PDA

View Full Version : The best one-handed jack-up players

fan-tum
12-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Now that we're getting questions about "best" players, who plays the best jacked-up one-handed? I played a Mexican guy named Chuy at Baker's billiards in Fontana,ca. who could give Ronnie Allen and 'pots and pans' a run for the money. We played 8-ball,race to 3, and-this is the truth- he ran 2 racks and nearly the third. I'd like to know if Jay has seen him.

Fragged
12-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Now that we're getting questions about "best" players, who plays the best jacked-up one-handed? I played a Mexican guy named Chuy at Baker's billiards in Fontana,ca. who could give Ronnie Allen and 'pots and pans' a run for the money. We played 8-ball,race to 3, and-this is the truth- he ran 2 racks and nearly the third. I'd like to know if Jay has seen him.

I know two but they both would be pissed if outed here. They want to keep that powder dry for the BIG fight.

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Of course I know Chuey, but Little Sergio was better. Ronnie was far and away the best One Handed One Pocket player ever. And Weldon Rogers was probably the best on a bar table.

Drew
12-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I lost $20 because I didn't think this guy could make this shot.
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAOi2PYDf3UAOi4Ucxn2kYDf3kCjj@

He then asked me for the 7 playing one-handed jacked-up. Naturally I declined.

Drew
12-22-2007, 09:10 AM

I know a Chuy. What's his last name?

hippiepool
12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I think "chewey" is a nickname for jesus (hey sous ) ....but I could be wrong .....

ironman
12-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Of course I know Chuey, but Little Sergio was better. Ronnie was far and away the best One Handed One Pocket player ever. And Weldon Rogers was probably the best on a bar table.

What happened with Weldon? Haven't seen or heard of him in years.

PIRANHA
12-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Marty Kyman was the best I saw and Fats wouldn't match up with him in J.C.,Ill.

jimmyg
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Different Puerto Rican
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg
Don't know if I'm talking about the same person, but back in the late sixtys, there was a latin, probably a Puerto Rican that played some unbelieveable one-handed pool in either Ames or 7-11 in New York.
Don't remember his real name, or it's correct spelling, but it was pronounced "A-Goose-A-Tay". Same person?

Antonio (Aguzatate) Montalvo and "Little Miami" were two different players. Both played phenomenal 1handed pool. Miami personally told me he thought he could beat anybody alive playing 9 ball or rotation EXCEPT Aguzatate. There was another great Puerto Rican 1 handed player whom I did not know, but only heard of. His name was Chico from Puerto Rico. He was in Miami when I was there in the 60s but I never met him. He was rated as the best bumper pool player in the world. Anybody know anything about him?
(Artie beat Aguzatate playing 1handed 8 ball)

the Beard

jrhendy
12-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Different Puerto Rican
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Don't know if I'm talking about the same person, but back in the late sixtys, there was a latin, probably a Puerto Rican that played some unbelieveable one-handed pool in either Ames or 7-11 in New York.
Don't remember his real name, or it's correct spelling, but it was pronounced "A-Goose-A-Tay". Same person?

Antonio (Aguzatate) Montalvo and "Little Miami" were two different players. Both played phenomenal 1handed pool. Miami personally told me he thought he could beat anybody alive playing 9 ball or rotation EXCEPT Aguzatate. There was another great Puerto Rican 1 handed player whom I did not know, but only heard of. His name was Chico from Puerto Rico. He was in Miami when I was there in the 60s but I never met him. He was rated as the best bumper pool player in the world. Anybody know anything about him?

the Beard

Ernesto Dominguez used to play very good jacked up and beat one of the New York players for a big number years ago. His son Oscar sometimes posts here and maybe he can ask which guy he beat or someone else on here mught know. I believe Ernesto would tell you he couldn't beat Little Sergio, who was unnbelieveable on a bar box with the big ball. John

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Different Puerto Rican

Quote:

the Beard

Goosatay (as he was commonly called) was probably the best one handed player of all time. Even Ronnie wanted no part of him at any game but One Pocket. I saw Little Miami and Little Sergio play at different times. I would give the nod to Sergio, but not at One Pocket. And Miami wanted no part of Ronnie playing One Handed One Hole.

Ktown D
12-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Jr is still around but he doesn't play pool anymore that I am aware of. He mostly fishes and does a little card playing.

He did play pretty good one handed, didn't he?

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Marty Kyman was the best I saw and Fats wouldn't match up with him in J.C.,Ill.

Martin Kaiman, aka Omaha Fats, had no chance against the other guys mentioned here. He would have ducked them like the plague.

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I think "chewey" is a nickname for jesus (hey sous ) ....but I could be wrong .....

Jesus "Chuey" Rivera. Out of Colorado.

MHarris
12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
On another forum, Ray Zee of poker fame was asking if anyone had seen or heard from a guy named Miami from North Jersey. Ray swore he was the best one-handed player he ever saw, but he didn't mention jacked-up play. Anyone here know him, or know any stories about him?

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 10:06 AM
On another forum, Ray Zee of poker fame was asking if anyone had seen or heard from a guy named Miami from North Jersey. Ray swore he was the best one-handed player he ever saw, but he didn't mention jacked-up play. Anyone here know him, or know any stories about him?

He's talking about Little Miami, who's only about 5'2" tall. He is still alive last I heard. He must be well into his 70's by now.

jrhendy
12-22-2007, 10:16 AM

Wasn't Chuey Rivera also a monster last pocket eight ball player? When Poker Paul & I were in Denver many years ago, Danny Medina was going to do me a favor and steer me to a sucker in a bar outside of town. It was Chuey and I knew him from Fourth & Main in LA and Danny never got his jellyroll on that one. John

cubswin
12-22-2007, 10:19 AM

Weldon was pretty damn good on the bar table from my memory. Can remember watching him shooting one handed before a tournament, just running racks. 20 years ago or so.

fan-tum
12-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Jay-remember Bunny Rogoff? Saw him at Stardust Open in the 70's. Excellent jack-up player. He placed at Riviera amateur 8-ball tourney 2 yrs. ago.

Drew
12-22-2007, 10:23 AM

He's still around.

Drew
12-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Wasn't Chuey Rivera also a monster last pocket eight ball player? When Poker Paul & I were in Denver many years ago, Danny Medina was going to do me a favor and steer me to a sucker in a bar outside of town. It was Chuey and I knew him from Fourth & Main in LA and Danny never got his jellyroll on that one. John

I wouldn't trust Danny Medina with a quarter.

DRW
12-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I remember Diamond's own Greg Sullivan in the 70's playing with his one finger of his right hand pretty sporty. Danny shouldn't be trusted with a nickel, let alone a quarter.

Dgerst
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
He's still around.

Rivera's been plying a while. He used to turn up at Mom & Pops in Dodge City back in the 80's. He was pretty though on a bar box back then. Does he still line in CO?

jay helfert
12-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Jay-remember Bunny Rogoff? Saw him at Stardust Open in the 70's. Excellent jack-up player. He placed at Riviera amateur 8-ball tourney 2 yrs. ago.

This guy has had more identities than any pool player I know. He was "Pots and Pans" in the Johnston City days, "Bunny the Bell Hop" in Miami in the 70's, and is now starring as Charlie Chaplin at various pool events. He can still play too, winning the Super Seniors at the BCA a few years back.

He has a great string of "one liners" if you ever run into him.

Tin Man
12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
im trying to get an idea of what speed they played jacked up.

For example, how many could they run in straight pool? I heard about a guy running 70 or 80 that way, did they play about like that or even better???

Wedge
12-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Geese (Michael Gerace) was a very good one handed jack-up player from the Glen Burnie, Maryland area. I'm surprised JAM hasn't responded to this thread yet about Geese. Chime in at any time JAM.

Wedge

!Smorgass Bored
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Geese (Michael Gerace) was a very good one handed jack-up player from the Glen Burnie, Maryland area. I'm surprised JAM hasn't responded to this thread yet about Geese. Chime in at any time JAM.

Wedge

Good luck wit dat.
Doug
( I think that JAM is currently shopping for an "Automatic Detonating Button" for some of AZB's members ) :)

trainer
12-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Good luck wit dat.
Doug
( I think that JAM is currently shopping for an "Automatic Detonating Button" for some of AZB's members ) :)
Warren Costanza was mighty powerful playin one pocket with the wing..He absolutely ruined a road trip i had planned in the mid-70s..
Terry O.:o

Drew
12-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Rivera's been plying a while. He used to turn up at Mom & Pops in Dodge City back in the 80's. He was pretty though on a bar box back then. Does he still line in CO?

He lives in Denver. He's still a strong player, but nothing to write home about.

vagabond
12-23-2007, 08:07 AM
This guy has had more identities than any pool player I know. He was "Pots and Pans" in the Johnston City days, "Bunny the Bell Hop" in Miami in the 70's, and is now starring as Charlie Chaplin at various pool events. He can still play too, winning the Super Seniors at the BCA a few years back.

He has a great string of "one liners" if you ever run into him.

the other day pots & pans invited himself to my table wanting to play scotch doubles ( I was with two ladies ).I did not care to talk to him and he then walked away.I do not like his very intrusive behavior and his inability to learn when to quit his one liners.

regards chuey: one has to have enormous amount of tolerance for his shark moves.I do not have that tolerance.:cool:

Voodoo Daddy
12-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Best I ever saw was Ronnie Allen and that was much later in his life, dominate to say the least. The other guy that comes to mind is "Pancho"...maybe the Beard can tell a his story better than I.

mbvl
12-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Bucktooth was real good, too.

jrhendy
12-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Bucktooth was real good, too.

I don't remember seeing the Tooth play much jacked up, but he was right behind Ronnie IMO playing one handed one pocket using the rail. He used to play a guy named Fingers in LA in the 60's, and they played $50/$100 a game in those days. Fingers was a great one handed player too, but not quite good enough to get by the Tooth. The equipment was softer then, but you did see some eight and outs once and a while. John

jay helfert
12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
the other day pots & pans invited himself to my table wanting to play scotch doubles ( I was with two ladies ).I did not care to talk to him and he then walked away.I do not like his very intrusive behavior and his inability to learn when to quit his one liners.

regards chuey: one has to have enormous amount of tolerance for his shark moves.I do not have that tolerance.:cool:

Don't worry Vag, I'll let his Mom know he's been a bad boy. ;)

Hope to see you in Louisville.

mbvl
12-23-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't remember seeing the Tooth play much jacked up, but he was right behind Ronnie IMO playing one handed one pocket using the rail. He used to play a guy named Fingers in LA in the 60's, and they played $50/$100 a game in those days. Fingers was a great one handed player too, but not quite good enough to get by the Tooth. The equipment was softer then, but you did see some eight and outs once and a while. John

John,

At one of Terry's tournaments (at El Rancho IIRC) he matched up with someone for $200 a game jacked-up one-pocket and Tooth had a really beautiful eight-and-out with almost all the balls still tightly bunched. The other guy (who I didn't recognize) pulled up after three games.

Mark

TWOFORPOOL
12-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I saw Efren play Ronnie Allen 15 Ball rotation one time in the air at the Sports Arena (seems like 20 years ago) in Anaheim, CA. They were playing 1,300.00 per game and Efren broke one handed in the air and run out to 61 points. Efren ended winning that day 3 games ahead as I recall. I do remember asking myself "Why even play this game".

Bigdogbret
12-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Best I have seen is Jesse Allred. He lives in Washington now. Plays great jacked up one hole and I have personally seen him run multiple racks of nine ball jacked up.

rackmsuckr
07-17-2010, 08:21 PM
You're right Bret. Jesse is a monster at one-handed, jacked up BEHIND THE BACK. He has his own youtube channel.

Even his son 2 year old son Max can shoot a little one-handed.

Here they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aeiT2UwKw4&feature=related

One-handed masse, jump and trick shots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIj6eKKsUJw

Jesse shooting one-handed speed pool. It has a couple crazy combos at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOVPhH8V88&feature=related

One-handed straight pool run of 27. He recently ran a 105 two-handed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaP0mf6jzT8&NR=1

His other videos make breaking and running an 8 ball, 9 ball, banks, and one pocket rack seem like child's play. All one-handed jacked up.

h2o4170
09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
This Jesse Alrdred guy plays pretty sporty but I havent seen him match up with anyone.I used to watch Miami play over in Detroit and that guy could just flat play that game.Hes living in Puerto Rico now.

ironman
09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Martin Kaiman, aka Omaha Fats, had no chance against the other guys mentioned here. He would have ducked them like the plague.

Marty did a thing for Wide World of Sports and Celebrity Lanes in Denver years ago.
Mary stood there in his White T-shirt and went through "Best jack up player in the world" speech.
Ti took him 21 attempts to make his spot shot.
he irritated many and many of us he entertained!!

Bill S
09-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Jay

I saw Monk (Warren C) play many times one handed jacked up at Great American Billiards) in Sacramento. How would he stack up against the best?

Bill Stock

bmsclayton
09-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I saw them play one handed jacked up banks for roughly 20 k. George beat Fargo pretty quickly in a 6 ahead set I believe. It happend in Cape Girardeau right before I bought it about a year and a half ago. They did not miss too many.

JesseAllred
09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I played Ronnie Allen jacked up one pocket for $100 a game when I was 19 in Vegas and he was the best I've ever seen. would have loved to see the Goose play, or is it Geese?

9BallPaul
09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
There was a day in Denver when I carted around Fat Marty in my '54 Volkswagen. He had a helluva time entering and exiting, but I enjoyed his company and his stories. He beat me out of five bucks a couple times. He played jacked up OK, but only for quarters. But what a guy.

DoubleA
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Weldon was pretty damn good on the bar table from my memory. Can remember watching him shooting one handed before a tournament, just running racks. 20 years ago or so.Yes, and Jr played jacked up, not off the rail. His break was a thing of beauty. He would jackup,take a couple of steps backward, and run at the table. Once he beat another guy I know out of a large sum of money by executing the following shot during the match. He climbed up into the middle of a 9ft table(no rule against it) on his knees,jacked up one handed in the air, jumped a ball, made the object ball and drew his rock back half the length of the table for position on the next shot.

book collector
09-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Parica played jacked up pretty sporty years ago. I never saw Ronnie play but if Jesse says he was the best thats good enough for me.

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Jay

I saw Monk (Warren C) play many times one handed jacked up at Great American Billiards) in Sacramento. How would he stack up against the best?

Bill Stock

Monk may heave been the second best "Jacked-Up" One Handed, One Pocket players, after Ronnie. I doubt that Ronnie would give him any more than 9-8. I think 8-7 would have been too much. Cooney was also in Monk's league.

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Yes, and Jr played jacked up, not off the rail. His break was a thing of beauty. He would jackup,take a couple of steps backward, and run at the table. Once he beat another guy I know out of a large sum of money by executing the following shot during the match. He climbed up into the middle of a 9ft table(no rule against it) on his knees,jacked up one handed in the air, jumped a ball, made the object ball and drew his rock back half the length of the table for position on the next shot.

Good story, and absolutely true. Junior was the master one handed on a bar box. Even Ronnie and Miami couldn't beat him there.

richiebalto
09-23-2010, 04:30 AM
I played Ronnie Allen jacked up one pocket for $100 a game when I was 19 in Vegas and he was the best I've ever seen. would have loved to see the Goose play, or is it Geese?

i knew geese personaly he was a thing of beauty when it came to pool.70s and 80s no one on the east coast could beat geese in one pocket then along came papa parica

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 08:46 AM
i knew geese personaly he was a thing of beauty when it came to pool.70s and 80s no one on the east coast could beat geese in one pocket then along came papa parica

No one knows Geese (Mike Gerace) better than our own Jam. I'd like to hear what she has to say about him. He was short, chubby and looked nothing like the great pool hustler that he was. Died way too young as well (barely 50 if that).

cuesmith
09-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I watched Ernesto win a couple of sets for 10K each, one-handed 9-ball in Atlantic City at the "Last Call For 9-Ball" tourney around 1985. He played some Canadian Snooker champ. The first set Ernesto won easily playing "you can use the rail". When it was over the Canadian woofed that he rob Ernesto if they played "Jacked up" which Ernesto proved him wrong again. He broke and ran the last 3 racks, jacked up one-handed. I know Ronnie is considered the best one handed player, ever, but I don't think he'd have liked his end of it, that day!

fasteddief
09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Actually it was in 1986 in Resorts casino in AC. This was the tournament where Sigel lost his first match against parica then went on to win 11 straight matches to win the tournament. The match with Ernesto was between him and Mike Seidel from Baltimore one handed jacked up. It was a race to 9 for 10k plus 500 a game extra. The set went hill hill when Mike had a tough scratch going three rails around the table and the cue ball just trickled in the corner pocket with the 9-ball sitting on the bottom rail. I know this for a fact because I was the one who held the post.

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Actually it was in 1986 in Resorts casino in AC. This was the tournament where Sigel lost his first match against parica then went on to win 11 straight matches to win the tournament. The match with Ernesto was between him and Mike Seidel from Baltimore one handed jacked up. It was a race to 9 for 10k plus 500 a game extra. The set went hill hill when Mike had a tough scratch going three rails around the table and the cue ball just trickled in the corner pocket with the 9-ball sitting on the bottom rail. I know this for a fact because I was the one who held the post.

This story brings back some good memories for me. I had a small piece of Ernesto's action that day (and night). It took him a while to raise the 10K to play Mike. And it was Mike Seidel, not Sigel. They often got confused because of their names, not their games. :wink:

I roomed with Sir Keithly that trip. He won some money playing pool and promptly gave it all back to the casino. He was a good customer that way.

u12armresl
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Junior was the best, there is no question about it.

Even a bit out of his prime he played incredible pool, runout, runout, runout, all day long.

I put on a tournament in 90 which he came to where all the good players were and he offered some games where he got odds on the money and the other people could use both hands either giving him a ball or games on the wire. It was no contest.

u12armresl
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
He's not even in the same country as the others mentioned.

Those are videos you are watching of someone shooting around, there is no cash on the line, no pressure, and for sure no champion waiting to pounce when you miss.

Best I have seen is Jesse Allred. He lives in Washington now. Plays great jacked up one hole and I have personally seen him run multiple racks of nine ball jacked up.

richiebalto
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
This story brings back some good memories for me. I had a small piece of Ernesto's action that day (and night). It took him a while to raise the 10K to play Mike. And it was Mike Seidel, not Sigel. They often got confused because of their names, not their games. :wink:

I roomed with Sir Keithly that trip. He won some money playing pool and promptly gave it all back to the casino. He was a good customer that way.

if it was seidel you guys were stealing big time.seidelis from my area he never play near top speed

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
if it was seidel you guys were stealing big time.seidelis from my area he never play near top speed

Shhhhhhh!!!!!

Joey V
09-23-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree that in the long run Ernesto did have way the best of it, but if you carefully read the above post the set was hill hill and went down to the last ball. Seidel was never world class but he was slow, methodical and capable of winning any one set. He was also an outstanding shot maker one handed jacked up which made him dangerous. Considering all of this I wouldn't say anyone was stealing in this match, 10k has a way of closing the gap

richiebalto
09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree that in the long run Ernesto did have way the best of it, but if you carefully read the above post the set was hill hill and went down to the last ball. Seidel was never world class but he was slow, methodical and capable of winning any one set. He was also an outstanding shot maker one handed jacked up which made him dangerous. Considering all of this I wouldn't say anyone was stealing in this match, 10k has a way of closing the gap

anyone is capable of winning one set .but i do understand what u mean

richiebalto
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Shhhhhhh!!!!!

jay u always had the best of it back then? thats why u write books and have all the money:smart man

Blue Hog ridr
09-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I've never had the opportunity to see the other greats play cause distance is a factor, but, I'd be willing to bet JesseAlred would be no pushover, even in a high stakes pressure situation.

cuesmith
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Well it may be the "mad cow" ;) but I believe that Ernesto played a Canadian champ the year before, winning 2 sets, first one playing they could use the rail and the second set "jacked up" and if IRC he won the first set 9-5 and the second set 9-6, running out the last 3 racks the second set jacked up! I distinctly remember the Canadian having one of those retractable key chains that clipped on his belt with a chalk holder where the keys would be and he'd pull it out and chalk his cue and let the thing whip back into the holder. I sat through both sets and I'm pretty confident about that. I don't believe we made the '86 tournament!

Joey V
09-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I believe Seidel also played the canadian champ you are referring to as a warm up for his match with Ernesto in 86. Seidel beat him one set for a thousand. I remember hearing about this guy's chalk holder. I could be wrong but I think they called him Frenchy or something like that.

jay helfert
09-23-2010, 09:35 PM
I believe Seidel also played the canadian champ you are referring to as a warm up for his match with Ernesto in 86. Seidel beat him one set for a thousand. I remember hearing about this guy's chalk holder. I could be wrong but I think they called him Frenchy or something like that.

Or something like Vincent Facquet. ;)

Donkey Puncher
09-27-2010, 06:51 AM
He's not even in the same country as the others mentioned.

Those are videos you are watching of someone shooting around, there is no cash on the line, no pressure, and for sure no champion waiting to pounce when you miss.
This is amazing. Anyone with spare time in the Pac NW can come get you some.$$ I will bet you or anyone you know cannot beat him even one pocket jacked up.

book collector
09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
I just remembered watching George Breedlove playing jacked up against someone years ago, his opponent played better than most people I have seen but Breedlove seemed to play runout from about anywhere. I would like to see a game between him and Jesse but I would think Jesse wins.
Sad thing is I couldn't beat either 1 of them using both hands. If only I had not had to work all those years{just kidding}.

DoubleA
09-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Good story, and absolutely true. Junior was the master one handed on a bar box. Even Ronnie and Miami couldn't beat him there. Junior was no slouch on the big table either. One thing about Junior, he could get the money. The bigger the stakes, the better he played, and one off his strenghts was in matching up. I have only seen him actually get trapped one time.