PDA

View Full Version : ball cleaning question

kennyratt
01-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Is there any cleaner and or polish on the market that is locally accessible. Similar to Aramith ball cleaner but you could pick it up @ Walmart , Auto parts store, Lowe's, or hardware store. But has to be COMPLETELY safe for the balls and the cloth. I am building a ball polisher and wondered if something was available locally, without having to order it & wait.Also maybe as cost effective. Thanks in advance for your replys; Regards, Kennyratt

rogerb
01-11-2008, 06:57 AM
There are two products that you could try, both should be safe to use. They sell a paste cleaner for the glass top ranges, its safe enough to not scratch the glass so it should be fine for pool balls, the other product that comes to mind is bonami .

radge69
01-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Windex, works great.

3andstop
01-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Here's a good choice, I like that it is also recommended for plexiglas.

http://www.brillianize.com/index.html

jcue
01-11-2008, 08:13 AM
For 10 years I used Turtle Wax (2 drops per ball). I put it in a different bottle and told people it was my "secret formula". I'd still be using it if I hadn't sold my place.

Jim Griffin

dmgwalsh
01-11-2008, 08:26 AM
For what it is worth, "Mr. 400", John Schmidt likes using turtle wax.

steveinflorida
01-11-2008, 08:48 AM
For several years now I have used the liquid Turtle Wax
mixed 50/50 with water. Use a spray bottle and all you need is just a few shots as the balls are turning. they come out looking new and NO residue. Be sure to shake the bottle well before each use as it will seperate.

Drew
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I clean my balls with soap and water every morning. You never know who might be handling them later in the day.

JoeW
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
I used Pledge furniture polish (spray can) for many years until Aramith came out with their own cleaner. While I now use Aramith's cleaner I can't tell the difference between Pledge and Aramith. Bob Jewett says that Aramith is not wax (according to their company). However, it does haze up when it dries just like any wax I have used.

BTW I have an automatic ball return and its a good idea to put a little Pledge in the pockets and on the rails on occassion. When my table was initially installed by Brunswich certified tecs they put some sort of wax (probably carnuba) in the pockets and on the return rails. I have done it ever since and the balls tend to stay cleaner longer. Just wiping the pockets with Pledge (if you have leather drop pockets) would be helpful.

Of course I also use it on the table too :-) all-in-one panecea.

av84fun
01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Windex, works great.

Ingredients:

Isopropanol
2-Butoxyethanol
Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether
Water

Those are solvents. Not a good idea IMHO.

And there is the issue of cleaning and polising, which are two different things.

Home users...be aware that commercial users can "get away" with using products that we home table owners can't...because the commercial tables get re-covered far more frequently than ours so residue build-up is far more of an issue.

Regards,
Jim

kennyratt
01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Just a thanks to all for your replys.!!!! I'll try to see what works best!Regards, Kennyratt

AnitoKid
01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I use Pledge. Recommended by one of my good friends - E.B.