all the lessons you take? in spite of the occassional really good night when you think its all starting to come together? in spite of all of the books/dvds/espn shows/magazines you accumulate?

this is a really frustrating sport/hobby.............:mad:

DCP

steev
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
take two weeks off, then quit entirely.

-s

Russ Chewning
12-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Nah, I've NEVER felt like "I" won't get there, because I have an ego the size of a house, and literally will not accept defeat. I lose $50 to a guy who I believe I am supposed to beat, and I practice for 12 hours straight one day, and another 12 hours straight the next.

I have often thought however, that YOU will never get there. You just don't have the proper attitude.

Merry Christmas! :D

Russ

James
12-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm going to attempt, in vein I'm sure, to respond sincerely to you for the first time.

Your problem is not the sport, it is not in your equipment or your knowledge. Your problem exists independent of this game and will continue to exist until you acknowledge and deal with it. It will exist for any other endeavor you head down that requires such mental focus and application of knowledge.

You are beating yourself before you ever pick up a cue. You need to fix what is going on inside before any of your study and practice will payoff on the outside.

The people you should be talking to are not pool players.

I mean this all sincerely and I hope you take it that way.

Merry Christmas,
James

Icon of Sin
12-21-2007, 12:48 PM
No, I never feel like that.

I am not trying to "get there". When I practice, I have fun. When I play I have fun. I buy nice equipment and cues because I think it is fun to play with and on nice stuff. I watch pool because I enjoy it. I read the magazines and post on the forums because I like reading and talking about it. I buy the books and learn things from other people because I want to get better, because to me, getting better is fun.

The frustration is gonna come, but if you are getting frustrated like this when just playing by yourself then this is not for you. It sounds like it's work to you. Do you like coming home and working when you get off work?

If you don't like it so much, just quit. What is your goal? You want to go pro I assume?

When it stops being fun you should think about doing something else for recreation.

NineBallNut
12-21-2007, 12:49 PM
This game is major frustrating. Unfortunately, no matter how much you practice and work on your game, if you are not on top of things mentally, it won't matter. This is why I have recently given the game up. I found that I was not willing to put in the effort to be the best I could at the game.I went from playing 6 nights a week to not wanting to touch a cue. I was constantly unhappy and not enjoying the game. Will I play again someday? Maybe. But for me if I am not going to enjoy it, why bother.

So my advice to you DCP, is to take a step back and really decide wether it is worth the effort for you to become a strong player or do you just want to be a casual player. Working on only certain aspects of you game will leave holes that continue to frustrate you and limit your total progress. Nobody wants to be a quitter but sometimes you just gotta say fugg it!!! lol

kildegirl
12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
just never going to get there? in spite of all the time and practice you put in at the table? in spite of all the nice equipment you have? in spite of all the lessons you take? in spite of the occassional really good night when you think its all starting to come together? in spite of all of the books/dvds/espn shows/magazines you accumulate?

DCP

USE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM, NO FRUSTRATION THERE.

HAL HOULE
NO CHARGE
484 623 4144

cubc
12-21-2007, 12:55 PM
become a dominant objectophelia over the 9 ball and when you get through the rack to get to the 9 ball hitting it with the cue ball and making it would be a form of you being dominant over the 9 ball and in turn satisfying your lonely needs giving you the drive an motivation to reach the 9 ball again!

I mean you've tried everything else and are failing miserably.. why not try that?

Scott Lee
12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Icon of Sin...I can assure you, that Mike's goal is NOT to "go pro"! IMO, he is simply like lots of others...always looking for the magic pill, magic tip, magic cue/video/book/instruction, etc. etc. etc....but probably taken a step farther than most (he seems to be unwilling or unable to accept, or apply knowledge as it is given or found). Compliment that with a neverending negative attitude about his own ability (or lack thereof), and you have a recipe for constant dissatisfaction, and unhappiness connected to the game of pool. jmo

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

What is your goal? You want to go pro I assume?

poolplayer2093
12-21-2007, 12:58 PM

DCP

nope! you need to start playing other people instead of just the table in your house. put some pressure on yourself.

Jude Rosenstock
12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
There is no "there". No matter how good you get, unless you're the champion of the world, you're always going to run into people who can beat you and people you can beat. There will always be moments when you're the underdog or the favorite. All you can do is enjoy the ride no matter how good you are or how good you're going to be.

Koop
12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
USE A PROFESSIONAL AIMING SYSTEM, NO FRUSTRATION THERE.

HAL HOULE
NO CHARGE
484 623 4144

Hal,

I implore you, don't do it...Some things just aren't worth it.

Koop

tpdtom
12-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I'll say this. Just generalizing. I played and practiced quite hard for about 10 years. I reached A- , give or take. I saw a few others take up the game and reach A+ or AAA in a year. Granted, they are exceptional, but those are the individuals who reach the highest levels, along with those that start playing at 5 or 6 years old. Most have a ton of natural ability.

I quit playing altogether for 25 years. Now at 56 I'm back, and I think I've about reached where I was before the layoff. It's going to be a great struggle to improve further. I can play smarter, and I can virtually eliminate most glaring bad habits, but age is a big factor. All the instruction in the world can't make up for a lazy practitioner, or for someone who's not willing to be objective and change the basics that we've adopted which may be all wrong. We THINK they're fine, and often resent being told that they need to change. We're fond and proud of our basic style, and resist being told to change it.

I agree with the previous poster that a lot of it might be mental. Focus and concentration go back to your childhood, and your perceptions of competition. It's DEEP :rolleyes: . I wish you the best...Tom

kildegirl
12-21-2007, 01:10 PM

DCP LET US PLAY WITH THE EFREN REYES AIMING SYSTEM. WHAT SAY YOU. NOTHING TO LOSE. ON MY DIME ON THE PHONE FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM.

okinawa77
12-21-2007, 01:12 PM
It wouldn't be worth doing, if it were easy. What I like about billiards is the endless possibilities. I know that I could play a lifetime, and not get bored with it. Don't focus so much on the ultimate end of the road. Just focus on improving every time you shoot. Even the best player in the world has room for improvement. Have you ever seen a player pocket 2 or 3 balls on every shot? Have you ever seen anyone Break and Run 100 games in a row? There is always another level of play to be achieved. Keep your love of the game in your heart, and you'll never lose. It's the journey that makes it worthwhile. The end reward is just icing on the cake.

Scott Lee
12-21-2007, 01:16 PM
tpdtom...well said!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

All the instruction in the world can't make up for a lazy practitioner, or for someone who's not willing to be objective and change the basics that we've adopted which may be all wrong. We THINK they're fine, and often resent being told that they need to change. We're fond and proud of our basic style, and resist being told to change it.

poolhustler
12-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Ever Just Feel Your............ an idiot??

Yes, DCP it has come to that now. I DO feel that you are just a ball of negativity that likes to be kicked around.

Please stop posting.......

Russ...

cigardave
12-21-2007, 01:22 PM

DCP
Sounds like somebody needs to buy himself a new custom cue. :rolleyes:

BVal
12-21-2007, 01:23 PM
The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

BVal

our_auctionguy
12-21-2007, 01:27 PM
nope! you need to start playing other people instead of just the table in your house. put some pressure on yourself.
I suck big time at practice most of the time and lose interest quickly in practicing 9 ball. On occasion, I get fired up and run a rack or two, and those are times when I feel like a champ and am seriously stroking well.

On the occasions where I can't seem to get fired up on 9 ball practice, I play 8 ball against myself playing both sides. I never fail to get serious playing 8 ball and on more occasions than not, the game ends with 1 or no opposing balls left on the table after a one or two inning game. Explain that. sometimes the game lasts longer because I even play defense against myself as I would in a real game.

If I find that I am sucking practicing 8 ball, I have to stop and evaluate whether I have something else on my mind messing with my concentration and attitude and should just quit for the night, or am just bored waiting for somebody to give me a decent challenge. Like most, I rise to the challenge when playng somebody else and on many an occasion somebody watching me practice has come up and offered me the nuts to play them and later regretted it.
I hate practicing.

DrCue'sProtege
12-21-2007, 01:48 PM
well, the neverending negative stuff continues because the negative stuff just seemingly is neverending. i had been doing some practicing lately (including the mother drills), and decided i was going to break some racks of 9-Ball and see how i would do.

after 28 breaks of not having one single chance of running out i was just completely fed up and exasperated. so, finally, on break #29 i got the spread below. i was so completely fed up with the world, and out of it mentally, i managed to hose up this first shot. i missed the 2-Ball which ended up at Point A. and the cue ball ended up at Point B. it was bad enough i missed the shot and position on the 3-Ball if i would have made the shot, but i had left a potential opponent with the out.

after this, i just put the sticks away and quit for the evening.

DCP

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3Bayq3CNdh2DJMS1ESOc3FBMV3GJiJ1HYAt4ICpg2PJfy3QX YJ4RIFw@

RRfireblade
12-21-2007, 01:57 PM
after this, i just put the sticks away and quit for the ever . . . .

DCP

Dang , I got really excited for a second. :)

PKM
12-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Is there any free food at this pity party?

DaveK
12-21-2007, 02:07 PM
When I play I have fun. I buy nice equipment and cues because I think it is fun to play with and on nice stuff. I watch pool because I enjoy it. I read the magazines and post on the forums because I like reading and talking about it. I buy the books and learn things from other people because I want to get better, because to me, getting better is fun.

We should play some day Heath, we'd have a lot of fun methinks.

Dave

Black-Balled
12-21-2007, 02:07 PM
...after 28 breaks of not having one single chance of running out...

Define 'no chance'. One time, at band camp, I didn't have a shot. And I hit the ball hard and it went and it bounced off lots of stuff and it went in the pocket and I didn't have another shot and I hit the ball hard and it went and it bounced off lots of stuff and it went in the pocket and I didn't have another shot and I hit the ball hard and it went and it bounced off lots of stuff and it went in the pocket and I didn't have another shot and then I had run the rack.

I am telling you, you need to be playing 6ball, working your way up. You will get to 9b some day. 9b is easy for the pros, but they play better than us. That is why we go to bed early and get up for work too!

agt
12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
You mean you actually dogged an easy shot and sold out a rack of 9-ball? While you were mentally out of it and just waiting for bad things to happen?? Amazing, that never happens in the real world . . .

Every player at every level gets frustrated (miss an "easy" shot, roll 2 feet past position we've made a thousand times before, etc. etc.). Those that actually enjoy their hobby are able to keep the frustration in perspective, ie. even though we're pissed we dogged that shot, in the scheme of things we're still glad we're out hittin balls.

If you're questioning whether "it's all worth it" (for any hobby, recreation, etc.), you probably already have the answer.

T-dog
12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Your kinda of like the dog that is soooo happy to see his master that he pisses the floor and then the master slaps him upside the head. You saw the out and shit your pants.........lol

well, the neverending negative stuff continues because the negative stuff just seemingly is neverending. i had been doing some practicing lately (including the mother drills), and decided i was going to break some racks of 9-Ball and see how i would do.

after 28 breaks of not having one single chance of running out i was just completely fed up and exasperated. so, finally, on break #29 i got the spread below. i was so completely fed up with the world, and out of it mentally, i managed to hose up this first shot. i missed the 2-Ball which ended up at Point A. and the cue ball ended up at Point B. it was bad enough i missed the shot and position on the 3-Ball if i would have made the shot, but i had left a potential opponent with the out.

DCP

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3Bayq3CNdh2DJMS1ESOc3FBMV3GJiJ1HYAt4ICpg2PJfy3QX YJ4RIFw@

BVal
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM

DCP

DCP,
Have you tried checkers or connect four. Maybe those are your games.

BVal

Patrick Johnson
12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Ever feel like your... just never going to get there?

There is no "there". If you're not enjoying the trip, get off the bus. You're supposed to be having fun.

pj
chgo

crawfish
12-21-2007, 02:54 PM
The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.

BVal

"You are freaking out......man."

"He's already pulled over. He can't pull over any farther."

Meow what do you have to say?

T-dog
12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=crawfish
Meow what do you have to say?[/QUOTE]

I dont have anything to say meow.

BVal
12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
"You are freaking out......man."

"He's already pulled over. He can't pull over any farther."

Meow what do you have to say?
Baco cheese burger - its for a cop......
hold the spit.

td873
12-21-2007, 05:10 PM

DCP
If it was easy to be a star, everyone would be one.

-td

pooltchr
12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
There is no "there". If you're not enjoying the trip, get off the bus. You're supposed to be having fun.

pj
chgo

I think you just hit the nail on the head. DCP...pay attention!

Learning the game of pool is a lifetime journey. It's not all interstate highway...sometimes it's back roads...sometimes you hit a detour and need to back up in order to continue forward. If you are thinking there is a final destination, you are missing the whole point. It's the journey that gives us the pleasure. I hope I never get to "there" because if I did, I would have to give up the game. The pleasure I get from playing pool comes from playing the best I can at the time, and continuing to look for ways to get better.
Steve

Neil
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM

SpiderWebComm
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
LET US PLAY WITH THE EFREN REYES AIMING SYSTEM. WHAT SAY YOU. NOTHING TO LOSE. ON MY DIME ON THE PHONE FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM.

Whatever you do- don't help that guy, Hal!!!

poolhustler
12-21-2007, 07:12 PM
"well, the neverending negative stuff continues because the negative stuff just seemingly is neverending....."

And just who pray tell starts all THIS negativity???

YOU DO ....!!!!

Wake up and smell the coffe........

A large majority of your posts are negative and then you complain when people turn that negativity back on you.

You will just never get it.........

Russ.....

Runnin8
12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
DCP,

You've certainly received enough advice and instruction across the forum and from the multitude of books and dvds you have to choke a horse! Are they working for you? Does it make the game more fun for you?

The resources are there for all of us to use- some better than others. I've read some, used bits, but mostly I just play the game. Its a great game- no other game that I know of has as many variables or requires as much precision to consistently play at the highest levels. Even the best players, though, don't have it together all the time. All the skill and knowledge won't push them through if they aren't enjoying the game at some level. The body listens to the mind too well.

Are you passionate about playing pool? Does it bring you joy? If not, find something that does. Life is too short. If it does, then I'd suggest you watch "Mr. Holland's Opus" and, in particular, the scene where one of his students (Gertrude Lang) is ready to give up the clarinet. I think it may be very applicable to your situation.

Yeah, pool can be like that. Just play.

Peace,
Steve

randyg
12-21-2007, 07:22 PM
NOPE...SPF=randyg

1pRoscoe
12-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Just pull the trigger, dude....

Russ Chewning
12-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Whatever you do- don't help that guy, Hal!!!

Oh.. Even if Hal were the best coach in centuries, I don't think there would be much chance of him actually helping DCP...

Russ

Patrick Johnson
12-21-2007, 08:02 PM
...Even if Hal were the best coach in centuries, I don't think there would be much chance of him actually helping DCP...

I think they could help each other. Hal can finally unload all he knows into a willing vessel with room to spare and virtually no chance of making things worse, and DCP can unload all his anxieties because Hal's Surefire Secret All Purpose Pro System(tm) (SSAPPS) will fix all his problems, and maybe a couple of ours.

pj
chgo

midnightpulp
12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm relatively new here, and the many DCP threads I've read, he just never seems hopeful about his game. This is not meant as an insult, but I'm really curious about his speed and his goals.

Is he a C trying to be B? A B trying to be an A? An A trying to make a breakthrough.

Did he take up the game later in life where progression would be undoubtedly slower compared to someone who grew up with a pool table?

As we get better, we take for granted just how good a C+, B player is within the scope of how many people play this game. Take any banger and tell 'em to run 4 balls in rotation, something a C player can consistently do, and see how they do.

The game can be frustrating, especially when you compare and contrast your game to Pros. You put together a 3 pack and then read about the exploits of Strickland, McCready, etc... and immediately fall into a depression.

Remember, our self-worth isn't determined by how well we play this game. This is coming from someone who has broken cue sticks in frustration. I've chucked my cue case across my front lawn after walking home from a local tourney where I had an A player on the ropes only to choke the match away. My game completely determined my self-worth. These set backs and my overall attitude contributed to my first layoff, which I still regret to this day. I became terrified of failure, rather than accept and learn from it. I still am to a degree. I've been drilling a lot, getting my stroke back, but haven't played the ghost in a while for that reason.

Keep at it. A breakthrough will happen.

I rack balls
12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Nope.

Eric.

cardsfan
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM

DCP
The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and each time expecting a different result.

DCP, just playing pool is not going to make you a happy person. For example, you've read the books, watched the videos, and studied the spreads, done you're homework, right? You've put in the work! But yet you're still not progressing. Why?

Because that's all external work. You got to change the man inside. (I never thought I would use this quote, but here it goes) "Pool excellence is not about excellent pool. It's about becoming something." What is it you want to become? Hopefully, more than just a good pool player.

Change your mindset on life and your pool game will follow with it. Want proof? Just last night at league, a girl on my team (APA 4), married for 4 years, trying to have kids for 3.5 years found out Tuesday that after going through In vitro fertilization, she's finally pregnant. Everything about her was positive, from facial expressions to how she walked, her posture....everything. First rack, break and run. Second rack, snapped the nine. Third rack, safety break, got ball in hand, ran out. This went on and on. Note, she's an APA 4 who just beat the hell out of an APA 5 (18-2). Bottom line...confidence breeds success.

Good luck DCP,

Mike

cardsfan
12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
"well, the neverending negative stuff continues because the negative stuff just seemingly is neverending....."

And just who pray tell starts all THIS negativity???

YOU DO ....!!!!

Wake up and smell the coffe........

A large majority of your posts are negative and then you complain when people turn that negativity back on you.

You will just never get it.........

Russ.....
Cut him some slack. Did you ever think maybe he needs help and doesn't know how to ask? (Sorry, I sound like a commercial) But seriously, DCP is definitely a "glass is half empty" kind of guy. Maybe he doesn't realize it.

cardsfan
12-21-2007, 09:07 PM
DCP,

You've certainly received enough advice and instruction across the forum and from the multitude of books and dvds you have to choke a horse! Are they working for you? Does it make the game more fun for you?

The resources are there for all of us to use- some better than others. I've read some, used bits, but mostly I just play the game. Its a great game- no other game that I know of has as many variables or requires as much precision to consistently play at the highest levels. Even the best players, though, don't have it together all the time. All the skill and knowledge won't push them through if they aren't enjoying the game at some level. The body listens to the mind too well.

Are you passionate about playing pool? Does it bring you joy? If not, find something that does. Life is too short. If it does, then I'd suggest you watch "Mr. Holland's Opus" and, in particular, the scene where one of his students (Gertrude Lang) is ready to give up the clarinet. I think it may be very applicable to your situation.

Yeah, pool can be like that. Just play.

Peace,
Steve
Great advice! Positive rep for you!!

Icon of Sin
12-21-2007, 09:22 PM
We should play some day Heath, we'd have a lot of fun methinks.

Dave
Count me in! I agree!

You coming to VF?

poolhustler
12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Cut him some slack. Did you ever think maybe he needs help and doesn't know how to ask? (Sorry, I sound like a commercial) But seriously, DCP is definitely a "glass is half empty" kind of guy. Maybe he doesn't realize it.

He has "asked" the wrong way a million times and people here have tried to help him a ZILLION times. It NEVER helps, he never changes.....it's like Ground Hog Day!!!

Cut him some slack?? Nope....won't happen......:D

Russ....

Mark Avlon
12-22-2007, 12:11 AM

Do you think about what you need to change to get the result you want, or do you simply get frustrated and quit? What changes could you make to the tip position and / or speed make the cue ball land on your target? Setup that shot and experiment until you know what speed and spin you need.

softshot
12-22-2007, 12:55 AM

You can look at 28 different spreads and not see any run outs....how is that even possible unless your missing the rack.

do you think there is a magic break shot that will leave you an easy run out every time?? there's not.

it sounds to me like you don't know how to read a table. sometimes there is one really tough shot that opens the whole thing up, find it, and make it.

sometimes there are a few harder than average shots but there is ALWAYS a way out. sometimes the percentages are not in your favor, thats when you play safe. but there is always a road home ... it may be above your skill level, but I assure you its there.

I mean seriously do you keep a box of kleenex in your cue case so you can cry over every miss?

Everyone misses... all the time.

Mosconi's great run had an end. Everyones great run has an end. the longer you can last until the end is what makes it a great run... but it still ends.

you seem to be throwing your great run away after the break because its not easy enough. that is just flat out weak.

we don't keep playing this game because its easy... we keep playing because its hard.

every shot is testing a theory.
If I hit the cue ball on that spot and make it travel that line to knock in that ball, bring the cue ball off the rail and leave me position for that other ball.

will it work??

I am not certain ... thats why I shoot it... to find out.

there are billions of possible positions for any one ball to land on a slate. and billions of possible positions for the cue ball to end up in relation to that ball. add in all the other balls and their own billions of positions and the result is practically infinite. thats where reading a table comes in.

Seems to me that if you really wanted to quit you would have. Whats the point of going online to whine about it? you want us to talk you out of it?? personally I could give a sh*t less if you ever pick up a cue again. it makes exactly 0% difference in my life. if you don't want to play ... then don't play.

if you want to get better stop expecting it to be easy. it will never be easy to anyone.

Thats the only reason we play.

poolhustler
12-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Mike just likes to come on here and whine like a little baby.......

He likes the attention, good or bad.........

He is a negative person......