PDA

View Full Version : Power off the break!

9 ball
12-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I was in the club today playing and from the start of the session to the end I was killing the break and squatting the rock with control and ending up with a shot but I was only hitting dead centre of the cb 10% of the time. :confused:

That got me thinking about why this was happening, and then it hit me usually I wear sneakers in the club which are very light but today I was wearing dress shoes with a thick heel so that when I have them on they are very heavy and force my feet down to the floor, this causes very little movement in my lower body.

So what I was wondering is am I reading too much into this or could the weight of the shoes actually be helping?.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but its been bugging me as I never normally crush the break the way I was today because I'm a C player at best.

Gerry
12-21-2007, 04:00 PM
uhhh, I'd say the shoes had very little to do with the break besides maybe giving you a little different perspective on the table.

I would suggest slowing everything down on the break. Meaning, play the break at 1/2 speed only trying to hit a firm stop shot on the head ball in the rack. Ramp up your speed AS NEEDED if you are making balls AND controling the cueball at a lower speed continue doing so. No reason to pound the rack and lose control if a slower controled break is working. A you get more confident....hit em as hard as you can control em!:D

Gerry

socks
12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
i generally crush the break and i almost never wear shoes at all. my guess is the change in comfort level and perspective had you slowing down your break, which caused you to be alittle more consitant and better.