PDA

View Full Version : Leather Wrap

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
How much weight do you think a leather wrap adds to the weight of a cue. I Have a schon cue weighed about 18.9 oz before i added the leather wrap to the cue. now i am finding that the cue is too heavy, i really dont want to lose the leather unless i really dont have to. gonna play around with different weight screws first. Just currius on the weight the leather added is all

Thanks Alot
Steve

poolandpokerman
01-11-2008, 06:01 AM
I was told it doesn't change much, but before you do anything, play with it that way for a few weeks. I thought my Schon was too heavy, and was going to sell it and buy a lighter one, now I like it fine. It seems sometimes I pick it up and it is too heavy, sometimes I pick it up and it feels too light. I really can't explain why it feels different from time to time. Good luck, who did you leather?

The Beginner
01-11-2008, 06:17 AM
How much weight do you think a leather wrap adds to the weight of a cue. I Have a schon cue weighed about 18.9 oz before i added the leather wrap to the cue. now i am finding that the cue is too heavy, i really dont want to lose the leather unless i really dont have to. gonna play around with different weight screws first. Just currius on the weight the leather added is all

Thanks Alot
Steve

Depending what type of leather you are going to put on your cue....if you put original leather it will be lighter but if you put embrossed one it will be heavier for you....i put Lizard wrap on my cue made by Mr Webb and it became lighter...and if you want to put leather for your cue..contact Mike Webb at http://webbcues.com ....or Master Kenny aka FLYINGNAILS...

Jun :)

Craig Fales
01-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Leather wraps by themselves weigh .70 of an ounce...so one could say they could add that to a cues weight as irish linen weighs nothing in comparison...

Maniac
01-11-2008, 07:56 AM
It seems sometimes I pick it up and it is too heavy, sometimes I pick it up and it feels too light. I really can't explain why it feels different from time to time.

Gravitational pull vs. the effects of alcohol ;) :D :D :D ???

Maniac

3andstop
01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Don't forget to take into consideration the butt has to be relieved on a lathe in order to accommodate the leather without it lying on top of the shaft. So, we have to weight the sawdust into the equation also. :)

poolandpokerman
01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
The alcohol could make a difference on how it feels, I am sure of that.

Michael Webb
01-11-2008, 08:39 AM
It really depends on the leather and on an individual basis, I have seen them go both ways, I just changed one from Lizard to go back to linen and the cue became a 1/4 oz. heavier, Check your weight bolt to see if you an option there.

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 09:22 AM
I Had the leather put on about 2 months ago by Michael Morgan Cues aka Mike Miller from Long Island. he did an amazing job on the leather, you can hardly see the seam where the tsides meet. I Used a Black Lizard print finish. cause i really like the look and the feel.

My last cue was a schon also which i had the same wrap on it, an i also found that cue to be a little on the heavy side.

My buddy had a leather wrap put on by webb, who actually gets his leather from Mike Miller. He does a great job also with the leather wrap.

I Am gonna tinker with the weight bolt this weekend and see what i come up with. i am thinking of using a titanium screw cut down to like a 1/2 an in long. just long enough to let the bumber screw thread into

Thanks Alot

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi Michael, how is it going? are you still working the Joss Tour?

if you are maybe i will see you working one again soon..

Steve

cueman
01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I Had the leather put on about 2 months ago by Michael Morgan Cues aka Mike Miller from Long Island. he did an amazing job on the leather, you can hardly see the seam where the tsides meet. I Used a Black Lizard print finish. cause i really like the look and the feel.

My last cue was a schon also which i had the same wrap on it, an i also found that cue to be a little on the heavy side.

My buddy had a leather wrap put on by webb, who actually gets his leather from Mike Miller. He does a great job also with the leather wrap.

I Am gonna tinker with the weight bolt this weekend and see what i come up with. i am thinking of using a titanium screw cut down to like a 1/2 an in long. just long enough to let the bumber screw thread into

Thanks Alot
Have you actually had the cue weighed since you added the leather wrap? I would be curious myself to know how much it actually added to the weight. How about having it weighed on the exact same scale you checked it on before you had the wrap installed and let us know the acutal difference.

Michael Webb
01-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks Alot

Hi Steve
Look forward to seeing you, I didn't know Mike Miller was a supplier of leather. If your weight bolt is a 3/8X16 with a head on it, try a plastick toilet bolt and have it drilled and tapped for the 8/32's screw.

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Mike Miller told me a few times in the past that he had supplied you with some leather, unless he was BSing me !

Not sure i follow what you are saying about the toilet paper idea.

Is this to ensure that i get some ASS on my shots !! LOL

Thanks Alot
Steve

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
When i bought the cue i got it with 2 shafts. i was told with one shaft it was 18.7oz and the other it was 18.9oz , unfortunatly i dont have a scale that could give me weights in oz's that accuratly. maybe one day i will bring it to the post office and see if they can do it for me.

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey Mike,

Private message me, maybe you can set the screw up for me, and ship it to me and i will send you a money order or something like that. dont know how soon i will be going to one of the joss tour stops. dont think any are coming to my neck of the woods..

Steve

Michael Webb
01-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Mike Miller told me a few times in the past that he had supplied you with some leather, unless he was BSing me !

Not sure i follow what you are saying about the toilet paper idea.

Is this to ensure that i get some ASS on my shots !! LOL

Thanks A lot
Steve

Any hardware sells in a set of two, 3/8X16 nylon bolts for holding the toilet seat on, One can be converted to the way Schon does their bolts, check and see if you have an aluminum or steel bolt in your cue, Once you figure out what's in there I'll know which way to help you.

stevekur1
01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, i tried to get the screw out ! with no luck, affraid of doing damage to the screw that is there. i will try later on when i find a bigger screwdriver. the screw that is there is alluminum colored. but who knows how long it is!

Thanks
Steve