PDA

View Full Version : Vote For Live Pay-Per-View

av84fun
12-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Would you pay $5.00 to watch a LIVE Championship match ON TV, not streaming video for computers...assuming at least two hours worth of matches involving the top players of the past year?

edit: Assume the program would be COMMERCIAL FREE!

Men?

Women?

Thecoats
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Would you pay $5.00 to watch a LIVE Championship match ON TV, not streaming video for computers...assuming at least two hours worth of matches involving the top players of the past year?

Men?

Women?

I would much rather pay 5 or 10 dollars than watch those incredibly annoying commercials they had on the free IPT match last week.

-don

atthecat
12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes!!!! I would only pay for the men's event though.

jgpool
12-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I would be interested also. At that price, that's worth a couple of hours of entertainment. It has to be better than a boxing match. You could get 29 seconds of a fight for $30 or $40 bucks.:D

av84fun
12-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for your views. Please know the question is not just idle curiosity.

The number of votes will say a lot, one way or the other, about the level of interest in the pool community about doing something to boost the popularity of the sport.

Thanks!

Jim

Fatboy
12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
if I have to watch those commercials then no I want it for free, the promoters cant have it both ways, charging us and the advertizers-sure it would be sweet for them but look at PPV events no commercials. but when you watch the Super Bowl you get more commercials than football.

Again, no commercials is worth spending the $$$ to watch the matches.

in Europe on TV they show ALOT less adverts than here in America, I cant stand it here, the discovery channel is all adverts. I like HBO because no adverts.

Johnnyt
12-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I would and have been glad to pay it for streaming, so of course I would pay it for reg TV. But when TAR puts on two of the best players in the world for less than $5 for two hours, hundreds of people just from AZBilliads (who ARE poolplayers) won't support it...they look for updates from others that paid to watch it. Johnnyt

Jimt
12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Your poll leaves out any posibility of paying to see both the mens and womens events.

Also you could have another item showing NONE. This way you get a more accurate picture of how many votes and total results.

elvicash
12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
I would and have been glad to pay it for streaming, so of course I would pay it for reg TV. But when TAR puts on two of the best players in the world for less than $5 for two hours, hundreds of people just from AZBilliads (who ARE poolplayers) won't support it...they look for updates from others that paid to watch it. Johnnyt

I cannot belive that you will come out in the open here on AZ and call out all the bottom dwelling nits that leach off the efforts of others.

After all we all know JCIN and Big Nasty must be getting rich off the 20 or 30 bucks they are getting from the 100 to 200 viewers they are getting. We know it does not cost alot to travel, pay for hotel rooms, buy equipment and pay for a legit streaming service.

Seeing the occasional AZ post like now the score is 20 to 16 since player XXXX ran out. Reading a post is just like being there if it is available even though live streaming video is available.

So I don't know what is up with the tone of your post. Please try not to make AZ leaches feel bad.

BTW: I would pay for some streaming live TV.

I would also pay attention in all of my future purchasing if any national company had a pool player for a spokeperson.

av84fun
12-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I cannot belive that you will come out in the open here on AZ and call out all the bottom dwelling nits that leach off the efforts of others.

After all we all know JCIN and Big Nasty must be getting rich off the 20 or 30 bucks they are getting from the 100 to 200 viewers they are getting. We know it does not cost alot to travel, pay for hotel rooms, buy equipment and pay for a legit streaming service.

Seeing the occasional AZ post like now the score is 20 to 16 since player XXXX ran out. Reading a post is just like being there if it is available even though live streaming video is available.

So I don't know what is up with the tone of your post. Please try not to make AZ leaches feel bad.

BTW: I would pay for some streaming live TV.

I would also pay attention in all of my future purchasing if any national company had a pool player for a spokeperson.

"I cannot belive that you will come out in the open here on AZ and call out all the bottom dwelling nits that leach off the efforts of others. "

"So I don't know what is up with the tone of your post. Please try not to make AZ leaches feel bad."

I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

"BTW: I would pay for some streaming live TV."Did you get too heavy into the spiked egg nog tonight?

ALL live TV is...ummm..."streaming"

LOL

Fatboy
12-24-2007, 01:20 AM

i understand $$$ is tight right now, it is at all levels, but honestly for what they deliver it pisses me off that more people dont buy the feed, i remember driving 100's of miles to sweat a match now I can do it for $20 from home-it dosent get any better. I have a friend who is a poker/pool player he is good at both I asked him about why pool players dont do certain things he replied "pool players for the most part are cheap......" and "poker players arnt". Dont shoot the messanger but to a point he is right, there are 100's of people hear everyday and the didnt get many buys on the Harriman /Schmit show. Its sad that more people dont step up, what good is it to talk about a match nad not watch it when you can, unless its a bonified hardship.

Perk
12-24-2007, 07:02 PM
For Live pool, I will pay 5.00 to see matches in their entirety, especially if I can watch it on my t.v.

av84fun
12-24-2007, 08:15 PM
i understand $$$ is tight right now, it is at all levels, but honestly for what they deliver it pisses me off that more people dont buy the feed, i remember driving 100's of miles to sweat a match now I can do it for $20 from home-it dosent get any better. I have a friend who is a poker/pool player he is good at both I asked him about why pool players dont do certain things he replied "pool players for the most part are cheap......" and "poker players arnt". Dont shoot the messanger but to a point he is right, there are 100's of people hear everyday and the didnt get many buys on the Harriman /Schmit show. Its sad that more people dont step up, what good is it to talk about a match nad not watch it when you can, unless its a bonified hardship.

Never would I shoot the messenger...when it is you! (-:

It was just his nutty questioning of my "tone" when I had no tone...I just asked a question....one intended to test just how badly the enthusiasm for the sport has dwindled.

I have heard about the poor subscriptions for some mathches but I wondered if that was a function of the less-than-perfect streaming video feeds and/or the fact that you have to watch on a computer screen...unless some know how to send the feed to their TVs

But still, video streams are not "broadcast quality" viewing experiences and that was what I was interested in testing.

IMHO, PPV is the ONLY way to salvage what is left of pro pool in the U.S. and I suppose I have my answer. Less than a dozen even care to express an opinion.

Possibly the holidays have something to do with that, so maybe I'll bump this thread in a week or two.

But in the meantime, some should keep in mind that if PPV got HALF of the households that taped delayed and HIGHLY EDITED broadcasts get, then we would be talking about at least double the "standard" prize money for the pros and serious profits for the promoters...most of whom will take a hike of market research such as this generates the same "enthusiasm."

(-:

Regards,

Jim

JCIN
12-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Never would I shoot the messenger...when it is you! (-:

It was just his nutty questioning of my "tone" when I had no tone...I just asked a question....one intended to test just how badly the enthusiasm for the sport has dwindled.

I have heard about the poor subscriptions for some mathches but I wondered if that was a function of the less-than-perfect streaming video feeds and/or the fact that you have to watch on a computer screen...unless some know how to send the feed to their TVs

But still, video streams are not "broadcast quality" viewing experiences and that was what I was interested in testing.

IMHO, PPV is the ONLY way to salvage what is left of pro pool in the U.S. and I suppose I have my answer. Less than a dozen even care to express an opinion.

Possibly the holidays have something to do with that, so maybe I'll bump this thread in a week or two.

But in the meantime, some should keep in mind that if PPV got HALF of the households that taped delayed and HIGHLY EDITED broadcasts get, then we would be talking about at least double the "standard" prize money for the pros and serious profits for the promoters...most of whom will take a hike of market research such as this generates the same "enthusiasm."

(-:

Regards,

Jim
From my limited experience Pay Per View for pool is a no go for a major investment (broadcast quality production + the cost of getting it carried by major cable outlets).

Pat Fleming has the ability to produce matches on as high a level as anyone IMO and he has not even tried. That should be a big hint. Besides the cost of production and getting it shown you have to add in the cost of marketing and promotion. One without the other is useless. It is a tough nut to crack.

We (TAR) are focusing on the enthusiasts who "get" what we are trying to do. We opperate on a shoestring (and it shows sometimes) and have been able to survive thanks to the support of a small but very loyal base of fellow pool lovers.

Personally I think the key is the league players. If we can't get a guy who plays 2 or 3 nights a week to get involved how are we gonna get people who have no idea what great pool is to buy in?

If it were fianacially feasable we would do all of our events for free. It would be that much easier to get people involved. Unfortunately without the PPV revenue stream we would cease to exist. Hopefully in the future we or someone else will be able to solve the puzzle.

ironman
12-24-2007, 09:23 PM
From my limited experience Pay Per View for pool is a no go for a major investment (broadcast quality production + the cost of getting it carried by major cable outlets).

Pat Fleming has the ability to produce matches on as high a level as anyone IMO and he has not even tried. That should be a big hint. Besides the cost of production and getting it shown you have to add in the cost of marketing and promotion. One without the other is useless. It is a tough nut to crack.

We (TAR) are focusing on the enthusiasts who "get" what we are trying to do. We opperate on a shoestring (and it shows sometimes) and have been able to survive thanks to the support of a small but very loyal base of fellow pool lovers.

Personally I think the key is the league players. If we can't get a guy who plays 2 or 3 nights a week to get involved how are we gonna get people who have no idea what great pool is to buy in?

If it were fianacially feasable we would do all of our events for free. It would be that much easier to get people involved. Unfortunately without the PPV revenue stream we would cease to exist. Hopefully in the future we or someone else will be able to solve the puzzle.

We appreciate your efforts and I feel confident things will get better and better for you guys. Pool needs more like you.

Have a great holiday.

av84fun
12-24-2007, 11:50 PM
JCIN..."Personally I think the key is the league players. If we can't get a guy who plays 2 or 3 nights a week to get involved how are we gonna get people who have no idea what great pool is to buy in?"

For YEARS league players have stayed away from pro matches in droves!

Even at the BCA in Vegas with 8,000 of them in town, they can't fill the seats for the events except maybe the finals.

I admire what you are doing by the way.

Props to you.

Regards,
Jim

Flttracker
12-25-2007, 12:00 AM

Right on Johnnyt ! I know we will never stop the Wal-Mart shoppers from trying to get something for nothing, but with posts like yours we can help get the word out there to help the guys from TAR get this live action pool off the ground :-)

av84fun
12-25-2007, 03:38 PM

edit: Assume the program would be COMMERCIAL FREE!

Men?

Women?

Well, so far, the Cure for Hiccups thread has twice the posts as this one.

Guess that tells the story!

(-: