PDA

View Full Version : Is SVB Avoiding Efren?

Nine Ball
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Nope... It seem to be Efren avoiding shane as I understand it. Congrats to you Shane. The best player alive doesn't want to play you. Safe to say you did something there. I would still love to see the match. Would be a good match.

smashmouth
01-09-2008, 10:14 PM
have to say yes, but so is everyone else

rackem
01-09-2008, 10:21 PM
A good showing against Efren would kill a lot of Shanes action.
It probably is not the right match for him at this stage.;)

branpureza
01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
A good showing against Efren would kill a lot of Shanes action.
It probably is not the right match for him at this stage.;)

it's a little too late for shane to be worried about scaring away action don't you think?

ShootingArts
01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Shane has been in action almost nonstop. Efren hasn't been seen in the action room and has several very good reasons to just focus on his tournament obligations and go home. What makes you think that Efren isn't the one avoiding Shane, or everyone else too for that matter? Are you privy to what is going on with both of them at the DCC?

If they both want to play and schedules permit they will get together. Nothing posted here is going to make one iota of difference in this happening or not.

Hu

JB Cases
01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I highly doubt it. Shane has been in action all week, in between playing in the tournament, and is committed to at least one TAR PPV match.

It's not like Shane can just march up to Efren and demand to play whenever he feels like it. Both players are up to their eyeballs in other things right now.

I am sure that if Shane said he is looking to play Efren then that means he is looking to play Efren. He didn't call Efren out. He said very simply that his goal is to build up his bankroll and then play Efren. Shane is on Shane's timezone and no one else's. I am 100% positive that he is NOT going out of his way to duck Efren.

Nine Ball
01-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Really hope they play

ioCross
01-10-2008, 12:59 AM
i know i'm going to get lambasted for this but efren isn't playing as strong as he used to. maybe he's wary of a kid who's at the top of his game and is on a monster roll.

Nine Ball
01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
i know i'm going to get lambasted for this but efren isn't playing as strong as he used to. maybe he's wary of a kid who's at the top of his game and is on a monster roll.

Nah, I seriously doubt the best player alive is worried.

But after hearing more I guess he is..

hilla_hilla
01-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Maybe this should be the next, action challenge. That would be an awesome match to watch! :)

rackem
01-10-2008, 03:34 AM
Maybe this should be the next, action challenge. That would be an awesome match to watch! :)
At Hardtimes would be nice,:D :cool:

Marvel
01-10-2008, 05:47 AM
it's a little too late for shane to be worried about scaring away action don't you think?

LOL!!!

_____

worriedbeef
01-10-2008, 06:06 AM
shane been playing and in action non stop and has expressed his desire to play efren. efren meanwhile hasnt been in any action that i know of and has kept a somewhat low profile.

not having a go at efren or anything and who he plays is up to him. but if anybody's been avoiding anyone it's efren avoiding shane. i would love to see this match up anyway. i know it's always hard to bet against efren, but you cant play the game of ten ball much better than shane has been playing it of late.

daniel
01-10-2008, 07:21 AM
A younger Efren would be a great match up. The Efren of today has very slim chance in a long ahead set. Shorter race in nine ball, maybe. Shane is playing ten ball on tight equipment for respectable cash as well as anybody. The match to see would be Occollo vs. SVB

BlackDragon
01-10-2008, 07:27 AM
I thought Shane left the philipines to play Earl. Efren is there in the philipines?
So who's avoiding who? No-one, just playing different people I guess. :cool:

parvus1202
01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Why would anyone be avoiding to play Reyes? Win or lose, it's Reyes! I don't care if I lose, I will record the match and show it to my future grandkids.

Johnnyt
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I believe that match up in ten ball would have a line of even at best (maybe 6/5 Shane) if it happened at the DCC. But if they play a few weeks after the DCC, and Efren gets some rest, I'll put my money on Efren...because he gets lucky a lot;) Johnnyt

yobagua
01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Efren just lost his brother who he was close to. We all know Earl isnt here. We dont question it as we all know he just lost his father. Maybe Efren is not in the mood right now. Maybe later it will happen. I think Shane respects Efren thats why he wants to play him. Shane wants to learn from the best. He says he doesnt care if he wins or loses. People should show Efren the kind of respect Shane does. Efren does not duck anybody.

ledrums
01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
With all due respect, why are you stuck on this topic? Can you explain to me how Shane can possibly be ducking when Shane was the one who suggested the match-up? Do you want him to literally walk up to Efren's face and challenge him? So once again, please explain to me how someone who made the statement that they would like to play Efren could be the one ducking. Thank you

m.libre10
01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
it's like racing Seabiscuit again'st Curlin or Jordan versus Lebron.

Imho, I dont think that these two are avoiding or ducking each other for a match at DCC. Eventualy, time will come for these two great players if they are both going to have a match up. Let's not rush it people!

Its a new era of pool talents and a new star has arrived on the scene although the superstar will always remain the superstar at anytime and anywhere.

Komprende!

skeeterpro
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Shane said he wants to play the best players in the world. Win or loose he wants to play because he learns from the experience. If he gets beat he will work that much harder and challenge them again.

Scott Lee
01-10-2008, 10:48 AM
tap, tap, tap. As they say in the song..."ain't nobody's business but my own"!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Shane has been in action almost nonstop. Efren hasn't been seen in the action room and has several very good reasons to just focus on his tournament obligations and go home. What makes you think that Efren isn't the one avoiding Shane, or everyone else too for that matter? Are you privy to what is going on with both of them at the DCC?

If they both want to play and schedules permit they will get together. Nothing posted here is going to make one iota of difference in this happening or not.

Hu

cuetechustla
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Have these two finally played for cash? If so, I'd love to hear the stories :)

JoeyInCali
08-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Have these two finally played for cash? If so, I'd love to hear the stories :)
SVB would be the fave in 9-ball or 10-ball .
Efren is just not that strong in 9-ball or 10-ball anymore.

SVB against Orcullo and Pagulayan would be much better matches imo.

jimmy-leggs
08-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Or maybe he doesnt have the drive he once had.Doesnt mean he is still not the greatest pool player ever.Shane is NOT a legend last time I checked.

storke
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I have to make a statement here. Shane is a great player. However I fail to see how he is a favorite against any of the top 10 in the world in any game. Any of these players posses the stroke, ball pocketing skills and knowledge to beat anyone. There is no favorite period. I do understand we tend to like certain players more or less, but that does not make them better than the others. Ok to the topic of this thread I can't see how either player would be ducking the other. I promise you there is no fear on either side.

BVal
08-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I have to make a statement here. Shane is a great player. However I fail to see how he is a favorite against any of the top 10 in the world in any game. Any of these players posses the stroke, ball pocketing skills and knowledge to beat anyone. There is no favorite period. I do understand we tend to like certain players more or less, but that does not make them better than the others. Ok to the topic of this thread I can't see how either player would be ducking the other. I promise you there is no fear on either side.
If it is winner breaks I can see how Shane would be the favorite. He has one of the top breaks in the world. I agree with everything else you said.

BVal

Bigtruck
08-29-2008, 12:28 PM
If it is winner breaks I can see how Shane would be the favorite. He has one of the top breaks in the world. I agree with everything else you said.

BVal

I have been talking with Shane over the last several days. He is avoiding Dennis O.:eek: I don't know about Effie. But who wouldn't. It's already VERY tough for him to get action. If he beat those guys, it may well be his last action for years! Besides, I'm not sure he could beat them. Might as well flip coins. IMO.

Ray

ps. I heard that he swears by the Break trainer by ceebee. I guess it works!!!

BVal
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I have been talking with Shane over the last several days. He is avoiding Dennis O.:eek: I don't know about Effie. But who wouldn't. I's already VERY tough for him to get action. If he beat those guys, it may well be his last action for years! Besides, I'm not sure he could beat them. Might as well flip coins. IMO.

Ray

ps. I heard that he swears by the Break trainer by ceebee. I guess it works!!!
I am sure he can get action but not much at all if any even. If his action dries up he could always start over left handed. :D

BVal

Bigtruck
08-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I am sure he can get action but not much at all if any even. If his action dries up he could always start over left handed. :D

BVal

I told Shane that we are gonna have to dress him in disguise and change his name to Cesar Van Morales!!

Ray

supercue
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I know my grandson Shane and I know he will play anyone ,on his terms. I also know he wants to be called the best by playing the best and he has been doing just that. I'm so proud of ,not only of his playing,but the way he handles himself. Grandpa Gary

BVal
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
I know my grandson Shane and I know he will play anyone ,on his terms. I also know he wants to be called the best by playing the best and he has been doing just that. I'm so proud of ,not only of his playing,but the way he handles himself. Grandpa Gary
I am not saying that Shane is afraid of anyone. He has no reason to be. He is one of the best players I have ever seen in my young life.

I think other people may be saying he is avoiding so not to kill his action - not because he is afraid.

You are lucky to have such a great grandson (I mean the person - not just the pool player).

BVal

Bigtruck
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Tap Tap Tap.........Well said!

Human moves. Those are the most important!

Ray

JCIN
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Shane offered to play Dennis 8 Ball on more than one occasion and Dennis said no. Dennis offered to play Shane 10 ball on more than one occasion and Shane said no.

In the end it doesn't really matter if the backers don't say yes.

As far as Shane avoiding Efren......at the Derby Efren's camp made it very clear that Efren would play one game and one game only with Shane and that is One Pocket. Amazingly enough that didn't go off.

JohnPT
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM
If there's anyone that Efren isn't too excited to play it's Dennis. However, Efren hasn't been playing just Mickey Mouse either. He has played Alcano and Corteza more than a few times already.

If SVB plays and beats Dennis or Efren he will have to move to the Philippines. Anywhere else, his action is dead.

Johnnyt
08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
shane been playing and in action non stop and has expressed his desire to play efren. efren meanwhile hasnt been in any action that i know of and has kept a somewhat low profile.

not having a go at efren or anything and who he plays is up to him. but if anybody's been avoiding anyone it's efren avoiding shane. i would love to see this match up anyway. i know it's always hard to bet against efren, but you cant play the game of ten ball much better than shane has been playing it of late.

Who said anything about 10-ball? They will be playing 15 ball rotation or 1-hole:grin: Johnnyt

cuetechustla
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
So bottomline, these two players haven't played yet....I can't wait to see this great match one day :joyful: .

BVal
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I told Shane that we are gonna have to dress him in disguise and change his name to Cesar Van Morales!!

Ray
Cesar Van Morales!!!!!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k248/bval_2006/shane-van-boening-enjoy.jpgpicture by BigSkyJake.

tigerseye
08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Well both of them are ducking me...;)

mosconiac
08-29-2008, 06:21 PM
I can't see either of them ducking one another. It's just a matter of negotiating the right game.

Efren plays Alcano consistently so he's not afraid of a tough game. Shane has played Pagulayan so he's not afraid of a tough game.

IamCalvin06
08-29-2008, 08:19 PM
We're all just ducking each other by disputing a match non of us has any "say" in...

By the way just in case you wanna know who i like...

When ppl start saying that "In the spirit world they all play 'the SVB'..." then i'll jump ships.

DerekDisco- The guy who makes sh!t that only pool players understand

vijesh
08-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Actually.... SVB vs any of these players would be fun to watch Efren (now efren is a bit low though, but i still feel if he gives his heart and mind he could put up a show as he won the ipt not 2 long ago... but then again it was 8 ball) Vs busti (has loads of experience) Vs Ronnie Alcano (great match as its gonna be aggressive) Vs Yang ( i guess yang gives 100% and fights till the end i would love this match) Vs Dennis ( great match again) and finally i would like to see SVB play against Wu....

Johnnyt
08-30-2008, 02:45 AM
I guess these threads are fun for some, but bottom line is if the 20 best 10-ball players played races to 50 once a month for a year, no one would dominate. Johnnyt

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 02:59 AM
I guess these threads are fun for some, but bottom line is if the 20 best 10-ball players played races to 50 once a month for a year, no one would dominate. Johnnyt

I totally agree!

scarygary
08-30-2008, 03:53 AM

Ray

LOL!! You just made my day.

9ball123
08-30-2008, 05:44 AM
shane has as much talent as anyone and is a stand up guy why dont shane and archer play archer plays 10ball well

gwk9ball
08-30-2008, 10:13 AM
thanks i was going to say that i heard the efren said no 8ball, 9ball, and no way on 10ball, but we can play 1pocket!

JoeyInCali
08-30-2008, 12:48 PM
I can't see either of them ducking one another. It's just a matter of negotiating the right game.

Efren plays Alcano consistently so he's not afraid of a tough game. Shane has played Pagulayan so he's not afraid of a tough game.
Efren plays Alcano rotation though.
No way does SVB play Efren Filipino-rules rotation.

macneilb
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
IMO rotation would be the best, and fairest game for them to play eachother. efren has a big edge in one pocket, and shane has the edge in just about everything else right now. on top of that, efren's playing rotation pretty consistently in the phillipines and shane's mentioned before that he plays rotation everyday. plus its tougher than 9 or 10B so it'll take out that "it was just his day" factor a little bit. just my .02 ;)

JCIN
08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Efren plays Alcano rotation though.
No way does SVB play Efren Filipino-rules rotation.
Apples and Oranges.

I don't see any Filipinos jumping up to play $10,000 sets of Bar Table 8 Ball with Shane. Anyone in the world can try that game, the challenge has been out there for awhile now.

I dare to say that no one in America would play Efren/Alex/Dennis/Alcano rotation. Not hard to understand considering most people do not even know the rules let alone play the game here.

AFAIK there are only two Americans in the past year or so who have stepped up to play Alex or Dennis (both of whom are "above" Efren right now in 10 ball) and that is Chris Bartram and Shane. They deserve respect for that. I am a huge fan of the Filipino players, they are the best in the world IMO but that does not mean a few guys won't step up and take a shot when a legit game can be made.

I am pretty sure John Schmidt will play just about anyone a long race of 14.1 as well. Bartram has said he will play Dennis the same way as he did at the Derby 2 years ago. The action is there for them if they want it and I would bet a little something that there will be some kind of match up at the Derby this year between an American and a Filipino.

JCIN
08-30-2008, 01:29 PM
IMO rotation would be the best, and fairest game for them to play each other. efren has a big edge in one pocket, and shane has the edge in just about everything else right now. on top of that, efren's playing rotation pretty consistently in the phillipines and shane's mentioned before that he plays rotation everyday. plus its tougher than 9 or 10B so it'll take out that "it was just his day" factor a little bit. just my .02 ;)
I have seen Shane practice on more than one occasion and have never seen him play rotation (the 15 ball variety which is what Joey is talking about) I doubt he even knows the rules.

JoeyInCali
08-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Apples and Oranges.

I don't see any Filipinos jumping up to play $10,000 sets of Bar Table 8 Ball with Shane. Anyone in the world can try that game, the challenge has been out there for awhile now.

I dare to say that no one in America would play Efren/Alex/Dennis/Alcano rotation. Not hard to understand considering most people do not even know the rules let alone play the game here.

AFAIK there are only two Americans in the past year or so who have stepped up to play Alex or Dennis (both of whom are "above" Efren right now in 10 ball) and that is Chris Bartram and Shane. They deserve respect for that. I am a huge fan of the Filipino players, they are the best in the world IMO but that does not mean a few guys won't step up and take a shot when a legit game can be made.

I am pretty sure John Schmidt will play just about anyone a long race of 14.1 as well. Bartram has said he will play Dennis the same way as he did at the Derby 2 years ago. The action is there for them if they want it and I would bet a little something that there will be some kind of match up at the Derby this year between an American and a Filipino.
I hope Dennis and SVB hook-up on TAR next year.
It'd be great.
10-ball I hope.

macneilb
08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
If you want to get better on the bar table, play 15 ball rotation...... I practice rotation everyday.....:cool:

that was awhile ago so i don't know if he practices it anymore, but i'd bet he knows the game

JCIN
08-30-2008, 01:47 PM
that was awhile ago so i don't know if he practices it anymore, but i'm sure he knows the game
LOL...thats a trip because in the last two years I have never seen him play the game whether he was practicing on a big or small table. I guarantee he will not play Efren, Alex or Dennis that game.

I have to say that if Shane wrote that post it is the first one I have ever seen with proper spelling and capitalization.

macneilb
08-30-2008, 02:05 PM
LOL...thats a trip because in the last two years I have never seen him play the game whether he was practicing on a big or small table. I guarantee he will not play Efren, Alex or Dennis that game.

I have to say that if Shane wrote that post it is the first one I have ever seen with proper spelling and capitalization.

i agree. you've seen the guy practice more so you'd definately have a more educated opinion than me, and i do agree w/ you that he most likely wouldn't play an efren or a ronnie in rotation, but apparently the dude's familiar w/ the game. i'm kinda curious how his rotation game is anyway...it'd definately be cool to see at some point.

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Well, since you missed that post, you have perhaps not seen this either. (Somewhere in the action room, I think):

I am challenging all American's, in any game. 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, 14-1, one-pocket, banks or rotation, for any amount if 10 000 $ or more, on barbox or big table.

If 10-ball I will give any American the 7-ball, and just to make it a fair game I will give up the breaks, I will play with one hand only (me left, of course) and with a wrasps'nest stucked inside my pants.

Any takers? PM me. I will be in the States for the US Open and Derby City Classic

Mahal kita

Efren "Bata" Reyes

JCIN
08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, since you missed that post, you have perhaps not seen this either. (Somewhere in the action room, I think):
I would like to know who really wrote that. LOL

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I would like to know who really wrote that. LOL

I have to admit I just made it up... Don't know if the username "Bata" even exist :o

JCIN
08-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I have to admit I just made it up... Don't know if the username "Bata" even exist :o
Nicely done. I had a mental image of Efren hopping around a table in a cloud of wasps running out one handed with a big smile on his face. :D

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Nicely done. I had a mental image of Efren hopping around a table in a cloud of wasps running out one handed with a big smile on his face. :D

I think I got the same picture inside my head :)

Of course, it would just have been luck if he had won :D

Marvel
08-30-2008, 03:34 PM

Gotta add here, that in Rotation, Ronnie is far ahead of Alex and Dennis, nowadays ahead of Efren also.

I'd say there are about a dozen players in the Philippines, who would murder Alex in Rotation. Maybe more. Old skool players who still have the touch, would do it all. Especially on slow-nap..

Marvel
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
And adding also, that maybe 'South Dakota Kid' meant that when practicing 15 -balls rotation, he's like playing 10-balls with 15 balls.

The real rules of game called 'Rotation', are far different of course, and there's no really point practicing it, unless you want to make a living by playing it in Philippines provinces. And that wont be easy I can tell you ;)

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Gotta add here, that in Rotation, Ronnie is far ahead of Alex and Dennis, nowadays ahead of Efren also.

I'd say there are about a dozen players in the Philippines, who would murder Alex in Rotation. Maybe more. Old skool players who still have the touch, would do it all. Especially on slow-nap..

Efren beat Alcano just a month ago 15-12, and Alcano barely beat Django and Orcullo 15-12 and 15-13, Alcano demolished Alex 15-6, but Alex won 21-20 against Dennis.

The correct order would still be Efren #1, Alcano #2 in rotation. Atleast that is the saying in Manila

Marvel
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Efren beat Alcano just a month ago 15-12, and Alcano barely beat Django and Orcullo 15-12 and 15-13, Alcano demolished Alex 15-6, but Alex won 21-20 against Dennis.

The correct order would still be Efren #1, Alcano #2 in rotation. Atleast that is the saying in Manila

Thank's for the updates/news.

But, what it comes to Efren and his reputation, they wont put players easily infront of him, we both know that ;)

I know that Ronnie's and Efren's rotation has been back and forth, but for example if you can find their exhibition from youtube (it's actually played with modern 9-ball rules), Ronnie is demolishing Efren. Ok, that's just a one match (like in your example), but let's say that the Master is getting old and the pupil has been quite strong for years already..

Few years back Alex was just a student and a short stop in Rotation, as the others who spent their youth in Ph. all were raised with that game. (Alex spent his early career mainly in Canada) And, those, whose youth has been in the 80's and early 90's, played ONLY rotation, and with the old skool masters. Not like these youngsters, who only play it for the tradition as the attention has been mainly on 9-b/10-b for a many years now.

Let's not forget that it was not until early 90's when 9-ball break through in Ph..

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Last weekend Efren beat Alcano 5-1 in an exhibition in another tourney :D

Marvel
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Last weekend Efren beat Alcano 5-1 in an exhibition in another tourney :D

Well, I'm actually happy to hear that Roy! :p

Roy Steffensen
08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Me too... It's nice to see him still playing great pool!

I doubt he would be winning much if they played 9-ball, 10-ball, but I guess that the Filipinos feel that they need to beat Efren in rotation, if not he is still the best.

JohnPT
08-30-2008, 04:53 PM

A dozen? And murder too? I think you exaggerate. Alex is no small fish he could hold his own. Sure there are a couple ahead of him but I don't think they are stealing either.

cuetechustla
12-30-2008, 12:00 PM
So have they played yet? I'd give anything to see this :D

donny mills
12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Efren is in his 50's and not in his prime. As far as i know shane is loser playing alex pagu, alcano, and lee van corteza tenball. Efren isn't playing as well as these 3 filipinos, so why would it matter if svb and efren played??

Marcopolo
12-30-2008, 02:14 PM
what's the big deal about svb anyway? why is everyone is so into who he is playing??? remember how he beat earl and cory on the race to 100 at tar, (good for him), but what happen to him after he played Alex. he was up 22 games and still lost by 6 or 7 games.!!!! doesn't Alex get any credit for being the race to 100 winner, is there any challenger so he can defend that title. maybe svb can try again. I would love to see who wants to step up and challenge Alex race to 100 for $10,000. ANYONE???

Myrtle_04
12-30-2008, 02:41 PM
From what I heard down the grapevine. Last year at DCC, they were supposed to play, but shane didn't want to play 9-ball and efren didn't want to play 9-ball.

easy-e
12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
what's the big deal about svb anyway? why is everyone is so into who he is playing??? remember how he beat earl and cory on the race to 100 at tar, (good for him), but what happen to him after he played Alex. he was up 22 games and still lost by 6 or 7 games.!!!! doesn't Alex get any credit for being the race to 100 winner, is there any challenger so he can defend that title. maybe svb can try again. I would love to see who wants to step up and challenge Alex race to 100 for $10,000. ANYONE???

A good buddy of mine who is very "in the know" on all things around the pool world, told me that he thinks the next person who steps up to play Shane a race to 100 in 10 ball is going to get "horse-f***ed". I belive my buddy:D.