PDA

View Full Version : Bay area pool in the 60's-70's

fan-tum
12-21-2007, 07:23 PM
When I lived in the 'Frisco bay area in the late 60's--early 70's, I became a big fan of the local 9-ball tourneys and got to see and appreciate a lot of good players like Denny Searcey, Al the plumber, Frank the barber, Smiley, Sax Dal Porto, Tom Ryan, Gene Starry, Tony Annigoni, etc.
Does anyone have a current history of any or all of them. I know about Almanza and Annigoni, but hopefully the rest are alive and kicking. I was especially impressed by Searcey.
A lot of the action was at Town and Country Billiaetc.rds,Blue Carpet bil.,
One last question-There was a room proprietor in Alameda, a great guy,either of Greek or Italian blood, who shot a good game, and toured for a while later with Mosconi on exhibitions---anyone know his name or current state?

kildegirl
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Hal Houle,

Knew All Of Them

Living In Pa Now

484 623 4144

Jaden
12-21-2007, 10:30 PM
When I lived in the 'Frisco bay area in the late 60's--early 70's, I became a big fan of the local 9-ball tourneys and got to see and appreciate a lot of good players like Denny Searcey, Al the plumber, Frank the barber, Smiley, Sax Dal Porto, Tom Ryan, Gene Starry, Tony Annigoni, etc.
Does anyone have a current history of any or all of them. I know about Almanza and Annigoni, but hopefully the rest are alive and kicking. I was especially impressed by Searcey.
One last question-There was a room proprietor in Alameda, a great guy,either of Greek or Italian blood, who shot a good game, and toured for a while later with Mosconi on exhibitions---anyone know his name or current state?

I just played with Frank the Barber, and not only is he alive and kicking, he's shooting pretty close to lights out...

I was hoping to get to play him but I made a few mistakes playing another strong player...Ramin and I was unable to get to him... From what I saw though, he was hitting them pretty sporty and I would've had a run for my money in beating him....

jay helfert
12-21-2007, 10:35 PM

Searcy and Dal Porto gone to that poolroom in the sky. Gene Stary and Tony A. work together on the USPPA events. Ryan is a retired cop as far as I know, and Al the Plumber is alive and well last I heard. Joe Smiley is still around too.