PDA

View Full Version : TAR interviews Shane Van Boening/ 45 min Video Interview

JCIN
12-22-2007, 03:26 PM

Shane and I sat down last night and talked about the year he has had and where he is headed. I asked him most of the questions that were posted in yesterday's question thread.

I think Shane did a great job in the interview. He was very honest about a few things that may surprise some people. There is even video of the legendary wand of wonder that is Shane's playing cue. :D

You need the free DivX player ( www.divx.com ) to watch it on our site (no whining...just get it...it's the nuts :D) if you already have the DivX player, they just released a new version so it will probably ask you to download it. You do not have to if don't want. The video works fine with the old player. You can view it here:

http://www.theactionreport.com/SVB_Interview_12_22_07.html

Many thanks to Shane for taking the time to sit down with us, we appreciate it very much. Also look for a new interview series based along the lines of this one. This one was called The Action Interview but someone who is way smarter than me came up with the best name ever for an interview show (you know who you are) so naturally I am gonna heist it. Hopefully we come out of the Derby with a few more of these.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to everyone from the crew at TheActionReport.com

Joe Rogan
12-22-2007, 05:01 PM
The Action Report Strikes again!

Seriously, you guys are the best thing happening for pool right now.

Matt_24
12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Awesome interview.

You guys are doing some awesome work. Please keep it up!

magix
12-22-2007, 06:43 PM
could i get some help please.i'v already installed the divx player and the update.when i go to the site to view it i get a blank page and i'm told to install the divx player update which i'v already done.help-please. george

magix
12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks be for the wife.merry christmas.

yobagua
12-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I dont know why I have a buffering problem. Please dont tell me its the speed of my computer because I am paying a lot to have the speed I have. Its a brand new Toshiba lap top. Besides the DSL I have mobile broadband and still its taking me time to buffer the damn thing. Already its 15 minutes and I just have 15%. I just dont know what to do

JoeyA
12-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Shane and I sat down last night and talked about the year he has had and where he is headed. I asked him most of the questions that were posted in yesterday's question thread.

I think Shane did a great job in the interview. He was very honest about a few things that may surprise some people. There is even video of the legendary wand of wonder that is Shane's playing cue. :D

You need the free DivX player ( www.divx.com ) to watch it on our site (no whining...just get it...it's the nuts :D) if you already have the DivX player, they just released a new version so it will probably ask you to download it. You do not have to if don't want. The video works fine with the old player. You can view it here:

http://www.theactionreport.com/SVB_Interview_12_22_07.html

Many thanks to Shane for taking the time to sit down with us, we appreciate it very much. Also look for a new interview series based along the lines of this one. This one was called The Action Interview but someone who is way smarter than me came up with the best name ever for an interview show (you know who you are) so naturally I am gonna heist it. Hopefully we come out of the Derby with a few more of these.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to everyone from the crew at TheActionReport.com

Merry Christmas to everyone at THEACTIONREPORT.COM.

The interview with Shane was great. I didn't know Shane was the proprietor of Lucky's Pool Room. Now I know where to get some one pocket action when I'm on the road. :D Oh, I forgot, I have to get past Jay Helfert first at the DCC. :eek:

Seriously, Shane seems solid in his thinking, his perspective about pool in general and of course his game is ROCK SOLID.

Thanks for a great interview. It was enjoyable. I really like the way Shane continuously and sincerely complimented all of the other professional pool players. Shane is very generous with his respect. He will get a lot of respect in return.

JoeyA

JoeyA
12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I dont know why I have a buffering problem. Please dont tell me its the speed of my computer because I am paying a lot to have the speed I have. Its a brand new Toshiba lap top. Besides the DSL I have mobile broadband and still its taking me time to buffer the damn thing. Already its 15 minutes and I just have 15%. I just dont know what to do

You did upload the DIVX program, right?
That's the only thing I can think of.
DIVX ROCKS!JoeyA

derekdisco
12-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Ronnie Alcano best tourny player playing right now?!?! I think he meant to say "next to myself, ronnie . . ." :)

bruceree
12-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Awesome, thanks for asking my question JCIN.

Man, same shaft since he was 9. I got to get my hands on a Joss and try one out.

softshot
12-23-2007, 03:07 AM
Fantastic Interview, it made it all worth it to see a top pro say Bar box 8-ball requires more skill than 9-ball... I feel vindicated

best of luck to Shane in "08

and merry Christmas to you both.

enzo
12-23-2007, 03:09 AM
I was totally glued to the screen for the entire 45 minutes... wish i would have got my retipping question in a tad sooner..... i think you left right before i messaged you.

in any case, great job!!!!!!

enzo
12-23-2007, 03:14 AM
I was totally glued to the screen for the entire 45 minutes... wish i would have got my retipping question in a tad sooner..... i think you left right before i messaged you JCIN :(

The topic about it being an advantage (or not) to not be able to hear background noise is truly fascinating, especially since he's so dominant right now. nice question whoever asked that.

great job JCIN!!!!!!

softshot
12-23-2007, 03:41 AM
Awesome, thanks for asking my question JCIN.

Man, same shaft since he was 9. I got to get my hands on a Joss and try one out.

no...you just need to learn the shaft you have...Like he did

the best player I personally know has had the same cue and shaft for 35 years. It might not be the best (but its the best for him)and none of you could make it do the things he makes it do... but its his and he knows it inside out backwards and forwards. and that means far more to a player than if it's the latest "FAD" shaft. good strokes don't come bundled with good shafts.. you got to earn them separately..

housecue
12-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Is it me or does shane's shaft seems smaller than the ferrule?

mudball
12-23-2007, 06:47 AM
TAR...I dunno what to say. Keep up the incredible work! Thank you so much for all you are doing for our fine sport!

Buckster_uk
12-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Really great interview!

Merry Christmas Justin and to everyone at TAR from across the pond!

Poolhalljunkie
12-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I hooked my laptop up to my new 61" DLP (YES I AM BRAGGING) and was glued to it for the whole interview. Very well done Thanks again TAP

yobagua
12-23-2007, 08:46 AM
I think what was remarkable with the interview is the concise and thoughtful job that Justin did. He approached it with good preparation and research yet didnt lose his personage in the interview.
Often the interviews Ive seen have been on one hand very mechanical and boring or too jokey and uninspiring. Billy Incardona who I like as a person does no preparation and just comes of as a good guy with his well done, youre great thanks, next, attitude. Grady does this at times too with just a bit more superlatives.
Then theres the interviewer who just asks the technical questions about someones game but does not draw out a persons personal objectives and perspectives.

I thought Justin did a complete job. Asking questions I would like answers to. THat takes research on the subject. And yet drew out Shane as a person. His dreams and his beliefs. Other interviewers could learn from this 45 minute discussion.

Thanks guys for taking it to a new level. TAR is leading the way.

MJ_Ro
12-23-2007, 09:41 AM
can someone post this interview on other source. i can dl with 500kb to 600kb most torrents on the net, but when i try watching the Shane interview it takes like 1h to buffer to 10%.

punter
12-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Good Interview, Shane came across as a very classy, confident, and forthright guy. Best wishes for him in the future and thanks TAR!!

bruceree
12-23-2007, 10:41 AM

the best player I personally know has had the same cue and shaft for 35 years. It might not be the best (but its the best for him)and none of you could make it do the things he makes it do... but its his and he knows it inside out backwards and forwards. and that means far more to a player than if it's the latest "FAD" shaft. good strokes don't come bundled with good shafts.. you got to earn them separately..

I wasn't talking about trying a Joss just because shane is a great player with it, but It must be a very solid cue if that shaft held up for Shane since he was 9. He's probably played an unbelievable amount with that cue since he was 9.

Fatboy
12-23-2007, 11:01 AM

last week I carefully inspeced that shaft for 10 minutes, it has alot of miles on it, tip looked great, the taper is not a fresh taper from a lathe its been wore down from 1000's of hours of play, I havent hit a ball with it yet, I will someday-I wanted to, Shane said I could but we all ended up leaving before I could I will someday, that will be cool.

I talk to SVB every 2-4 weeks and he is a great guy and has my highest respect. I wish him the best & i know he will have a long future as a world ranked player, he has huge balls and a good demenor. I wish pool had 30 more SVB's it would generate more yung players to get serious. I dont see one weakness in him, not one, If I did I would say so. he is gifted. I'm proud to call him a friend.

ok enough with the Holiday sappy shit,,,,I'm gonna shoot his nuts off in the DCC 10 Ball ring game,,,,,,I hope, I'm gonna give it my best. I would love to knock him out that would be my biggest achievment in pool ever, Were friends and have respect for each other but I want to beat him, I probably have a better shot at the lottery than beating him but i'm not gonna get soft, i'm going down swinging, so watch out SVB ;)

iusedtoberich
12-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm also having buffering problems. Extremely slow. I think its the video, because I subscribed to the previous action challange ppv matches and watched the other divx interviews on their site without these extremely slow buffering problems.

Franky
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I really enjoyed this interview. Shane shared some of his personality and that was nice to see. Good questions as well.

yobagua
12-23-2007, 02:12 PM
last week I carefully inspeced that shaft for 10 minutes, it has alot of miles on it, tip looked great, the taper is not a fresh taper from a lathe its been wore down from 1000's of hours of play, I havent hit a ball with it yet, I will someday-I wanted to, Shane said I could but we all ended up leaving before I could I will someday, that will be cool.

I talk to SVB every 2-4 weeks and he is a great guy and has my highest respect. I wish him the best & i know he will have a long future as a world ranked player, he has huge balls and a good demenor. I wish pool had 30 more SVB's it would generate more yung players to get serious. I dont see one weakness in him, not one, If I did I would say so. he is gifted. I'm proud to call him a friend.

ok enough with the Holiday sappy shit,,,,I'm gonna shoot his nuts off in the DCC 10 Ball ring game,,,,,,I hope, I'm gonna give it my best. I would love to knock him out that would be my biggest achievment in pool ever, Were friends and have respect for each other but I want to beat him, I probably have a better shot at the lottery than beating him but i'm not gonna get soft, i'm going down swinging, so watch out SVB ;)

OK Fatboy heres some advice. Do like I do when Im playing champions. Try to get ball in hand and just wail at the money ball!!!! Good luck brother.

Fatboy
12-23-2007, 02:30 PM

yes it is just a little, its a very old shaft and has a zillion miles on it, I looked at it last week closely for 10-15 minutes and memorized it, I was gonna hit a few balls with it, but someone was usint the table then we all had to leave, so next time, it isnt the smoothest shaft either, but the wood in it is straight and tight grained, its old wood and IMO old wood is the best. His tip is perfect too, It was cool to see the shaft that made history in 07 up close for as long as I wanted to, the Schon butt was good too, the bumper on it is almost wore off.

oops i forgot i answerred that last night oh well there it is twice.

one more thing I didnt see the interview before I made the last post. There was nothing staged or rehearsted for that interview, what you see is what you get. Shane dosent carry himself differently when the cameras are on, I like that. But I still intend to shoot his nuts off soon.

JCIN
12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
can someone post this interview on other source. i can dl with 500kb to 600kb most torrents on the net, but when i try watching the Shane interview it takes like 1h to buffer to 10%.
I am working with Mike to get the interview on AZBtv. Hopefully will be soon. Look for a bunch of our stuff to start showing up there in the Flash format. It will all still be available on our site in the DivX format for those who like it.

<-----loves DivX

JCIN
12-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Here is some pics of the cue and a kind of review of my impression of the hit of the cue.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=77743

When I hit it a few months ago I did not notice what you are talking about. Sometimes, video makes things look a little funky. But, anything is possible...next time I see the cue I will take a closer look.

LOL...I can see it now, at events all over the country:

Joe Blackburn: "You want me to do what to the shaft and ferrule???"

The "Shane taper"...coming soon.

Robertduke
12-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Is that a 10 footer that he was practing on in the video.. It looks like a monster compared to the diamonds.. Or it couldve been the angle from the camra..

JCIN
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I think what was remarkable with the interview is the concise and thoughtful job that Justin did. He approached it with good preparation and research yet didnt lose his personage in the interview.
Often the interviews Ive seen have been on one hand very mechanical and boring or too jokey and uninspiring. Billy Incardona who I like as a person does no preparation and just comes of as a good guy with his well done, youre great thanks, next, attitude. Grady does this at times too with just a bit more superlatives.
Then theres the interviewer who just asks the technical questions about someones game but does not draw out a persons personal objectives and perspectives.

I thought Justin did a complete job. Asking questions I would like answers to. THat takes research on the subject. And yet drew out Shane as a person. His dreams and his beliefs. Other interviewers could learn from this 45 minute discussion.

Thanks guys for taking it to a new level. TAR is leading the way.

Thanks very much for the kind words. I was fortunate enough to be at most of the events this year either rooming with Shane or being up on the action. I was able to witness first hand how strong he played and, a few times, when he didn't. It was easy for me to interview Shane...I asked him the stuff I wanted to know :D

The biggest thing I got out of the interview was when he said, basically, that the act of winning the US Open did not really mean much too him other than the fact that it meant he was now at the highest level. Gotta admit that wasn't what I expected to hear but it makes sense coming from Shane. He just wants to compete at the highest level.

And shoot every living humans nuts in. :D

Robertduke
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Watching the Interveiw with Shane and when he said Ronnine was the best tournament player out there Saying that he won the World Championship 9 ball and 8 ball and almost won the us open this year.. Gota laugh outa that one..

lacquer
12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Great interview.

Damn, it was long.

enzo
12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Good Interview, Shane came across as a very classy, confident, and forthright guy. Best wishes for him in the future and thanks TAR!!

yeah, and i'd like to add intelligent and very thoughtful with respect to how to improve his game.

i am still just in amazement that he went over to the philipines and beat those guys over there at 24, an amazing accomplishment considering how well they all gamble.

JCIN
12-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Is that a 10 footer that he was practing on in the video.. It looks like a monster compared to the diamonds.. Or it couldve been the angle from the camra..
Diamonds are bar boxes....Shane is playing on a 9'.

Patrick Johnson
12-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice interview. I agree with Joey, Shane's respectful-but-confident attitude is a pleasure to see, and his family's history in pool, led by the women, adds a fascinating personal dimension. He went on the road with his mother and his aunt? They say you can't buy a backstory like that - so get a good price for it, Shane.

Does anybody know where I can find some video of him playing 8-ball?

pj
chgo

bagofpaper
12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I am working with Mike to get the interview on AZBtv. Hopefully will be soon. Look for a bunch of our stuff to start showing up there in the Flash format. It will all still be available on our site in the DivX format for those who like it.

<-----loves DivX

Yes, the DIVX format is absolutely awesome!! Keep it up guys.. you rock.

atthecat
12-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I liked the interview a lot. I wish it got into more specifics though. We never really hear about the subtle aspects of pool which it is really all about. Like, exactly how he approaches his break? Where he hits the cue and how he raises his body up before he sling shots is arm through way past the joint. How he tackles deflection? Stance? Pre-shot ruitine?
Being relaxed? General phylosiphy on pocketing balls?
We need details not general answers! But I did enjoy it anyway.

MJ_Ro
12-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I can't deny i Love DIVX to, but for some reason this video buffers way way way to slow. I am trying for 2 days to watch it from start to finish and couldn't do so yet. I hate trying to watch like 30 to 50 sec everytime i want to see it :(.

JCIN
12-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I liked the interview a lot. I wish it got into more specifics though. We never really hear about the subtle aspects of pool which it is really all about. Like, exactly how he approaches his break? Where he hits the cue and how he raises his body up before he sling shots is arm through way past the joint. How he tackles deflection? Stance? Pre-shot ruitine?
Being relaxed? General phylosiphy on pocketing balls?
We need details not general answers! But I did enjoy it anyway.
I can tell you from personal experience what those answers would of been like "I hit it until I make balls and control the cue ball"

Shane is not tied up in the technical minutiae of the game...he doesn't know the diameter of his shaft....he changes his tip when something " feels fishy "...he plays by feel and experience. He is one of those players that just does not easily translate what he is doing on a shot into words...he just does it. Trust me I ask him all the time, more often than not he doesn't even answer just shrugs like "I just do it like that"

That is why I did not get into the subjects of which you speak.

JCIN
12-24-2007, 07:01 PM
I can't deny i Love DIVX to, but for some reason this video buffers way way way to slow. I am trying for 2 days to watch it from start to finish and couldn't do so yet. I hate trying to watch like 30 to 50 sec everytime i want to see it :(.
It will be up on AZBtv soon.

12squared
12-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Justin,

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into everything The Action Report touches. It certainly shows in the quality of the final product. Great interview...well-organized with great sound & video. Keep it up and enjoy the DCC. I will have to live it vicariously through your live streaming video since I can?t make it this year. Thanks for doing that too.

Dave

JCIN
12-26-2007, 09:03 AM
For anyone that trouble with viewing the DivX version, the whole interview is up on AZBtv. It is in the "Misc." category on the AZBtv page or you you can see it on the AZ main page. It is the first video listed in the embeded player on the upper right.

SCCues
12-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Fantastic Interview, it made it all worth it to see a top pro say Bar box 8-ball requires more skill than 9-ball...

best of luck to Shane in "08

That's a statement I never thought i'd hear a 9 ball champion like Shane make.....

James

john schmidt
12-26-2007, 10:37 AM
and one pocket and 14.1 requires more knowledge and execution than 9ball on a 9 ft or bar table anything put together trust me ive played them all.

yobagua
12-26-2007, 11:18 AM
When people ask for "specifics" I think they are asking about the science of the sport. When you talk to a champion IMHO it is not the science but the art, the subjective aspect of it. To talk to Luther Lassiter about shaft size and tip requirements and stance would be missing the whole point. Ask your teacher. Thats why there are teachers and inventors. Shane is an inventor. Efren is an inventor. It is their imagination and approach we are interested in. We really want to see Shane as the man and he says it best. "I challenge myself" and "I get better after I lose". These are the real specifics.
The way Shane runs a table is beautiful, often not the "right" way i.e.to Grady and Billy's surprise, get a teacher to explain how he does it. But enjoy him as not only a cueist but as a man with a far reaching vision of the game.
Like Doyle Brunson says in his book on poker. Its 10% mathematics but it is 90% art.

JoeyA
12-26-2007, 11:27 AM
I can tell you from personal experience what those answers would of been like "I hit it until I make balls and control the cue ball"

Shane is not tied up in the technical minutiae of the game...he doesn't know the diameter of his shaft....he changes his tip when something " feels fishy "...he plays by feel and experience. He is one of those players that just does not easily translate what he is doing on a shot into words...he just does it. Trust me I ask him all the time, more often than not he doesn't even answer just shrugs like "I just do it like that"

That is why I did not get into the subjects of which you speak.

How about bringing a digital caliper/micrometer to your next meeting with Shane and measuring the diameter of his shaft. I know about the hour glass shape effect that comes from years of shooting with a shaft. It sure seems that some quality playing can be had with the hour glass shape. Maybe it is just that you get used to playing with a shaft but I always wonder. I have also often wondered if that shape should be duplicated on purpose. Would love to know measurements every 1", from the tip on down, millimeters to the hundreths (12.75mm etc).

Thanks,
JoeyA

yobagua
12-26-2007, 12:22 PM
HAHAHHAHA!!!!! Joey you crack me up! Happy New Year!!!

JoeyA
12-26-2007, 04:22 PM
HAHAHHAHA!!!!! Joey you crack me up! Happy New Year!!!

Glad you enjoyed it. Smorgassbored taught me everything I know.
JoeyA

worriedbeef
12-26-2007, 06:52 PM
That's a statement I never thought i'd hear a 9 ball champion like Shane make.....

James

i don't think he's right, but it does show yet again and example of nine ball losing respect under modern conditions nowadays.

kevin s
12-27-2007, 01:11 AM
I just watched the interview. Now I am really pumped for Derby City. Thanks guys keep up the good work.
Kevin

219Dave
12-27-2007, 06:32 AM
I finally had the time to watch the interview last night. Shane comes off as very likeable and humble.

It's funny that pool has a poor image, but I can't picture these guys on 'roids or fighting pitbulls. LOL.

Justin- you did a really nice job with this. Keep up the good work!

David

Island Drive
12-27-2007, 07:50 AM

James

It's true, more congestion, traffic, variables...makes perfect sense to me. 8-ball on a bar table has all the right variables, on a 9 foot its not 8 ball. Just thinking of different outs after many hours of play takes its toll, let alone executing them.